redheadlvr 28-Jan-17
Straight Shooter 29-Jan-17
Jodie 29-Jan-17
Rut Nut 03-Feb-17
BigOzzie 03-Feb-17
Scar Finga 03-Feb-17
26-May-16

No Mercy's Link
This makes me excruciatingly angry. And sad.

26-May-16
Very sad

26-May-16
Truly a tragedy!

If convicted, Mr. Keller should have his Hall of Frame induction revoked, we do not need criminals representing our sport. If you live in the lime light or are a person of public interest, then you must live your life to a higher standard then those around you!!! Yeah, Yeah, I am sure Mr. Keller is a very nice man, but that doesn't change the fact that he just committed a felony and almost killed a child. Prayers to the boys family and more specific to the boy himself. God willing, he will fully recover from this tragic event!

26-May-16
Tragedy all around

26-May-16
What a shame.

26-May-16
Tragic....prayers to the boy and his family.

26-May-16
Prayers sent for a full recovery for the boy, and comfort for his family.

26-May-16
prayers to the family and for Myles

26-May-16
I think I might want to wait until I hear all the facts. Frankly, I don't trust the media much anymore. I'm not forming any opinions of guilty or not, I am saying the way they worded it as there "may have been alcohol involved" is a pretty broad statement. Last year I had a bad bronchial cough for months. I used to carry a miniature bottle (1 oz.??) of blackberry brandy on the dashboard of my truck that I occasionally used to take a swig out of in order to clear the phlegm out of my throat rather than be medicated with prescription codeine. I'm talking one single swig would ease the cough. I don't normally drink. I never do whisky and probably don't do more than a couple six packs a year, mostly when it's 100 degrees outside. My point is, if I would have happened to get in an accident and they found a 1 oz. bottle of brandy on my dash for medicinal purposes the media could have worded it to say " the driver had an open bottle of alcohol in the vehicle". I'm not defending Myles one way or another, I'm just saying we need to hear all the facts before we make any judgements. Prayers sent to all involved, especially the child. I saw a photo of him and he looked like a handsome, young, all-American boy. I also understand he had some surgery to relieve pressure on his brain and he's now doing somewhat better. Prayer is a powerful thing. BW

26-May-16
This is very sad. I truly hope that the boy recovers.

I am equally sad for Myles, we do not know all of the facts and He is innocent until proven guilty. He is one of the few who maintained an ethical hunting record over the years which says something about who he is.

26-May-16
Amen Barry!!! Prayers sent for all involved.

26-May-16
So the father of the child was letting the kid ride a wagon down a hill towards the road. Then people blame the driver when the kid gets hit. This is as much poor parenting at fault. Why isn't the father facing charges for neglect of a child?

26-May-16
I was the keynote speaker at New York Bowhunter's banquet a few years back, and Myles was going to attend at the request of one of the vendors to help promote their products. But before doing so, he contacted me to make sure it was OK with me for him being there as a "celebrity". I thought it was a stand-up thing and very thoughtful on his part to consider the feelings of a guest speaker. I pray all goes well for every. Mike

26-May-16
Gentlemen,

I agree with everything you are saying, If you notice in my post I said if Mr. Keller is convicted. I don't not know the man personally and I do not know his heart nor the condition he was in when the accident occurred. Hopefully this all works well for all parties.

S.F.

26-May-16
It just shows how things in life can turn in an instance. I hope all turns out for the best in the long run.

26-May-16
X2 Barry

26-May-16
I agree with Barry. All of us have had unattentive kids jump out in front of us at one time or another. A kid going down the hill in a cart and careening out into the road is an accident waiting to happen. Under such conditions you are likely to hit the kid regardless of whether or not you have had a few drinks.

26-May-16
Agreed let the FACTS play out! Sad situation either way!

26-May-16
I agree Pat. But I also don't let my kids careen down a hill into traffic if I can help it. Giving them freedom to explore and make a few of their own mistakes is one thing. Not stopping them from doing something potentially life threatening is another.

26-May-16
Just heard that he has been released and no charges are being filed, sounds like they could file in the future...Waiting on blood test results. Keller was the first to call 911.

26-May-16
Sometimes good people do bad things. Mistakes are a part of human nature and we have to live w/ our choices and the consequences. Regardless of the circumstances a child was hurt and everyone has to deal with that tragedy.

Unless you were there let the facts play out. I do feel though that this incident has nothing to do with bowhunting and/or his status as a hunter in my opinion.

life is precious and very fragile. don't take anything for granted

26-May-16
Lets wait and see if he is convicted. 2 sides to every story. Innocent until proven guilty.

26-May-16
Hate to see that happen to a child. Sending prayers for the little boy, and his family.

26-May-16
"Regardless of the circumstances a child was hurt and everyone has to deal with that tragedy."

Amen. Prayers sent to his family and let's hope he pulls through. Tragedy no matter what happened.

27-May-16
Prayers sent

27-May-16
I do know Myles and he is a 'stand up guy'! I am sure this tragedy is really eating at him. I am praying for all involved .... I wish the child a quick recovery! In the blink of an eye our world can change and life is so precious.

27-May-16
Is his what the world has come to. Uninformed people making uninformed judgements on the Internet. It was bound to happen sooner or later I guess.

27-May-16
X2 Bou.

I heard about this early yesterday morning. I thought, "I wonder how long before the vultures will be circling on the Bowsite?" It was 3 hours.

Sad news for all involved. I can't imagine the pain both families are going thru right now; and will go through because of this in the future.

Nobody reading this has any authority to judge...prayer for all involved; especially that poor little boy.

27-May-16
X 3 or 4 for what Barry said. I read the post yesterday and wanted to say that a) let the facts be known; b) the child may have been in the wrong, and nobody may have been able to avoid the hit; c) prayers for the boy and his family; d) society at large is very quick to draw firm conclusions but lack any facts of cases. Lets not be among that crowd....

>>>>-------->

27-May-16
I will not jump to judgement and I would not want to see his accomplishments attacked if convicted.

This is not Robert Hansen the serial killer.

You do not see Hollywood, politicians, athletes,and other celebrities stripping away Oscars, Grammies, or even the Heisman for drug convictions, illicit behavior, and other more serious offenses.

All of us could drink two beers and fell a field sobriety test.

