General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
bowriter 26-Jun-16
26-Jun-16
I just emailed number 2132 in. That is the number of continuos, weekly outdoor columns I have written for my local Newspaper.

During that 41-year period, the newspaper has undergone three ownership changes and two name changes. I'm still there. That is a lot of weekly material, won lots of awards. I have been fortunate.

Since I am an outdoor WRITER, not an outdoor reporter, I can write about whatever I wish, whenever I wish. The column I just sent in, covered the finals of the light rifle competition at the National Junior High School Rodeo Finals, 6-7-8 graders. What shooting .22 rifles at targets has to do with rodeo, I have no idea. But I have never met a nicer bunch of kids. Boy from Texas, Jake Kahala won it. I also turned in three other rodeo columns, two on the front page, covering the rodeo. I guess my 30 years in pro rodeo helped me get the stories.

My age is starting to catch up with me but I expect, as long as I can still use my fingers and my brain works a little, I'll keep scribbling. I turn 72 on Thursday and have lived a life that has been rough on my body. I'm paying for it now but once the July 4 crowd is off the water. I intend to work on the bass and trout a little more.

Wonder how many words are in those columns and how many magazine articles I have written? Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story. The outdoor writers creed. :)

• Sitka Gear