Zinger 24-May-16
CurveBow 24-May-16
Jaquomo 24-May-16
Smtn10PT 24-May-16
willliamtell 24-May-16
APauls 24-May-16
ohiohunter 25-May-16
20-May-16
I'll be going on my first Elk Hunt in New Mexico and curious what you guys think about using lighted nocks. I've been watching as many YT videos of NM Archery hunts and it seems like a lot of guys have a hard time seeing/knowing if or where they hit their elk...

It will just be two of us on this hunt and we will be running cameras so we may or may not get good enough footage to play it back to see...

So what are you guys experiences!?

20-May-16
Assuming they don't affect your arrow flight, I see no downside to using them. I use them everywhere I can. Not only do they make tracking impact a little easier, they can help locate your arrow (and possibly your animal) in certain situations.

20-May-16
Cons: They cost more and might slightly change your tune.

Pros: They make it easier to see the arrow path and maybe find an arrow after a shot. And they look like a blaster shot from Star Wars.

I think the odds are low they will change the outcome of a hunt.

20-May-16
Critical? No. Aid in identifying where you it as well as recovering your arrow? Yes very helpful.

I killed a bull last fall 30-yard quartering away. Drilled him about where I wanted, definitely double-lung. Not pass-thru as arrow lodged in offside shoulder.

Surprised the heck out of me, but when hit the bull ROCKETED into high gear and covered a couple hundred yards in seconds. Too quickly for me to make a cow call to slow him down.

I watched him disappear behind a particular bush and immediately hiked to the bush to GPS the location.

This was just before dark, so not seeing the elk immediately nearby, I retrieved my backpack and headlamp, then returned to the location maybe 30-min later.

Thanks to lots of rain, ground was covered in tall grass and the bull had been galloping full speed. Tracks impossible to pick out in the grass and he was traveling so fast any blood would have been sporadic.

After walking maybe a hundred yards or so (by headlamp, as it was now dark) I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me as I could make out a tiny green light...my lighted nock in the bull's side.

I crept to him and sure enough, dead as a stone.

However, without the lighted nock in his side I would have had a REALLY hard time finding the bull until daylight (and risk losing some meat).

No downside to lighted nocks IMO.

20-May-16
We usually drop appx 5-7, 7-1/2 shot bbs into a standard nock with a drop or two of epoxy (to weigh the same as the lighted nocks). No hassle to practice with these and you do not have to worry about arrow flight when you install the lit nocks.

20-May-16
Killer idea KS!

20-May-16
If you use the bb idea, just make sure and actually shoot the arrows once the lighted nock is installed before the hunt as removing and reinstering a new nock from the one practiced with could be misaligned.

Just make a couple of practice shots with your actual hunting arrows before shooting it at an animal. Better safe than sorry.

20-May-16
I have lighted knocks, and practice with regular knock. I will shoot a lighted to see where it hits with the regular. No difference for me. Maybe if you are an Olympic archer you can tell the difference, but for me I can not.

They are a REAL help in finding your arrow and game. I shot an elk last year in an open park. I got a pass through. After taking care of the elk it got dark, Out in the park about a 100 yards a away I could the red knock glowing.

20-May-16
Any of you guys shoot maxima reds with lighted nocks? Not sure what size they take because of the nock collar.

20-May-16
I think they look cool on video, but I see no need for them. They weigh more than normal nocks

I use bright pink fletching. So it's pretty easy to find my arrows.

20-May-16

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
BTW I too have not seen any difference in point of impact; however, wouldn't hurt to add a little weight like KS points out to eliminate the possibility.

20-May-16
Illegal in ID so have not tried them. Probably still wouldn't if legalized. (grin) I see no benefit here. Good luck to those that do!

ElkNut1

20-May-16
Are lighted nocks legal in Wyoming?

20-May-16
Like others have stated, my nocturnals fly just like my regular nocks. I have used them on my bear hunts and the last several years deer hunting. For me, they make a big difference in seeing impact and giving me valuable info after the shot while still in the stand. Pass through. arrow still in the animal, etc. While I've hunted many years without them and did just fine, I find that they give me more confidence in the overall hunt experience having a positive outcome, much like using my laser rangefinder over stepping off distances or guessing, added confidence in having a successful shot. Just my 2 cents.

20-May-16
The only downside i can think of besides cost is strength....they are not as strong as regular noks and you will find that out if you shoot them in practice. I have not had one go more than 75 shots or so without breaking. These are a few years old...maybe now they are stronger.

i didn't notice any flight difference in my arrows with the slightly heavier noks out to 50 yds [500gr arrow]

Now you might if you are shooting a light arrow.

20-May-16
Nocturnals have saved me several arrows I would not have found or I would have to have came back next morning looking and my eyes don't see as well as they use to...wait nothing works like it used too...I do like tracking the arrow all the way to the animal.

20-May-16
I am in agreement in principle that lighted nocks make total sense.

But, my experience is the same as Beendare.....they (nockturnals) are not as strong as standard nocks...at least on G sized arrows.

I shot a buck two years ago where the flight of the arrow was "unusual"....when i found the arrow the nock was broke but still connected....if that makes sense.