Let me say here and now most people I know have driven under some form of influence be it alcohol or cough syrup... What we should do is thank GOD that we were lucky and were not confronted with a similar situation.

As for JOE SMOE, typically Joe does not have to live under the scrutiny that peeps in the spotlight. advantages and disadvantages of both, just go out and kill a world record whitetail and be prepared to be under the looking glass.

This story is a tragedy in all aspects, you have a child injured, a man's character in question, andyou have people with different motivations focusing on all the negatives. I hope that Mr Keller finds the resolve to deal with the emotional trauma and if he was under the influence that it does undermine 69 years years of effort in one single incident.

27-May-16

No Mercy's Link
So I posted this originally. I'm not rushing to judgement on Myles or the father here. It's a very unfortunate incident that plays very personally on my heart strings as my boy crosses our street multiple times a day and this is one of my biggest fears.

I am praying for the young man and his family.

Here's the latest:

27-May-16
I haven't read that Keller was charged with a DUI? evidence of alchol involved could be involved doesn't mean DUI? before you all try to throw him out of the hall of fame and skin him I think he needs to be found guilty first. It a tradgic event and I pray the little boy makes a full recovery.

27-May-16
I almost started a thread about this yesterday morning, but seeing how the topic was being beat to hell on other forums and how both the parents and Myles were being called to the gallows I decided against it. Hope for the best outcome for all involved.

My heart breaks for the lil guy...

I've always had great respect for Myles, I'll never forget the day he met my son who is named after him.

Sad, sad, deal.... :(

27-May-16
All indications are that Myles Keller is a good man and as such I can only assume he is devastated over this accident. My prayers go out to both of the parties involved and their families. There's not many of us that can say we've never had a single beer after shooting with buddies or with dinner and gotten behind the wheel to drive home. If you can then you are a better man than me. We certainly were not impaired but the mere fact it's in your system would be reported and tested. It's a tragic accident at this point and all we should be doing is praying for the little man's recovery.

27-May-16
^^^The only person looking to hang Keller is Scar finga (3rd post)everyone else is pretty much giving their prayers for both parties.

27-May-16
^^^The only person looking to hang Keller is Scar finga (3rd post)everyone else is pretty much giving their prayers for both parties.

As I stated in my post.. "on other forums"

27-May-16
Just a big f&$&@? Mess hoe and pray for the best to all involved Lewis

27-May-16
Sad news. I agree with Barry. Let's let this play out before we lock the guy up. Don't know anyone who really hasn't made mistakes in life. As it is, he's going to have to live with the memory of what happened.

Darrall Dougherty

27-May-16
I'm just now reading all this, attended QDMA banquet last night, so no Bowsite. Thanks Barry, for being the first one to pull the reins in. We do not have the whole story, and may never have it. Riding a wagon down the slope toward the road sounds dangerous, but we have no idea whether the kid was in the roadway or in the ditch when he was hit. We don't know Kellar's condition at the time either. I'll withhold the lynching until it's proven to be justified.

27-May-16
Tacklebox and Taxidery Man, Please go back and re read my post. I have nothing what-so-ever against Mr. Keller and I did not imply or say anything that would imply that I think he is guilty! I said IF he is convicted, and I stand by that. If he is innocent then praise the Lord... Really I mean that! I truly hope he is innocent and I am praying for him and his family as well as that boy. I am not his judge, only the Lord Jesus can judge a man. as I said I have no details and did not mean to imply anything to the contrary. I was just thinking out loud (or on the computer) that people in the lime light need to stand above and lead. No offense was intended! I am not looking to hang anyone! PERIOD!

God Bless!

27-May-16
"Yea yea I'm sure Myles Keller is very nice man but that doesn't change the fact that he just committed a felony and almost killed a child". Scar Finga, Doesn't sound like you are hoping he's innocent. Reading that quote you'd think he beat the poor kid half to death with a baseball bat.

Let the facts play out for everyone involved. None of us was there

27-May-16
md5252,

Point taken, and I should have worded my post differently. As I said, no offense intended.

27-May-16
Scar Finga, is your opinion as harsh of the father that was letting his kids ride a wagon down a hill towards a road?

27-May-16
Sad deal. Prayers for all involved. Scoot is right.

Will wait to learn more facts.

27-May-16
"If convicted, Mr. Keller should have his Hall of Frame induction revoked"

now that would really be impactful and teach a guy a lesson. what next.......revoking his library card?

27-May-16
Scar re-read BOTH of my previous posts on this thread.. BOTH state "other forums" This topic is on many other forums at the moment, most of which have already condemned the man. I never so much as mentioned you nor anyone else or their posts on Bowsite. I simply stated I chose not to start a thread on it here after learning the news, due to how it was going down elsewhere on the web... figured it'd be here soon enough.

reading comprehension is cool :)

It is often all too easy to let emotion dictate our reactions, likely what happened in your first post, understandable.

Enjoy your holiday weekend folks, there is no doubt a couple families who won't be.

27-May-16
Lesson number 1...Never drink and drive PERIOD My friend drove home after a dinner with coworkers and after 3 drinks he is now doing time for vehicular homicide. Even 1 drink and if you drive you can pay for it the rest of your life...doesn't matter who you are.

27-May-16
Tacklebox,

I must have misunderstood your post, my apologies sir.

RutnStrut

It actually is the same for the father if he broke the law. But as I stated before, I don't have all the facts. I was just expressing my thoughts...

Jdee,

That is a very true statement sir, it takes very little alcohol to make a person impaired. And it only takes one second to change the rest of your life.

Continued prayers and best wishes to all of you and especially for all parties involved!

God Bless, and I hope you all have a beautiful weekend.

S.F.

27-May-16
"But as I stated before, I don't have all the facts. I was just expressing my thoughts..."

Nothing wrong with having thoughts, however it would probably be a good idea to get all those facts before expressing your private thoughts on a very public forum. Saves having to backtrack on those thoughts later. Just a suggestion.

27-May-16
10-4 wyobullshooter, I haven't been posting on here very long, but a lesson learned, is a lesson learned:)

27-May-16
Who is Myles Keller?

