ohiohunter 16-Jun-16
APauls 16-Jun-16
wkochevar 16-Jun-16
wkochevar 16-Jun-16
Jaquomo 16-Jun-16
ohiohunter 16-Jun-16
Buffalo1 16-Jun-16
10-Jun-16
Looking for recommendations for some lightweight rain gear that is not excessive in price, but effective in dryness, both exterior and interior. and offers quietness.

Not looking for monsoon condition gear. Just something to put in a backpack and stay dry should I happen to get caught in a shower.

Thanks

10-Jun-16
Sorry I do not bel;ieve there is such a thing! I have been looking for at least ten years cannot find anything that works.

10-Jun-16
I've been looking into Neoshell fabric but haven't come across many reviews from hunters. It might be just what you are looking for.

11-Jun-16
There actually is raingear available for cheap that works incredible for the price. Take a look at Marmot Precip. It is super light, jackets have pitzips, and works like a dream. Precips are made of a higher end gortex that breathes very well. The only draw back is they don't come in camo. I buy green or brown colors. I often use it for fishing in the rain and have used them on numerous trips to Alaska, Colorado, and Wyo.

They work so well and are so cheap I've actually bought 2 pairs. I got mine for around $50/pant or jacket at Sierra Trading using a 20 to 30% discount coupon code off their already great prices. You won't find a better breathable raingear for the price!

11-Jun-16
what does "works well for the price" mean with rain gear.

You only get a little wet some of the time? you still get wet but it takes a little longer?

I get some equipment we are willing to compromise on price for need and utility and the difference between premium and good enough stuff is less than the cost difference so it is a "value for the price"

with rain gear I may look at it a bit different. If it is raining and I am out in it if I get wet after two hours in marginal stuff and stay dry in good stuff that costs more I may opt to stay dry.

a day lost afield due to being too wet to endure, eventually, is expensive beyond the cost of the rain suit.

a day spent afield looking skyward with trepidation the whole time due to knowing if it rains I am going to be miserable is expensive beyond the cost of the rain suit too.

with good rain gear, as opposed to "good rain gear for the price", you just hunt without worries as you know you will be able to deal with the elements.

get something that will keep you dry. period. and be done with it.

I know the original poster just wanted something to keep in dry in a shower, no need for more, but why not get something that working in more too.......you'll still be protected in the shower!

11-Jun-16
Core4element Torrent rain gear. It packs down small enough to stick in your pack and also works good as a windbreaker. Best price is on Camofire.

11-Jun-16
Revel Rain Gear- Sylo, get it on Camofire for half price. its a little bulkier than some. I got mine and stood directly under the shower for 20 minutes in it and stayed dry. It appears to be pretty good stuff. It might be the same as the Core4element stuff, i'm not sure.

Scar.

11-Jun-16
The C4 Torrent is a very good rain jacket at a good price. It is the only coat I carry to cover rain, wind, or a chilly morning. The negative to it, as well as all soft shells, is that it does not dry quickly. Depending on your situation that may not be a problem. But if all you have is a line to hang it on in a tent, the bottom of the sleeves and waist line will still be wet the next morning and there will be a puddle of water on the floor of your tent underneath the coat.

Marmot Precip also is very good. I use the pants.

11-Jun-16
I can't imagine, for your situation, that there is a better choice than Cabelas Space Rain. Marmot Precip would also do the trick, but I think Cabelas Space Rain is perfect for your situation.

11-Jun-16
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~marmot-precip/?perPage=24 You can get an additional 20 to 30% off with a coupon code!

When I'm not wearing my sitka I wear marmot precip. From several years of use and abuse the sitka's and precips are very similar but the precips are a fraction of the price. You may want to compare the reviews compared to the others mentioned in the posts above.

11-Jun-16
kota-man X2

I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now. I got a tear in it once's and put a piece gorilla tape on the inside of the jacket and the tape is still there after a few years.

Ed

11-Jun-16

11-Jun-16
If you're only concerned about putting something on during a sudden cloudburst then take it off when your're done, throw a cheap $2 emergency poncho in your daypack.

Granted, you may get a little wet afterward with wet grass and all.

