Purdue 27-Jul-16
Screwball 27-Jul-16
Arrowflinger 28-Jul-16
snareman 28-Jul-16
PECO 28-Jul-16
cjgregory 28-Jul-16
Shoots-Straight 28-Jul-16
21-Jul-16
Just got an email about this....the first I'd heard of it. The anti's have managed to get enough signatures to get a public land trapping ban on the fall ballot for Montana.

If this passes, effective control of wolves & coyotes will be much more difficult.

http://www.sportsmensalliance.org/news/montana-voters-to-decide-on-trapping-ban/

21-Jul-16
I hope it does not pass...Unfortunately, it eventually will.

21-Jul-16
I hope it does not pass. We have been in that situation (similar bill passed in the mid 90's) in MA, and its, lets say, frustrating. Hope MT makes it through without that passing.

21-Jul-16
Jesus. Its Montana. How is that even possible? Even Montana is getting over run with idiots.

Depressing to think about. Sadly those folks cannot be reasoned with or educated.

21-Jul-16
Sadly, "those folks" who voted to ban trapping and bear hunting here in CO included many hunters...

21-Jul-16
Lou, that is an incredibly disappointing thing to hear. They're chipping away at it. If they get trapping they will be after something else next.

Any outdoorsman who votes in favor of such a ridiculous initiative is a fool.

21-Jul-16
I never did like leg-hold traps. No different than intentionally wounding an animal. Traps that kill quickly, no problem.

21-Jul-16
"And when they came for me, there was no one left to speak up..."

When bowhunting gets on the ballot somewhere, you can bet some rifle hunters will vote to ban it. I've been in plenty of public meetings with the DOW where rifle hunters railed against bowhunting, blaming it for their own lack of success.

21-Jul-16
They are foot hold traps, and they don't harm the animal whatsoever, they just hold them until the trapper releases or dispatches it. Probably more humane than being shot with even a well placed arrow, but NONE of us should be putting down any form of wildlife harvest. We need to be a unified voice.

21-Jul-16
This is not the first time we defeated it a few years ago and we will do it again.

21-Jul-16
Sure hope you. We lost trapping in AZ years ago. Trying to unite sportsmen into a unified group is like herding kittens. We can be our own worst enemy sometimes.

21-Jul-16
We live in a crazy world... I live sheltered from most of that stuff for now... but when my time comes to die, it will most likely be time.

21-Jul-16
Purdue, you have no idea what you are talking about, and I guess Lou was right.

Lots of critters hit poorly with arrows and not recovered. Might as well throw archery gear on the ballot as well.

Guns too. Then farming, after all, those horrible people are only raising those critters so they can kill them later.

Fishing? Yanking those poor things out of their homes with barbaric hooks attached to fake food.

Might as well ban that too.

Purdue, if you haven't figured it out yet, I think you're an idiot.

21-Jul-16
Yeah, well, Purdue, these initiatives also ban "humane" body grip traps. Not just foot hold traps. When the HSUS puts bowhunting on the ballot and shows gut shot animals suffering on the non-stop TV ads, you'll vote for that too, right?

And we wonder why hunters vote to ban trapping, bear hunting, lion hunting. Ignorance.

"And when they came for me...."

21-Jul-16
"I never did like leg-hold traps. No different than intentionally wounding an animal. Traps that kill quickly, no problem."

Educate yourself. Modern day footholds with offset jaws and laminated jaws have made footholds extreamly humane.

21-Jul-16
This is BS.

21-Jul-16
"I never did like leg-hold traps. No different than intentionally wounding an animal."

What a totally ignorant, moronic statement.

21-Jul-16
Yikes, purdue. SMH

21-Jul-16
"I never did like leg-hold traps. No different than intentionally wounding an animal."

Whoa.... do you live in the city limits and buy your meat in a styofoam tray wrapped with cellophane too?

21-Jul-16
All those in favor of voting Purdue the dumbest guy on Bowsite, say "I".

I!!!!!!!

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. My dad used to stick his fingers in his 6 inch traps, to educate people that they weren't harmful. They were designed to hold, not lame. After they'd watch him do it, they understood and believed the concept that had the traps broken bones, the animal would just twist it off and get free. Instead of hold it until he dispatched it. It is because of the misinformed AMONG us hunters, that the anti's win these topics.

21-Jul-16
I'm a newbie trapper.........Use foothold traps, conibears and dog proof coon traps.......and snares............

And wish power snares were legal in Michigan..........Those things are bad ass........

Foot holds inhumane...haaaaaaaaaaa Bull Spit............ You ever see a chicken go from a live bird to ready for market ??

22-Jul-16
Montana is very split between common sense and liberalism. Like other states, liberalism is not a product of the farm and ranch, but of cities such as Bozeman and others.

22-Jul-16
I've only been trapping for about five years and have a lot to learn. But I learned very early that foothold traps are great because you can release what you choose to release and dispatch what you choose to dispatch. Trapping is absolutely the most efficient way to control the coyote population.

22-Jul-16
"You ever see a chicken go from a live bird to ready for market ??"

Strikes me as funny asking Purdue about chickens! I know it's spelled different but still it's funny. Obviously, he has no real world experience with foothold traps. It shows just how powerful the false propaganda is coming from the other side of the issue.

22-Jul-16
Purdue, you know not what of you speak and if indeed you call yourself a hunter, I suggest that you become educated quickly about trapping or keep your trap shut. No pun intended. And as a trapper with nearly 50 years experience, I think that I am qualified to say this. ;-)

22-Jul-16

Purdue's embedded Photo
Purdue's embedded Photo
The problem with padded traps is that nearly no one uses them. I can't find them in the local stores.

Trapping is indiscriminate. They can catch dogs, birds of prey, and untargeted animals.

Traps are not fair chase.

Traps are painful and tramatic.

Put your dog in one and leave it out overnight. Or would that be cruel?

No thanks.

22-Jul-16
Purdue: did you take that photo?

22-Jul-16
That sure looks like one of PETA's fake photos used in their propaganda ads. They've been caught concocting those things over and over.

