CO Elkaholic 28-May-16
RymanCat 29-May-16
Cazador 29-May-16
deerman406 29-May-16
6point 29-May-16
jims 30-May-16
moch 31-May-16
28-May-16
My man cave is in the basement of our house and it is full of all kinds of mounts and rugs that I have killed over the years. All have been professionally tanned and mounted. The last few years, my wife and I have noticed that whenever we spend time downstairs that our eyes and noses start to burn and I get stuffed up and start to cough. There isn't a specific odor I can identify but there is definitely something in the air that is emanating from all the taxidermy that is causing our symptoms. We keep the mounts clean and I don't think our problem is coming from anything else. I try to keep a window open during the warmer months but even that doesn't solve the problem. I feel pretty sure it must be some of the tanning chemicals that are causing the issue. Have any of you guys experienced this from your taxidermy and if so, what can be done to mitigate the problem? Thanks.

28-May-16
Haven't , but maybe some high quality hepa-filters might help.

28-May-16
My man cave is in the basement of our house and it is full of all kinds of mounts and rugs that I have killed over the years. All have been professionally tanned and mounted. The last few years, my wife and I have noticed that whenever we spend time downstairs that our eyes and noses start to burn and I get stuffed up and start to cough. There isn't a specific odor I can identify but there is definitely something in the air that is emanating from all the taxidermy that is causing our symptoms. We keep the mounts clean and I don't think our problem is coming from anything else. I try to keep a window open during the warmer months but even that doesn't solve the problem. I feel pretty sure it must be some of the tanning chemicals that are causing the issue. Have any of you guys experienced this from your taxidermy and if so, what can be done to mitigate the problem? Thanks.

28-May-16
Check for. MOLD. Not on mounts but air ducts walls etc.

28-May-16
no way it is the mounts. has to be an airborne contagion of some kind. the mounts did not all show up at once and start stinking.

28-May-16
6 point, I would take a look into the mold and mildew possibility. All the moisture and flooding Colorado has had over the last few years has become an issue in several places. It usually comes with a musty smell but not always. Another thing I would check is your furnace and water heater. Sometimes there can be a crack in the heat exchanger that will emit carbon monoxide that. Public Service or the gas company will test for free. That might lead to what the problem is.

29-May-16
Never had any problems house and bed rooms filled with taxy items. Must be something else or some poor work that's been done? I'd get it figured out before ya get sick from possible toxins.

29-May-16
Your symptoms are signs of an Alergies reaction. MOLD spores in the air can do this. MOLD is bad stuff. Trying to find it and get rid of it require professional help. Have the house air tested.

29-May-16
Buy a commercial grade ozone machine. A good one will run any where from 5 to 8 hundred dollars. It will kill the mold and mildew and any airborne contagion. I paid 800 for mine and it will treat 2000 sq. feet. It works wonders on odors and I use it too treat all my hunting clothes as an added bonus. Shawn

29-May-16
Thanks for your responses. I am thinking your right that mold may be the cause of the problem. We have had several instances of some rain water coming through the window wells and thought we had dried everything out completely. We may have contracted mold even though we tried to be very careful. I will have it checked out.

30-May-16
In your case mold may be the problem. Is there any smell coming from your mounts? I got a dall sheep back from a taxidermist. I screwed up the cape on my ram so bought a cape from the taxidermist. It smelled horrible...especially when the weather turned wet. The taxidermist told me to spray scent blocker on the mount and that took care of the problem. I didn't have any nose or eye problems so your problem is likely mold?

31-May-16
sometimes in a basement situation if there is consistent moisture in the room the mounts can grow mold between the hide and the form. some hide pastes have mold deterrents but others do not. not saying the mounts are bad it could just be moisture control is needed to make sure to much moisture does not build up. Dry is always best for mounted trophies.

• Sitka Gear