Brotsky 15-Jun-16
Doc06 23-Jun-16
Nuctech 24-Jun-16
Brotsky 24-Jun-16
12yards 24-Jun-16
Stick1 24-Jun-16
beaneater 25-Jun-16
20-May-16
I've been seeing a lot of commercials for Tin Cup Whiskey. Being a bourbon man, I would love to get my hands on a bottle of this but according to their site, you can only get it is a the Rockin R Ranch store in Dillon, CO. Has anyone on Bowsite tried Tin Cup Whiskey? If so, what is your review?

20-May-16
Yes I have tried it and it's good. It's made by a friend of mine who was the man behind Strannahans Colorado Whiskey. When they sold out to Coors he signed a non compete for a couple of years and then came up with his own brand. It's similar to the Colorado Whiskey, but I don't like it quite as much. Still good and less expensive than the Strannahans. I can't remember where I bought it, but I thought it was readily available.

20-May-16
Pendleton Whiskey. That's where it's at.

20-May-16
You should be able to find it any good liquor store. I would consider it a just ok sipping whiskey. It is real good mixed with Coke and the best I have ever had mixed with soda. Runs around 30 bucks a 5th. I have noticed national marketing picking up for this whiskey too.

If you can get your hands on some JourneyMans Silver cross whiskey, that stuff is good sipping whiskey! :)

20-May-16
Whiskey must be like broadheads, everybody's favorite is the best !

So......George Dickel black label cuts wide, deep, and frequent !

20-May-16
Ya, I find they all offer that "Golden Moment" (grin)

I do think the name is catchy though!

ElkNut1

20-May-16
I find the commercial laughable, a guy rock climbing and drinking whiskey once he makes it to the top. Hopefully he doesn't have to repel down ?

20-May-16
It's not available at just any liquor store that I can find. Their website indicates it is only sold in CO, but will ship to some states, but not NM where I'm at. I was hoping to get some reviews before I go thru the trouble of shipping it to TX. But based on Willow Paw's note, any good bourbon is best neat or on a rock, not mixed with Coke......

20-May-16
I used to free climb a lot in my younger stupid days, and we ALWAYS drank whiskey and built a big bonfire on top of the chimney spires we scaled.

Assuming the helicopter dropped off the whiskey and a pile of firewood before we arrived.

I'm a Scotch guy - bourbon is a little on the sweet side for me.

21-May-16
I bought it here in South Dakota. I do like it, but it's not my favorite.

21-May-16
+1 for cnelk. I too like to let 'er buck.

21-May-16

Beendare's Link
I'm not a huge whiskey fan but liked this 10 mtn stuff. interesting story too...what those 10th mtn army division guys have done...including the distiller of Stranahans- at link

21-May-16
Give me a glass of Balvenie 21 yr Portwood. I'll drink the American stuff if that's what's around and I appreciate it, but none of it holds a candle to the Portwood.

21-May-16
It's one of my favorite whiskeys! It has a bite like a good rye, I can't imagine polluting it with coke! It's regularly available at all but the smallest liquor stores here in Denver area.

21-May-16
A buddy from AK gave me a bottle of Bushmills. Good stuff from what I hear.... I put his name on it, it's on the shelf in my office and it gets a great deal of commentary at the counter in the store.

I tell em "yeah, I have it, but it'snot fer drinkin'... it's jusss for lookin' through....."

21-May-16
Haven't tried it, but it's available here in Wisconsin. I'm a Makers guy. Every bourbon/whiskey drinker needs to try it with ginger beer and a slice of lime. Or a whiskey old fashioned. Dam good

21-May-16
I don't do much drinking anymore but when I did buy expensive whiskey it didn't get mixed with anything. Why spend money for good whiskey and mix it with soda. Buy cheap stuff if you want to do that.

21-May-16
if there was a "like" button, Shuteye's post would get one from me!

21-May-16
Love to try it, my favorite for the last few years is buffalo trace. Smooth whiskey and won't dent your wallet.

Gabe

21-May-16
I'm a huge bourbon fan and there isn't much I haven't tried. We packed a bottle of tin cup up to elk camp a few years ago, mostly because it's a great looking bottle and we've been through the tiny town of Tincup, CO a handful of times. It's a good whiskey, and about what I'd expect for around $30 a bottle. I wouldn't consider it a great sipping whiskey though. We were also a bit disappointed to ultimately find out that it's actually distilled and aged back east, and then shipped to CO to be cut with CO water and then bottled. This kind of sourcing happens a lot, and it's not inherently bad, you just have to do your homework.