Shoot your dog with an arrow, make a bad shot, leave it out overnight. Or maybe your son or daughter. Is that cruel? Ever happen to you with a deer? Remember Ingrid Newkirk's famous line, "A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy". Sad to see someone who appears to be intelligent so affected by the emotional arguments made by PETA and HSUS.

22-Jul-16
Purdue, would you be ok with the humane body-grip traps like Conibears that are also being outlawed?

This is the problem with these types of initiatives. When they go for bowhunting, they won't just outlaw trad bows. They'll go after yours as well.

22-Jul-16
Try and release your dog from a 330 conibear .It won't move very fast because it will be dead .But from a foot hold it will be grateful and alive I know I have released 1 dog from a leg hold and it was fine.I have trapped every year since 1974 and traps have there place in todays world. Just follow the law and you won't catch very many dogs.

22-Jul-16
I've released several dogs from modern footholds with not damage to them whatsoever.

I've even released some little house cats from traps as big as #3 footholds with no damage to their little legs or paws at all.

The dogs at least were grateful to be released. . . Cats are hateful little things. . .

22-Jul-16
I've caught lots of coyotes in foothold traps. I've never seen one bleed like that. I've only caught one dog, so not a lot of experience but I let him go and he was fine. He spent the night in that trap and walked away, no blood.

Also, if you are with your dog, he isn't spending the night. Just long enough for you to let him go.

Where did you get that photo Purdue? I think its fake.

Also, in a lifetime of trapping, never caught a bird of prey.

The next time someone has a pet crawl home with an arrow or bullet in it, I think you should turn all your weapons in. After all, someone somewhere did something stupid with one. That means no one should be allowed to have one.

Typing this was a waste of time. See second paragraph of my first post in this thread.

22-Jul-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo

midwest's Link
I found your dog, Purdue!

22-Jul-16
I

22-Jul-16
The only bird of prey I've ever caught was in a beaver LIVE TRAP, since the ban on body grip traps was implemented in CO. Caught a Great Blue Heron, and he discovered that it wasn't a "heron live trap".

22-Jul-16
Thanks midwest. Now we can all see that Purdue is gullible. He fell for the propaganda from the anti-trapping/hunting/fishing crowd.

22-Jul-16
If you are going to the websites of WildEarth Guardians, HSUS or Center of Biological Diversity for your "facts", you might be on the wrong side of an issue.

22-Jul-16
Boys there is no point in arguing. You know what they say about arguing with an Id---. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. He is obviously an interloper.

22-Jul-16
The point is, traps can do the same to any animal they catch, not just pet dogs. Some will just sit and wait without a struggle, others will chew their leg off to escape.

I my book there is big difference between accidentally injuring an animal and doing it intentionally for fun and profit. I guess people can justify or rationalize anything.

22-Jul-16
Hey Purdue: I think you are a HACK! I think you are on the wrong website. Disneyland and PETA need more people like you. Perhaps that is your calling.

22-Jul-16
Purdue ....bullshit.

You're a troll.

22-Jul-16
As someone who has trapped for forty years, I've never caught a dog. Those dogs I've heard of being caught were released without harm.

Like all activities, there are few fools who have no business trapping and do some pretty stupid things. The same exists in the hunting community. Imagine if we as hunters applied this same logic to low-life poachers and considered them hunters?

Not that any of that will change minds of folks like Purdue. The real target for our efforts are those who have not made up their minds, or those non-hunter/angler/trappers inclined to support conservation activities who are being targeted by these groups as impressionable voters.

The lesson from Purdue's comment is how quick some are to make claims against activities of which they have no understanding and no personal experience. Even those who claim to come from hunting backgrounds. As the use of ballot boxes increases as the mechanism by which wildlife management is implemented, the dangers to all we hold dear are obvious. Folks in CA, CO, AZ, etc can speak to that with painful first hand experience.

I wish Purdue was the only guy in the hunting ranks who has made such a statement about trapping. He is not. In my home state of Montana, I have had more adverse discussions about this topic with other hunters than I care to recall. Yup, other hunters, and none of whom have/had any personal experience with trapping. And certain groups of fishermen seem to hold Purdue's opinion to a level that I would guess is approaching a majority among them.

Point being, those of us who support hunting, fishing, and trapping, have a big job ahead in educating our own ranks as to the relevance of our activities. The ballot box approach will continue to be the tool that is used.

I am taking heed to what happened in Colorado. Anyone who thinks this can't pass in Montana has not been out talking to people on the topic. Some hunters and anglers have expressed opinions similar to that expressed by Purdue, and that is worrisome; not just for trapping, but the future of all wildlife conservation.

22-Jul-16
I lost all my layers (3) about a week ago. So no eggs. Yotes broke into the roost and thrashed them pretty good. All that was left was part of a leg and feathers.

The pups are starting to get big enough to do some real damage. I hear them every night outside my window. Would love to trap them like my brother and I did when we were growing up.

So I will be hunting them with my suppressed AR this weekend. I did get permission from game and fish so I have a go to night hunt if they are off my land.

22-Jul-16
"When bowhunting gets on the ballot somewhere, you can bet some rifle hunters will vote to ban it."

Lou, you knocked this one out of the park. Our state recently sent out a survey to deer hunters a year or two ago asking for opinions and comments on changing the licensing, draws, and deer season structures here in SD. I've never been so saddened and infuriated in my entire life as I was when I read the comments at the end. Ignorance of bowhunting is staggeringly common in some circles.

The web page is down right now or I would link it for you guys. Maybe I'll come back later and do it so you can see what we're up against with out gun toting "brothers".

22-Jul-16
Thought Purdue was PETA, but turns out he's actually posted on here quite a bit about a bunch of on target threads. Guess he's just confused. That's really too bad.

22-Jul-16
How many years experience do you have trapping Purdue ? Surely your not making your stupid comments without knowing what you are talking about. What else do you and your buddies talk about in your Isis meetings?

22-Jul-16
I'm really glad I opened this thread and read through it.