Otherwise, spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 - $500. Anything less will likely make you wet from perspiration as though you weren't wearing any.

11-Jun-16
I used the core4element torrent last fall for 3 weeks in northern quebec caribou hunting. Got it off camofire. I also took cabelas tourney tail heavy duty fishing rain gear. After all day rains I can tell you both sucked. If it wasnt for the oil heater at night drying both sets out Ida died. The core4 was quiet but held water like mad. Would suck in the sleeve cuffs and soak my shirt. The cabelas stuff was better but by the end of the hunt was absorbing water as well. This year I am taking my cabelas space rain and my first lite storm tight (which I purchased as soon as I got home!!!). Neither are super quiet. Neither absorb water. If its raining....it doesnt need to be quiet. It needs to be waterproof!In your case, cabelas space rain is the perfect option.

11-Jun-16
Greg, I have made in USA Cabelas MT050 GoreTex rain jacket that I've only used a couple of times. XL in Mossy Oak. PM me if you're interested and I'll make you a deal

11-Jun-16
Anyone.....the Marmot Precip is only 15,000 waterproof. Gortex is twice that. Are you saying it's keeping you dry?

11-Jun-16
Anyone interested in what I now believe to be the best rain jacket ever made, check out Copper River Fleece.

11-Jun-16
He's not looking for "rain all day" rain gear. He's looking for "in the pack, keep me dry if happens to rain" rain gear. In that case 15000 should be fine, thus the recommendation for Cabelas Space Rain or Marmot Precip. If he was going to Ak, I'd say Sitka Storm Front but for in the pack rain gear, you cannot beat the Cabelas and Precip.

11-Jun-16
I was just throwing it out there in case someone is in need of real rain gear and happened upon this thread :)

11-Jun-16
kota-man has hit the nail on the head. I can assure you if I were going NWT, AK, etc. I would be getting Sitka. I am looking for "light gear" for going to a blind, etc. in some light rain or an occasional shower during a hunt. Or, maybe use during a round of golf in summer showers.

I am looking at the Cabelas Space Rain and the Marmot Precip. I think either of those 2 pieces of equipment would meet my needs.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. You have shared some great options to explore.

11-Jun-16
Sitka Storm Front. I sat in a bear stand in Saskatchewan in a terrible storm for over two hours last Saturday. Rain stopped. 1 1/2 hour boat ride back to camp... DRY AS A BONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!...Warm too.... Scott

11-Jun-16
Sitka storm front !!! And if you can't find that get Sitka storm front , and if that doesn't work get Sitka storm front.... Get the drift??? I sat deer hunting in an absolute downpour and I might as well have been indoors I was so dry!!! Expensive yes but you'll have it for a lifetime!!

11-Jun-16
Is the Sitka Storm front packable?

11-Jun-16
How does the Marmot Precip compare to the Helly Hansen Impertech line?

12-Jun-16
Another vote for Cabelas Space Rain gear. Its the only hunting rain gear I carry anymore. The most important aspect for rain gear is to remember that it doesn't work sitting in camp. You won't know the Space gear is in the bottom of your pack.

12-Jun-16
I have a pair of the Sylogear.com Revel rain pants and I have used them all day in pouring rain and they kept me perfectly dry. My C4E torrent jacket, not so much.

I have a few pieces of the Sylogear stuff and it's super high quality even though it's going pretty cheap on camofire.com

Cheers, Pete

12-Jun-16
Space Rain! Nuff said.

12-Jun-16
I was personally told that Sylogear is rebranded C4E. I have had both.

12-Jun-16
The Marmot precip is a lot lighter and compact than Helly Henson. Most of the Helly Henson is rubberized so doesn't breath at all. If you aren't hiking HH is fantastic but if you are active you will get wet from the inside out.

I've been in a lot of rain in Alaska and the precip worked great for me when I was fishing. On a sheep hunt my buddy got soaking wet with his REI and Cabelas brand raingear. He borrowed my precip and was dry from that time on.

Not all Gortex is created equally. There is a list of waterproof materials on the Marmot website under "technology" that explains each. I noticed that the new precip are made with nanopro. I'm pretty sure the old models used Gortex Paclite. Although paclite is likely a lot better I have both old and new models of precip and they both have performed equally well.