I live in TN and see Tincup in several places here BTW.

Now, if you're looking for some good options, I'd recommend a few-

Stranahans- a true CO whiskey and it is fantastic

Colorado Bourbon- made in Salida, CO

Buffalo Trace- really good, especially for the price

Basil Hayden's- smooth low proof drinker

Evan Williams single barrel- another good one for the price

Woodford reserve double Oaked- a great bourbon

Bookers- man candy!

Cheers! Doug

21-May-16
cnelk & Brotsky, 10-4 on the Pendleton! Let'r Buck!

They've got a new one called Midnight but I haven't tried it yet. Also a 12 year old version now.

21-May-16
I like bourbon, but ... Is the "single barrel" stuff really worth it?

Maybe I just have an unsophisticated taste ... But not as bad as Cnelk ... Pendleton, really?

21-May-16
Yeah John..... Pendleton! Good stuff!

21-May-16
When ya'll find a better whiskey than Woodford Reserve- please advise.

It didn't get to be the official whiskey of the Kentucky Derby by accident.

Kentucky and Tennessee know a thing or two about quality whiskey.

21-May-16
Woodford is great I also like Buffalo Trace and Stranahans being a Colorado guy.

21-May-16
Eagle Rare...for my money the best value out there.

21-May-16
Just got a bottle of buffalo trace due to this thread GOOD STUFF!

21-May-16
No jack followers? Maybe four roses :-)

21-May-16
A good friend turn me on to Buffalo Trace . That's a fine bourbon for the price. Thanks Trevor.

22-May-16
it's delicious and cheap. plus it has a cool shot glass that comes with it.

22-May-16
Being a good neighbor is important to me. Given the Bluegrass State is 45 minutes from my liquor cabinet I completely favor fine Kentucky bourbons. I am so not into understanding all the tiny nuances and wherefores of whiskey. I drink what I like and this is some of what I like in no special order:

Colonel E.H. Taylor Single Barrel

Blanton's Single Barrel

Four Roses Reserve and/or Single Barrel

W.L. Weller 12 Year and/or Special Reserve

George T. Stagg and/or Stagg Jr.

Jefferson Reserve Cask Finish

Old Forester 1897 Bonded

Henry McKenna 10 Year Bonded

Eagle Rare

Plenty of others are good too! I particularly like the bonded and higher proof bourbons for cocktails like an Old Fashioned. Stagg Jr is liquid napalm in a fresh bottle but it makes a tremendous mixer (only for you or your finest friends given the price) or on ice after 5-10 minutes. The 125+ proof products are too caustic for me to drink neat...esophageal damage is a nasty possibility.

photo stagg.jpg

I haven't drunk any Colorado whiskey and I've never hunted elk in Kentucky... ;-)

22-May-16
Try northern harvest by crown royal, made right here in Manitoba, it won the worlds best this year and its cheap. Its not bourbon but Canadian whiskey, so its smoother

22-May-16
I like Makers or Woodwards for sipping.I found Buffalo Trace to be OK but it did not "wow" me. I am looking forward to trying Tincup if I can get it here in CT. If you are in New Orleans , you need to check out Kenton's restaurant up on Magazine Street (5757) and check out their bourbon flight. There must be 100 or more bourbons to choose from! The food and service isn't half bad either (it is New Orleans after all).

22-May-16
Yes its pretty good!

But the Peach st distil, Colorado straight bourbon is even better.

22-May-16
OK I'm cheapo budget,but Philadelphia @ $10.00 a bottle suits me just fine.

22-May-16
Angels Envy is really good. I just tried Tin Cup today, pretty dang good!

22-May-16
I'm really surprised no one here has mentioned Forty Creek. Canadian, but absolutely wonderful. Try it.

23-May-16
Whisky with an 'e' i.e. whiskey is from Ireland, such as Jamesons, Powers, Paddy, Bushmills etc

Whisky without an 'e' is the produce of anywhere else Scotland, Minnesota, Japan etc

And never 'Scotch'...

23-May-16
I always wondered about the spelling, spell correct has always allowed me to spell it either way

23-May-16
I just like good ol' Jack.