After reading the (first) ignorant comment from Purdue, I was getting ready to ... uh lets say correct him. Obviously many folk already did.

Tomorrow I am teaching the second half of a Hunter Safety class and Trapping in a short segment (0 test questions on it). I will spend a few more minutes on it now just to make sure that NO ONE WALKS AWAY WITH THE SAME OPINION AS PURDUE! I usually stick my fingers in a 1.5 or 2 leg-hold just to show the students that they are a leg HOLD trap and do no damage. The old "chew there leg off" is about as accurate as Purdue's picture he posted. Interesting how even when he is shown that it came from an ARA website, he doubles down and doesn't admit he's wrong.

You can't fix stupid I guess, but I can sure as hell make sure that others get the facts from someone who KNOWS them.

Purdue, step up, admit you made a mistake, and educate yourself. That's what a squared away guy would do.

22-Jul-16

Shoots-Straight's embedded Photo
Shoots-Straight's embedded Photo
Like Randy, I too have trapped for many years. In that time I have never had to release a dog, or cat. Legally set traps rarely if ever catch pets. In Montana the yearly catch on dogs is so low the anti's use a 15 year time frame to promote their agenda. People listen to this garbage.

I would ask Purdue one question. How do you suppose Montana will manage our predators if trapping is banned on public lands? Wolves, and coyotes will be free for the most part, to expand and kill more game animals, livestock and whatever. Trapping only keeps their numbers at bay.

Also, Purdue, how do you think the wolves were caught that were used in the transplant recovery areas? They used leg hold traps. There's Government trappers out right now in Montana, Idaho, and other parts of the west trapping wolves to put radio collars on. You guessed it, foothold traps are used for that too.

This would be my last wolf if it goes through.

22-Jul-16
Most dogs shouldn't be roaming free to get caught in a trap. A hunting dog hunting is another matter and is just one of the dangers of hunting.

Most people today are so far removed from the natural earth and just don't understand trapping/hunting. I would like to ask these people what they believe the outcome will be if public land trapping is banned.

I would also like to ask them if they believe their cities have had a positive impact on these wild animals they care so much about.

What would they say if we asked them how many fawns went through the swather while cutting their organic feed for their organic cattle?

What would they say if we asked how much wildlife lost habitat to provide for their vegan diets?

People just don't think with any intelligence, it's all emotion. The Sometimes I think the collapse of modern society can't come soon enough?

22-Jul-16
Think trapping is bad? Wait until you hear what else these guys do. They wait until its the mating season for elk when the bulls are driven by the uncontrollable urge to reproduce. The "hunter" imitates the sound of a female elk to lure the unsuspecting bull into range where its wounded with a primitive arrow. The elk is left to wander off and die before the "hunter" takes up the trail minutes or hours later to collect the horns.

Even worse. Wild geese struggling to survive the harsh winter thats approaching migrate south in a desperate search for food and safety. The unpredictable climate, made worse by man-made climate change, means they endure sub-zero temperatures, disappearing wetlands and droughts as they fly south. "Hunters" set up hundreds of lifelike decoy geese in the few prime feeding areas and imitate the sounds of content geese while they sit in underground ambush spots completely concealed from the unsuspecting geese. At the last moment when the exhausted geese set their wings to land in what they believe to be a safe haven, the "hunters" burst from their hide killing and wounding the terrified geese.

If anyone thinks their preferred type of hunting or trapping is safe because its more ethical or more accepted at the moment, think again. Every type of hunting is on the list. When one type of hunting or trapping is lost, your preferred method moves one notch closer to the top of the list.

22-Jul-16
Purdue, ah forget it........

I am simply amazed that anyone that hunts would make the comments this Purdue does, and get's his information from HSUS or PETA sites....

22-Jul-16
I have only trapped a little when I was a kid. I have seen a leg chewed off in one of my traps. I've also seen broken toes and steel jaws down to the bone. Not always, but enough to make me rethink the practice. It is not for me.

I just got on here to state my opinion. I have a right to that, don't I? The venimous attacks and name calling are a hoot. Not one logical counter, just name calling and assumptions about my experience or questioning where I got that picture (like knowiing that would make the picture less offensive). I hope none of you are lawyers or heading up the team to counter the PETA crowd. Your comments are embarrassingly weak at best and inflammatory too.

Don't you see, it doesnt make any difference if you can stick your fingers in a trap and not be hurt. The fact is, there are hundreds of pictures out there that show damage to the animal's leg. If the animal didn't move perhaps minimal damage would be done, but that is not the case is it. You all know good and well what happens.

It is comments like most of those above that sway the general public's opinion to that of animal rights. As I read them I get a mental picture of the poster and so will the public. For most it is not a complementary vision. And do you really think your "arguments" are going to counter the pictures, evidence and logical that the trap haters are going to bring to the table. You better get you s..t together if you're going to have a prayer of winning any debate.

In fact, your comments have just about moved me from being a "it's not for me, but let others do what they want" kind of guy, to reaching into my pocket for a PETA donation on this matter. I wonder if that is how PETA got started? Someone with an honest opinion got trashed and belittled for it, but it awoke the sleeping giant in them and that became PETA. I see how it could happen.

22-Jul-16
I have trapped for over 45 years and believe it is the best way to control predator populations. It is a fact however that on rare occasions, leg hold traps do injure the animal, break skin, draw blood and even cause leg breakage. It is also a fact that occasionally, but rarely, domestic animals may and do end up in a leg hold, conibear or snare. It bothers me when I hear supposedly seasoned trappers say it never happens. It is rare, but does happen to the best of us if we set a meaningful number of traps.

I have trapped many thousands of muskrats and hundreds and hundreds of beaver, fox, mink and coyotes. It does not always go as planned and although rare, I have had the unintended consequences and catches.

There will always be a concern from those who share the woods with trappers, especially those using dogs for bird hunting, or hounds for other animals. Occasionally it is just the recreationist out for a walk with their pets. As trappers, we have to be sympathetic to the thought of multiple use on public land. Set traps with others in mind, learn their habits and avoid the situation.

