Pyrannah 25-May-16
LaGriz 25-May-16
elkmtngear 25-May-16
MagKarl 25-May-16
WapitiBob 25-May-16
Pyrannah 25-May-16
orionsbrother 25-May-16
25-May-16
I have been playing this scenario in my mind for a little while now and not quit sure I can connect all the dots for my first western trip....

Lets say I get an elk down early in the week. I have this scenario as I pack it out to a local butcher who can process everything, wrap it, and get it frozen. Then I pack it in a lot of coolers for the long drive home. Rest of week is dedicated to helping my buddy hunt and pack out. (fairly straight forward).

Lets say I get one down mid week. Slightly more tricky but I think the same process above can apply.

However, this is where I do not see it as so straight forward, Late week kill, say two days until I start my drive home. We still break the elk down in the same manner get it in game bags etc and then pack it back to the car. I assume I just load it in coolers at this point and drive it home where I can process it completely on my own. How long should the meat last in the coolers?

I would like to avoid the processor all together, but not sure how to do that with a kill say on Monday then drive home on Saturday.

I would think boning out the meat in all scenarios is the way to go?

Thanks for any help! Ben

25-May-16
It'll last in the coolers for longer than you'll need it to. I've killed on day 1-2 of 15 day hunts and left it on ice the whole time without a problem. Just bone it out and put it on ice regardless of when you kill and forget the processor. Good luck!

25-May-16
x2 otcWill. Dry ice is the key.

25-May-16
There are places that will just cold storage it for you too I believe. Also some guy's actually bring chest freezer and generator along. Generator only needs to run a couple hours a day to keep frozen. Also some old sleeping bags wrapped around your coolers make ice last much much longer.

25-May-16
My dad shot his NM bull on September 1st last year. We kept it (bone-in) in coolers on ice until we got home on September 15th at which point we butchered it ourselves. We didn't lose any meat and it is delicious.

25-May-16

Basinboy's embedded Photo
Basinboy's embedded Photo
Debone it completely where it falls. If there is a stream close by, we put the meat in garbage bags, set them in the cold water with a rock on them to keep them cool since you will have to make more than a couple trips to get all the meat out if it's only 2 of you. Have the coolers already full of ice. We fill one 150qt full of block ice in the last town before driving up the mountain. Best of luck!

25-May-16
for the dry ice/freezer user, does the dry ice freeze all the meat? do u bring it home frozen, thaw it out, process, then refreeze?

with coolers and ice, how did you keep.the meat out of the water?

how many coolers? ive read 3 165qt coolers should work?

thanks

25-May-16
I am on the opposite end. I have a good packer lined out and the second we kill all efforts are exerted to getting the meat in the cooler. During the archery season especially most will charge only a small fee for it to hang and age. This ensures the meat is plenty cold. It also means no issues mid weeks with running to get new ice and best of all before the meat goes into the cooler you can wash it all etc.

I know some people absolutely hate the packers, but having a good packer is a god send.

The packer we use can have have an animals cut and wrapped and 3/4 frozen in about 15 hours. Totally frozen in 18 hours if needed. But since I am local we let it hang and pick it up in a week or so...

If you have access to a good packer and can eliminate concerns and work then why not?

25-May-16
What otcwill said. Done the same with early archery mule deer when it was 90. I bone everything right where it's laying. Never lost any meat. Fill coolers with ice before you drive in.

25-May-16
I'll throw in a caution. This actually happened to me on my first elk hunt. You must get your animal cooled to the bone before putting it on dry ice. I killed a cow the last night of our diy hunt. we recovered it the next morning and I hired a sheep herder to pack it out for me in quarters. By the time I got back to camp the crew had camp pretty well tore down and ready for the 20 hour long trip home. We packed the quarters in canvas and added dry ice in town, and wrapped the dry ice and quarters up in the canvas. The meat was rock solid when we got home and I took to the butcher shop. Later I got a call from the butcher. He said I was going to lose a bunch of meat. Apparently without having the meat cooled to the bone, the dry ice froze the exterior and actually drove the heat to the bone. the butcher salvaged what he could, but I would never want it to happen again to anyone. Good luck on your hunt!

25-May-16
If I get in that situation this Season, I'm just going to find someone to hang the quarters for a week in the nearest Town.

Then I'll just put them under dry ice and drive home, I prefer some aging before processing.

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-May-16
I debone everything. a couple of 120 qt coolers get me by with room for about 5 pounds of dry ice in each. It will freeze about half of the meat. I place it on cardboard to keep from freezer burning the meat right next to it. Once I get home I remove the dry ice and start butchering the meat that isn't solid. I dont like regular ice. If there is one speck of gut enzyme in the water the whole cooler is tainted.

25-May-16
I use both dry/regular ice a lot and I am finicky about how long my meat is not on ice.

Honestly, the longer your meat is in conditions above 40 degrees your meat quality starts to drop every hour that passes. I know it's not easy because you just can't kill your bull then bail on your buddy - so you have decisions to make.

It sounds like if you do kill you will be able to get on ice - do that ASAP. I actually wouldn't get it butchered unless you really want to as I find traveling with butchered meat is actually harder - then again I love butchering.

