Jaquomo 22-Jun-16
IdyllwildArcher 22-Jun-16
carcus 22-Jun-16
willliamtell 22-Jun-16
IdyllwildArcher 24-Jun-16
walks with a gimp 24-Jun-16
bb 25-Jun-16
13-Jun-16
I'm going to buy a Honda generator, but I'm wondering which one to get. I've looked at the 1000, 2000, and 3000.

Basically, the two purposes I need it for are to power a 29' 5th wheel and to power my mid-sized chest freezer in case of extended power outage.

It's going to receive limited use, so I'd rather not go too big.

13-Jun-16
My suggestion would be to buy the better model in what ever size you choose. The money spent brings more quietness. As far as size I have no idea what load (amps) your going to draw. The 3000 would be handy during storm outages but much heavier to transport. Your looking at aprox. 8, 16, 25 amps on those sizes at 120 volts.

13-Jun-16
Sorry for double post.

13-Jun-16
It's all about the amps. If you're hoping to use the air conditioner, you'll need the 3000. Otherwise, the 2000 will be plenty for 95% of your other needs.

13-Jun-16
I use the EU3000 watt Inverter. Can power the a/c and is safe to use to power computers. I can move it by myself if need be. It is quiet too.

13-Jun-16
I used the 2000 for my 29' 5th wheel. Worked just fine with the exception that it would not run the AC. I was good with that compromise to be able to move that weight generator around without needing help or wheels.

Andy

13-Jun-16
Also look at the elevation where you'll use it. They are jetted for seas level and mine was only getting about half the rated output at 9,000' I had it rejetted and it works great. Honda has a chart showing the output reduction at elevation, even with the high-altitude jet. You can do it yourself - pretty simple.

I have a 1000 and a 2000. Before rejetting, the 2000 wouldn't provide enough startup wattage for a camper microwave at 9000'. Afterward it works for the microwave at altitude if nothing else is drawing in the camper, but it's right on the hairy edge. For your needs (assuming you want to use the air conditioner) I'd recommend the 3,000.

Also don't forget to put fuel treatment in the gas to neutralize the alcohol in ethanol. The alcohol will dissolve the fuel line, as well as other important rubber/plastic parts. I learned that the hard way with one of mine early-on.

13-Jun-16
3000 all the way for that size trailer, maybe a 4000 if you run dual air or microwave, tv and air. Better too much generator than not enough. It might "run it" but it will wear it out fast... its all about the AMPS!

Scar.

13-Jun-16
Also running generator at max output will generally use more fuel that the next size up when its not working as hard. Jaquomo good tip on the elevation, would not have thought of that.

13-Jun-16
Well, I really have no plans on running the AC as I generally camp high enough to avoid the heat, but my house is at 5600 feet and most of my camping is 8Kish.

I'm going camping this week, but the camp ground is at 8500 feet and the forecast highs are around 73 degrees so I don't see that as AC weather - I generally avoid the desert except for the dead of winter.

13-Jun-16
I've had a 2000 for years. You can pack a 2000, not a 3000. The 2k will start my roof air but it's a 7500 btu unit. Runs the $99 Walmart microwave but you can tell its sucking the juice when there are multiple lights on.

13-Jun-16
Get the 3000,look at the Yamaha as it comes with wheels and remote start

13-Jun-16
Bob, just out of curiosity, do you know the startup wattage of your microwave? Mine would just light up, then shut off before I changed out the jet. But that was at a little over 9K.

According to Honda's specs, the 2000 output is right at 1,400 watts (70% efficiency) at 9K feet, even with the high-altitude jet. My camper microwave wants 1400 watts for startup power. so it's right on the edge.

13-Jun-16
The place I'm looking to buy the generator from has the jet for 4500-7500 and 7500-10k and the jet only costs $9. From looking at the directions, it looks like it's the kind of thing that's 15 minutes to do the first time and 10 minutes every time after that.