I think it best that trappers continue to improve, be out of sight and out of mind. We do however have to be honest as to what can and has happened.

I will continue to trap and support trapping despite what the rare possibilities are. I do all I can to minimize the unintended, and do the best I can to avoid the situation.

22-Jul-16
No, we are all strange and you have no idea how happy we are to here that you don't want to live here.

Please pass that on to every non Montanan you know.

22-Jul-16
Purdue, when you speak like an idiot, you will be called an idiot. Should it be any other way?

PETA probably started out as an organization that meant to do good, a lot of domestic animals are treated very poorly and its a shame but hunting and trapping is not unethical treatment of animals, it's humanity at its finest, it's humanity at the top of the food chain, it's thousands of years of evolution, it's sustenance, it's pure.

Some people are so blinded by society, they never take the time to stop and look around, remove their heads from their asses and smell the fresh air. They have not one intelligent thought of their own and if they had they would realize that it is their own way of life that has wastefuly destroyed animals and their habitat and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

22-Jul-16
Unfortunately our beautiful mountain states are becoming saturated with liberal Californians. They have drove up the cost of living exponentially and bring their anti sentiments with them... then they get into political positions to enforce/promote their agenda. Like a virus.

22-Jul-16
I would also point out that hunting with dogs of all kinds is next for this group. They attack the smaller fringe groups that others in the sporting group feel indifferent too. Hunting with dogs is not just for hound hunting. It's also birds.

Purdue, my guess is that you went trapping by yourself as a kid. Had very little adult supervision and you guidance. Being taught properly would have went a long way in your experiences being different.

I will also say that all our activities aren't pristine and proper. Killing game animals by bow or by rifle is sometimes a very messy business. Things go just as wrong with bullet and broadhead as do those that use the trap. Look in the mirror before you condemn someones activities.

22-Jul-16
"No different than intentionally wounding an animal" - i cannot logically follow that statement.

I trap and am bringing up my boys to be outdoorsmen (which includes trapping). On occasion we do catch "non targeted" animals. We do what we can to release them, but the truth of the matter is that some cats won't allow that to happen. Are there some "domestic" animals that are killed by trappers every year? That answer is logically "YES". There are drawbacks and unintentional killings each year. What is the alternative? Allow the predators to overpopulate? And then get "permission" to kill a predator that's eating your chickens and pets? Really?

What about bowhunting? There are pictures of wounded deer that are not hard to find. And pictures of deer that had their lower jaws blown off by a bad rifle shot - and the deer dies of starvation. Do we ban all hunting because of that? I'm not running from or denying the truth - bad shots do happen and unintended "non targeted" animals are also killed. So because of that do you (Purdue) want to outlaw trapping and hunting? That just doesn't seem logical. If outlawing these methods are preferred, how are you going to control the population? Then rather than the occasional deer starving, many starve. If you really respect the animal - surely that is not what you want to see happen. The correct answer cannot be stop trapping and hunting. Don't know if you are looking for intelligent back and forth or if you're just being inflammatory? I've done my part to be civil and logical in a response.

--Mitch

22-Jul-16
For whatever it is worth, according to forensic studies and statistics on dead house cats who were running at large, coyotes are the number one killer. I would guess that many "at large" house cat pets are actually saved thru trapping and predation control. We need more trapping of predators, not less. With smart trapping, almost all cats caught in traps are feral, not pets. In no way am I claiming they are all feral, just the vast majority.

22-Jul-16
Purdue, I questioned your picture because it looks fake. I think it was doctored to elicit a negative response. The source makes it even more suspect.

Like I said before, I have only caught one dog in a foothold trap and he was fine. Wagged his tail and walked away. I have caught plenty of other canines, coyotes and fox, and have never seen one that looked anything like that picture you posted.

If a person looks for something negative associated with trapping, he or she will eventually find something. That is true with all forms of hunting and fishing. And every aspect of life. It is an imperfect world. A yes vote on a ballot initiative against trapping is blow to all sportsmen. More than one person has tried to make logical arguments to get you to see that point, but you refuse to... Forests and trees.

Your original post that trapping was the equivalent of deliberately injuring an animal was irresponsible and inaccurate. It was an ignorant thing to say, and that is why you got the response you did.

23-Jul-16
And if not for the liberal dip shits that manitou1 speaks of, we wouldn't even be dealing with this nonsense.

And for what it's worth, I don't trap nor have ever trapped.

23-Jul-16
Looking a predator in the eyes feels like looking at a person ?? Dudeist that sounds mental to me.........

Kill a bear and EAT it.........

Kill every coyote you can to help the deer herds........

And vote to allow hunters to kill wolves to do the same.........

I have trouble killing bears too....... I'm not lucky enough to kill one every year.

Back to eating my bear burger..... Carry on. I view Trapping as an AMERICAN HERITAGE......

23-Jul-16
"I think the person who kills any and everything, and never feels a bit of remorse, as being a bit mentally ill"

I'm not sure how shooting several species or predators changes anything. Honestly this is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time, and given my line of work thats saying something!

The only remorse I have while hunting is after the tag is filled and realizing the hunt is over until the next tag/season opens. When I kill an animal, the only thing I personally feel is thankful to have everything come together.

Trapping is one of the only ways to effectively manage predators, without it managing yotes,wolves, beavers and so on is next to impossible . Well unless more tax dollars get used to do the job most of use gladly pay to do.

23-Jul-16
It's probably my fault, I have a hard time reading between the lines with comments that come "from the left". I guess I assume most hunters are like myself and the guys I've hunted with across the country. They hunt for food, conservation, tradition, extra, not to just killing everything that moves.

To me shooting some coyotes, bears, mt lions when in season with a tag (I had to clarify the tags thing for the new lefties on here, welcome) This is not even in the same ball park as Nazi's or mowing down a troop of Gorillas???

FYI i had to watch a few Hillary campaign adds to help me better understand where some of these comments were coming from.......

23-Jul-16
And the posts start disappearing.

