Matt 26-Jul-16
MDW 26-Jul-16
Little Bear 27-Jul-16
HockeyDad 27-Jul-16
MichaelArnette 27-Jul-16
bowslinger 2 29-Jul-16
fairchase 29-Jul-16
22-Jul-16
I just read that as well and thought the same thing....

22-Jul-16
You have to draw a line somewhere, good on them.

22-Jul-16
Sounds reasonable.

22-Jul-16
Good for the ATA! I personally take umbrage with the phrase "airbow". Isn't this thing really just an air gun that shoots a bolt? The very term "bow" refers in part to the "bowing" of the limbs, there's no limbs here!

22-Jul-16
golf clap.... while them clarifying their stance via this statement is nice in some facet it should really go without saying. I'll never forget hearing that thing fire for the first time at the show in Jan. laughed my tail off...

22-Jul-16
If they pay the Federal Excise tax things could change. (2nd paragraph)

22-Jul-16
Good on them! Its a cool "gadget", however is nowhere near being archery equipment.

22-Jul-16
Like Brotsky said there is no "bow". Hell, why not propel an arrow with a Barret 50 cal and call it a Powder Bow. I'm sure somebody would make the argument that it was archery!!!

22-Jul-16
Their logic sounds arbitrary to me. Is excise tax paid on camo or scent eliminator? I don't think so, but maybe it is. The point is, I'm thinking that had several of the big names in bow manufacturing jumped on board with the concept and had come out with their own airbow model, that the ATA would have a different opinion.

Personally, I don't see it as being much different than a crossbow in ease of use. Just a faster second shot.

22-Jul-16
Not a bow in any way. Good for them. They certainly didn't need to include the info about the Pittman Robertson Funds. Just clouds the water IMO

22-Jul-16
The ATA is taking this position for one reason only...no one will buy crossbows if the airgun is legal! The airgun is faster, easier and less complicated to shoot, and perhaps more accurate. It will drive the crossbow industry out of business.

22-Jul-16
Now that make sense. Always follow the money.

22-Jul-16
Double post.

24-Jul-16
So why was there an ad for it on page 66 in the "New Gear" Catalog supplement with the latest issue of Archery Business magazine? If the ATA "feels" it is not archery equipment, why take an ad from them which touts itself as the next step of archery evolution? The ATA has prostituted themselves to the crossbow manufacturers for years, but now deems the Airbow not in the same light. Ha, easy is easy, and NEITHER one is archery tackle. Shouldered, like a rifle. Scoped, like a rifle. Triggered, like a rifle. Pre-cocked and pre-loaded, like a rifle. Flatter trajectory, like a rifle.

24-Jul-16
Before I even got to Brotsky's post I said to myself there's no bow in this thing. Plus what Al Dente Laptop said " Shouldered, like a rifle. Scoped, like a rifle. Triggered, like a rifle. Pre-cocked and pre-loaded, like a rifle. Flatter trajectory, like a rifle" I agree 100%with Al... I'd like to see it kept out of all season's.. The maker's of these air gun's know that they just have to get them into a season "any" season and they will then get them into archery season. They know it and will fight to get them into a gun season and They dam well knowing where that will get them.

Respectfully Ed

24-Jul-16
The Airbow is nothing "bow". Its simply an air rifle that shoots an arrow. Saying a crossbow is pretty much a rifle is as ridiculous as saying black semi-automatic rifle is an "assault weapon". Crossbows are nothing new guys. They are a couple thousand years old and predate the rifles you are comparing them to by a huge chunk of time.

24-Jul-16
Agree with the other posters that it's not a bow. Benjamin should call it an "Arrow Gun" or something. Good for ATA!

24-Jul-16

Bowboy's Link
Wyoming already said no to Airbow.

24-Jul-16
Certainly the definition of "bow" has to be less broad than "weapon not a firearm."

26-Jul-16
Crosman and Jim Shockey released a statement condemning the ATA's stance. Crosman thinks that just because "arrows", in reality bolts, are purchased to be fired from the AirBow, that they do contribute to Pittman-Robinson. Ha, what a joke. And Jim Shockey invoked Lewis and Clark in comparing the pneumatic rifles of centuries ago to the AirBow. His claim is that the evolution of hunting implements should be embraced by all and accepted. I lost a lot of respect for him.

26-Jul-16
I'm not anti Jim Shockey and I didn't read his statement yet and do like his show.. But I think that he's more following the $$$ than wanting to hunt with a airgun.

26-Jul-16
Crosman is a major sponsor of Jim Shockey's show. No surprise that he is taking a position of promoting their airgun. I'm done with Shockey.

26-Jul-16
Shockey started following the money a while back and it appears he will whore himself, and his name, out to the highest bidder, regardless............

26-Jul-16
If the Airbow catches on and the big manufacturers that currently make archery gear start producing them, this ruling will change.

I have nothing against the Airbow. I think most any weapon is cool whether its a spear, catapult or a laser. I would have no issue with them in the rifle season in my State. We have the long seasons, easier access to tags and less crowding due to one thing...its harder to kill stuff with a bow. But, we'll keep racing to make it as easy as possible even though it works against the very things that make bowhunting so special.

26-Jul-16
I don't see this as surprising.

26-Jul-16
A couple meetings back, the Kansas Wildlife & Parks Big Game manager said no to the airbow when asked about it being legalized in Kansas.

27-Jul-16
It figures the ATA would only focus on the money side of the issue. No mention of the device not conforming to any similarities to a bow or the principles of archery.

27-Jul-16

HockeyDad's Link
Well I think it was Shockey who killed the Buffalo last winter with the airbow. And hes in a few videos here on the cabelas ad.

Let them use it during rifle season if they want to, but not Archery. Heck in Colorado they will take another week of our archery season and make it for the Airbow guys!

27-Jul-16
It's about time someone did! I refuse to call it an "airXxx" ...it's an air gun plain and simple

29-Jul-16
It wasn't to long ago we were up and arms about cross bows. Were we not? we shall see how this plays out. You know we have no vote on this.

29-Jul-16
From what I understand it's already legal to hunt with this thing in about 30 states. I have no idea if it's legal in archery seasons. Not sure I really want to. As stated above, follow the money.

• Sitka Gear