You could easily keep boned meat on ice the entire trip if you wanted (unless you are gone for more than 2 weeks). Dry ice is nice BUT it will freeze it solid and you will have to add ice to defrost it when you get home which takes a day or so.

Age of animal also makes a big difference to me - anything over 3 years old you are fine with regular ice as most of that animal will be roasts and burgers. A younger animal then I start thinking dry ice to preserve all that premium meat that won't do as well sitting in regular ice.

I am a stickler on my meat and I serve all types to friends who have never known they are eating wild game (unless I tell them).

I don't think it's anything special I do outside of getting it cooled and butchering ASAP.

25-May-16
For those of you that use a freezer.... do you run the freezer just long enough each day to keep the meat cold or do you actually freeze it. Run us through a typical scenario where you kill your elk early in the week and preserve it utilizing a freezer and generator.

25-May-16
3) 165 Quart coolers is way more than you need for one elk.

I'll give you another option. I save my 1/2 gallon and gallon juice and Gatorade jugs all year and then fill them a little over 3/4 full with water and freeze them solid.

I then pack a 150 quart cooler with as many frozen juice/Gatorade jugs as I can fit inside the cooler and dump ice cubes into the cooler to fill any voids between the frozen jugs. The extra ice cubes filling the voids helps keep everything cold. I then duct tape or strap the cooler shut with a nylon strap.

I have a second 120 quart cooler that I just store gear such as boots, tent, etc. inside of.

When I kill an elk, I divide the ice between the two coolers and put some of the boned out elk meat into each cooler.

You can dump the ice cubes and water out and the juice/Gatorade jugs keep the melting ice water from leaking into the cooler or onto the meat. Or you can put your game bags into contractor garbage bags to keep the meat dry.

I've kept ice this way for 2 weeks with no problems and you can add ice blocks on the drive home if necessary.

I've personally never used dry ice on an elk hunt.

I've been able to fit an average sized bull and ice into a 150 quart cooler and a 48 quart cooler but that might not be enough cooler space if you get a big bull or also want to put the cape into a cooler.

25-May-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Elk on the ground is first. Worry about the rest later.

Having 2 elk on the ground is better than one

25-May-16
+1 Cheesehead and Cnelk!

25-May-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Then hang them up and have a beer or 3

25-May-16

Sage Buffalo's Link
BTW Here's a good link to give you a more scientific view of what I was talking about.

25-May-16

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
Then prepare them for the the cooler as mentioned above.

Once in the cooler, and chilled I like to cover the cooler with a spare blanket or sleeping bag during the day

25-May-16
Bone out and hang overnight for initial cool. Then move into coolers with frozen water jugs on top. Drain the blood occasionally and you are great. If you don't have frozen water jugs, use regular ice and just rig something to keep your meat off the bottom of the cooler. I.e. put a layer of canned cokes or something that will allow the melting ice to drain to the bottom. I have killed all my elk in NM, often in pretty warm temps and have kept the meat in coolers for as long as two weeks and never lost any meat to spoilage or had any of it "tainted" as mentioned above.

25-May-16
I don't bone them but do use ice in coolers. They stay in coolers, on ice, till I cut them up a week or so after killing. The meat is cold enough your hands hurt after a few minutes of cutting. Lots of different ways but there isn't a need to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

25-May-16
x50 on cooling. I have made the mistake of putting on ice too soon and the condensation was heavy. Luckily we weren't far from the butcher, but I wouldn't let it soak in that sweat for a week.

I like to debone at kill site if possible, clean the meat up some at camp and cool. If the bags aren't too dirty I'll put meat back in the game bags to give a slight barrier between meat and plastic of contractor bags. Tie them up and keep top of bag out of ice. Cover cooler w/ whatever you have, every bit helps.

Never in my wildest dreams would I imagine putting meat in plastic, but it works fine.

25-May-16
Mike,

Can you do your method with 2 120 qt coolers?

25-May-16
We've kept elk on ice for multiple days before without any problems whatsoever. The most extreme I've done was my buddy killed on day 4 in New Mexico one year. I didn't kill until day 10. Took us a day to drive home, and he didn't get to cutting it up until we'd been home for about 2 days.

Fresh ice on day of kill, and we went to town for more ice on day 8. Fresh ice on day 11 as we drove home, and then he cut up.

Worked well

25-May-16
You can get an entire deboned elk in a single 165 quart cooler and still have room for 15 lbs of dry ice.

I've done it on two separate animals. And that included neck meat, brisket, and heart.

I kept my last elk in a cooler for 10 days and the meat never thawed. Add dry ice every 2-3 days. 10 lbs if every other day, 20 lbs if you're going to go 3 days.

Keep it out of the sun and duct tape the lid.

25-May-16
X2 Idyllwild

Meat weighs nearly the same as water, which is 2 lbs/quart. Let's say your elk is really big and you're really skilled at removing meat. 250# of boned meat will take about 125 quarts of cooler space. Then you'll need room to add ice. This assumes that the meat was sufficiently cooled before going in the cooler, otherwise you'll need more room for ice.

