Bill in MI 02-May-16
ElkNut1 02-May-16
Bowboy 02-May-16
ColoBowman 02-May-16
arctichill 02-May-16
BULELK1 03-May-16
Darrell 03-May-16
02-May-16
For the first time since 2000, I drew my first choice elk tag. 2nd archery hunt in 36, my old stomping grounds. Yes, i am stoked. While I believe most of what I learned by hiking countess miles and killing two P & Y bulls in the 90s still is good, I know I need current info and would love to visit via email with others who have been there in the last few years. I have a few areas where I plan to concentrate my efforts but want to make the most out of what is likely my last time to be in some of my favorite places. I'm sure my odds of drawing the tag will continue to get worse and I just turned 50 so this could be my last rodeo around Ruidoso.

Please PM me with your email address if you can help me out. I spent a lot of time all over the unit from 91-99 so I will at least know of most drainages and water tanks. It has been my first choice every year so this is not your "I just drew a 36 tag, never been there, don't know anything about it but can someone tell me where to shoot a good bull" thread. I don't post as much as I used to, but I've been on the Bowsite almost since its beginning.

Thanks in advance!

02-May-16
Great to hear Darrell!

I wish I could help you. As you know, it has been a pretty good tag. Just been getting tougher to get.

And I will vouch for Darrell. (FWIW!)I have been on BS since late 90's and he has given a lot to Bowsite over the years. (Sharpening Snuffer's, helping others, and one of the best/articulate anti-hunter responses ever, etc)

Help him if you can.

02-May-16
Good luck, Darrell! Looking forward to hunt report!

02-May-16
Happy for you Darrell...only wish I had been on that app with you! :)

Sorry, I have nothing to offer as far as help goes.

02-May-16
Glass from Monjeau tower and the sharp turns on road to ski resort. Without question you will find several 300-350 bulls to go after.

no brainer.

If you want give me a call but tbh if you do that you will find some great bulls.

02-May-16
Darrel, we have talked before. send me a pm. I put a friend in there last year who was covered with Bulls and never saw another hunter. You will have to do the leg work but it shouldn't be a problem for you to also have a good hunt. Another member here has good info and may contact you as well but I can't speak for him.

02-May-16
PM me

02-May-16
Darrel, congrats on drawing your tag! Good luck sir!

ElkNut1

02-May-16
Have fun and shoot a big one!

02-May-16
I just recently moved to Artesia and am planning several camping trips to explore the area up in 36. I would be glad to let you know if I find anything worth while.

02-May-16
I have a plethora of current information including trail cam pics and GPS coordinates that I was very eager to share upon reading the title of this thread. Then I saw the OP was Darrell. Sadly, Darrell recently called me out on a friendly joke and accurately predicted that I wouldn't have any luck in the NM draw. As much as I would love to help I am still a bit bitter!

Sorry Darrell! Lol...in all honesty, I would help you if I could, but I don't spend much time in 36.

03-May-16
Good for you Darrell

Enjoy it all and have fun

Good luck, Robb

03-May-16
Sorry Arctic but the low hanging fruit was too easy to pass up. I wish I had the power to cause some to draw and some not to. However, my 15 years of not drawing 36 is obviously proof that I do not.

Thanks everyone for your replies and PMs. I'm sure I will have plenty of back up places if my old honey holes are not what they used to be.

• Sitka Gear