Mad_Angler 04-May-16
Hawkeye 04-May-16
Brotsky 04-May-16
Hawkeye 04-May-16
Mad Trapper 06-May-16
Mark Watkins 06-May-16
Bou'bound 06-May-16
01-May-16
Particularly liked the arrow shot placement segment! Well done guys!

01-May-16
These two guys were always my favorite turkey hunters to watch, mainly because of their personalities. No bragging, no bs, just common guys who love to turkey hunt. And they know how to kill turkeys. Well done Pat !

01-May-16
Very informative even for the experienced turkey hunter

01-May-16
Fine pic for experts, Pat.

They were hunting turkeys back when hearing a gobble was a big deal and people thought all gobblers had Ph.Ds for smarts.

Interesting that these two stayed partners, and friends, all these years.

Always enjoyed interviewing both of them. Still just a pair of game-killin,. country boys down the holler.

01-May-16
I meet them years and years ago at a WTF meeting at LBL Ky. Great people

01-May-16
I met both of them at a NWTF convention here in Charlotte. They are 2 of the nicest guys in the hunting industry. Both thanked me for using their products and when I mentioned that one of the calls was from a competitor they complimented it too. Just good folks

01-May-16
These guys were pioneers in deer and turkey calls. Great people. Great calls. Had they been younger when elk hunting hit mainstream, they'd be right in the middle of it too. God Bless

01-May-16
As stated above, very informative with a little for everybody regardless of experience level.

One thing i found interesting, on shot placement with a bow, sounded to me like they were for a low hit? From reading other places here, i thought the saying was "hit em high watch em die, hit em low watch em go". Now, im not really saying right or wrong on either. Ive shot st 5 springtime birds in my life, harvesting all but one. 3 of my 4 kills were all right at my aiming point, which has always been just above the copper patch on the wing he mentioned. The 4th kill i hit as he stated, straight above the legs as he was out of strut. All 4 hits resulted in pretty quick kills with little distance traveled from impact. The 5th, the one i lost, video showed that i apparently hit square on what im guessing was the hardest bone at the top of the wing, as that wing was at an odd angle due to the turkey flinching a little upon my release. I broke the wing, but didnt get deep enough to hit vitals. Last sign of him i saw was 300 yds away and never found him.

So i dont really know what is right or wrong as far as shot placement on turkeys, i personally have done well aiming and hitting around the wing butt, but also have learned the hard way that the wrong place there can result in that awful feeling that takes a loooonnnggg time to go away, if it ever really does. I just found this interesting as these guys obviously carry a lot of experience with them and they kinda vouch for the vitals being "low" and go against what the popular saying among some of the diehard turkey bowhunters here say about hitting high.

Again, i very much enjoyed the interview. Pat, thanks, my favorite feature since i joined bowsite a few years ago.

01-May-16
Stick n string, I was thinking the same thing and that's the one thing I highly question their response too ... Western birds must have higher vitals then eastern birds.. Other stuff some good info to share with all as if any of its helps at least one person be more successful it's worth it. Thanks pat for the interview.

02-May-16
They seem to like to aim right above the drumstick on a bird. Hit little higher and it's a gut shot bird. Hit lower break the legs. I can see where some guys like that idea but I've dissected turkey anatomy and I still say hit them higher is always better. If you pluck a bird you'll see the lungs are very very high. Most gut shot turkeys if not chased will only go a little ways an lay down. They usually die within 10-20 minutes sometimes sooner. None the less good stuff always love watching those guys when I was in high school wishing one day to kill as many as them. They pioneered the game no doubt!!

02-May-16
Dbl post

02-May-16

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo

02-May-16
They aim where they do because of what Joe said. They been saying that for decades. A turkey with broke legs can't get air born being why they suggest it. Just a different approach. God Bless men

02-May-16

AXE MAN 's embedded Photo
AXE MAN 's embedded Photo
THE right Qs were Asked, well done ..but as SOME questioned....I would hit them high er with a bow....and use and Expandable( Trocar Hybrid) or More by Muzzy for a neck /head . Low is not the way to go with bow ( 8 harvested with BH, all 4 N Am for Turkey SLAM ) 82 GOBBLERS total ( Ga, AL, FL, PA TX and CO) .

Using 2-3 calls at once has

02-May-16
Pat another reason I don't advise that is because that shot is only possible on broadside bird. Can't break both legs head on or facing away. But I would much rather see a person shoot too far back on a broadside bird than forward. Guts are more lethal than boobies. Either way not trying to argue which is better just giving my preference. I'm bout burnt out on turkeys this season time for velvet!!

02-May-16

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo
For elevation, I imagine a line from the root of the beard to their pooper on broadside shots. For front or rear I just shoot at the middle. A tad higher may be better but when strutting, there is a whole bunch of nothing up high. I shoot trad and like them close.

03-May-16
We have plenty of "where to aim" threads. I hope this doesn't turn into one of those...

I really enjoyed the parts of the interview that I have listened to so far.

I started turkey hunting about 10 years ago. I started with several K&H videos. They were solid videos and helped a lot. I still use some of the things I learned in those videos.

Congratulations Pat on landing such "big fish" of the turkey hunting world.

03-May-16
I was fortunate to grow up about 30 miles away from Harold and David. I remember when they used to have folks assemble their calls in the back of Harold's barber shop. They are the best turkey hunters that I have ever met and they have a world of knowledge to share. Kudos to Pat for having the interview!!

03-May-16
Great interview lots of knowledge right there!

03-May-16
Mad, not to take anything away from Pat, but those two guys have been like that with the media for decades.

The Wall Street Journal was the same as some small town weekly newspaper columnist.

Call the plant, and if they're in and not swamped they'll talk to you.

03-May-16
Great interview. Those guys have bunch of experience that we can all learn from. Thanks for putting it together.

03-May-16
Hope you do something similar on deer calling this fall, Pat.

They'd be good.

Knight and Hale came out with the first really popular grunt call that really took off.

They'll tell you, though, that Brad Harris at Lohman tried to come out with it earlier, but that company didn't support what Harold and David quickly saw was a coming trend in deer hunting.

03-May-16
These guys have always been held in high regard by others in the industry. Great interview and great choice of experts.

04-May-16
What about their comments on strutters versus jakes? It seems that most people on the bowsite prefer Jakes.

I have an old Pretty boy strutter. Should i be using it more? Usually i use a DSD jake.

04-May-16
Really great interview and thanks so much for bringing it to us here. My favorite part was the advice about the kids as with two little boys I put more thought into when to start them versus any calling technique or broadhead.

So that in itself was worth it to me.

Thanks so much Pat :-)

04-May-16
Great choice Pat! Really enjoyed the interview and picked up a few things along the way. The best thing about turkey hunting is there is always something to learn!

04-May-16
I aim for the head anymore but did shoot one in the drummies in Nebraska this year and was over quick. I'm a drumstick guy with MBH but I think as long as your in line with the leg your gold. Further forward and your pushing the limit as too close the breast IMO.

06-May-16
Class Acts. Always have been. I wonder how many birds those guys have taken over the years.

06-May-16
Amen to the class acts!

The world needs a lot more folks like them!

Learned a bunch....thanks for making this happen Pat!

Mark

06-May-16
But can they consistently take 'bama birds? They are great but are they truly at the next level?

• Sitka Gear