27-May-16
He was interviewed by Outdoor Life Magazine many years ago about his uncanny ability to kill big bucks. At that time he had a couple dozen in the P&Y he most likely added to that list, he held the Wis Archery record for many many years with a 175 clean eight point that was taken in Dec on the ground spot and stalk. From that article he acquired a name and fame. He scouted extensivly and was a scent control fanatic. Was DIY hardcore before hardcore was cool. Those were the days before intensivly managed properties. He had most of his deer mounts stolen, someone hooked up to his trailer at one of the sportmens shows and took off with it , never heard if he got any of them back.

Bowhunting since 1962.

Member of the Pope & Young Club since 1971.

Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society since 1974.

Held Minnesota State record for largest Black Bear- 1980-1993 (21 4/16th). Taken 5 record book Bears.

Wisconsin State archery record Whitetail 8 point buck-13 years (1977-1990) 175-5/8th.

38 Whitetail Buck entries in Pope & Young record books. Three over 170”.

Many other archery trophies takes as well

Active in fund raisers for ASL Cancer Fund

27-May-16

Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Huntcell 's embedded Photo
Photo from the outdoor life article

28-May-16
Praying for both families involved.

28-May-16
Just another drunk, driving drunk.

28-May-16
^^ you were with him ?

28-May-16
No I was not with him, not something I do. My heart however is with the family and the victim.

29-May-16

Fulldraw1972's Link
Just so everyone knows it takes over 3 beers in an hour or less to get the average male above the legal limit. This of course is starting at 0.00. I am guessing here but the blood tox is standard procedure for all bodily injury accidents involving an automobile.

29-May-16
Just another judgmental jerk, judging.

29-May-16
I heard the News Media had it 'wrong' in their posting. In a couple weeks the story will come to light....in the correct light I think! .... Myles is a very honest individual and this has to be very hard on him and the child and both families! My prayers go out to them all and I hope & pray for the young boy for a complete recovery!

29-May-16
Hoping for the best outcome for all. The media gets it wrong so many times and then the story fades away... Any parent knows how fast kids can get in trouble, it's my nightmare.

29-May-16
Yes Headhunter I've heard the story as well, it's a sad situation and the truth will come out. I hope the young kid has no long term effects from this accident.

29-May-16
"Just another drunk, driving drunk."

You must be connected to have already gotten the official results BEFORE the police. It could never be that you were just being a judgemental jerk.

29-May-16
"Just another drunk, driving drunk."

Just another dumbsh!t, posting dumb sh!t.

29-May-16
Yes especially since he passed the breathilizer test.

30-May-16
Isn't an heartfelt apology in order just hope the child recovers Lewis

30-May-16
Let's hope for the best for all who are involved in this unfortunate incident.

This is something much more important than anything involving hunting or fame in the hunting industry. We are talking about lives and families.

30-May-16
I care a whole hell of a lot more about the fate of the young boy than I do about Hall of Fame status.

Jeez people worry about stupid shit.

30-May-16
I hope none of you Miss Mary's find yourself in a situation involving a child, a car, and an unavoidable circumstance. Because, I've learned that life has a way of putting you in the same situations you are often judgmental over.

God Bless men.

31-May-16
sad for all involved !!! prayers to all!!!!

31-May-16
(1) I know Myles quite well, have known him for many years. In the past, shared hunting camps and other venues with him. I like him. (2) I too, place little credence in media reports. (3) Sadly, alcohol involvement was my first thought before I read the story.

As others have said, prayers for all involved. As a couselor in an AA group, I have heard this story too many times. And, but for the grace of God, there go I. (June 10, will be six years since I have had a drink. I ask God every day for the strength to go one more day sober.) I hope Myles can find the peace I have found.

31-May-16
Bowriter, thanks for your comments. I don't know anyone whos life was better for alcohol, but know many who's lives were really screwed up. Thoughts and prayers for little boy and Myles.

01-Jun-16
Bou wrote {"If convicted, Mr. Keller should have his Hall of Frame induction revoked" now that would really be impactful and teach a guy a lesson. what next.......revoking his library card?}

Now that's funny shit

01-Jun-16
If he's charged with a DUI and hitting a kid while drunk - well he will be socially ostracized and his shiny star will be less shiny (a lot less).

Driving while drunk is serious. You want to take a risk then you better not get in an accident.

He did.

The law will make sure het gets what he deserves.

Sad all around. Alcohol is the #1 problem in America and for the life of me can't understand why people even take the chance - it's worse than smoking!

01-Jun-16
Sad news Lukas Wharton the 5 year old boy passed away today

01-Jun-16

02-Jun-16
Do we know he was driving while drunk? Was he charged with a DUI? Why wasn't he arrested and charged at the time of the accident? Surely the BAT results are back by now.

Very sad news about Lukas. Tragedies like this touch many. I'm sure Myles is dying inside too.

02-Jun-16
I agree. This is horrible news. It is a tragic accident and regardless of what really happened Keller will have to live with this guilt, even if he is of zero fault. I pray the family of Lucas finds peace as does Myles.

02-Jun-16

Bou'bound's Link
The link here is gut wrenching. Regardless of whether it was an avoidable, or unavoidable, accident the results are so sad. Prayers to all. They clearly are a family of deep faith and will prevail.

From his Mom:

Thank you everyone for praying, supporting and sending us love. You have given us great strength. Lukas’s pressures in his brain were extremely high all day the other day, Dr.’s did another scan of his brain and found really bad results. Lukas and Jesus are in heaven, we’ve told him it’s okay, and that we will take him with us where ever we are. He was such a joy to us and we will continue to love him every day. He will be someone else’s miracle. Take care, God bless. God is still good.

AMEN to that.

02-Jun-16
(ABC 6 News) - The Olmsted County Attorney says charges will not be filed at this time, against the man who was driving the vehicle that hit a 5-year-old boy in rural Byron earlier this week. As we've reported, the Olmsted County Sheriff’s Office said Lukas Wharton was playing on a wagon near at his home on the 1700 block of 19th Avenue NW in Kalmar Township when he was struck by a vehicle driven by Myles Keller. The Sheriff's Office said had “signs of alcohol use” and was taken into custody. However, Thursday morning in a statement released to the media, County Attorney Mark Ostrem said, "We are still receiving medical reports and incident reports. Information detailing accident reconstruction and blood alcohol test results of the driver are necessary. Until then a reasoned charging decision cannot be made." Lukas is currently fighting for his life at Saint Marys Hospital in Rochester. His mother recently posted this message to her Facebook page, "Thank you everyone for your prayers, please continue to pray, pray, pray that Lukas's body heals, and that his mind and brain are not damaged. He is still fighting. Thank you everyone, just pray!!!!" A GoFundMe page has been set up to support the family. If you'd like to donate click here.