23-Jul-16
When Missoula gets Hillary's imports from the Congo soon, maybe they will be pro trapping.

23-Jul-16

Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
Tradman and Huntress's embedded Photo
You requested a logical counter Purdue, so I felt compelled to offer one. You see, I raise sheep and goats on our ranch so trapping is a necessity not a form of recreation. What I'm defending here is our right to protect our investment. At the same time, I'm rabidly defending the right to trap for recreation as well. If it weren't for others trapping and shooting predators, then the problem would be that much worse!

We have employed leghold traps, conibear traps, snares and live traps (coon sized through hog sized) to eliminate the threat to our livestock- either ourselves or with the assistance of the local government trapper (I'll talk a little more about him later). Every year we eliminate somewhere between 70 and 80 coyotes from our property and it does not seem to make a dent in the population. That's not to mention the dozens of coons, possums and skunks I trap from around the chicken coop. Yes, we've trapped a couple of stray dogs and each time they've been alive and healthy to be released from the traps (including one little terrier with painted toenails...I'm sure some little girl was missing that one).

What is much more humane however (by your definition), are the cyanide bombs the government trapper uses. If you're not familiar with them, it's a little canister that's baited with meat. When an animal....any animal...pulls the trigger it discharges a dose of cyanide gas right into their mouth. The cyanide acts so quickly that the animal rarely makes it 50 yards and "enjoys" an almost instant death. The problem with these is that they're indiscriminate. We had a flood last spring which left a small opening in my goat pasture water gap and both of my livestock guardian dogs got out the day of the flood. I didn't know there were cyanide bombs being used on a neighbors ranch a half mile away, and quite honestly it wouldn't have made a difference even if I did know it. Neither of my dogs (which were of no threat to wildlife or livestock) lived to guard my goats again. These are two dogs that I've had on land that we've been trapping on for 13 years. I certainly don't blame the government trapper as it wasn't his fault my dogs got out, but the results were the same.

The point I'm making here is that we need to employ whatever legal methods there are to eliminate as many predators as possible just to maintain the populations at reasonable levels. Since most predators are not hunted for food and their furs have been devalued by the animal rights movements, there simply aren't enough people killing them to keep the population in check. To the casual outdoorsman this isn't obvious, but to someone who raises livestock it's one of the biggest challenges we face. It's quite a financial blow when we lose an $800 calf or a dozen kids in one night!

In closing I'd like to add one thing, and this is the main reason I'm taking the time to write. I fully expect to see pictures like the one you posted above on animal rights and anti-hunting/ trapping sites....but it upsets me to see that on any hunting friendly site. As in any fight, the most dangerous enemy is the one that resides in your own camp, and therein lies the reason so many folks have responded to your comments the way they have. We are losing our privileges one by one as the enemy works to divide us...and sadly they're gaining more ground with every passing election. When you consider the fact that only approximately ten percent of the population are hunters, we need every single vote of support we can get! I know I'm not going to change your mind on this issue, but if you truly are a supporter of those of us whom like (or need) to hunt and trap, the very least you can do is to stop condemning legal methods.

Respectfully, Cheryl Napper

23-Jul-16
Purdue is voicing his opinion and for that he should not be called stupid etc... Because he doesn't like it is fine it's his opinion. The antis use pics like the one of the dog above with blood all over it from being trapped and that's what turns people against trapping, they don't like to see a aims suffering. Animals have chewed their limb off to escape a trap and that thought in the minds of non trappers is horrifying. Education by the big organizations like SCI and the like ar ended end. The problem is they spend their funds on other things. I get tired of the personal attacks on ones opinion, they have a right to express how they feel, like or not. Calling for a vote to name another the stupidest individual on bow site is in its self moronic. Now, my opinion on trapping is I have no problem with it and as long as the trapper works within the he law it's fine. I Wish I had place to trap but sadly I don't. Montan has been invaded by the libs and until a few of them start loosi g pets and being eaten by predators they will be trying to ban it all, Montanans better figure it out or they will be in the crapper.

23-Jul-16
It don't matter to any of you if your not a resident of Montana. We will vote yes or no last time we voted on the same thing it was voted down 60% to 40% I don't think it will be any different this time

23-Jul-16
Dan, it actually does matter because whenever they get something like this passed it increases their fundraising momentum to put other issues on the ballot in other states. I've talked with the EVP of HSUS about this. They are way more sophisticated than organized hunting groups and do demographic studies to measure voter shifts before spending the money on a campaign.

I sure hope you're right. Montana would be a HUGE victory for them on a national level.

23-Jul-16
Traps are bad and should be illegal, just ask Dieter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpAvycIQwnY

23-Jul-16

PECO's Link

23-Jul-16
Some are very significant landowners in Montana, but not residents.

These type of laws are of interest to all Montana property owners and nonresident hunters/trappers, even though only residents can vote. Outcomes effect all of us and we can help by being advocates.

23-Jul-16
"Purdue is voicing his opinion and for that he should not be called stupid etc... Because he doesn't like it is fine it's his opinion."

An opinion is fine. Not liking it is fine. An ignorant statement and insulting everyone who doesn't feel the same way by saying, "No different than intentionally wounding an animal." is where the rub is.

23-Jul-16
Midwest, in his mind it's one in the same, that's how he views it, ignore it and move on. That Dieter guy isn't to bright lol.

23-Jul-16
I don't trap either but considering there are poor players in the trapping realm just like everything else the point can be made about an unattended trap. Leghold or otherwise. That would be wanton waste (already illegal) more than cruelty argument that the folks like Kalee the blondie on Big Bang Theory push with PeTA the domestic terrorist supporting group.

I was at a political caucus recently and someone (not the liberal crowd) came up with a resolution to stop our state DNR from spending funds on teaching women to bowhunt. No really!! This woman brought it up straight faced. Believed that if you wanted to hunt you had to do it with a gun. Just as bad as some anti in my opinion.

23-Jul-16
I posted this thread to hopefully make guys aware of this latest threat from the AR kooks. The story at the link also provides a way to donate to the fight in defeating this ballot initiative.