13-Jun-16
I have two EU2000 Hondas you can use just one or you can hook them together for AC or what ever pulls more amps. I have owned them since 2012 and never have had a problem at all plus they are light weight so you can pick them up and put them where ever you want them. Thought about buying a big Honda gen before I bought these but I would buy these two again !

13-Jun-16
There's a web link for the PDF of all the information about Honda generators and altitude.

I don't know how to imbed a PDF so you'll have to Google it. But some really meaningful information in there.

13-Jun-16
Bigger is always better, you'll have many more instances where you will say to yourself, I need more power than instances where you say, I don't need so much power. If it's a carburated motor, run it with VP racing fuel or similar that doesn't have ethanol. It's expensive but so is rebuilding your fuel system

13-Jun-16
Go bigger than you think you'll need to get by. Your fuel savings and, the extra you'll find to use it for will make you look like a genius many times over. Ike, I've seen you. Genius isn't what come to my mind. So, It'll be a good buy if you go bigger.

Now that's funny. I don't care who you are. :^)

Seriously, it sounds like the 2000 will work for your needs. Honda's are 'da bomb. As expensive as they come but, you definitely get what you pay for. Good luck and God Bless

13-Jun-16
Without a doubt buy two 2000's, one main and one slave with a parallel connector kit. Take one when you don't need to run your AC and two otherwise. Two 2000's with the connector kit will cost little more than one 3000 and give you more power.

One 2000 weighs 46#, one 3000 weighs 130#. 10 years ago I could load my 3000 without issue, now my back hurts for a day so I get help now. If I did it over again I'd buy the two 2000's without hesitation. In fact if I didn't plan to get a motorhome soon I'd sell my 3000 and buy the 2000's.

The only downside is the 2000 has a small fuel tank.

13-Jun-16
Lou, i will check.

13-Jun-16
Tilzbow and jdee have it figured out. Two 2000's will put out more than a single 3000 unit and are a whole lot easier to load up and move around. 90% of the time a single 2000 will be all that you need anyway.

14-Jun-16
Running a freezer (only) in elk camp during moderately warm weather, my Honda EU2000i would run 16 hours on a tank of gas. I'd fill it up around noon and start it up. At 4:00 AM it would sputter to a stop, out of gas and wake us up, just in time to have breakfast and head out elk hunting. I had a 2' x 3' sheet of plywood shielding the unit and deflecting the noise away from camp, as well as using a 100' extension cord. It never bothered us, as a slight breeze drown out the sound.

Mine is a 2006 unit with a fair amount of use, and it always starts. I have the high altitude jet from when i was living in CO as well as the stock jet. It is easy to change jets out and easy to change oil, etc. No issues with mine. I do run a bit of Sea Foam through it on occasion and that seems to keep the carb cleaned up.

Good luck with your purchase!

14-Jun-16
Expense vs convenience----- as in can ya get 2--2000's for similar out of pocket co$t?

I too agree with the more is better and my Honda's have lasted for years.

You can use them for more than just camping too.

Toss in how quiet they have been-----very nice.

Good luck, Robb

14-Jun-16
The Yamaha’s are as good as the Honda's IMHO. I have both. The 2 generators linked together is a great idea and very easy to move around! I bought mine super cheap off Craigslist, then had them fully serviced. They will last forever if you take care of them. You can also run 101 low lead fuel if you can get it. it's small air plane fuel. you can get it at local airports. You will never have to rebuild the carb, EVER! I run it in all my lawn equipment including two stroke.

Scar

14-Jun-16
I have run my camp in Wisconsin for the last 12 years with a 2000 Honda.If I needed more amps I would get another 2000 linked.

14-Jun-16

Coolcop's embedded Photo
Coolcop's embedded Photo
I bought the 2000 for it's quietness and because its a Honda. Does not run the AC in the RV. So far I've used it for the block heater, drill, and TV lights fridge in the RV. Love it. It's quiet and easy to load into the back of a pickup. Cant even hear it when it running outside the RV.