02-Jun-16
sorry double post

02-Jun-16
UGH.....

Simply cannot imagine :(

02-Jun-16
Save Buffalo talks as if he were there and witnessed the whole thing.

I would only assume that many here would have learned from the Cecil debacle to hold your judgement until the facts are out. I stand corrected. Some people can't get by that enormous ego of righteousness that clouds out good reasoning when an opportunity to express it becomes available. You just can't help it I suppose

If he's found quilty, he'll pay his dues in many ways. If he is Innocent of any wrong doing, he'll still live with it. I pray for all involved. God Bless

02-Jun-16
It's unfortunate that self-righteous judgmentalism isn't a crime.

Throughout history, more lives have been ruined and lives taken by that ugly character trait than by drunk drivers.

02-Jun-16
Horrible news. Continued prayers.

02-Jun-16
Prayers to all that are involved.

"Throughout history, more lives have been ruined and lives taken by that ugly character trait than by drunk drivers."

Very good point.

I read it on the internet, and the news reported it so it MUST be true!!!!!!

02-Jun-16
Heartbreaking. Sending more prayers.

02-Jun-16
WV Did you notice I said IF?

If he didn't drink then it's just a sad event.

If he did, then I hope he gets everything he deserves. I have NO tolerance for people if they drink and drive. None. Zero. I hope he goes to jail for a long time - you get my point?

Also, most people aren't put behind bars unless there is some pretty solid evidence that there was wrong doing.

BTW Did you read Bowriters comment above?

02-Jun-16
Jacquomo X 2

02-Jun-16
How many of you moralizers have driven while talking on the phone, fiddling with the radio, eating a fast food meal, reaching for something on the seat beside you?

Seems like Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Some of us would do well to remember that as we go through life.

02-Jun-16
Jaquomo x3 on both previous posts.

The stone casting by some on this thread, under these circumstances, is unbelievable.

02-Jun-16
I am not one to sit here and judge. I have driven while intoxicated and thanks to the grace of God, I never hurt anyone. Thank the Lord those days are over! I can't imagine what the family is going through. My prayers are with the boy's family at this moment but I will pray for Mr. Keller too. We all need forgiveness. Last I heard there was only one without sin.

02-Jun-16
Makes me wonder if some people have ever lived.

02-Jun-16
Well said Heat.

02-Jun-16
This is a brutal story for all involved.

02-Jun-16
Another 4 hour delayed double post. Don't know why this is happening to me.

02-Jun-16
So sad that the little guy passed, prayers to his family. I hope that Myles wasn't drunk, because that will add more pain on top of a already painful situation.

02-Jun-16
Sage, I did notice that. What reinforced my statement directed towards you was this:

"Driving while drunk is serious. You want to take a risk then you better not get in an accident.

He did.

The law will make sure het gets what he deserves.

Sad all around. Alcohol is the #1 problem in America and for the life of me can't understand why people even take the chance - it's worse than smoking!"

I see where you said that driving drunk is serious. I also see where you said if you risk it, you had better not get caught. I even see where you said he was caught while risking it.

Your words were concise and clear. Not wanting to argue. Just pointing out the obvious.

SB, I understand why the word "possible" was used in the article. I'm also smart enough to withhold judgement of another based on nothing more than assumptions.

I did read bowriter's remarks. His post didn't state what yours did. God Bless

03-Jun-16
I myself do not drink .... but, I have been around a lot of people that 'live for that' .... even many hear on this 'site' have posted on other threads that getting drunk or just drinking was/IS very important to them! People (some) like to drink like it's a Must Do in order to function daily! I have been to too many 'camps' where alcohol was imperative .... SAD ....

Many people have 'a beer' with a meal or when out socializing ... but are not "drunk" ... but the alcohol shows up in a test ....

I urge people Not To Judge until all the reports are in on how this young boy ended up on the roadway. We do not know any of those facts. In the blink of an eye terrible things can and do happen!

My prayers still go out to all affected by this tragedy!

03-Jun-16
I was "drinking and driving" yesterday.

I had two cold beers in six hours while out on the lake fishing. The second one was an hour before I loaded up my boat. I weigh 200 lbs. So yes, if I'd been in an accident, the press would report that "alcohol may be involved" and I may have had beer on my breath. Was I intoxicated or impaired? Absolutely not.

Judge away....

03-Jun-16
We live in such an information age. sometimes I wish I had less information about situations like this. I feel terrible for the family, and cannot imagine the feeling if the blame were put on them.

I feel terrible making assumptions about Keller that I don't want to make, and I cannot imagine the feeling if the blame is put on him.

Last time I had alcohol I was not old enough, But being involved in any part of this situation would cause me to reconsider.

I need to live in a time with less access to information. I would be happy to live in ignorant bliss, in my own little world. I know I need some social interaction to stay sane, but how much......

oz

03-Jun-16
BigOzzie hit on a very key point. Couple social media with the fact humans LOVE to judge others, and some people just can't help themselves either condemning, or exonerating, prior to knowing ANY facts.

There are those that are in positions responsible to determine guilt or innocence based on fact. Here's a wild and crazy suggestion...how about we let those people make that decision BASED ON DIRECT AND COMPLETE KNOWLEDGE of the incident. As WV pointed out "If he's found quilty, he'll pay his dues in many ways. If he is Innocent of any wrong doing, he'll still live with it".

In the meantime, there are two families that are enduring unspeakable pain. Keep them in your prayers.

03-Jun-16
Getting alot of Nancy Grace's showing up around here lately.

03-Jun-16
KROC-am June 1st reported families Facebook page stated the boy passed away. It's up to the legal system now to determine what happens now. SAD in every way regardless of the circumstances.

02-Sep-16
This is unfortunate. Blood alcohol over the legal limit.

02-Sep-16
A Dodge County man has been charged in connection to the death of a 5-year-old boy, Hubbard Broadcasting-owned KAAL-TV reports.