I'd never have guessed there'd be supporters of AR extremism posting here. If nothing else though, the one anti posting on this thread has shown us the kind of propaganda and lies being used to "educate" the public about trapping. Hopefully BigDan is right and common sense will prevail over the trickery, lies, and phony agendas of the AR scammers. But I wouldn't assume anything, nor take this threat lightly, considering that they've already succeeded with trapping bans in 5 other states, including Colorado and Arizona.

23-Jul-16
it is not simply a matter of education or common sense prevailing. Sadly.

I can just about guarantee that every single defender at the Alamo was firing his gun, but outnumbered is outnumbered, I know that 'we' will go down fighting and be found laying on a pile of brass, but go down we will pard,

there is no greater defender of hunting trapping and fishing heritage than Wyoming but we lost a whole section of national forest here closed to trapping because people in Jackson like to walk there with their dogs.

And sure we can snort and say, well, typical Jackson, that's just Far Eastern California now, but the truth is they are here and they are city bred and raised and they simply outnumber us.

They want to believe that all animals are Disney creations and live happy lives with flowers and rainbows and they never die except at the hands of cruel terrible people like you and me.

Sure its unreal and flat out crazy, but that's what they believe, you can't beat Crazy.

24-Jul-16
I will state it rephrase what others are nibbling at, when it comes to dealing with anti's .

We cannot be complacent, no matter the topic. We have to win every day to keep what is right and retain what we enjoy . The anti's only have to win once.

If you think any different, put a bear baiting or trapping referendum on the ballot in Colorado and see where it goes. No going back.

25-Jul-16
"It don't matter to any of you if your not a resident of Montana."

Bigdan, I respect a lot of the things you say because you are a very accomplished bowhunter, but you could not be more wrong with this statement. It matters to everyone who hunts, fishes, traps, or even simply enjoys public lands. It matters because every time outdoorsmen lose on a vote like this, it's just one more piece of our freedom eroding. Soon enough hunting in general will be on the ballot, very likely in my lifetime I think. I'm not a trapper, I don't have time, but I'd sure hate to see my fellow sportsmen in Montana lose a piece of their heritage, income, hobby, etc. It's already happened here in Colorado and I'm sure a decade before it did, people were thinking "that'll never happen here..."

25-Jul-16
I think what's really needed is an end to making decisions like these by referendum. This is only even possible in some states. Why would a state hire and pay wildlife professionals and then let the public decide on issues that requite a fairly high degree of knowledge and understanding?

Maybe the residents of these states can collect enough signatures and get a vote on things like term limits for politicians. Imagine what would happen if we set speed limits and taxes by popular vote.

25-Jul-16
Trapping is part of the management plan in Montana.Rather than the State shelling out millions to manage wolves,our hunters and trappers add $400,000 a year and do most of it for them.

Coyote trappers are welcome on most private land.And to address an earlier statement,intelligent canines can't be taken in body gripper or cage traps.The only practical ways are foot holding traps and snares and we can't use snares for wolves.

We already got the right to trap in our constitution but this bill seeks to do an end-around by cutting off all public land trapping which is a big percentage of this country.And note,that it would prevent even State and Federal employees from using them in cases of predation,radio collaring etc. unless they exhausted all other methods first,which often is futile.

Wolves are still radio collared and monitored and this work is done with foot hold traps and probably more on public land than private.

The people running these anti-trapping campaigns,oppose all trapping,hunting,grazing etc.The next,most vulnerable group is bowhunters.After that will be rifle hunting,and the rest.United we stand.

These groups aren't afraid to fabricate stories or photos in order to generate revenues through emotion.Every cause is a boost in their generation of revenues.They are fund raising organizations FIRST.

Montana is a great place.I'm proud to be a trapper,bowhunter and rifle hunter here.People are moving here and trying to curtail Montana's way of life and livelihoods to make more like the places they left.They are against us all.

25-Jul-16
I am voting for Cheryl for president!

25-Jul-16

shb's Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsj-2o0ux14

25-Jul-16
This is the contact info for Jim Buell, from the MTA, they are going to need monetary help to get the word out, and get the sportsmen to the polls. If you would like to help here is Jim's contact info.

Old School donations like checks or money orders, you can send them to Jim Buel.

Jim Buell, P.O. Box 133, Gildford, MT 59525 406-376-3178 [email protected]

Their Go Fund Me Page, which can be shared on Facebook, etc.

https://www.gofundme.com/2gx66sak

The Donation Page from the MTA website where you can use paypal.

http://www.montanatrappers.org/donations.htm

26-Jul-16
Thanks shb for posting the links.

Go Fund Me Donation Page

I whole-heartedly agree that this needs to get nipped in the bud before it starts a landslide, and further emboldens the AR extremists.

27-Jul-16
Guys, you all want to beat up on Purdue for his opinion on trapping, which when you see pictures of a pet bloodied due to a trap you. Can't fight that image to the non hunting/ trapping community. For the record, I have no problem with trapping, I think it's beneficial to control predators , however, when you guys beat up on one of our own for his opinion you turn other non trappers against you. The fact is some animals do try to escape the traps and have been known to chew until they do, and the fact that this bill has a chance of passing shows that the trapping community has done a poor job of educating the public at large, and the hunting community is going to face this same outcome in the future, especially when 90% of the hunting shows do a disservice with they way they represent hunters. How is it that a state like Montana with such a great outdoor resource get taken over by the antis? Instead of attacking one of own for his opinion I suggest you all spend your time fighting the antis in your state and educating the non outdoor folks.

27-Jul-16
Sorry....but anyone who says they are reaching into their pocket to donate to PETA and tries to portray themselves as a hunter is not. I always questioned whether Purdue even owns a bow....I now know my answer.

27-Jul-16
This is Purdue's original post:

"I never did like leg-hold traps. No different than intentionally wounding an animal. Traps that kill quickly, no problem."