If in rain for days and days, the hardest part for me is trying to keep the inside of my raingear dry. Having pitzips helps ventilation and like I said in an earlier post I would NEVER buy a rain jacket that doesn't have pitzips! I don't believe Cabelas Space Rain jackets have pitzips?

12-Jun-16
I like my Core 4 torrent gear, purchased at Camofire

12-Jun-16
Kuiu is hands down the best...

12-Jun-16
The OP asked for a specific application and price range.

I would ask this question about all of the brands mentioned - and all have their place - which set is ALWAYS in your hunting pack for an unexpected downpour in the backcountry, not just available in camp in case the weather gets rainy and stays rainy for days.

I have a bunch of different brands with different types of membranes. For pure solid rain the Ridgeline products from New Zealand are the best I've ever found (they know bad weather down there) but it's too heavy to always be in the bottom of my pack, as the OP requested.

12-Jun-16
Obvious from my past posts if I couldn't afford Sitka I would always have Marmot precips in my pack (which I always do when I don't need camo). Super light, compact, breath well, pitzips, $50 each...can't beat them for the price!

12-Jun-16
....not to stray off topic, but what are the thoughts of those who use First Lite?

12-Jun-16
In terms of the options discussed here, the best 2 for meeting the OP's question are the Space Rain and Precip. Neither is what I would call quiet, but the space rain is quieter than the Precip (I own both).

Space rain is not really designed for hard hiking and busting brush (I can't envision ever leaving the tent, truck or boat wearing either), but is more for weathering those freak thunderstorms that can sometimes pop up.

12-Jun-16
Dwitt2n, I use First Lite and i am very happy with it, but it is not cheap. It's very light so you will carry it.

12-Jun-16
...Jim...PM sent.

12-Jun-16
SteveB...The Sitka Storm Front isn't exactly what I would call packable. In fact of the 4 rain gear lines Sitka makes the only true "packable" one is the Dewpoint. The Dewpoint is awesome packable rain gear but very expensive.

For anyone really interested, read and reread Jaq's and Matt's posts above. It contains all you need to know regarding the OP's original question.

Elkman...KUIU makes a decent product, but "hands down the best"? I respectfully disagree. But aren't we lucky to have so many great choices??? ;)

12-Jun-16
For what the OP is looking for, couldn't agree more with the Space Rain recommendation. It's certainly not the most durable raingear available, but for those sudden mountain thunderstorms, it keeps me dry while I wait it out. When the thunderstorm's over, it goes back in my pack.

I used to carry more durable raingear, but it was much more bulky and heavy. After a couple days of hauling it around, out it came. Doesn't matter how good your raingear is, it's not worth a hill of beans when it's back at camp staying warm and dry while you're miles from camp getting drenched! Space Rain's so small and light it never leaves my pack.

BTW, now you can get even more bang for your buck. Cabela's is having a sale on Space Rain as we speak.

12-Jun-16
And the winner is ????

12-Jun-16
Space Rain Gear by Cabelas

Ordered top and bottoms. Delivery by 6/21

Thanks for everyone's input and helpful suggestions.

12-Jun-16
Good choice, I actually was there yesterday and picked up a new pair of space rain pants at a steal of a price

12-Jun-16
Thanks to this thread I checked out Cabelas and found an Impertech jacket in Outfitter. I have a lot of the lighter options but not that bombproof jacket. Now I do. Good thing I'm a skinny dude cause the small was the largest they had. I checked out the size chart on the HH site and the small accommodates up to a 39 1/2 chest. Should work fine. Worth a shot for 60 Bucks.

12-Jun-16
I have an Impertech fishing outer and it will definitely keep you dry!

13-Jun-16
Haven't been happy with my C4E Rain gear I bought on camofire. First jacket leaked bad very obviously when I tried it in the shower, second one on warranty I just seem to get slowly wet. Zipper also doesn't work very well.

I will be buying other rain gear.

