RutnStrut 27-May-16
Unchained 27-May-16
12yards 27-May-16
ohiohunter 28-May-16
t-roy 28-May-16
deerman406 29-May-16
dmann 29-May-16
25-May-16
Looking for a lightweight hang on stand and stick combination that is lightweight enough to pack in several miles, easy to hang, and quiet. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

25-May-16
I like Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks for your application.

25-May-16
x2 kotaman, you're not gonna find a better lightweight stand/stick combo.

25-May-16
x3 kotaman

25-May-16
I have the LW Alpha and 4 sticks also. You could go lighter with a LW Assault and sticks but will lose some platform space. I was looking at the Hawk Helium XL stand with my LW sticks. That stand weighs 2 pounds less than a LW Alpha. I know nothing about Hawk treestands though.

25-May-16
LW Assault and sticks. And if you can find one of the older LW assaults they are even lighter.

Loggy Bayou cheap seat is another I use when I really want to be light.

25-May-16
Remember that whatever stand you pack in you will have to sit in. Lone Wolf is the best of those I've personally used. Some of the new stands with sling style seats look promising, like Millennium.

25-May-16
I've spent many of hours in a loggy, seat is just fine. I haven't sat on a LW assault, but I have the alpha climber and the loggy wins.

Are cheap seats still available?

Best seat I've been in is the Ol'man, its a hanging net.

25-May-16
I used a Millennium MU100, easy to hang and you can sit in it all day. Not the lightest though at 11.5 pounds. Along with the Millennium I used Muddy Aerolite climbing sticks. They are easy to hang and weigh 9 pounds.

25-May-16
Lone wolf alpha is the way to go but stay away from the alpha tech f1. I bough one a few years ago and it packs nice and comfortable but it is not a cast aluminum so it is pretty noisy in cold temps....spend the small extra amount of cash and you'll be pretty happy!

25-May-16
Chippewa Wedge-Loc and a set of LW sticks. I think the Chippewa is much easier to hang then the LW stand and I can make the brackets for the Chippewa for about 5 bucks a piece. Shawn

25-May-16
chippewa wedge loc ghost for the stand. i been using one for years. great product. i leave steel sticks in the woods on my killing trees and pack the stand. if i was going to pack a ladder i would get the aluminum stack together ones, i got a set but cant remember who made them. i think they come i 4 sections and are really light and the stand and them on a pack are less than 20 pounds.

25-May-16
Tree saddle. I can sit all day very comfortably. It fits right in my pack for easy packing. I do lash a set of LW sticks to the outsides of the pack. I have a Summit Viper that is very comfy but that is seeing a lot less use the past few years. TODDY

25-May-16

DaleHajas's Link
I just purchased the MOLLE II pack from *bay and after attaching it to my LW Alpha/sticks I cant believe how much more stable, secure and quiet the set up is! Nicebfor a long trek-Worth the approx $40. Fits most brands of stands.

I happened to see the newer Alpha Tech model LW hang on with the plush seat and Im really considering purchasing it. The seat makes a difference over the thin LW that comes on th Alpha- its only drawback IMHO.

Check out the Alpha Tech:

http://www.lonewolfhuntingproducts.com/shopping/Products/Alpha-Tech-F1__ATF1.aspx

25-May-16
I use a hang on (flat any type) and arborist leg irons. They can be used in any tree any height, two sets of lineman's belts to go around branches, etc. A lot lighter than a pack of sticks and don't rattle or clang.

25-May-16
The XOP sticks have a cam action that LOCKS the sticks together. That convince is worth some weight. .

26-May-16
Do you guys use these as a replacement for climbers or just easier sets? Do you think these would be less work than a climber? I like to use the climber so I'm able to hunt any wind. I'm intrigued to use these instead of the climber so I can use trees with a branch or two. Would you use the hangon/sticks combo instead of a climber? or is it too much work to make it worth it.

26-May-16
I have been using Non Typical hangon stands for bout 15 yrs [ 3 of em] light easy hang comfort/ ok also Rapid Rails AWESOME &safe 4 sect around 17 ft up would nt believe use in crooked tree/ live oaks tot wght 17 lbs

26-May-16
I have been using Non Typical hangon stands for bout 15 yrs [ 3 of em] light easy hang comfort/ ok also Rapid Rails AWESOME &safe 4 sect around 17 ft up would nt believe use in crooked tree/ live oaks tot wght 17 lbs

26-May-16
razorhead what is x op got website thanks

26-May-16
I use mine as a replacement for a climber...gives you better cover in a tree being able to set up around branches rather than having to find a straight tree with no limbs

26-May-16
I sold my climber one year after I using my LW Alpha

26-May-16

Bullshooter's Link
LW alpha hang on is 14 lbs.