Sixty-nine-year-old Myles Keller of Mantorville, Minnesota, has been charged with reckless driving and driving with excess alcohol content. He will not be charged with criminal vehicular homicide, KAAL-TV reports.

The crash happened May 25 in Byron, Minnesota, and killed 5-year-old Lukas Wharton, who had been playing outside with his wagon when he was hit by a vehicle driven by Keller, according to prosecutors.

The boy was taken to St. Marys Hospital in Rochester, where he died.

According to the Olmsted County Attorney’s Office, a post-crash sample of Keller’s blood was taken and indicated he was over the legal limit to drive. Keller was brought in for questioning but was not initially charged while the investigation was ongoing.

According to the attorney’s office, the driving conduct must be, beyond a reasonable doubt, a substantial factor in the death in order for someone to be charged with criminal vehicular homicide.

Because Keller was driving below the speed limit, was not swerving and stopped quickly, the case did not meet the requirements for criminal vehicular homicide, despite Keller's alcohol use, KAAL-TV reports.

If convicted of reckless driving, Keller faces up to one year in jail and up to $3,000 in fines.

02-Sep-16
Well I have to adamantly disagree with Jaquomo and Medicineman on this. Not usual that I disagree with these guys.

It’s pretty simple in my mind. I really don’t care what the legal limit is for driving after consumption of alcohol. If you’re impaired from alcohol, even one beer, don’t get behind the wheel of a vehicle. The little boy's life was taken and many, many more have been taken prior to his. Too many of us have lost loved ones as a result of alcohol.

02-Sep-16

Missouribreaks's Link

02-Sep-16
X2 B. Bob.

I don't get it, an innocent little boy was killed and somehow, because the man responsible for killing him is involved in the hunting community, he gets a pass. No sir! The statement by the Olmsted County Attorney says it all:

"It need not have happened."

I can't even imagine the heartbreak.

02-Sep-16
If he didn't swerve, then the kid was in the roadway. That must be why he wasn't charged with vehicular homicide. He should be tried for DUI, but it brings up something that I see around here all the time, and it's really ashamed. Lots of yards in neighborhoods here have signs that say "Drive like your children live here". I have to continually drive around kids in the street, whose parents must think it's a playground. My kid was under penalty of the rod if I caught him in the street. If you love your kids, you keep them safe. Blaming drivers for your own lackadaisical parenting is deplorable. I'm not necessarily saying that that's the case here, but it sure smells of it.

02-Sep-16
Ultrastealth -

When the DA says "...it need not have happened", he wasn't talking about the little boy being negligent, he was talking about the driver being impaired and negligent.

02-Sep-16
Another case of someone getting away with murder because of some piss ass law that protects the guilty. Myles Keller is a piece of shit.

02-Sep-16
Drinking 3 beers on an empty stomach then driving is a bad call.

A 5 year-old on a bike in the road is also a bad call.

Tragic all around.

02-Sep-16
The little boy wasn't necessarily negligent. The parents may have been though. Once again, I'm talking in generalities, and I'm not stating that it was for sure the case in this instance. I see situations around here all the time where parental neglect is absolutely putting kids in danger. Putting a sign in your yard is not a substitute for watching your kid.

02-Sep-16
It does not matter what the boy did, he is dead and did not break the law in any way, shape, or form. He was not operating a motorized vehicle.

Driving with over the legal limit of blood alcohol is illegal, dangerous and irresponsible. Hard to believe some do not understand that......and actually defend the practice.

02-Sep-16
I'm not going to throw any stones because my house has plenty of glass in it. There's two families here hurting. I'll just pray for both of them and leave it at that. Tragic accident which was preventable in many ways.

02-Sep-16
My comment is not meant as a defense for this situation. I do not know much about the case.

I think everyone on this forum would be horrified at the things SOME parents do, behave and act toward their children.

My wife is a Nurse that works with Peds. The stories and situations would blow your mind.

A child on the roadway without supervision would not even show up on the radar compared to what she sees everyday.

Be careful playing Judge and Jury.

02-Sep-16
Horrible story all the way round.

That said, while not a anti alcohol snob, I'm of the belief that if you have a drink you dont drive. The legal limit does not mean you are "NOT" impaired below it, just that you have not crossed this legal threshold.

Myles didnt need to drive after drinking that day. And if he did, he should not have lifted the bottle in the first place.

Stinks.

02-Sep-16
the odds that so many people above have first hand knowledge of the details of the accident, the families, etc, and the character of individuals is really amazing.

one would think on an internet forum the odds of people having firm info on any given legal case would be next zilch, but it appears we have about 80 people who are insiders into the case.

02-Sep-16
What a horrible tragedy!

I just read the link, when I hadn't heard anything else about this, I just assumed no charges where filed, and it was just a really bad accident that happened.

I feel horrible for that family, can't even imagine losing one of my kids. I don't believe there could be anything worse than losing a child! Please keep this family and Mr. Kellers family in your thoughts and prayers!

God Bless,

Scar.

02-Sep-16
Brotsky X10000000000000

02-Sep-16
I do not think anyone is passing judgement on the circumstances of the day, accidents happen.

It is not however a crime to be against drinking in excess... and driving. It has been clearly reported that Myles was over the legal alcohol limit and operating a motor vehicle. At age 69 he had plenty of years to know the law, and right from wrong.

I am against anyone driving while under the influence of alcohol, bowhunter or non bowhunter.

02-Sep-16
Tragedy no doubt and prayers to the boy's family. I drove home from work a couple of days ago after working 31 straight hours with no sleep. It was a bad piece of judgement on my part and I was not at my best. How many of you have done a similar thing driving to or from hunting and passed it off as just toughing it out? How many truckers, healthcare, and factory workers do it weekly? Are they as horrible as someone equally impaired by alcohol? Fatigue, cell phones, aggressive driving, prescription meds and just plain sub par driving skills cause tons of accidents and yet these drivers seem to get a pass. Judging from the charges, the investigation must have indicated that the accident was unavoidable.

02-Sep-16
"the odds that so many people above have first hand knowledge of the details of the accident, the families, etc, and the character of individuals is really amazing."

I don't know those odds, but the odds of Bou'Bound calling us out on it were damn near 100%. =)

He was not only charged with crimes, but the details have been reported. I wasn't there to have 1st hand knowledge of WWII either. But I can tell you a lot about it based on the historical record.

