sitO 25-Jul-16
tacklebox 25-Jul-16
Matt Palmquist 25-Jul-16
tacklebox 26-Jul-16
Matt Palmquist 26-Jul-16
sitO 26-Jul-16
EmbryOklahoma 26-Jul-16
24-Jul-16
First year I'm going after some Kansas antelope. I'm just looking for any helpful advice or tips. Never hunted the animal before, have been told by locals of North Central Kansas general area to look but that is about all I got. Appreciate any advice.

25-Jul-16
Hunt hard! Kansas lopes have seen every decoy and setup there is. You might focus on fence crossings and set up a blind. If you are fortunate to scout an area a few days before season and discover several fence crossings you might pick the best one to hunt and on the others simply tie some small twine between the bottom barbed wire and the ground. They will use the one crossing in a short time. If it is dry and there are not too many water sources hunt water.

25-Jul-16
I appreciate it flatlander I'll try that out. Any suggestions on counties or near certain towns?

25-Jul-16
Not that many goats in KS. Suggest Logan and Wallace counties.

25-Jul-16
10yrs ago there were a handful of folks chasing them, but in the last five yrs I've seen as many as 12 guys in one 5 sq/mi area. You can get some permission, but so will all of those other guys and for the same properties.

Now X-guns are legal, so you'll have the gun-"hunters" to compete with as well.

There are only around 2k Pronghorn in KS, and spread out over the entire western 1/3 of the state.

I'd look at CO, NE, SD, or WY for better odds...but it can be done in KS.

25-Jul-16
Kyle, you sir are slipping....

25-Jul-16
He Is always much friendlier when it comes to pronghorn than WT deer with 'failure piles':)

Do a search on here as I know Kyle and I have both answered this question before.

Hunt hard, cover lots of ground, crawl through lots of cactus and grassy sandbur and then make the shot count when you finally get one to charge:)

You can kill them over water, etc, but Decoy is your best bet. As Kyle pointed out there are very few antelope and there are lots of water sources in KS.

Wallace county has the most animals by far in the NW part of the state.

Matt

26-Jul-16
Matt.... ya, I was expecting his line about how there are no antelope in KS... He kindly pointed out "Pronghorn" was used in the title so....

26-Jul-16
True....I forgot about the 'antelope' response from a previous thread;)

One thing I didn't mention is that I will echo Kyle in that if killing a pronghorn is important I would keep driving west. If hunting them is the only goal then you may as well give it a go in KS.

Good luck!!

Matt

26-Jul-16
Don't try to trick anyone into thinking I'm nice you SOB's!

26-Jul-16
Kyle, nice!? Lol

• Sitka Gear