onX Maps
facktor, nitrum and defiant which one...
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
rershooter 19-May-16
Bowfreak 19-May-16
Pyrannah 19-May-16
Ermine 19-May-16
Bowfreak 19-May-16
Barty1970 19-May-16
wyliecoyote 19-May-16
alpinebowman 19-May-16
Mark Watkins 19-May-16
elknutTX 20-May-16
bigswivle 20-May-16
kota-man 20-May-16
Beendare 20-May-16
Mark Watkins 20-May-16
Beendare 21-May-16
Ermine 21-May-16
bullelk 21-May-16
kota-man 21-May-16
12yards 22-May-16
HUNT MAN 22-May-16
ChrisH. 23-May-16
Bowfreak 23-May-16
Mark Watkins 23-May-16
kota-man 23-May-16
Beendare 23-May-16
kota-man 23-May-16
ELKMAN 23-May-16
Mark Watkins 23-May-16
Ermine 24-May-16
elknutTX 26-May-16
ELKMAN 27-May-16
elknutTX 27-May-16
rershooter 27-May-16
ELKMAN 28-May-16
19-May-16
I know when a new bow comes out its always "the best bow ever" but now that these have all been out for awhile what are the hits and misses of each? and rank each of the 3 from top(best) to bottom (worst) and why.

19-May-16
Haven't shot the Faktor or the Defiant. I would immediately put the Faktor last as it has the rigid roller. It doesn't mean they won't shoot great just that I love the ZT roller guard. The Defiant is nice but didn't appeal to me since I shoot my Nitrum so well. I do think that the Defiant is more quiet than the other 2 but it is probably the slowest also. I really like my Nitrum and would like to pick up another one or a Carbon Spyder ZT as it has the same cams as mine.

19-May-16
I received a good deal on a 34 faktor. I shoot it really well despite having the rigid roller.

I haven't shot the others.

19-May-16
They are all great! But if I had to choose I would pick a defiant. I don't have a defiant but I have shot one and my step dad got a carbon defiant 34. I think the defiant is a great bow. One of the top Hoyts ever made. With that said I have a carbon spyder turbo.

19-May-16
One other thing to mention. I am resisting the Defiant due to the requirement for certain presses. I have a homemade press that works great but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the new limb configuration.

19-May-16

Barty1970's embedded Photo
Barty1970's embedded Photo
Haven't been able to shoot the Nitrum or the Defiant [pro shops stocking all makers bows are very rare here in the UK], but did shoot the Spyder

I upgraded my '02 UltraTec XT2000 twin cam buying the Faktor 34 [brand new in 2014] which shoots well for me; very quiet, no hand shock...this is broadhead practice at 60 yards, Spot Hogg Hogg-It five pin sight, 60# bow shooting 29", Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350s with 3 x 4" Vanetec Max 4 and 125 gr Slick Trick Magnums [438gr total] using a Trophy Taker Smackdown Pro rest

19-May-16
I am just another fahktor 34 happy customer.....I have absolutely nothing bad to say about this bow and they are very affordable compared to a new Defiant.

Joe

19-May-16
I haven't seen any issues with the static roller guards with the customer bows I have tuned over the years. Just tuned up a vector 32 last night that shoots real nice. I to don't like the new press requirements of the defiant and I have heard more than usual there have been some tuning difficulties on them as well. Usually don't put much stock in talk but it was more than usual so it makes me think there have been some issues. with my limited knowledge from what I have heard from others though I would go nitrum, faktor than defiant at the moment.

19-May-16
I've owned all three. Currently own two Defiants and the Faktor...all are 34" bows.

In overall repeatable and consistent accuracy, I would rate them as follows: 1: Defiant 2: Faktor 3: Nitrum

The Defiants are the smoothest drawing and shooting of the three models and also the quietest (they are all quiet). Speed is almost exactly the same regardless of the posted IBO speeds.

In the end of the day, they are all smooth shooting, accurate hunting bows!

Mark

20-May-16
im with barty and w/coyote I upgraded my 04 x tec got a Faktor 34 luv it [63lb 27.5dl 400grain axis 280fps] I do have tune question paper tune I was getting right tear [am lefty] I put few twist in r.s. yoke took most of it out is this common on that bow w static roller

20-May-16
Got a carbon defiant a couple months ago(loved it) just traded it for the carbon defiant turbo. I shoot a heavy arrow and the turbo has some more speed.

20-May-16
I've owned them all as well and agree with Mark's assessment to "T"...

20-May-16
Mark, so i take it you haven't had the timing problems guys are complaining about with those Defiants?