Where Purdue went wrong was that second "sentence". Equating the use of leg-hold traps, especially those commonly used today, with the intentional wounding of a game animal by a weapon or other means is certainly an ignorant expression.

Now, I would agree that some posters above that were jumping on the crucify bandwagon probably went too far. However, then Purdue decided to dig his heels in and keep shoveling. He could have simply admitted a bit of ignorance and moved on, but he did not. His attempt at trying to turn the tables by indicating Bowsite made him turn to PETA is pathetic. Thus, I can't really feel too bad for him.

27-Jul-16
Money sent to Montana! hope you win, cause there going to keep coming.

27-Jul-16
Every situation has a right and a wrong side. Meaning, if your opinion lands you on the wrong side, it doesn't justify your feelings. I'm sure it is easy to try and pick apart the right side but, it has the distinct variables of truth, proof, data, etc.... Therefore, feeling a certain way about something should require the person to at least want to be on the right side of the issue. When they aren't, saying its ok doesn't make it ok. It just reaffirms they are entitled to their incorrect opinion without ridicule. Which is absurd. After decades of such a lacidasical approach, all desire to be on the right side is lost by some people. It's of no concern. They'd rather have it their way versus doing it the right way. Kindda sounds like a lot of America don't it?

Heck yes he needs corrected for being so naive. It's one thing to be wrong and admit it. It's another to be wrong, untruthful, and to dang proud to admit your faults. Which is why he has gotten what he has gotten. It isn't ok to accept these opinions. Especially when you are in the living room of a hunting forum expressing your incorrect opinion about a outdoor topic

We fight these kind of things daily. If we continue to accept others misplaced, untruthful, misinformed views, we are going to loose this fight. I don't want to loose. I also don't want ignorant people educating the unknowing masses either. While they may never admit pubically they were wrong, putting them outside their comfort zone might switch the light bulb on for them when they are pondering the topic. I'm simply done with the idea opinions are useful. Unless they are on the factual, moral, correct side of things. God Bless men

27-Jul-16
So the only opinion that matters, or is right, is one that agrees with yours? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Although I may not agree with everything Purdue posted, I understand where he's coming from. Hopefully his PETA comment was tongue in cheek, but I'd get defensive too. Namecalling and insults aren't going to win ANY battle. That's the tactic the other side uses. Emotion isn't the way to sway someone to your way of thinking.

27-Jul-16
So....using a picture from an animal rights website to support your point has nothing to do with emotion?

27-Jul-16
A wounded animal is sometimes harmed very little, same as with a leg hold trap. Sometimes a wounded animal suffers greatly or is permanitely maimed, same as with a leg hold trap. Leg hold traps can do the same thing as wounding an animal. Since traps are set intentionally and the trapper knows that they are indiscrimnate, freguently harm and always traumatize the animal, I see little difference between leg hold trapping and intentionally wounding an animal. I've seen what traps can do and so have you. Just saying it isn't the same isn't very convincing.

Your problem is not what I think, but rather that most of the general public sees it the same way. Claims like, "how else can we control the predators", does not hold any water for the general public. They are thinking, "Use guard dogs, use live traps, what about the small cute animals you catch. Do something else, do anything that's humane and besides......that's your problem, I've got my own problems".

That was a pretty good video above. However, I noticed a few shortcomings and PETA will notice them too. The one racoon that was released was limping. It also didn't show the reaction of the animal just as it was caught. It mostly just showed foxes being released. Me thinks the deck was staked. I wonder what footage didn't make it to YouTube.

Take a game camera video of several different animals being trapped and held in winter until it freezes to death or is killed, then show them to the local womens league. When they can tolerate your trapping method then you might have a prayer of keeping your trapping season with its current laws.

I'm all for trapping if can be done in a humane manner. I would think that most others would too. So before trapping is totally banned maybe you should try to get out in front of the problem and make those padded jaw traps mandatory and / or traps must be checked every (blank) hours or kill traps only or whatever it takes to soothe the publics perception.

And the same is true with bow hunting. The bow hunters should start demanding things like hunter education courses that includes demonstrated shooting ability and bow tuning.

We better start working on the public's perception of trapping AND bowhunting. It currently isn't very good, especially with women and they vote too. It's going to take money, organization, and probably changes to the way things have always been. Changes that makes the sport more humane will keep the sports around.

27-Jul-16
There are plenty of pictures out there where it shows an animal with one less foot/ leg etc... If one is shown it will be called fake or a set up etc... I believe the guys who trap on here when they say they have never seen it in their trap lines. However, like people, animals react differently so just because one has not seen it does not mean it hasn't happened. I believe it's more likely to happen when a snare is used but that is just my opinion. Let's face it, there are things in life where no matter how hard you try there are just certain opinions which are not going to change, and trapping is one of them. When a pic is shown of a cute little critter in a leg hold trap it hits a nerve with a lot of people and they can't help but feel sorry for that animal, and calling them stupid or ignorant isn't going to change the way they feel. You'd be better off ignororing them and move on, it's like politics, your not going to change minds very often if at all. I am willing to bet that there are more pro trapping folks in Montana then anti and I think the pro side will win out. But it's a shot across the bow for future fights and I will say that if you all continue with the name calling to try and convince the other side you will loose every time.

27-Jul-16
Where is the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers statement?

27-Jul-16
The HSUS, PETA, and all the other animal rights organizations usually pick on a small minority groups like trappers, and hunters using dogs, or bear baiting because it is more easy to defeat a small group. Animal rights organizations are no better then any other blood sucking parasite. And they honestly could care less about the animals. Do a little research and see how many dog pounds you can find in this country that are owned by the HSUS. I will save you8 some time and tell you how many they own. It adds up to Zero. But they use the misinformed puppy lovers to donate millions a year. There main agenda is to stop hunting. And Perdue, you are way behind times. they have had hunter education courses for years. How long have you been paying your membership dues to HSUS?

