midwest 28-May-16
EJG 29-May-16
Mule Power 29-May-16
Fulldraw1972 29-May-16
bowhunter 30-May-16
jims 30-May-16
Mule Power 30-May-16
28-May-16
Hunting a new area in Colorado and was wanting a really detailed map. Most topo's I have been coming across are not great when it comes to Hybrid/topos with really grainy 1980's imaging.

28-May-16
Lots of options out there these days. I've always used mytopo.com

28-May-16
DIY Hunting Maps is a bowsite sponsor and Jordan has nice maps. Check his stuff out.

28-May-16
Purchased a yearly. Thanks for the advice!

28-May-16
A little while back Game Planner Maps had a free thing going on. You could check to see if they still have it. Just another resource. Never have to many..

Ed

28-May-16
Personally, I like the simple color aerial view without all the topo lines. It makes it easier for me to navigate in unfamiliar territory when using my GPS. I can see the thick timber and/or brush patches, and find a way through or around them better that way.

I just subscribe to MyTopo Map Pass, and download an aerial map of my areas in a .kmz file, and upload it to my GPS (I use a 1:12,500 scale).

After all, I'm just going from one waypoint to another, and I can easily add those waypoints to my GPS map using Google Earth coordinates before I leave for my hunt.

Works well for me.

Best of Luck, Jeff

28-May-16
I guess I am old school. I like the 7.5 minute maps. I do add shading and and UTM tic marks. I review via GE at home, I load waypoints into GPS.

I use mytopo maps. Weatherproof, hi quality and quick service.

28-May-16
I do exactly like Z.

29-May-16
I like Start My Hunt and Mytopo

29-May-16

Mule Power's Link
I'd say Game Planner. Add whatever layers you want and fade each one until you can see exactly what you want to. An aerial with topo lines and blue lines for water for example. Game unit boundaries, land ownership boundaries. You can go on there and play with it for free and get them printed if you want to. Two sided maps on waterproof paper are sure nice.

Click the link pick a state and play with it. If you're a map guy it's fun!

29-May-16
I like the Nat Geo trails illustrated maps myself.

30-May-16
Like Midwest and Z ...I download 7.5 minute quadrant maps of the area I plan to hunt. I then use GE and find points of interest. I mark the spots on the map and the last 3 digits of the UTM cords. I can go right to them with any GPS.

30-May-16
I"ve often found it helpful to have a printed map with me in the field rather than looking at the small screen on a GPS.

I sometimes just zoom in on Google Earth and other times print off areas in Topozone. If I'm in an area with lots of private I'll use OnXMaps while hunting and make way points on it for reference.

30-May-16
Absolutely Jims. A GPS doesn't replace a map. Especially if it decides to take the day off without notice right!

• Sitka Gear