25-May-16
I have used two, 120qt coolers for my elk for many years.

25-May-16
for the dry ice users, are you freezing whole muscle meat? do u bring home, thaw, then process and refreeze?

thanks for all the help, i did not think it would keep that long unfrozen on ice...

very helpful!

25-May-16
wapiti, how do u keep your elk on ice with out getting it wet from melting ice?

thanks

25-May-16
The most boneless meat you are getting from a 10+ year old bull is about 270 lbs.

2 coolers will easily take care of business and one for most bulls.

Most drain their coolers once a day and meat sitting in ice water isn't going to hurt as long as it's more ice than water.

25-May-16
Bowfreak,

Yes, as WapitiBob indicated, two 120qt. coolers work fine. My buddy Elkaddict also uses two 120qt coolers. I just happen to have a 150 so I pack it with ice and get a little more ice.

I sometimes freeze jugs/bottles of Gatorade or juice so I can use them as ice when they're frozen and drink them as they thaw.

I should mention that I also have a smaller cooler that I use for cold food and if you have food (meat)that you want to stay cold/frozen for a long time you can put it into your big ice cooler. You'll just have to break the seal to get it out if you haven't shot an elk yet.

25-May-16
thanks for that link sage!

ben

25-May-16
Pyrannah,

I don't worry about the meat getting wet. However, if you are concerned, you can put your ice in garbage bags or as has been said by several, use frozen water jugs.

25-May-16
Elk meat isn't a glass of milk left on the counter. It won't spoil quick

25-May-16
good to know... ive always treated venison as such, maybe relax a little on that too?

thabks for all the help

25-May-16
Water has not been an issue. I prefer to have cased over quarters but when coming back from out of state I sacrifice that aspect in favor of colder meat. Even keeping the meat elevated in the cooler and off the ice/water can soften the casing over a cpl days due to humidity. One year I kept the meat in a slush/ice bath for the whole time. Meat was fine but that setup will pull the blood from the meat, bleaching it out.

For in state hunts, I just hang to case the meat over, then cut up when I get home. I like that setup best because I can separate the muscles then fillet the casing off when I slice steaks from the muscle. Basically like filleting a fish but I cut the steak thickness then turn the knife sideways.

25-May-16
wapiti, you throw away the "cased" piece you took off right, you are not re-using that are you? How thick is that crust?

Thanks guys

25-May-16
More than one way to do this for sure.

I had a last day kill of a cow elk on a Colorado Muzzy hunt. I got the meat back to camp the next morning with the help of a ranch hand and one mule. The meat went into coolers with loose ice with plugs removed from the coolers. (let them drip)I added Ice during the long hot ride to Austin,Tx. A local processor weighed it and charged me 1$ a pound to butcher and wrap (most was vacuum packed). Once frozen in his walk-in freezer, I added dry Ice and drove the 8hrs home to LA. Not the cheapest option, but it got the job done in warm weather and no time play around with. LaGriz

25-May-16
I have used Bob's "in State" method for out of State hunts, but I transport using dry ice.

It's good for two days of driving...quarters are cold to the touch, or near-frozen when I get home.

The "crust" is very thin on that stuff...maybe 1/8 inch or so.

This bull's quarters hung for two full days in the shade, with daytime highs over 70 degrees.

meat laden photo humpingmeat_zps50a5e905.jpg

Best of Luck, Jeff

25-May-16
I have packed several deer and elk in coolers buried in ice for about a week with no problems. I worry about clean and cold, I don't really care about wet. Add more ice daily as needed. Yes the meat is wet, I usually tilt the coolers up with a 2x4 and keep the drains open so the melting juice drains. Yes it will lose some color on the outside surfaces but have not noticed any flavor issues.

25-May-16
I don't eat nor use the dried casing. It usually has a little hair, dirt, etc and it's probably like chewing on a boot tongue. No desire to burger it either. I separate every muscle on an animal to remove that casing, membranes, and fat deposits that hide between the muscles. It's a bit of a chore on an elk. I would guess the casing and meat loss is maybe 30 thou. Not too much loss in the grand scheme.

That casing doesn't form when I have meat in an iced cooler. There is still a membrane layer on the outside and I use my havalon to peel that off. Any pine needle or dirt will go with that membrane.

25-May-16
thanks for the thoughts, i'm gonna copy this thread and keep it for awhile...

hope i get a chance to experience this situation, and even more so, the dinner fare...

thanks ben

25-May-16
I have "cooler aged" a lot of deer when hunting Southern IL. I just open the drain and prop up the opposite end of the cooler to drain out water.

I haul a chest freezer when elk hunting and fill it completely with jugs of frozen water.

One thing that I would recommend would be to bring extra meat bags. Separate the meat from your full meat bags from the pack out so that you have less volume in each bag and have thinner layers of meat between your layers of ice.

As you break it down, hang what you can in the shade to cool before going in the meat bags too. Anything you can do to get the meat cooler, faster, will help protect the quality of your meat.

Avoid packing eighty pounds of warm meat into a big meat bag and then dropping it into your cooler after a pack out. It will take a very long time to cool the meat in the center of that bag. It would probably get funky.

• Sitka Gear