What module position you using?

20-May-16
No timing issues on either Defiant. Module position "B".

Mark

21-May-16
Gotcha, it seems the higher mod settings are having the issues with those Defiants.

Big range on those Defiants; 30 1/2", 33", 34" and the carbon defiant is 31".

i would be interested to hear comments from guys, especially some longer draw guys on hoyts claim that string angle is the same or better with the short axle bows and the new limb design

21-May-16
Timing issues?? What do you mean by timing issues.

I time all my bows when I get them. A lot of bows don't come timed correctly.

21-May-16

bullelk's embedded Photo
bullelk's embedded Photo
I bought the Defiant 34 and so far I'm liking it.

21-May-16
Beendare...I bought a Defiant 30 thinking the limb shape might help. IMO, it is not a big deal. The 30" Defiant still has too much string angle for my liking. I MUCH prefer my 34 and shoot it much better, especially at 40+ yards.

22-May-16
No loser here. I usually buy couple year old bows and in this case I'd probably find myself a Faktor 34 in nice condition because I'd get the best price on one. IMVHO, there is little difference in the three. I think the Defiant is probably the best of the three, but I wouldn't want to spend the money on one.

22-May-16
While mine was out of time from the factory. It was no big deal To get back to specs. I did however have to tune my rest a 16 th inside of center. That after I leaned the cam . Shoots great . Very excited to hunt with this bow this year. Defiant 34 number 2 cam set at 29. Hunt

23-May-16
I have a Nitrum Turbo. It is a really sweet shooting bow. Not as forgiving as the 34 though. I have shot the Defiant quite a bit and it is a really smooth bow. It comes with a limb stop that makes it incredibly solid, even without the limb stop its more solid than lulu Nitrum. The new limb pocket allows for an extremely comfortable anchor, just an all around comfortable bow to shoot.

23-May-16
I didn't read about timing issues. I read about nock travel issues. In summary, if you are a bare shaft tuner the Defiant may not give you the results you are looking for.

23-May-16
Yea, but Kota...you have a 196" wingspan!

In regards to the limb stops on the new Defiants.

Who uses them, who doesn't? necessary? like them?

I shot both ways and stayed without them.

Mark

23-May-16
you know what they say about a "big wingspan" (or, wait, is that big hands)...My limb stops are "in" for the time being. Haven't shot it without yet.

23-May-16

Thx Kota.

I've only read about Defiant guys on the longer end of module length having problems with vertical tear that cannot shoot a bullethole....lots of them.

Whether thats nok travel or timing- potato/potahto

23-May-16
I'm a 29" draw and had mine shooting bullet holes before I left the shop. (#2 cam set at 29") Did you get my PM? We had a little power surge about the time I hit send.

23-May-16
The Nitrum and the Defiant lines are both far superior to the Faktor, and the Faktor is a great bow! But there were sweeping changes in riser geometry,(Offset and tunneled to achieve a wider platform) and a huge innovation in the radical reduction of riser deflection induced by cables with the ZT cable guard system. Then the Defiant line went even further with new limb angles, and near twice the preload creating far higher cable tensions, there by creating a lot more solid back wall, and the new cams in conjunction with the new preload on the limbs keep the bows from collapsing as much when you draw them, thus creating a far better(wider) string angle putting your eye much closer to your peep and putting your anchor/head in a much more natural position. As far as the whole nock travel issue that was associated with early run of #2 cams, that was just a cable length issue that was addressed early on, or it VERY easily can be with the help of a good tweaker... PM if you need help. (Get the Defiant)

23-May-16
Ok, ok....enough with all this "bow talk" already....the wind has switched...I'm out of the office and headed home to shoot (and then run and then shoot again)!

Mark

24-May-16
My step dads carbon defiant 34 tuned very easy and shoots perfect bullet holes thru paper! Tuned with the cams hitting at the same time.

26-May-16
Iposted reply to post last week also a tune queston on factor 34 what appreciate info/replay elkman you seem knowledgeable on hoyt. thanks

27-May-16
Yes sir. Glad to help. These new Defiants are amazing!

27-May-16
ELKMAN you or anyone with hoyt tune experience I could use imput I posted on 20th about paper tear, I put cam lean in [r,s, yoke] seems to help some is this common

27-May-16
I tried everything under the sun to get my Vector Turbo to shoot broadheads same as field tips. Nothing worked until I put cam lean in. 2 twist in one side 2 out of the other.

28-May-16
Elknut- What is your exact issue and set up and we will get it handled for sure. PM me also, I tend to loose track of these threads...LOL

• Sitka Gear