hobbes 01-Jun-16
PB in WI 01-Jun-16
DIYHuntingMaps 01-Jun-16
cjgregory 01-Jun-16
cjgregory 01-Jun-16
Sage Buffalo 01-Jun-16
hobbes 01-Jun-16
25-May-16
i think i have my previous thread under control.. well, at least for now anyway.. i'm sure i'll have more questions soon...

On to the next step...

Curious how most of you consume your elk meat and mostly in what form..

For my venison, i make jerky, burger, and tenderloin steaks. Some sausage here and there but thats it for the most part.. we really like venison burgers...

Is there anything i should look at for elk that i may be missing from my venison experiences?

Thanks Ben

25-May-16
its too good to make into jerky imo, i butcher and prepare it just like i would beef.

25-May-16
Neck, brisket, shanks, flanks, and shoulders go to burger. I like to add 8% beef tallow. Elk makes the most incredible burger.

Backstraps get cut into 3rds and frozen separately to be cut into steaks.

Hams go to roasts in 2-3 lb sections. Sirloins and rounds can be cut into steaks, but are tougher than backstraps. Another great way to eat these roasts is to cut them cross grain into 3 inch sections and then with the grain into the 1 inch sections and throw it in the crock pot for 7 hours with BBQ sauce (for pulled-pork style burgers), or any Mexican sauce made by Herdez (they make a ton of them, check them out on Walmart.com) will make an incredible taco.

I don't cut my meat into steaks till I want to eat it.

I don't use any of my elk for sausage. I think it's wasted on sausage because the burger is so good. My deer I basically follow the same plan, but instead of burger, I make breakfast sausage, hot links, polish sausage, and brats.

25-May-16
I don't want to go Forrest Gump on you, so...everything.

I had a supplier buy me dinner two nights ago. I think that steak was the first beef I've had in almost a year.

25-May-16

a'Lish's embedded Photo
a'Lish's embedded Photo
Mr. Elk came to dinner!

26-May-16

Carnivore's embedded Photo
Carnivore's embedded Photo
An elk heart is about 6 pounds of steak that is sweeter in flavor than other cuts. I put on the grill: kidneys, liver, and tongue. Also pretty good is sauteed marrow from the femurs. I have not yet worked up the nerve to try rocky mountain elk oysters, but some people swear by them.

26-May-16
I burger everything but the backstraps and tenderloins.

26-May-16
Bob - You're missing out. Don't grind all of it.

Elk fajitas...Elk Stroganoff...Elk heart sandwiches...Elk pot pie...

26-May-16
Just like WapitiBob, I burger everything but the backstraps and tenderloins

I make sausage over the winter months after the burger is packaged

photo groundmeat_zps0556eee3.jpg

26-May-16
A lot of mine is ground, with no added fat. Cook with a little olive oil on lower heat...add to pastas, tacos etc.

I use a vacuum sealer and put the meat in those little foam disposable bowls that really helps in the freezer.

26-May-16
carnivore, I'd say you are doing a pretty good job living up to your name, but I think you have to take the next step and eat the nuts.. lol...

I can't man up enough for that one...

love the elk taco idea, thanks idyll

26-May-16
You are bringing up some good topics!

I always start with the est. age of the animal I shoot. It's where every hunter should start but is rarely thought about. Remember that beef served in the US is 2 yo or younger with 2 being the max age for quality.

Here's my guidelines:

1. Animal younger than 3 yo. This is a PRIME animal and where you start thinking about steaks galore. This animal will give you your best tablefare if handled properly. There's nothing that will beat it!

2. Animal 3-5 yo: Backstraps/Loins definitely. Other steaks with caution. Burger/Sausage/Roast/Braising should be bulk of cuts.

3. Animal 5+ yo: Roasts/Burgers/Sausage. This animal is prime for slow cooking or grinding. Don't even think about steaks outside of backstrap. You are just plain wishing.

One nice thing with large game like Elk/Moose is their bones are great for roasted bone marrow. Might sound gross but honestly done right it's amazing.

Things like tongue are also delicious for the adventurous eater.

Outside of that it's very similar to a deer except bigger!

26-May-16
I keep as many steak cuts as I can, elk is too good to grind the majority of it. We do like burger too though, so I try to end up with about 70 lb of that. I also make my own sausage, usually about 40 lb of that.

Elk tend to be more steak cuts, and deer/pronghorn end up being more burger.

One new one I learned last year is the Flatiron Steak. It's in the front shoulder. I highly recommend separating out that cut, I found it to be almost as good as the tenderloin.

26-May-16
I run the tougher cuts through the tenderizer. Or use a marinade/dry rub for grilling steaks.

27-May-16
It's pretty hard to mess up Elk, they are truly magnificent on the table. I love a good medium grilled Elk steak, or just a good lean Elk burger from the grill. If I detailed all the ways we enjoy Elk I would have to write a literal book, but I will tell you this: If you get your hands on one, you won't be disappointed!

27-May-16
I have no problem with 5+ year old bulls, I just do not over cook them.

28-May-16
All of the above BUT I have the meat processor add 3% kidney fat to the ground meat for burger. My wife makes an awesome stew in the clay-baker so some of the meat goes to stew meat.

