Medicinemann 26-Jun-16
Drop tine 26-Jun-16
Bou'bound 26-Jun-16
Medicinemann 26-Jun-16
Zbone 26-Jun-16
wifishkiller 26-Jun-16
KY EyeBow 27-Jun-16
25-Jun-16
I just booked a gator hunt for August in Florida. It will be a night hunt and I have the option of using my compound for the initial shot or the guides crossbow.

The guide said he has some equipment that can be put on my bow but I am not sure how it works with the peep and sight? This would be a short shot (10 yards usually) with a heavy bowfishing arrow and then a final shot with a bangstick.

Not sure if it is worth taking my bow all that way or not (flying from Alberta).

Any experiences and advice would be appreciated.

25-Jun-16
If you have a long draw length and shoot higher poundage then take your bow.You need the two to get the energy for up to maybe 8 to 10yd shot.Your rest needs to be open so the gear don't get tangled.If he is using sliding line attachment it really won't matter.I would bring the bow its just a matter of being more patient to get closer. Your sight will be useless but we mostly sight right down the arrow.A few practice shots and you'll get the hang of it. Just remember you are aiming at what you can't see if gator is in the water.Which is most of the time. Good luck

26-Jun-16

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Yes bring your bow! Set it up and learn to look down your arrow. You will attach a reel onto the riser and a float system where your stabizer screws in. It's not too difficult, remember if shooting to the water, AIM LOW!!!!

26-Jun-16
Jeepers Tim, how long was that gator?

26-Jun-16
Thanks for the info guys. I definitely do not have a long DL (26.5) or a high poundage (61 or 67 # depending on the bow) and was worried about the stiff spine of the arrow.

That is a great picture and a giant dinosaur. It was actually that thread of your hunt Tim that initially got me interested in doing a gator hunt.

I have a drop away rest on my bow now, will that work?

26-Jun-16
will someone bring that thread to the top with Tim's hunt on it

26-Jun-16
Doubleforky just did....

26-Jun-16
Anybody gonna show their gator rigs?

26-Jun-16
You'll be fine, they are not that hard to get an arrow in. I shot 60lbs, ams slotted retriever with standard white fish arrows with a removable tip. No sights and looked down the arrow.

If I do it again I'd get a XL bottle for longer shots. Depending on where your at shots aren't always like on TV by the side of the boat. We were shooting 20 ish yards on my trip

27-Jun-16
You are in for a treat! I did a gator hunt with a couple of friends in FL back in 2012 and it was a blast. I used a Hoyt XTec that was pulling around 60 lbs. I used an AMS Big Game Retriever Pro with 400# line. We also used a Muzzy bowfishing head and their bowfishing arrow as well( it was a blue camo version with a fiberglass core and aluminum exterior--heavy ). I used my existing spot hogg sight on my bow and just for reference and it worked well. I was also shooting a whisker bisquit, FWIW. I did not have any problems with penetration as you really just need the barb to penetrate under their skin, then the fun begins!!! We did the hunt out of a canoe and kyak the first night, then an airboat the second night. Great redneck hunting adventure. Enjoy

• Sitka Gear