14-Jun-16
Ive lived on generaters for years. 3000 is the min to run basically any one big item at a time and a few smalls at a time. there are many generators good as Honda now for a lot less however there is still a lot of b grade stuff that says 3000 that wont run what a Honda 2000 will run. long story short you will regreat a 2000 every ones in a while but you will never regret a 3000.

14-Jun-16
I see in the Coolcop photo that his Honda is on a hill. FYI to provide proper lubrication for those units they should be kept level at all times when running!

14-Jun-16
Another shout out for the Honda 2000. I hook two of them together in parallel. Honda sells and adaptor kit for that purpose. They only hold one gallon each. I cannot remember the name of it but there was a guy in California selling a six gallon tank that was compatible with my Hondas in parallel. I had more than enough gas and power for my 5th wheel trailer for several days, EXCEPT when my wife plugged in a hair dryer or we plugged in an electric coffee pot. Those two objects are the largest amp eaters around in my opinion.

14-Jun-16
Just a suggestion, if you can, maybe rent one for a day before buying and put it through the loads you would expect to use on your trailer. I can rent one near me for about $50/day or $75 for 3 day.

14-Jun-16
get two 2000 for portability and other uses

14-Jun-16
forgot to add, yes two honda 2000 and get the cord to connect them.

14-Jun-16
I also have two EU 2000 inverters with the connecting cord. No problems in 6 years of use.

14-Jun-16
Just a suggestion for anyone who says the gas tank doesn't hold enough gas for them. I have the EU2000 and my self and many friends have the same unit that we all use for our fish houses and hunting cabins. Also use at elk camp. We all have purchased the gas cap adapter that you can attached to a 6 gallon boat gas tank. I can run my fish house and my hunting cabin for 4 to five days without having to put any gas in. We all say its One of the best items we have ever bought.

17-Jun-16
I use two of the Honda 2000 watt generators for my 5th wheel camper. Hooked in parallel they will run my A/C and microwave for a minute or two, never needed to run the microwave longer than that but it worked fine. I chose them over the 3000 for portability and to use less gas by only running one for small chores like charging the battery or just the microwave. I can put them both in my truck tool box and lock it for theft protection and to keep them out of the weather when not in use. It's much easier to get them out of the tool box as compared to lifting a 3000 in and out of the truck bed. They are very quiet running but I think the 3000 may be a little quieter when running the A/C than a pair of 2000's, friends that I camp with have the 3000's so I have made the direct comparison.

I'll take portability and economy over a few decibles any day.

17-Jun-16
I do the same as walks with a gimp. I chose to purchase two 2000 watt generators and piggy-back them together when I need them. Most of the time I only run one, which will run my small cabin without a hitch, (I do not have an AC, but do use the microwave often with one generator). I decided to go the route of the 2 smaller generators so I can take them in and out of my cabin by myself. In my opinion, they are very quiet and reliable.

19-Jun-16
Without a doubt buy two 2000's, one main and one slave with a parallel connector kit. Take one when you don't need to run your AC and two otherwise. Two 2000's with the connector kit will cost little more than one 3000 and give you more power.

One 2000 weighs 46#, one 3000 weighs 130#. 10 years ago I could load my 3000 without issue, now my back hurts for a day so I get help now. If I did it over again I'd buy the two 2000's without hesitation. In fact if I didn't plan to get a motorhome soon I'd sell my 3000 and buy the 2000's.

The only downside is the 2000 has a small fuel tank.

21-Jun-16
Topgun, Thanks for your observations. I will keep that in mind from now on. Sometimes in Colorado its hard to find a level area.

For you guys using them to power your fish houses. Do you run them close to your fish house? I spear pike out of a dark house. I would think an electric heater with a generator would be a pretty safe way to heat the house. Just curious.

