Shawn 26-Jun-16
gobbler 26-Jun-16
B N A A guy 26-Jun-16
Scrappy 27-Jun-16
Active Shooter 27-Jun-16
gobbler 27-Jun-16
wvbowbender 01-Jul-16
24-Jun-16
You guys are always full of great advice when it comes to destinations. So, after about eight or nine years, I cashed in my Iowa points for an Iowa deer tag in zone 4. The last time I was there, I hunted public ground, and saw some nice bucks - just couldn't get close enough to the biggest bucks, and definitely wasn't familiar enough with the property to know in just a few days, how to set up effectively - meaning that after several years of hunting the same property, we all learn which particular spots produce more readily than others. On a side note, as an example, on a property at home, that we have hunted for over 20 years, there is one particular spot that the deer rarely smell you, and activity is almost a sure thing, whereas other areas, that have plenty of sign, rarely produce so much as a glimpse of a deer, much less an undisturbed buck. Whereas, a guide or outfitter, who owns, or has leased a property for numerous years, will know of these very predictable and heavily used spots.

I have thought of, and still may, go the public DIY route, BUT, with time being a major factor, I thought I may try an outfitter, guide, or whatever you wish to call someone. I would even be interested in a semi-guided, or rather a scouted, trespass, type hunt. Basic help would suffice, but help in some way, to weed out those areas that look perfect, but are far from it.

I have also considered the fact that I may not be back to Iowa, for at least three or four years, and I have NEVER, been on a high end, quality, hunt for whitetail. And I thought that I may just give a quality hunt in Iowa a try.

If there is such a thing, I would like to find a hunt where 130 to 140 inch bucks are seen daily, and the occasional 150 or larger is seen - this may seem, or even be, unrealistic, but it is Iowa. I realize that hunting is hunting and nothing is guaranteed on any ground, but I also believe that at the right time of year, on the right piece of property, with the right weather, etc. that a GREAT hunt can be had.

But I definitely do not want to waste a large amount of money for what can be had on public ground. Which actually leads to a secondary question.

So you guys tell me, do you have suggestions for a high quality hunt, or have most guided hunts in Iowa became so commercialized that I could have a very similar hunt on public ground should I take 7 to 10 days to scout, and hunt.

Thanks for any advice.

25-Jun-16
PM sent.

25-Jun-16
DIY, with todays google earth you can pick stand sites from your living room. It is not hard to find sign and get a feel for what deer are doing ecsp. in the mid-west. If you only have say 5 days to hunt then yes an outfitter may be the way to go. If you have 10 days or more then you can spend 3 days scouting and learning a property and then hunt it. Shawn

26-Jun-16
Larry,my suggestion is to make a scouting trip over ASAP too aid your decisions.Iowa is a special tag and you really need have as much information about your target spots (matters not if it's DIY or guided)

Moisture can vary in every county,crop rotations and other factors aka EHD all need triage through boots on the ground and local chatter WAY before you start to pick a tree.

Know the areas of your prospective outfitters (most will gladly give you a tour) and discuss add on days and ways to extend your hunt.Trying to kill a deer in five days after you waited 3 years for a tag doesn't compute.

Even the option of Guided + DIY is in play

26-Jun-16
Thanks for the advice guys. It has actually been about 8 or 9 years since I hunted Iowa. I then built back 4 points, and have been waiting the last 4 or 5 years. Other things have been getting in the way, and I probably should have waited, but at the last minute, after drawing basically nothing else, I applied. The last time I hunted, I was hunting in Wisconsin and basically short changed that hunt. I shot a 120 inch buck around the second or third day, because I simply wanted to get a buck. But this time, I plan to take at least 7, maybe 10 days, and give it more of a chance.

But I did consider a guided hunt, simply because I have never been on a GREAT deer hunt. I would definitely consider the right guided hunt, but I am thinking that I would rather hunt on my own and save my money for Africa, or most any hunt, that I HAVE to have a guide.

A lot is up in the air right now, but like has been said, it is too good of a tag to just half heartedly utiize it.

26-Jun-16
If you are doing it yourself then I would say a minimum of 10 days. I have hunted Illinois,Ohio,Indiana and Kansas the last few years. All DIY and although I killed bucks in all of them I too "settled" for a couple bucks as I only had a week to hunt two of those states, in the other two where I had at least 20 days to hunt I killed really good bucks, one on day 14 and one on day 17. Shawn

26-Jun-16
BNAA, I didn't see Iowa hunt son your supporting link?

26-Jun-16
We are working on a website update. I would be happy to email to anyone and seriously discuss the opportunity. Website should hopefully be updated soon.

Best regards, Scott Alberda

27-Jun-16
Don't try to hunt in Ringgold County. Tried it several times and I now know why that county has the reputation of being the number one county for poaching.

27-Jun-16
Results are posted

27-Jun-16
Ok, thanks. I'll wait. I'm not looking this year but do have 3 points again and may be looking next year.

01-Jul-16
Had a great hunt with IMB Monster Bucks last year, lodging was average, hunting was good! Bob

• Sitka Gear