Anybody having good luck with the G sized (injexion) lighted nocks?

Mark

20-May-16
I can see the upside when recovering your game and have never used them due to old laws in Colorado. But before they were legal I always used reflective wraps that really show up when you hit them with a light source. I can see where these might help you if you are not using a light or the elk ends up under a tree limb where a wrap would not be reflective. Only lost one and that was due to heavy rain that lasted all night. No problem using them. Good luck on your hunt!

20-May-16
The g size nocturnal nocks were revamped and made more sturdy last year. Haven't seen the breakage problems like in the past since that change. I can't say for certain they are as strong as a normal nock, but they seem quite a bit tougher than they were. I don't shoot them much so I can't be any more specific on how tough the newer versions are.

21-May-16
What could possibly be a downside to using them? God Bless

21-May-16
Lots of Great input on this topic! Thanks

I'll probably start looking into getting some.

Any brands, weights, models to stay away from or do they all pretty much get the job done!?!?

22-May-16
I prefer nocturnals, easy to use and very bright. Never had any issues with them breaking. They fly just like the factory nocks on my arrows.

Gabe

22-May-16
I've never used them but bought some Nocturnals to try this year. Yesterday I applied six 7 1/2 shot inside a nock and shot it with four other non-weighted nock 450 grain Gold Tips (with weedeater string inside) a with 125 grain heads.

No difference in flight or impact. Thanks for the tip on the lead BBs

22-May-16
Buffalo1....yes, they are legal in Wyoming.

22-May-16
Any body have downsides of using lighted nocks with traditional gear due to slower speeds. (Animals sees incoming arrow?)

22-May-16
Fisherick, I've wondered that myself. My partner shot a bull with one from a recurve and said it didn't affect him. If anything it might make them stand still and receive the arrow. I know the bright flash on my older trail cams sure doesn't phase them.

23-May-16
Some info that may be helpful for those that want to make practice nocks

GoldTip nock - 12 grains

photo 1_zps7nkublrw.jpeg

Luminock - 28 grains

photo 2_zpsa79hdjww.jpeg

Nockturnal - 23 grains

photo 3_zpsk55pustz.jpeg

BB for BBgun - 5 grains

photo 4_zpsfkoq2i6r.jpeg

24-May-16
Saxon, you said "I have lighted knocks, and practice with regular knock. I will shoot a lighted to see where it hits with the regular. No difference for me. Maybe if you are an Olympic archer you can tell the difference, but for me I can not."

don't you know most guys on this site can out shoot olympic archers.........with broadheads on to boot.

24-May-16

I set up a video camera and shot close to it at dusk and you could not see the light at all since it projects rearward. Using a longbow.

A lighted nock helped in my elk recovery last year and if I were to hunt in a state where they are illegal...well, it's your call...

24-May-16
I don't shoot them due to durability issues. I had never had an internal nock fail that I can remember until I tried lighted nocks. I broke about 5 or 6 of the practice nocks that were sisters to the lighted nocks I shoot.

Another easy way to add weight to a nock is with all thread. I buy it in the same size as the GT insert thread (size has left me right now). I can screw it into the insert or glue it into the nock for weight.

24-May-16
fisherick, I wouldn't see a lighted nock making any difference in hunting elk with trad gear. It would be nearly impossible for an elk to pick up the nock light as it is on the rear of an arrow, I'd have to believe the arrow would be in him before he had a clue it was on its way. You should be good to go if you plan on using them!

ElkNut1

24-May-16
No down sides what so ever if you use all the same nock. The problem with them is that they are different than your other nocks, they weigh different and might very well have different fit to the string. This is why I recommend all your nocks be the same. If you go with Nocturnals then I would put them on all my arrows which will cost a lot. This is one reason I use Tracer nocks, buy a 3 pack and they come with 3 practice nocks that are exactley the same so you have 6 nocks that all fly the same.

24-May-16
Are they legal in CO?

>>>>-------->

24-May-16
Bou'bound, ain't that the truth!!

Curvebow, yes they are legal in CO.

24-May-16
Downside they aren't legal in Montana

24-May-16
Does somebody have a list of which State's are legal/illegal for illuminated nocks? Like to avoid dredging through every State's reg's and getting interpretation of 'electronic devices' etc. when it really is a simple question.

24-May-16

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
I've had better luck retrieving arrows with reflective wraps than lighted nocks. had a number of them fill up with enough blood going through the animal that the light wasn't showing any light. A nice reflective wrap just beams when your light swings past it. Quite impressive actually.

As an example here is a pic and as you can tell it is still quite light outside when we took the pictures with a flash on for fill, and look at what the wraps do. I found a missed (gasp) arrow one time burried under grass thanks to the wrap. Saved me lots of $$, and I love the white for in flight visibility, and showing blood.

25-May-16
Sweet unicorn Paul, but you're jacking up your FOC w/ those wraps.. I bet its impossible to get a proper penetration! Hahahaha

Im not a wrap fan, the wraps I've encountered were a mofo to remove.

• Sitka Gear