Norseman 29-Apr-16
greg simon 29-Apr-16
IdyllwildArcher 29-Apr-16
greg simon 30-Apr-16
midwest 30-Apr-16
Royboy 30-Apr-16
Aaron Johnson 30-Apr-16
29-Apr-16
First of all I will start off by making it clear I am not complaining. So my strategy for applying for elk tags is apply for one that I have a pretty good chance at getting, then apply for some longer shots in premium states. If nothing is drawn hunt OTC. So far that strategy had allowed me to hunt in Wyoming and Colorado.

Well this year things have changed. After losing count of the number of times "unsuccessful" has appeared by my name the draw gods smiled on me this year. First I drew a Montana tag in the breaks. Next Arizona 5BSouth. Then New Mexico 16D. Unfortunately I have not purchased any lotto tickets lately but I figure I've used up all my luck anyway!

If I understand the regs correctly I can turn the MT tag in for an 80% refund. New Mexico I got first season 9/1-9/14. AZ is 9/9 - 9/22. So if anyone is looking for me this September I will be elk hunting in the Southwest!!!!!

Then probably hunting Colorado OTC every year after for the rest of my life!

29-Apr-16
Awesome! Congrats. It would be nice to have them spread out a bit obviously, but at least YOU can draw them! LOL!

29-Apr-16
Wow, I guess you're not complaining! (big grin) I love your final sentence, if it were me it would be 100% true seeing my success at drawing anything! (grin) Good luck!

ElkNut1

29-Apr-16
Great Tags Greg, Best of luck on you hunts!!!

29-Apr-16
Holy cr@p on a cracker! You must have touched the infamous "golden horseshoe".

Good luck and enjoy the ride in 2016!

29-Apr-16
Holy moly....congrats!

29-Apr-16
You've got one heck of a season in front of you!!

29-Apr-16
With the way your luck is so far you'll probably draw elk in Nevada and Utah too!

29-Apr-16
Congrats!

29-Apr-16
Thanks guys!! No chance of drawing Nevada, points only there. But Utah...I had forgotten about that! The anticipation and preparation time is fun for me. Great motivation to exercise! Hopefully I will be able to post some trophy photos this fall.

29-Apr-16
Better pick up a lotto ticket just to be sure! Win that and you can buy a ranch haha!

29-Apr-16
Congrats!

29-Apr-16
16D good one!!! I am a resident and have never had the tag!

29-Apr-16
Congrats! Can I come rub you head for luck. Have a great September!

29-Apr-16
odds are certainly less than 1% of drawing those three tags.

29-Apr-16
I might consider changing my name for a year to Greg Simon if there was a NM 16D tag in it for me

29-Apr-16
Spend the whole 2 weeks in 16d for sure. Let me know if you need any help. Looks like I'll never draw their again.....8(

29-Apr-16
Norseman, Thanks. I've never hunted elk in anything like a "premium unit". Wyoming general is the best I've been in. I killed a spike there last year so it looks like I'm going to get to set the bar a little higher this year!

29-Apr-16
Grats!

Montana has a long season, you could go for the trifecta...

If I were you, I'd show up to NM several days early with the idea of scouting and trying to get a bull early so you could maximize your time in AZ.

30-Apr-16
My plan is to return the MT tag. Allowing someone else to get to hunt. Then concentrate on NM and AZ. They are close together and season dates will allow me to start hunting 9-1 until 9-22 and I will hunt until I have tagged out or season closes. Then head home and see if I still have a wife, kids, job, etc... Ha ha!

30-Apr-16
Good plan greg....so jealous!

Please, please, please take lots of pics then come back here and share your hunt!

30-Apr-16
Good plan, early arrival in NM is a good idea

30-Apr-16
Greg,

Shoot me a PM and I can get you some fresh intel on 5BS.

I had a group of friends go last year and they did well.

AJ

• Sitka Gear