Dennis Razza 25-Jun-16
Dennis Razza 25-Jun-16
Coyote 65 25-Jun-16
Sam I Am 27-Jun-16
TD 28-Jun-16
Sam I Am 13-Jul-16
GhostBird 13-Jul-16
25-Jun-16
Moving across country and am starting to load my PODS unit. Looking for suggestions on how to best pack my 1/2 bear mount so he makes it

25-Jun-16
In a crate

25-Jun-16
Screw through the crate,in to the back board.You should need no other packing.Make sure there is a little room between the crate and any part of the bear so when jostled,it can't rub the mount.You can cover the mount with plastic if you want,to keep of dust.

1/2" wafer board and a 2x2 frame,will work.

25-Jun-16
You might also pack a modest amount of weight on top of the crate so it can't get airborne on a bad bump. But I would ask your taxidermist about bolting to a side of the crate, as opposed to the bottom..... He'd probably be able to tell you which way would be more tolerant of the load forces.... Something like a shoulder mount on a deer, my thought would be to bolt onto the bottom of the crate and put something behind the rack, but maybe the internal structure is much stronger if you keep it upright.

25-Jun-16
I had one shipped to me in a well stuffed cardboard box from a taxidermist in California to me in Mississippi without any issues. He did a great job of protecting the mount with an abundance of stuffing.

25-Jun-16

Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Not a bear but will give you an idea. Good luck!

25-Jun-16

25-Jun-16

Coyote 65's Link
Trophy Transport is a company that does nothing but taxidermy transport. They have a video on their website that shows how they do it.

Terry

27-Jun-16
Thanks for all the info - much appreciated

28-Jun-16
The pack n ship places have cardboard boxes homeless folks make condos out of....real tough thick walled solid boxes in various sizes. I use shredded paper for a good deal of my packing. I'd wrap him up good with bubble wrap and fill up the space with poly peanuts, shredded paper or some such.

Dennis has a pretty good crate system going and I'd bet he knocks those out pretty fast. But unless you are all tooled up for it.... you're likely looking at an all day job. An hour or three even if you are.

13-Jul-16
Well - My shipping POD arrived 2 days ago and I am happy to say all my mounts made the trip safely including my bear. Built a false wall and attached most mounts directly to it very similar to the video in the link above. Crated a few things and secured to the floor. Used the front 4' of the POD for this and it was basically a small room of its own - 4 shoulder deer mounts, a speed goat, the bear, and several birds all arrived in SC with no issues. Thanks for all the help.

13-Jul-16
Glad everything made it OK. You got em hung up yet?

• Sitka Gear