cnelk 26-May-16
hydro psyche 26-May-16
cnelk 26-May-16
cnelk 26-May-16
Vids 26-May-16
MathewsMan 26-May-16
hydro psyche 26-May-16
26-May-16
So I applied for a non-resident preference point this year, but don't plan to hunt until fall of 2017. If I apply next year for a point, and a license, can I look to apply for a unit that requires 2 points, or will next year's point count towards a potential 2018 hunt?

26-May-16
If you apply for a point as your first choice and a license for your second choice in 2017, then you would have 2 points going into 2018.

Points are only added or subtracted based on your first choice.

26-May-16
So for 2016, I only applied for a preference point using the EP99999P code during the application(which is only supposed to be for a preference point).

I'm assuming I will get this point, and it'll carry over to 2017...when I apply for a point, and unit draw in February 2017, for my hunt in fall 2017, will that second point be applicable for that 2017 hunt, or will I only be able to apply for a unit requiring one point(using the point I'll be given this year? In other words, is a point awarded in a given year only able to be used for an application for the following year, or can it be applied for a unit draw in the same year it's awarded?

I'm still trying to understand all of this, so my question may be totally confusing. I'm really just trying to figure out what units I will be able to apply for to hunt in fall 2017

26-May-16
No, you will only have 1 PP going into next year. So you may draw a unit that requires 1 PP, but have no shot at drawing a unit that requires 2. Make sense?

26-May-16
Point is awarded AFTER THE DRAW.

First year applying you choose PP or if you select a unit and don't draw a tag, you'll earn 1 point after the draw.

Second year applying you'll have 1 PP: if you choose PP or don't draw a tag, you'll earn your 2nd PP after the draw.

Third year applying you'll have 2PP going into the draw.

26-May-16
You will only have one point going toward your 2017 application if 2016 is the first year you applied.

26-May-16
Got it. So if I apply for and draw a tag on a unit requiring 1PP for fall 2017, can I also apply for another point separately, to give me 1PP for the fall 2018 draw? Or am I not eligible at all for a point if I draw a unit?

26-May-16
I kind of understand what you are asking. I think you are asking that if you applied for a point this year, that you will have one point, then next year, when you apply, will you have this years point and next years point for applying. Kind of, but not really. Basically, for each year that you apply and are unsuccessful, you get a point, so if you apply this year and next, without drawing, you will have two points going into the application period for 2018.

So if an area that you want to hunt, takes two points next year, in 2018, if you have applied in 2016, and 2017, and have accrued two points, you will have a good chance to draw that tag. But nothing is certain given point creep, tag allocations, and the shifting of applicants as point creep worsens.

26-May-16
No, you cannot draw a tag and get a point in the same year. You either draw a tag, or get a point. Except for, in Colorado, where you can draw a second, or third choice tag and keep earning points. Or you can buy an OTC tag.

26-May-16
No on your last question. If you use your point for the hunt in 2017, that means you drew your first choice and then you would have zero points going into 2018.

26-May-16
hydro psyche...

To your last question, no you cannot draw a tag and get a point.

A point is only awarded if you apply for a point or, you apply for a draw unit and are unsuccessful in the draw.

You can only be awarded, at maximum, 1 point per species per year.

If you are successful in drawing a tag, then all your points go away for that species and you start the next year at zero points for that species.

26-May-16
OK I get it now. I'm guessing then I should be doing research and have up to 4 plans for hunting fall 2017:

1. First choice, 1PP unit 2. Second choice, 1PP unit, if first choice is a no go 3. Third choice, 1PP unit, if second choice is a no go 4. OTC unit

Does that sound about right?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going solo, and want to prepare as much as possible, as early as possible.

26-May-16
Your second, third and fourth choices in that scenario will be gone before you have a chance.

For second choice unit, you need to look at units that were able to be drawn as a second choice. Same goes for third and fourth choices.

26-May-16
2016: Get OTC tag, go hunt. Get your feet wet. 2017: 1st choice pref point. Get OTC tag. 2018: 1st choice pref point. Get OTC tag. 2019: Based on what you've learned decide if there are some 3 point units you want to try. If not repeat the same plan again. Repeat until there is a unit you can draw that you want to hunt.

26-May-16
Basically you are always 1 year in the rears with PPs

It's very important to plan how you gonna play the PP game if you want to hunt each and every year.

26-May-16
Vids,

Not sure I'm understanding what my options would be. I wanna say there were between 15 and 20 1PP either sex units(which is what I'm focusing on), so if none of those were able to be drawn as second choice, I'm guessing if my first choice isn't drawn then my only option will be OTC?

26-May-16
You can wait for the leftover list to come out.

26-May-16
Something to remember when looking at the stats. If it says MIMIMUM points to draw - like 1 PP - doesn't mean that everyone with 1 PP drew. It means that SOME drew with 1 PP. the tag will be guaranteed drawn with 2 PPs

26-May-16

Vids's Link
I'm not sure what statistics data you're looking at, but based on the draw statistics here:

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2015ElkDrawRecap.pdf

For example, hunt code EE050O1A is drawn out at 2nd choice, and there are a few others too.

I don't see any available as a third choice or lower except for ones that will be really tough to find elk in without private property permission. (As far as I know, I don't know those units well though)

Those 15-20 units you mention that are available with 0-1 points are all gone at first choice, they are not available when the draw starts looking at peoples second choices.

Hope that helps.

26-May-16
Keep in mind it's based only on the actual applicants and their points for the current draw.

My advice would be stick to the 0 to 2 point areas vs OTC as the pressure will be somewhat controlled.

That being said, OTC can be zero pressure and incredible hunting one year and crowded, poor another.

26-May-16
This is all definitely helpful. So I should be looking at a 1PP unit where I'll have a better chance at drawing, otherwise, plan for an OTC hunt somewhere and stack a point for the following year.

• Sitka Gear