14-Jun-16
Thanks everybody, I piggybacked on this thread and got a lot from it. I've been considering Space Rain for my pack on elk hunts and have my answer. I will also be carrying higher quality more expensive rain gear next time I go north to a remote and potentially wet hunt.

14-Jun-16
Steve, that's a great solution. There is no "one size fits all" for foul weather gear for an outdoorsman. I wouldn't use the Space gear for a Quebec caribou hunt where there is lots of brush and it rains all the time.

Likewise, when elk hunting my serious weather gear stays in base camp, but the Space is there in my pack every day.

Two years ago on the afternoon before elk season opened at the end of August a terrific hailstorm hit our area. Temps dropped 40 degrees and the hail piled up 4" deep. A deadly hypothermia kind of storm. Someone with a Space outfit in a pack would be in exponentially better shape than a guy with a killer expensive rain suit back in camp.

14-Jun-16
Got some old Cabelas rain suede I've only worn once I could let go cheap. Realtree I believe. Large

14-Jun-16
It's interesting how some view certain products with two thumbs up & how others dislike it?

I use Kryptek light weight rain gear at 175.00 a set, weighs 2-lbs for tops & bottoms. Tough as nails & I've been in 6 hours of non stop rain & wet snows as well as many other storms, not one issue with this gear & reasonably priced, no need to change for any of our Mule Deer & Elk hunts.

My son has used the Core4 Torrent raingear at 2-lbs a set for 3 years now, he likes it as much as I like mine, again, inexpensive for aprox 200.00 a set.

Neither of us has gotten wet at all in some serious long lasting downpours. No need to change here!

Raingear works best if you put it on before you get wet not after you get wet then put it on! (grin) No kidding, guys do this all the time, they think they'll tough out the weather & when it gets too bad they finally resort to putting it on, too late, you're now wet & trap the wetness in under your rain gear!

ElkNut1

14-Jun-16
these posts about some of the cheapest rain gear being good are pretty funny.

when it comes to rain gear cheap and good are mutually exclusive as far as I am concerned.

14-Jun-16

14-Jun-16
"these posts about some of the cheapest rain gear being good are pretty funny."

I'll tell you something funny. I was on an antelope hunt years back and a neighbor came over for dinner. He struggled a bit as his dentures were shifting, and he made a comment "dentures aren't a substitute for teeth, they are a substitute for no teeth."

I have a set of Kuiu rain gear which I believe is among the highest quality rain gear made, and when I realized I had "misplaced" my Space Rain jacket I bought another immediately. For what it is, it is excellent.

As Jaq hit on earlier, it doesn't matter how good your rain gear is if you are on the mountain getting rained on and it is sitting back at camp.

14-Jun-16

Matt's embedded Photo
Matt's embedded Photo
This picture may help explain why Space Rain is a great product. The comparison is against the light weight Kuiu product, which takes up 2x+ as much space in your pack.

15-Jun-16
If it works well it's not likely quiet. I've had my lightweight sitka rain gear in a few serious downpours and have been impressed. Very lightweight and goes in my pack from Hawaii to Alaska. Not exactly inexpensive but my set has been with me for about 8 years.

15-Jun-16
Thanks everybody, I piggybacked on this thread and got a lot from it. I've been considering Space Rain for my pack on elk hunts and have my answer. I will also be carrying higher quality more expensive rain gear next time I go north to a remote and potentially wet hunt.

15-Jun-16
Another plug for Space Rain here. In 2011 I packed a bull out 4 1/2 miles with a 2200' elevation change one way. It took me a few days and it rained/sleeted/snowed almost non-stop during the days I was packing. I wore the Space Rain almost the entire time and it performed very well even while wearing a heavy pack. I thought I would have some durability issues with the Space Rain and the heavy pack but it held up well.

I did put some tears in the pants from briars while deer hunting and I'll probably be buying some new ones this year.

15-Jun-16
Cheesehead, its on sale right now and 30% in club points if you've got the card.

15-Jun-16
Ive used the precip, space rain, many gore tex, sitka and kuiu. The Kuiu kills the gore tex stuff in many days of straight rain like on the Ak coastal hunts. The Space rain and Precip are great options for 1/2 day rain showers, IMO

15-Jun-16
Space rain! I can tell you that the nasty little burrs they have in Wisconsin are attracted to it like a magnet but it's cheap and it Works and holds up pretty danged well.