If we only formed opinions based on first hand knowledge, we'd all live our lives ignorant and uninformed.

Do you believe in God? Have you ever seen him?

I get your point that people shouldn't rush to judgement, but lumping everyone together takes the same leap of logic that you're calling out.

02-Sep-16
Accidents do happen in life, to all of us. I do not however equate working long hours and driving to sitting in the bar drinking beer then driving. Seems like one is more of a necessity.

02-Sep-16
I have no tolerance for people who drink and drive anywhere, anytime, whatsoever. I have never smoked, never done drugs of any kind and I never drink, ever. I do support eligibility of people who kill others while driving under the influence for the death penalty.

02-Sep-16
My brother was hit head on in 2008 on a four lane. He's still alive with a limp and a bunch of metal. Not sure how. It's sad all the way around, but if alcohol is the culprit or involved, not much more I need to know.....prayers sent

02-Sep-16
"Driving while drunk is serious. You want to take a risk then you better not get in an accident

Same goes while in a boat on a ATV or motocylce.

As I recall in MA a DUI with any motorized unit goes on your record. If you have a CDL basically need to choose a different career.

People who drink can possibly adapt to be able to manage their impairment, but that is entirely subjective. There also is the factor of distracted driving which increases the possibility of being in a serious accident

Last time I saw Keller was at a bowhunting organization banquet. We talked a bit as he was walking though the facility on his way to give the evenings presentation. I had my 2 year old son in my arms, dreaming about his chances of hunting with me, growing up with a hunting hero like Keller around.

That said I would have rather had that memory instead of the current one. Granted it may have been a situation were an un-impaired driver would have had a difficult time in avoiding the accident. The alcohol just made it that much more certain. Alcohol just ruins so any lives. As such I have significantly reduced my intake over the years, never drive with any in my system, just to be as sharp as possible while behind the wheel. I really, really don't like driving tired either, and I do travel a lot for work. Some times its just better to get a room and crash til morning , instead of crashing in an attempt to get home.

I pray for all involved in the case and everyone who will be on the road this fall.

02-Sep-16
I agree with this.

"It’s pretty simple in my mind. I really don’t care what the legal limit is for driving after consumption of alcohol. If you’re impaired from alcohol, even one beer, don’t get behind the wheel of a vehicle. The little boy's life was taken and many, many more have been taken prior to his. Too many of us have lost loved ones as a result of alcohol."

02-Sep-16
in 2013 my sister was hit head on by an impatient driver while I was way up North chasing rutting bucks. Got the call that morning drove 2hrs+ all the way back home to the hospital as I knew is was bad, really bad. Ended up being a broken neck but intact spinal cord, which she survived.

There was a light amount of mist, frost on the road, but what caused the accident was the driver in the other lane passing a semi she thought was going too slow, but the pathway was not clear. Due to quick reflexes my sister was able to move enough out of the way as soon as the other car came around the back of the semi so it wasn't a life ending accident. It was morning on the way to work-out at a fitness center. What if it would have been after working a full shift ,dinner and 1-2 glasses of wine??? What if the other driver had a few glasses of wine too? Driving is dangerous business always, best to be sharp as you can while doing it.

02-Sep-16
This is a complete tragedy. I agree wholeheartedly. A family lost a loved one due to Myles negligence. Period. None of us were there. We don't know exactly what happened.

All I can say is that if I put myself in the shoes of the father who lost his beloved son, I would not be so forgiving of a drunk driver, no matter who it is. Just my opinion.

03-Sep-16
I agree with Blacktail 100%.

I judge anyone who gets behind the wheel after drinking.

Matter a fact I wish the US would pass similar laws in US like Canada where you can't even call on your cell (no type).

I've lost more friends to driving than anything else. Think about that. All could have been avoided by them or the other driver.

Almost lost my wife to a idiot truck driver.

You take a drink and get behind the wheel it's on you if something bad happens.

03-Sep-16
I lost my wife sept 25 2013 because of a drunk driver crossing over and hitting her head on. she had seat belt on and the airbag deployed. they did what they could do for her in the trauma center ,but she succumb to her injuries. After much legal battles I finally got him sentenced for 5 yrs in prison,and loss of license for the rest of his life. nothing can replace the 40ty yrs of marriage. she was going to a dental appointment at 10 am and on a long straight stretch this drunk speeding crossed into her lane. no need for me to elaborate on my feelings on this topic. Have a safe hunting season on the highway and in the outdoors.

03-Sep-16
I'm so sorry pappy. Heart goes out to you man. Safe season to you as well.

03-Sep-16
Alcohol has caused pain and destruction for many family's... here is another tragic case. I feel for the young boy's family for their loss, I also feel for Mr. Keller and his family dealing with this nightmare... I can't imagine telling my wife I killed a youngster while driving under the influence of alcohol. Prayers for all involved.

03-Sep-16
I guess I'm a cruel old bastard, because my eyes tear up when I read about pappy's loss. I have no sympathy for Myles Keller at all. His decision to drive he made solely on his own and he needs to deal with the consequences. He deserves no compassion nor will he receive any from me.

03-Sep-16
As I have mentioned, I do some couseling with alcoholics. Being a recovering member of AA, myself, I feel I know a little about this terrible disease. I spent several years drunk every day. I now have over six years sobriety. (That's my bona fides.)

One or two drinks in a large man does not render them incapable of making good decisions or driving safely. However, it may well make them fail a BAT. That is driving under the influence, punishable by a variety of things depending on the state in which it happened.

Reckless endangerment is another crime, vehicular homicide is something else again, as is manslaughter. Don't get them all confused because the statutes may vary depending on the state.

I have counseled and talked with men an women who have been charged and convicted of all of the above and more. Fortunately, I have never been arrested, never spent a second in jail or charged. But it is only through God's Grace, I have never been involved in an accident or injured anyone. Had I been, it would have been noone's fault but my own.

One common thread runs through all of the stories. "I didn't get in trouble every time I drank. But every time I got in trouble, I waas drinking." That is something they all admit to.

If you can have one drink or one beer and walk away, not wanting another, you are not an alcoholic. If you have had too much to drink and know enough to let someone else drive, good chance you are not one of us. WE CAN'T DO THAT!!! And that is why I no longer drink anything with alcohol. I am a drunk-plain and simple, albeit a recovering drunk.