But for sipping, Basil Hayden is tough to beat. Not as much alcohol as the others, which is nice, particularly when you're trying to cut back. (That's a joke).

But seriously, it's smooth and doesn't hammer you with alcohol.

23-May-16
Haha Jaquomo.... just saw the commercial!!! I always thought you were a bad ass. If they are spending money on commercials, I'd believe you can get it at retailers. I'm a Stranahans fan myself. Ed F

23-May-16
I'm sitting here right now doing my Bowsite thing sipping on some Four Roses - not bad at all.

23-May-16

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here's a list of the worlds best according to international competition.

23-May-16
Sounds like you guys know your whisky. Has anyone ever tried any Pappy Van Winkle?

24-May-16
DL, Picking a rye as #1 tells me that that competition was a total joke. Rye does not make a good whiskey. Barley is for beer. That's why scotch tastes so bad. Whiskey is supposed to be made out of mostly corn. Mix it with some wheat or rye and you have the perfect combination. American Bourbon all the way. I like the corn/wheat based Bourbon. All of the Buffalo Trace distilleries line, Makers Mark and Bulliets are what whiskey is supposed to taste like. You asked about Tin Cup Whiskey. I don't care for it.

24-May-16
Can anyone actually find Pappy Van Winkle?

Along the way I've learned that whiskey is like wine in terms of preference. Find what you like and drink it. Drink it at the temperature you like, and don't be afraid to ice it or even water it if you prefer. It's all about enjoyment. Bourbons with rye are typically spicier/hotter while wheated bourbon drinks with less bite. Pappy is wheated. So is WL Weller which I've learned is made using the same mash-bill as PVW. The primary differences are age and barrel location in the rickhouse. PVW is highly regarded at retail of $250 per fifth if you can ever find it. Recently I happened across Weller Special Reserve for $23. I should've cleared the shelves, but I bought two of them.

In rye bourbons I enjoy many but a couple favorites to sip straight are Four Roses (single barrel or reserve), Blanton's and EH Taylor. EHT is low rye bourbon and the single barrel has scored very well.

24-May-16
I must say, this has been one of the most informative "elk threads" I've read in quite some time. Bowsite is great. ;)

24-May-16
Jim Murray obviously likes Rye Whisky, just like I like Lowa boots it doesn't mean they are for everyone.

I've been lucky enough to try a glass of Pappy's, neat of course. You put anything in Pappy's and you deserve to die a slow, horrible death! It is everything it's made out to be, it might be bottled angel tears for all I know!

Mixers I prefer a good Canadian like Pendleton, Crown, or Forty Creek.

Neat/Rocks, I prefer a good bourbon. Kevin has a very nice list above. I'd add Booker's to his list and die a happy, drunk man.

24-May-16
Kevin Dill, thanks for the very informative post. I have 2 bottles of Pappy. One ten year old and one fifteen year old. Got them for Christmas last year. Just haven't got the nerve or occasion to open one yet.

24-May-16
I have had a few glasses of Pappy. Actually won a 10 year at a silent auction for $175. My brother in law is a big whiskey drinker, and Ive had a glass of his 21 year I believe. Its good stuff.

24-May-16
Heading to Kentucky on business this afternoon, so think I will visit my favorite store and see if anything new (or rare) is on the shelf.

24-May-16
...and not one mention of Ezra Brooks?!? LOL

24-May-16

AH's embedded Photo
AH's embedded Photo
Kevin give this one a try. Great sipper.

24-May-16
Im a Wild Turkey guy myself.

24-May-16
DJnKS, I'll be in Kansas next week. I could stop by and help you come up with a reason to open one of the Pappy's. I've been dying to try it.

24-May-16
I live in Kansas and if you call I could come help. I love good Bourbon and rye on the rocks. Good sipping stuff is like heaven. This is my kind of thread!

24-May-16
I saw Tin Cup on the shelf today but didn't buy it. Can't recall the price but it wasn't bad. Scanned through probably 70 different bourbons and skipped buying any. Noticed EH Taylor SB one bottle with $65 on it. Blanton's was $66. Other nice choices I saw were Booker's, Willet, Angels Envy, Blade & Bow, Michter's, Jefferson ($85!), Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Woodford, Makers 46 and lots of Knob Creek.

So of course I did what any self-respecting guy would do. I crossed the store and bought 2 bottles of good red wine at a steal!