15-Jun-16
Jethro is it 30% in club points or 03% in club points with the card?

15-Jun-16
fwiw, the newer space rain gear is heavier and a little more durable than the original.

my older set is about 8oz lighter than the latest style. maybe due to full zipper.

if you are in a lot of rain, I think the precip keeps you dryer. the space rain gear does not shed water well around your wrists, ankles and your neck.

my first set of space rain gear lasted me 10 years of hunting in col. now it is patched up due to holes and tears but I would still wear it fishing.

16-Jun-16
Copied from website:

Cabela's Men's Space Rain™ Pants with 4MOST DRY-PLUS®

• CLUB Visa Exclusive - Earn an extra 30% in CLUB points. Must use your CLUB Visa to earn points.

16-Jun-16
Space Rain is now available in Cabela's new camo pattern, O2 Octane. It looks pretty good, seems similar to Sitka Elevated II pattern, but the pattern seems to have larger blocks of colors.

16-Jun-16
I've used the space rain for years and still in one piece.

16-Jun-16
Jethro,

I did use my Cabelas card. Thanks- I did not realize the reward was so great. Discount cost on rain gear and bonus reward points.

My lucky day !!!!

16-Jun-16
How important do you guys think the pants are? I usually just carry a jacket and it has sufficed thus far. I also have kenetrek gators which will leave pretty much just my thigh exposed.

16-Jun-16
Depends on the temp drop when you get wet. Most of the time they aren't necessary, especially when wearing water-repellent synthetic pants anyway. But I've been caught in hailstorms and cold rains when hunkering under a tree and wished I'd had them, especially hunting/hiking for a couple hours after my pants were saturated.

I carry mine always now because they don't weigh anything, but 90% of the time only the top goes on.

BTW, I treat my C4 hunting pants with Nikwax before the season and it really makes a difference with water repellency.

16-Jun-16
I kind of figured that.

whats your process w/ the nikwax?

16-Jun-16
I've got Sitka downpour pants (that are awesome - don't have the top) and I wore them almost every day caribou hunting as it rained on and off all the time. LOVE LOVE LOVE the full side zip as then we'd just open em up and you're breathing well when not raining.

There's really very few times when you can't take the extra 90 seconds to put rain pants on and stay comfy. But I'm one of those guys who just HATES getting wet. I'd endure a lot of other hell to escape getting a booter.

16-Jun-16
If the weather even looks like it will turn bad (snow or rain) I stash my C4 torrent gear in my pack. once it's there it usually stays until after the hunt. I've had this gear for over 3 years now with pretty extensive wear from CO to Northern Canada in inclement weather and it still performs well. An annual application of nikwax helps with the water shedding but I do not have any leaks. It also is the perfect top layer if the wind and/or temp drops and I don't have a heavier layer with. My $0.02 Kip

16-Jun-16
The C4 set cost about $175-200 on Camofire then.

16-Jun-16
I've done both the wash-in and spray-on Nikwax, and the spray-on works way better. The trick is to apply it right after washing, when it's still damp. Seems to do something to help bond to the fabric better than spraying on totally dry material.

16-Jun-16
Never used nikwax, but it looks like its in my future. The dampness probably acts as a carrier to allow the nikwax to penetrate the fibers (or around them) more effectively. Thanks for the tip!

16-Jun-16
John Kennedy said, "The time to repair a roof on is when the sun is shining." Today in Mississippi the sun was shinning and it was 94 degrees & 49% humidity.

At 5:30 PM the doorbell rang and it was the UPS delivery person.

I now own a Cabelas Space Rain Suit. It is super compact and only weighs 20 oz. total.

Will it keep me dry on an all-day frog choker,-probably not. I normally don't hunt in that type of inclimate weather.

Will it keep me dry if I get caught in a light rain, sudden shower or going to and from an enclosed stand- probably.

Thanks everyone for your input & experiences that helped me with my decision on some" light weight, not excessive in price" rain gear.

• Sitka Gear