Maybe this will help someone and if you want to pm, me, I am always willing to listen.

03-Sep-16
That took a lot of balls, John. Glad you're clean and sober now.

03-Sep-16
This is why I will not put up with boozing in my camp. Accidents can happen at anytime in the field if you are intoxicated or high.

04-Sep-16
Well, my heart does go out to all involved! There are 'circumstances' in this tragedy that most here will never know. The news media don't do justice in their reporting also .... they just print and broadcast what and how 'they think' will get attention.

Myles is not a alcoholic drunk! He is a very considerate friendly nice man! It is very unfortunate that this did happen ... a friend here yesterday was visiting us in Illinois and he knows Myles also and lives close to him in Minnesota. He told me 'The Family Don't Hold Myles At Fault' for this tragic accident! (I knew that also) The yard terrain (hilly) and a roadway and children with wheeled 'toys' and playing unsupervised is not ideal. Things do happen in a split second ..... unavoidable things .... Tragic for all involved!!

I pray for the child and his family! I also pray for Myles and his family! Living with the pain for the rest of your life is not a easy cross to bare!

To hurt someone intentionally is one thing .... but to carry that cross of unintentionally hurting another is forever weighing you down. A burden I myself pray I never have to carry! I can only imagine the gut felt cramping and crying and misery that now follows .....

04-Sep-16
Headhunter, my thoughts exactly. If this was avoidable there would be more aggressive charges. It's a tragedy all the way around. Very sad.

04-Sep-16
We'll never know if alcohol played a role. But he chose to drink and drive while over the legal limit. This obviously wasn't his first time, and so was just a matter of time.

I was critical of those who rushed to judgment before all the facts were known. But then, this is the internet...

04-Sep-16
I don't think we can even conclude that his impairment was a factor in the accident. If the following quote is true:

Because Keller was driving below the speed limit, was not swerving and stopped quickly, the case did not meet the requirements for criminal vehicular homicide, despite Keller's alcohol use, KAAL-TV reports.

Then perhaps it was unavoidable. I did not re-read every post and may have missed something. If so I'll admit I am wrong.

Think about it. Not all accidents are a direct result of negligent driving, whether the driver was sober or dead drunk. What if a kid jumped right in front of a car?

I'm not excusing drunk driving and I barely remember who Miles Keller is, but from what I read I don't know how drunk he was and whether or not a sober driver would have saved that kid.

04-Sep-16
Although I don't partake myself, I have nothing against guys having a few drinks. It becomes a totally different story though when they cross the line and want to get behind the wheel of a vehicle or operate other equipment after drinking. Not acceptable behavior.

I guess the average guy thinks its OK to have a beer or two and then drive. Average has never been a goal of mine.

04-Sep-16

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo

kellyharris's Link
My employer will fire anyone immediately convicted of a dui its in our contract.

04-Sep-16
I would lose my state license and could not enter Canada, it would be a financial suicide for 1 DWI. Had to refuse many times on a drink before I got behind a wheel, just take one mistake and it this life style would be done.

04-Sep-16
Such a tragedy....I would rather be that dead child than to live with what Myles Keller will have to live with.

04-Sep-16

26-Jan-17
Praying for all involved.

27-Jan-17
I was thinking the same exact thing as Brotsky!

27-Jan-17
Well, alcohol was involved and shame on Keller. He's lucky not to be charged with manslaughter, and the fact that he will continue on with living his lifestyle and that little boy won't is very sad. I hope the family of the boy will find strength somehow to live as best they can. Keller should serve the full year in prison,which I suppect he won't and I hope the family sues him for what he has. Living the rest of his life in luxury doesn't seem right, not for what he and he alone did. You drink and drive you gotta do the time and pay the fine. As the old beretta TV series song said," don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

27-Jan-17
LBSHOOTER...

Hold onto your hat brother the Bowsite Brotherhood Beat Down is headed your way! Ask me how I know...

God Bless,

Scar.

27-Jan-17
I believe there is pending litigation both criminal and civil, so I would not assume that Myles is getting away with anything.

27-Jan-17
Pappy - my God - prayers sent.

Every time I have ever arrested someone for DWI, at the time of the stop its always - "I've only had 3 beers" - Keller is over 200#, I've met him a few times and would guess his weight at closer to 230#, and just 3 beers IS NOT going to put him over .08. If you slam 3 beers and take a breath test, it will put you at a high level ... but this was blood and slamming "3 beers" will not put that level of alcohol into your blood stream in that short of a time frame ... impossible!

I've been to so damn many accidents involving alcohol it makes me sick ... most of the time it's the innocent ones that pay the price just like PAPPY'S WIFE ... and now him.

Was I there to count how many beers he drank? ... nope ... but I've seen enough breath and blood tests to call BS to his "only 3 beers"

I'm with Blacktail Bob 100%. I have absolutely no sympathy for Keller - he should spend the rest of his life behind bars - period! That, in essence, is exactly where the family of that little boy is - every day for the rest of their lives they will relive that nightmare of the dad carrying his son from that accident scene.

Keller IS NOT the one who needs the prayers ... it's the grieving family.

28-Jan-17
Here is my take on this mess. He did something wrong. We really don't have all the facts. But now, everyone wants to hang him. To me you guys are all sounding like real hypocrites. How many of you root for these pro atheletes that have many drunk driving charges or drug charges against them. An you still wear their jersey and root for them every sunday . Why because they are your heroes and can do no wrong. Even with all the charges against them. Your idiots.

28-Jan-17
So if tomorrow some kid comes wheeling down a hill into the path of your vehicle and you were to hit him or her. All the self righteous in this thread would just insist on being incarcerated for life? Regardless of whether alcohol was involved or not or whether the kids parents were negligent. Some of you would just fall on your sword?

28-Jan-17
There's a possibility that this kid flew out of nowhere and he didn't have a chance to avoid him. These things happen to sober people. Just playing Devil's Advocate, but because the event isn't on video, no one can know. There's no excuse for driving with alcohol in your system and it may have been a factor, but there's no way to know what actually happened.

