onX Maps
Ist time fletching tips & advice
Equipment
Contributors to this thread:
DartonJager 26-Jun-16
DartonJager 26-Jun-16
26-Jun-16
I am going to give fletching my own arrows a try and are going with the following jig, arrows and components.

Arizona EZ-Fletch for carbon arrows 6* right helical

Cabela's Carbon Extreme 55/70 arrows

Flex Fletch 4" vanes

AAE fast set gel vane adhesive, I chose this vane adhesive after much on line research because it doesn't bond until pressure is applied, and it had overwhelming favorable reviews.

Plan on using some of my ruined carbon arrows I saved just for such a purpose as my test arrows to learn on before I commit to my new arrows. Plan on using acetone to clean arrow shafts.

Looking for those who use the AZ fletching jig to offer any advice, especially do's and don'ts as well as if you use a solvent to prep your fletchings, which one do you suggest that won't chemically attack the fletching.

Also any tips or advice that will help me to avoid problems will be much appreciated. I will be in no hurry and plan on only fletching a 2-3 arrows at a time and allow them to dry/cure for at least 72 hours prior to use.

I am also open to suggestion for other components that are in peoples experience superior to the ones I have chosen such as my vane adhesive.

Thank you for your help, Arthur.

26-Jun-16
One question I forgot to include concerning fletching arrows:

Why does cock feather location/direction matter in fletching a arrow? I ask because unless I am missing something can't I simply rotate my arrows knock to locate my cock feather to any orientation I need or require? In the case of my High Country X-10's roller guard I need to oriented my cock feather to the left of my riser cut out so the feathers clear my cables at release.

Am I missing something?

• Sitka Gear