24-May-16
Sipping on regular crown reading this thread after having one of my best bear hunts of all time, lots of big bears but nothing massive so the bowtech didn't go off

24-May-16
Will trade bottle of Pappy for sheep hunt haha

24-May-16
JSW, sounds like a plan, but I won't be around next week. How about I just bring a bottle to New Mexico this fall and we can sip on it during our elk hunt. :)

25-May-16
For readily available whiskeys, I like Bulleit Rye or Buffalo Trace. For a few dollars more, I love some Woodford Reserve as well. Any more expensive than these, and I just don't have a good enough pallet to enjoy them for the price.

Hunter, I'm just waiting for the chance for us to crack a bottle of Buffalo Trace in camp. I'll never forget the day we finally got off the mountain with 2 bulls in 2014. Epic stuff.

25-May-16
Thank You : KT3 I was beginning to think I was all alone in this world. Wild Turkey for me too.

25-May-16
You guys in CO have to get to Estes Park and check out the bar in the Stanley Hotel. Close to 500 whiskey's to choose from.

25-May-16
Does anyone here have access to Weller Special Reserve? Can't find it here

25-May-16

stoneman's embedded Photo
stoneman's embedded Photo
sms, its what's for dinner... along with a WT loin steak, some fruit and salad.

25-May-16
For Colorado try Spirit Hound Whiskey.....only 2 years in the barrel so a little green but tasty. Day in day out for me is Evan Williams 1783.

25-May-16
Does anyone here have access to Weller Special Reserve? Can't find it here

25-May-16
Wow. Basil Hayden's is good. But..

Bulliet

Russells Reserve 10Yr

25-May-16
I've seen the Weller Special Reserve on the shelf once or twice...it's never dependable. The stuff sells quickly, and no wonder at $23 or thereabouts for a fifth.

25-May-16
Kevin, I know cant find any Weller anywhere unless resale on-line and it's ridiculous. Is prefer Weller 12 actually

25-May-16
You guys in CO have to get to Estes Park and check out the bar in the Stanley Hotel. Close to 500 whiskey's to choose from.

25-May-16
Great Thread! I don't drink, so I'll stick to my coffee or Dew! I am that "Drive ya home guy"! Have a Good One!

25-May-16
SteveB, The 12 is like hunting for a golden egg. I've never seen it sitting on any shelf. I have a friend who can get me the rare bottle and I have one now. The next time I see the Special Reserve I'm buying at least 5 or whatever is there.

25-May-16
Bottled angel tears!

Lol!

26-May-16
If you have to mix it with Coke (or anything but a little water ) it ain't fit.

26-May-16
No, Special Reserve is 6-7 year. The 12 is of course, 12 year.

26-May-16
TD said: "A buddy from AK gave me a bottle of Bushmills. Good stuff from what I hear.... I put his name on it, it's on the shelf in my office and it gets a great deal of commentary at the counter in the store. I tell em "yeah, I have it, but it'snot fer drinkin'... it's jusss for lookin' through.....""

I recall buying you a bottle last time I was on island, not realizing you were strictly a beer (Corona)guy. I figured with a last name like yours that you would consume anything. Any chance this is the bottle I bought you or was that just some swill and you used it to scrub the toilet?

Back to the topic. Why would anyone drink whiskey that wasn't bourbon unless maybe some of the better single malt? Bluck.

26-May-16

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
They even make whiskey for bow guys.

30-May-16
Just wanted to thank Kevin and everyone else who recommended the Weller Bourbons. Not surprisingly, I couldn't find the 12, but I did find some Special Reserve and bought a couple of bottles today. It's a really nice whiskey and the Bowsite never ceases to amaze.

31-May-16
Just remember that there are certain times when asking the barmaid for 'a large Black Bush' can be misinterpreted....

31-May-16
Barty1970 wins the internet today

01-Jun-16
Thanks *blush*

01-Jun-16
I had to grab a bottle of Buffalo Trace this past weekend after reading all the reviews. Definitely was not disappointed! Maker's Mark is usually my go-to for bourbon, but I think that may be changing!

02-Jun-16
Because of this thread I looked for Tin Cup at the local shop. Bought it on sale for $21.99......found it pleasant but nothing to write home about. Will not buy it again....even at that price.

02-Jun-16
Buffalo Trace I find much more agreeable.