Nonetheless, I think it's fair for someone with alcohol in their system that is involved in this sort of thing...society has to err on the side of justice. The rules of the game are there - if you decide to break them, you pay the consequences irrespective of what went down.

28-Jan-17
Myself and some of my family are the kind that would deal street justice on the likes of Mr. Keller. As we all know our justice system is a joke. Judges and prosecutors can be too lenient on drunk drivers.

28-Jan-17
What was he finally charged with, and what is his sentence?

28-Jan-17
"Myself and some of my family are the kind that would deal street justice on the likes of Mr. Keller. As we all know our justice system is a joke. Judges and prosecutors can be too lenient on drunk drivers. "

.................and on vigilantes too.

28-Jan-17
As far as I've seen, judges and prosecutors are often times more heavy-handed with vigilantes and street justice than the are on the original perpetrator. They don't like folks doing their job for them - it threatens their way of life and delegitimizes their role.

28-Jan-17
Movie outcomes aside, those who commit vigilante acts (it's not justice in any way) often end up spending more time behind bars (and make their families suffer far more) than the guy they blame. I don't know the total facts behind this situation with MK. On a more general note, the main question for me would be if drinking alcohol caused the accident or worsened it. If not, then it's a case of dui and penalty should be appropriate to it. If the drunk driver caused the wreck or death...very different penalties.

28-Jan-17
Unfortunately Kevin when alcohol is involved and proven, you can't find a good enough attorney to save you no matter the facts. Plus the other victim being a 5 year old........A child is rightfully innocent of any fault. Even if MK had not had a drink there would still be litigation. Maybe not jail time but litigation none the less. Sad for all involved. Something both sides will struggle with daily til their last.

28-Jan-17
We all know the rules and potential consequences, why would anyone get behind the wheel after having one too many?

28-Jan-17
Jodie the answer to that question lies in the fact that the decision is made while under the influence. A sober person tends to make different decisions vs an intoxicated one.

killinstuff I agree. Some situations just seem to demand accountability and punishment. A child enters the road...hit by a guy coming home from work, or a guy coming home from a bar. The accident may be unavoidable in either case, but the heavier burden will fall on the drinker, even if the .08 or greater didn't cause the accident. It's just part of the deal when you get behind the wheel intoxicated and something bad happens...even if you didn't technically cause it. And again...my comments are more general, as I know ZIP about the MK case.

28-Jan-17
Judge not!!

28-Jan-17
No alcohol involved and no accident and it wasn't a five year old, but I just about had the pizz scared outta me.

I was driving home from work on a nasty, rainy night. It was really coming down. A guy, I'm guessing a teenager from his build, comes ripping out of a side street on a black or dark blue bike, wearing a black hoodie, black jeans and black boots. No reflectors anywhere. Black tape on the handlebars. Black paint on the wheels and spokes.

When he shoots in front of my truck, pedaling full tilt, about all I could see was the cranks of the pedals, his hands and the aluminum brake assemblies.

A few seconds of difference and everybody's life would've been different. I spent a little while shouting at my dash and trying to shake off the adrenaline.

I don't know MK and I'm not excusing his error. I don't know if his condition was fully the cause of this tragedy.

I do know that I can imagine the scenario where the driver may have had no chance to avoid the accident.

And I don't blame the parents. I can't count the number of times I could've ended up dead as a kid. Kids do a lot of "Jackass" activities in the process of growing up. Parents can't catch every one. And it only takes one to go wrong forever.

28-Jan-17
Nothing wrong with street justice. Sometimes if those involved would hand out a real sentence not a slap-on-the-wrist or a suspended sentence with no jail time then there would be no need for the perp to be dealt with. Some criminals know th ey won't get the deserved justice they should and laugh at the system. Little Susie,four years old,gets raped and beat up and left to die. Teddy gets six months total jail time and he's back on the streets. Same day he gets out he raped another young girl. Back to jail he goes laughing all the way.

29-Jan-17
There is NO question that if someone is .08 they were impaired at some degree. The situation that Orion stated above would be unavoidable for a sober as well as impaired driver if a few seconds later, but that's the risk you take when you get behind the wheel. We just had a case in OH last week that went to jury. 70 year old man hit two people walking on the shoulder wearing all black clothing. He stopped called 911, tried to comfort the people. Both people (in their 50's) died, his BA was over .10. His attorney argued that he wasn't the cause it was the people walking the wrong way, on the road wearing black at night. He was found guilty, still waiting for sentence. This could have happened to a sober driver ( just like Orion's post) but hard to defend your actions when you're over the limit!

DJ

29-Jan-17
There is always the argument that a sober driver may have had a better view, and or reaction time. That is valid, driving drunk is illegal and a crime, no matter the outcome. Drunk drivers make the choice...and should pay the price.

03-Feb-17
We live in the country. Back roads with no shoulder and no street lights. One night while driving home I came up on 2 teenagers in all black walking IN the road, on the wrong(my) side of the road. Thank God there just happened to be a car coming the other way and as it approached I could see their silhouettes in the (oncoming) car's headlights. No way I would have seen them in my headlights until it was too late! I still get chills even thinking about it! God was with us that night for sure. I pulled over and pointed out what a stupid and dangerous thing they were doing and like most teenagers, they had no clue! Looked at me like I had 2 heads. I still don't think they had a clue how close they came to dying that night! : (

03-Feb-17
If he's guilty, he should serve his time, but hopefully the family doesn't read any of the advice offered here it will turn their grief into prolonged hatred and pain. Hopefully the family can learn to forgive. Sounds impossible but the way for them to resume any form of a normal life it to forgive MK. If they do not forgive they will live bitter, and vengeful, and it will tear the family apart. soap box of the day, just sayin oz

03-Feb-17
From ABC 6 News... "A lot of decisions contributed to Lukas' death, certainly Mr. Keller's decision to drink and drive and take that circuitous route were significant contributors to his death. It need not have happened." The gross misdemeanor charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in jail and a $3,000 fine. Keller will not be kept in jail during the court process".

He took the back way home instead of driving on major streets BECAUSE he had been drinking on an empty stomach and didn't wan to risk it... If this is all true, and if he hadn't been drinking, he would not have taken that way home, and the kid would still be alive. Every action has a reaction. Still Praying for that kids family and Mr. Kellers.

God Bless,

Scar.

• Sitka Gear