And then NEVER, NEVER, NEVER grill back straps or tenderloins, beyond MED Rare!

Also, elk ribs, Wonderful.

My best, Paul

28-May-16
I never steak out backstraps...cut em into about 12" lengths and dry rub with black n red pepper mix, Lowerys, and brown sugar. Let em set at room temp for a half hour or so and slow cook on the Webber kettle with indirect coals and LOTS of mesquite chips.

I like to bark up the outside, slather on BBQ sauce, and turn em sauce side down...repeat on the other side. Check preferred doneness with a meat thermometer.

Yummy!!!

28-May-16

greg simon's embedded Photo
greg simon's embedded Photo
Elk burgers are indeed awesome! Don't overlook roasts. Dry rub with your favorite seasonings, sear on all sides in a cast iron skillet, put meat and drippings in a slow cooker. Add water cook a couple hours then add vegetables...yum yum!

28-May-16
Elk kabobs...elk stir fry...elk bourgignon...

29-May-16
that burger looks outstanding!

29-May-16
Rick X2!

My girlfriend posts pics of the venison dishes I cook and friends get mad cuz there was no invite to come over! I do roasts for dad's jerky, ground venison for my son, i make his favorite meatloaf and then the rest for me. Doing heart and bone marrow this year. Next thread should be which red wine to serve!!

01-Jun-16
I cut up my own. I'm sure there are competent processors out there, but I don't like my elk to leave my sight and I'm cheap.

Tenderloins are kept whole to be grilled whole typically.

Loins are turned into steaks, typically butterflied about 1" thick for the grill and the cast iron skillet.

Sirloin steaks for the grill.

Not more than 4 roasts from the rumps and occasionally I'll cut a roast from the shoulder. I won't say that I don't like roasts because I've had some great elk roast, but more often than not they are just too dry and I'd prefer to do something different with the meat. I was probably raised on too much home grown beef from my grandfather's fields.

Round steaks for Swiss Steak (one of my favorites) in the crock pot.

I'll typically have some end pieces from the loin and the sirloin area that I'll package as stew meat, but we'd just as soon cut a roast or thick round steak into stew meat if needed.

Any of them could be cut up for fajita's. I think I prefer to cook a steak whole with some dry seasoning and leaving it good and pink then slice for fajitas instead of cutting up beforehand and applying a marinade.

The remainder of the meat(neck, ribs, shoulders, rump, shanks, and whatever scrap meat I have) will be turned into burger. I'll trim the worst of the tendons and ligaments before grinding. There is nothing worse or more unappetizing than a piece of chewy or hard crunchy stuff in my burger,so I do what I can to remove it before grinding. Regardless of popular opinion, I grind in beef suet. I grind the meat, then the suet, then blend and grind together. I go by sight most of the time, but have weighed it out with as much as 10% before and it still never produces the grease that 90/10 beef from the store does.

We go through burger like there is no tomorrow in burgers, chili, tacos, spaghetti, vegetable beef soup.....you name it.

I've never killed in "old" bulls, so don't know that I'd do anything different. Maybe I'll have that experience some day and know the difference. We've cut up a couple older cows and I couldn't tell the difference.

01-Jun-16
Question - For you guys that marinade, what do you use?

I've never tried this on elk (because I don't have any) but some friends showed us a trick for venison. They soak the chops from the back strap overnight in Coca Cola. The next day they dump off the Coke and soak the chops in a generic type marinade for a few hours. Then they put them on the grill and serve them up medium rare. Best venison I have ever tasted.

01-Jun-16

DIYHuntingMaps's Link
I like to keep my elk backstrap in roasts. You can always cut 'em into steaks later, but then you can do things like this. I shot this video for the Wild Game Cooking portion of my blog. You can get the recipe at the attached link or just watch the video I embeded.

01-Jun-16
With Sage Buffalo

01-Jun-16
You can make steaks out of an older bull if you cut and leach it right away.

The problem with going to the freezer right away with processing, is that the meat doesn't get to age. Bad idea.

I always bone it out and hand cut the pieces I want to keep as steaks. You want it to cool off as soon as possible. If its rocky around you, set the cuts onto the rocks as they are much cooler that the air or ground.

I put everything into meat sacks and haul it out after its cooled.

When I get into camp I go find a stream and cool it all off some more. I rinse and clean the meat and put it back into the sacks and hang in the shade.

I let the water drain out of the hanging meat over night. The next day I pull all the meat out and rinse and cool in the stream again and put it back into the sacks and re-hang. That helps leach out the rut enzymes as well if its a late season bull.

Take it to the meat packager on the third day if you need it packaged and frozen for your trip home if you are out of state.

01-Jun-16
Hobbes you need to buy a new electronic pressure cooker - will change your opinion on roasts.

Matter a fact everyone should get an electric pressure cooker. It's a must for anyone who hunts.

01-Jun-16
Thanks, I'll look into it. I've had some really good elk roasts, but they definitely take special care to keep them from being dry. It's just became apparent that burger works better for our family most of the time.

I've also had some canned elk meat shared with me that was really good, but I've not done it myself. It was basically taken out of the jar, pulled apart and heated with barbq sauce then served on sandwich buns. I made a pig of myself and inhaled a couple of them.

• Sitka Gear