Mike Vines 26-May-16
stringgunner 27-May-16
Jaquomo 27-May-16
Z Barebow 27-May-16
elknutTX 27-May-16
High Country 23-Jun-16
cjgregory 24-Jun-16
26-May-16
What's the best book out there for elk hunting knowledge?

26-May-16

Dyjack's Link
Ive heard good things about elknut's playbook. I'm gonna pick up a bundle from his site in a couple weeks.

26-May-16
bowhunting modern / Patrick Meitin or www.Elk Camp.com elk hunting 101 201 301

26-May-16
Dwight Schuh's Bugling For Elk is a good one if you can find it. Matt Dworak's Public Land Elk Hunting is a must-have. He's a Bowsiter and you can get it on Amazon or through his website.

26-May-16
Dwight Schuhs Bugling for Elk is available on Amazon new for $13.95 and used for $3.02 Might want to also check out Mike Lapinsky's books High Pressure Elk Hunting, Radical Elk Hunting Strategies and Solving Elk Hunting Problems: Simple Solutions to the Elk Hunting Riddle all three are $14.95 new and really cheap used on amazon.

26-May-16
Randy Newberg is working on one, but nobody knows when he'll ever finish it. Chuck Adams was supposed to do one after the Super Slam book, but that seems to have fizzled. Other than that, maybe check out Elk 101 next week on Wednesday as Corey Jacobsen is rolling out something that's supposed to be like an online elk hunting course. Specific details are unknown right now, but releasing on 6/1/2016.

I have other elk hunting books, but nothing that stands out...

>>>>-------->

26-May-16

ElkNut1 's Link
I've read many of the books mentioned & there are some good ones there! You cannot go wrong as newer & older elk hunters to indulge into as much info as you can, knowledge is power! Some you'll enjoy & others may not lend to your intended style but most are pretty good!

The nice thing about the ElkNut's PlayBook is that it covers tons of strategies, techniques & methods for about any situation that may arise in pre-rut, peak rut & post rut elk hunts. Al these tactics have been used on OTC Public Land elk hunts for many years in many states with great success by us & countless other hunters.

You'll notice in the book that many elk sounds from both bulls & cows are used & defined, this is a very rare find in other books. It shares what these sounds mean to the elk & when & when not to use them. It's companion Sounds By The Elk CD has all the sounds used & found in the book, these sounds are made by the elk themselves. When the book refers to such a sound being discussed you can go to the CD & listen to several different bulls or cows making these sounds helping the reader to appreciate what a particular sound sounds like if unfamiliar with it. -- This is very unique & not found in other publications. This 100 page Playbook is 6" tall & 4" wide & can easily be brought with you on your hunts!

If not into reading this Playbook also comes in an Audio Book Version on CD's. In Chapter 3 all these sounds on the CD are found at the end of that 3rd chapter. They are all on separate tracks so when listening to the audio book & you get to a discussion on a specific sound for an encounter you can simply go straight to that numbered sound & listen to it then return to where you were in the Playbook. This is a very cool feature! Hope this helps you out!

ElkNut1

26-May-16
Elknut1; is it available thru the kindle bookstore?

26-May-16
Never mind; sorry, asked before I found the digital download section.

26-May-16
Never mind; sorry, asked before I found the digital download section.

26-May-16
Elknut,Sounds good. I want it. How do I get it?

26-May-16
craig, click on the Supporting Link in red there! It's at elknut.com

ElkNut1

26-May-16
Elknut1's (Paul's) playbook makes for an easy and more importantly, understandable, read. It gives us "newbies" some kind of something to look for.

Well worth the money in my eyes.

27-May-16
Swede on here wrote a book called Tree Stand Hunting Rocky Mountain Elk. If you are at all interested in hunting elk from a treestand this is a must read. Swede is a great guy and good friend so yeah I'm biased but I didn't even know him until after I read the book and it definitely helped me and my dad get much better at hunting elk from a treestand. Not sure it's available online so PM him or PM me and I will get you in touch with him.

27-May-16
Razorhead, which "guided writers" have written archery elk books? Just curious, and you can PM me if you want. All the guys mentioned in this thread are the real deal hunters, not "writers who are guided and report their hunts".

I know some of those guys in the business but none except Zumbo have written elk hunting books. Zumbo is a rifle hunter anyway.

Brian Baldwin's Jumpstart Elk Hunting is a good one for beginners. Another great oldie is Elk Hunting the Northern Rockies by Ed Wolff.

27-May-16
I have almost all of the books mentioned since I am an elk junky. They are all good. They talk about elk hunting!

I actually have two copies of the Playbook. One copy for home, and a second dog eared copy that rides around in my backpack. Sometimes when I get into a rut on a hunt, I will pull it out to remind myself of other tactics and look at situations in a different perspective.

27-May-16
Razorhead liked your comment bet there are a few [those] writers out there Patrick Meitin seems like real guy. killed his first bull at age 12. graduated h.s. drove his rusted ouy 68 nova to new mex. to become elk guide. you may know the rest, bowhunting mags articles etc.

23-Jun-16
I have read most of the books mentioned above -- some of them were pretty good reads. That being said, if I was to recommend just one source where a guy could really increase his elk hunting knowledge, it would be to the new online course by Corey Jacobsen. It's called "Elk Hunting University" -- videos, strategies, tips, calling advice -- you name it. Corey is a great instructor and I think that I got more pertinent information from it than all the other books that I've read put together. Elk Hunter magazine usually has some pretty good columns in it too.

24-Jun-16
I like Elknut's playbook. Especially tricking a herd bull into thinking you've stolen one of his cows.

Before that I read Mike Lapinski's stuff and had a lot of success with it as well.

I think most of the writers have bits and pieces that can influence overall knowledge that prepares you for most anything.

• Sitka Gear