21-Jun-16
I use a Buddy heater when ice fishing. Mine work off refillable 1 lb bottles but friends use a 20 lb tank that lasts for days. For a bigger house one of the Big Buddy heaters with double heating elements should roast you.

Where I fish, they are sensitive to noise and vibration on the ice. I've watched them spook from a snowmobile rumbling past a ways away (cost me top prize in a tourney once). So I'd be leery of the generator vibe if it was sitting directly on the ice.

22-Jun-16
So, my brother has a 2000 (had two, one was stolen) with the connector wiring and so I got a 2000.

This past week, it could run the coffee pot, microwave, fridge, and lights in the 5th wheel simultaneously (used them all, not sure they were all running at the same time) and I only had to run it about 30-60 minutes twice daily to keep the fridge cold all day.

I never needed the AC as I was at 8600 feet, but in August I might on my deer hunt, but I'll have both 2000s for that.

Very happy with it. Easy to use/move. I switched the carb jet out in like 5 minutes. It was really easy.

My question now is, what gas additive should I use? I just grabbed regular STP gas additive at the gas station.

22-Jun-16
I like the Chevron fuel additive.

Good luck, Robb

22-Jun-16
The additives are good if you will be using the equipment fairly regularly. If it doesn't get used often the better choice would be a non ethanol fuel. Some states you can buy it at the gas pump others sell it in stores that sell lawnmowers and saws. VP is one that I use, it's 94 octane, and no ethanol, it can sit for two years without an additive. It's expensive but well worth it. I buy it by the 5 gal cans.

22-Jun-16
Run some Sea Foam in the gas that is used sporadically. Keeps mine running well.

22-Jun-16
+1 what bb said. Try and find ethanol free gas ! There seems to be hundreds of additives but I don't know of any that truly work.

22-Jun-16
All I have are the Honda generators. Use them to run the outposts. Great generators, had a 5000 since 2002 and still going strong!!

22-Jun-16
I disagree with the "bigger is better". I have a 29' fifth wheel, and wanted something in case I want to run the air conditioner. The 3000 is too big and too heavy for me to handle, as ii'm not a young guy anymore. So I bought 2 of the 2000 units and a pair of parallel cables. In the winter, 1 unit runs everything fine. I bought the companion model first, and I would recommend that.

22-Jun-16
A small engine mechanic I trust recommended StarTron enzyme treatment. Since I started using that a few years ago I've been very happy. Some of my older small engines used to struggle at altitude but not anymore.

22-Jun-16
Non-ethanol fuel is a good idea. That's what I run in my chainsaw, but it comes pre-mixed for a 2 stroke engine. I've not seen it sold in 5 gallon drums for a 4 stroke engine here in the U.S.S.R.

BTW, thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it.

22-Jun-16
As hunters we usually have a freezer or two full of meat and fish, everyone should own a generator, even a cheap one is fine for short term emergencies! Got home from the lake on Sunday evening to find we had a big hail storm and no power so got the honda going and we had lights, tv, fridge and freezers

22-Jun-16
Ok, so now I'm waiting on an alert on a really good sale on a 2000 (I know, it only hurts once, and my back aches every time I have to goat wrestle my Brigs).

24-Jun-16
williamtell,

maxtool.com

$950 and free shipping. That's the cheapest you'll find it new. They also stock the carburetor jets for 4500-7500 feet and 7500+ feet elevation.

24-Jun-16
You won't find "sales" on those little Hondas, I watched for a long time. They just get what they want for them and don't discount them much if at all.

25-Jun-16
If when making a purchase you have the option of carburated or fuel injected engine, pay the extra for a fuel injected model, it is way more forgiving of ethanol in the fuel. The ethanol draws moisture out of the air, that is what causes the problems in the fuel systems. With the carburator, the fuel is exposed to the air, The fuel injected system is not exposed to the air or as exposed.

• Sitka Gear