High West makes one called Campfire that's much better for a blended than Tin Cup!

03-Jun-16
Steve.... LOL!

Who might have jumped to the conclusion my toilet has ever been scrubbed?.... =D

Just saving it for a special occasions.... like visits from AK bowhunters....

Does that make it baiting???

03-Jun-16
Call me a fan of most anything put out through Buffalo Trace and the brands they own. A visit to that distillery is a great experience. Nothing like standing amongst full barrels of aging bourbon and getting the scent of all that fine liquid.

The Four Roses brand is a personal favorite. Single Barrel, Small Batch, Reserve and their standard bottling are all good. They have a full selection of various reserve bourbons at the distillery, and I've not seen them for sale anywhere else.

04-Jun-16
Four Roses Four Roses Four Roses not joking but I may be a little bias I work there.Root

04-Jun-16
I have to agree with the Four Roses. Got a bottle the other day after following along here.

04-Jun-16
"Why would anyone drink whisky that wasn't bourbon"? Bourbon is too sweet for my cultured palate.

I would change that to "Why would anyone drink whisky that isn't Scotch?" unless someone is offering it and you don't want to seem ungrateful, or if you're stranded somewhere, winter is setting in, and there's nothing else in the trapper's cabin you broke into to survive.

05-Jun-16
Root...

We loved the tour of your distillery. It was pretty cool being up top and seeing / tasting those huge vats' bubbling mash. One of the best 'how we do it' tours on the trail.

05-Jun-16
Bookers is a good sipping whiskey.

http://www.bookersbourbon.com/batches/

05-Jun-16
Great thread!Went out and got Buffalo Trace and Evan 1783 both very good.Like Woodford reserve also. Tried to start thread like this on 2 other forums, no interest yet. I guess it's not about $400 pants and $800 packs, not sure but you guys are great.

08-Jun-16
Garrison Brothers Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey made in Hye , Texas. Smooth straight up or with an ice cube!!!

08-Jun-16
old crow for me. I like to taste my bourbon with a little bite.

11-Jun-16
Glad to hear you enjoyed your tour Kevin Dill. Just wondering if you also went to our bottling and warehousing in nelson county that is where I work.

14-Jun-16

Elk Hollow's embedded Photo
Elk Hollow's embedded Photo
I'm a big fan of Four Roses Single Barrel. But after reading this I decided to try a couple of Buffalo Trace products.

15-Jun-16
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is one of the best sipping bourbon hands down. If you ever get the chance to tour the distillery you will not be disappointed. They triple distill using old school copper stills.

15-Jun-16
Rice wine and fresh Corba blood

15-Jun-16
Rice wine and fresh Corba blood

15-Jun-16
SWILL! THE LOT OF IT!

HAVE YOU MEN NO MORALS???

15-Jun-16
Root, I have 4 Four Roses bourbon glasses at home from a friend that visited the distillery not long ago. They are my go to glasses for sipping. The story of how Four Roses got its name is a good one! Of course so is the bourbon!

23-Jun-16
I am surprised no one has mentioned Breckenridge Bourbon yet. I have tried several that have already been mentioned and Breckenridge has got to be on the list here with the other brands. I did go out and buy a bottle of Stranahan's after seeing the thread and it was very good!

24-Jun-16
IdyllwildArcher its friday and I fully plan on getting rid of whats left of those pesky morals with an old fashioned made with buffalo trace or four roses. Cheers fellas!

Gabe

24-Jun-16
Heresy Nuctech! Old Fashioned's should only be made with Kessler's or something similar not those fine spirits!

24-Jun-16
First thing I thought of when I saw the ad: Just what I want to drink when I'm at the peak of a steep mountain. LOL.

24-Jun-16
I've tried many mentioned above. Kinda surprised that you guys like the Buffalo Trace, it has a burned taste to me.

I'm a fan of Booker's and I like to keep a bottle handy.

I've gotten where I really like some of the stuff being made in TX now, like Rebecca Creek and Blue Lacy when I can find it.

Never tried the Four Roses, gonna have to pick a bottle up.

25-Jun-16
I use Buffalo Trace to make proper Old Fashions nothing better. Tonight I'll be sipping old Fashions, watching Shake the Lake fireworks and celebrating a young life taken to early. Brotsky you need to learn how to make a proper Old Fashion!

• Sitka Gear