Millenium M100U is 11.5 lbs.

At least according to their websites, see links.

That said, the Millenium requires the receiver to attach to the tree, and even the new one that uses a ratchet strap instead of a chain probably weighs a couple pounds. Their website does not say.

26-May-16

Bullshooter's Link
Millenium link

26-May-16
LW Assault is 11 lbs, but I dont think I could last real long on that seat.

The LW sticks would probably be the best climbing aid for packing.

26-May-16
Lone Wolf Alpha and Lone Wolf Sticks! But you already knew my opinion. Oh, and it won't kill big animals for you. You still need to find the right place to put it. :-)

26-May-16
I have the XOP Silver Medium and the 5 of the Muddy 20" sticks. I haven't hunted with this set up yet. But have set it up scouting and practicing a lot. I really like the rope set up on the Muddy sticks.

26-May-16
Lone wolf or XOP. I have the lone wolf. If you do a lot of sitting you should buy a replacement seat for the lonewolf.

27-May-16

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
I also use Chippewa Ghost and four Lone Wolf sticks. Great setup.

27-May-16

BC's embedded Photo
BC's embedded Photo
Here's another look. Course, works better when you use other three sticks.

27-May-16
I use a Lone Wolf Alpha II and a 4 Lone wolf sticks. I like how it all packs together. Also makes a very solid setup in the tree, and allows adjustment for leaning tree trunks.

27-May-16
I'm thinking of trying this instead of the climber. Can you do everything in one climb up of the tree and how. I mean hang sticks, stand and haul up bow and backpack?

27-May-16
Yes you can, I do it sometimes. The best way to figure it out is to practice. You can set the first two sticks basically from the ground.

27-May-16
how high can you get with 4 sticks

27-May-16
rershooter, I've asked the same question here as well and the answer was to use a long rope with each item secured to the rope at pre-measured intervals so that when item 3 is in your hand while in the tree, item 4 is resting on the ground with enough slack in the rope to climb to the point where you need to haul it up. I haven't tried it yet, but it makes perfect sense.

27-May-16
Each LW stick is 32". If you have four, that is 128 inches, or 10.7 feet. If you add two feet at the base of the tree plus two feet between sticks that adds 8 more feet. Two feet is a reach for a lot of guys. I don't think I do two feet, more like 18". So if your stand is at the level of your top stick step, you can get to just over 18 feet if you place them two feet apart. I think I get the base of my stand around 17 feet most of the time.

27-May-16
12yards. You should be able to get further than 17' with the 32" LW sticks. I get the platform of my stand to 17' with 4 of the 20" Muddy sticks. That is without a huge gap between them. I can hit 25 feet with 5 and a decent gap between sticks.

27-May-16
As far as setup, check this out. Its Dan Infalt, an excellent public land hunter here in WI that sets up within 60 yards of bedded bucks with his lone wolf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Y12DRIy9M

27-May-16
RutnStrut, you must be putting your platform quite a ways above your top step. I don't like doing that. I don't think it is safe. I darn near killed myself a couple seasons ago when I slipped stepping from my top stick step to my platform after it snowed. So I like it even with my top step. Your 4 steps total 80 inches or 6.7 feet. That is putting a lot of distance between sticks to get to 17 feet with your platform. Unless I am calculating it wrong. And to get to 25 feet with 5 sticks you would need to put around 34 inches between steps which I know I couldn't do. That is if you are setting it up with the platform at the top step. Even if you put your stand 18" above your last step you would need 30" between sticks. My inseam is only 32. LOL.

28-May-16
I like to find trees w/ branches. Less manmade steps and more cover. An aluminium loc-on and a few screw steps or 1-2 sticks go a long way and pretty light to boot.

28-May-16
Another vote for LW Assault & LW sticks. 20' is pretty doable but around 18' is a little safer IMO.

I will also paint the tops of the steps(where you place your feet) with white paint. It makes it a lot easier to see where to place your feet when getting out of the stand after sunset.

29-May-16

deerman406's embedded Photo
deerman406's embedded Photo
BC has it right. That Chippewa Ghost is like maybe 7#s. I make my own brackets for a lot cheaper then the ones they sell. I will try and post a pic. Shawn

29-May-16
Does anyone have experience with hawk stands,been looking into getting a kickback. They seem like a good alternative to more expensive stands.

• Sitka Gear