27-Jul-16

Shoots-Straight's Link
Purdue, watch and learn.

https://youtu.be/Rsj-2o0ux14

27-Jul-16
Wyoming, you are putting words in my mouth. I didn't say that. I never said anything like that. Nor, that I was always right. Instead, that I try to be right. And, there is a right and wrong side to every situation. And, in this situation, Purdue is wrong. Leg hold traps do not wound animals. They aren't inhumane in the way they work or hold an animal. Regardless of what he initially suggested and refuses to acknowledge. They do not do to any animal what the picture he posted suggested. That makes him on he wrong side. That makes him wrong on this topic.

It may not work that way for you or Purdue. But, it does for me or anyone else that wants to be on the right side of a topic.

Also, this is bowsite. We are among or own here. I'm certain the exchanges here are far different than what they would be had this been an open discussion in mixed company. I most definitely give my fellow hunters credit for recognizing the difference.

God Bless men.

27-Jul-16
If you have not visited the PETA, HSUS and other sites, talked to them face to face you do not understand the agenda. True full blown PETA members want all of us vegans, NO: Hunting - we all know Trapping - as discussed Fishing and worse is the torture of catch and release. Farming - treatment, forced imprisonment,force to reproduce, slaughter, etc. Pets: are not pets, are equals with humans.

I have and do all of the above all my life. I live by the teaching God placed animals on the earth to used by man wisely. Losing God in our society aids in the demise of all of the above. Not preaching. Also the loss of farms, logging, and hard working hands on families are part of this. I have spoke with kids who believe Chocolate milk comes from brown cows and adults that believe hamburger comes from the store, not cows. I am glad I am as old as I am, I feel for my grandchildren. I respect and am thankful for every animal that was given to me to used wisely.

27-Jul-16
Arrowfinger - "And Perdue, you are way behind times. they have had hunter education courses for years."

But it is not mandatory in all states. No knowledge testing, no skill testing, just attendance, at least that was the way it was when I took it.

Standards need to be raised to minimize the wounding of the animals. And the public needs to be constantly informed about the HUNTR'S efforts to raise the standards. That it's not something being jammed down their throats by some animal protection group. The sportsmen need to be the ones thought of as caring.

Just keep thinking the way you have and watch your sport disappear.

Montana trappers.....how has what you've been doing working for ya?

Shoots-Straight, catch up, that was posted 2 days ago.

27-Jul-16
Purdue, Great idea lets mandate more and then people don't a have to be ethical, parents don't have to responsible, and you can be happy cause mandating things from the government or others always solves any perceived problem you have developed in your mind.

27-Jul-16
So a mandated driving test to get a driver's license is a bad idea too?

It's nucklehead comments like yours are what gives hunters a not-so-smart reputation.

27-Jul-16
No I did not say that you said that, please don't put your words in my mouth. I certainly would not like that taste. I stated "more mandated". I can list many government mandated items on the books I object to. We have enough government interference in our lives already in my opinion. Oh but I guess only you can have an opinion and use name calling. Very mature of you. You seem to live by a double standard.

28-Jul-16
Purdue, the bowhunters I associate with are ethical enough to shoot there bows well and learn the anatomy of the animals we hunt. What will cause our sport to disappear is fools like you who come on a hunting site like this one and condemn trappers and even bowhunters for that matter. Posting fake pictures of a dog with traps on his feet and condem a sport that many of us here participate in. No one here wants to hear that garbage. Animal rights activist are just like you they don't have a clue what they are talking about. Know nothing about wildlife or coservation. It is alright in there mind to abort thousands of unborn babies everyday in this country. But don't you dare hurt an animal! You sound as Liberal as they are. And I'm betting you will vote for Hillary.

28-Jul-16
I think this may be a staged photo, I have trapped hundreds of coyote and fox and never seen that much blood. The dog may be caught by one hind toe, cant say for sure. The ground isn't disturbed one bit, hes laying by a garage for goodness sake!!! The only place that much blood could come from is his mouth, or he was doused with blood or run over by a car. This was no predator set, traps are rusty. I don't see the holes they were bedded in, more anti trapping B.S. . Five or six years ago the antis perpetuated a story about a dog named buddy being caught in a 330 connibear, long story short, buddy never existed. Purdue is way off base and probably supports all the other liberal agendas that are ruining this country, when we manage wildlife through the ballot box this is what we get!!!! Maybe I don't like fishing? If I put a piece of rebar in your mouth and drug you around wouldn't that be cruel and unusual? America is about freedom, when we start telling others what is right or wrong based on ignorance were headed for trouble. Trapping is an effective humane way to manage predators, any other view is based on pure emotion!!!! Hard to believe how out of touch people are to there agrarian roots, coyotes fox wolves and dogs are not human!!! Stop attaching human qualities to them, we all love our dogs but come on!!!

28-Jul-16
"dogs are not human" true but I like my dog more than most humans.

28-Jul-16
Purdue isn't your enemy in this. This is, what's called in advertisement/promotion, "Positioning".

The media and slug politicians use it all the time.

Perception is Reality. If you are not actively creating a perception that you want to be reality, others will be doing it against you.

Is this a monumental task? Yes. PETA and other organizations get donations. These people siphon off enough of it to pay themselves and the rest is used to create a perception. That is what they do!!!!

Beating up on Purdue does nothing. Your adversary is out there.

28-Jul-16
Purdue: "Montana trappers.....how has what you've been doing working for ya?"

Actually quit well. The last time the activists tried this, there wasn't even enough signatures. This time they had to hire people from other states to get the signatures.

I don't want to just beat them, I want to pulverize them into the ground from which they came.

Trappers in Montana, have asked repeatedly for a Trappers educational course to be given before a license can be bought.

There's a mandatory class to trap wolves now. There's plenty of educational information going around, even youth camps on the outdoors and trapping every year. Hundreds if not thousands of kids are being taught right. By and large trappers have come a long ways to protect pets, incidental catch, and public perception of how and what we trap.

If not for trapping how do we control wolves? I've not seen you respond to that question. Is some collateral damage to pets and other animals worth the good that catching around 70 wolves a year in Montana? That equates to about 1440 elk saved. Of course that shakes out to deer and other wildlife too.

• Sitka Gear