Wood 27-Jul-16
Ridge Rock 30-Jul-16
tradmt 31-Jul-16
buickman 27-Apr-18
buickman 27-Apr-18
T Mac 27-Apr-18
BTM 28-Apr-18
25-Jul-16
Am thinking about a new release and recalled trying a Winn years ago and really liking it. If I remember, it made the draw weight feel 10+ pounds less. I see you can still buy them new. Anyone here using one and recommend them for hunting?

Also, I use a D-Loop so I'd need the hook model if I understand it correctly, unless the jaw version can work with the loop.

Would love to hear any thoughts. Thanks!

25-Jul-16
I use standard one with a loop and don't have any problems. Just a little slower.

25-Jul-16
I still use the Winn Free Flight release. I've been using it since 1994. I just have my D-Loop made slightly bigger. But i am thinking of upgrade to the hook.

Update us if you end up hook/jaw version. Would like to know if you like it or not.

25-Jul-16
All I've ever used, and likely will. This Remind me to pick up another one in case they stop making them. I use the hook, for the d loop. And yes, it does make a difference in how draw weight feels. I think it has to do with the surface area that is in contact with the hand/wrist. You can draw using mostly wrist, or like myself, pull more of weight using the middle, ring,pinky fingers, plus some wrist. Really spreads the draw weight throughout and hence feels like like a lighter pull.

25-Jul-16

Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo
Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo

These 2 heads are for sale. One is brand new and the other is used in excellent condition. If interested, send me a PM. Wrist straps can be purchased from Winn-Free.

25-Jul-16
I have both a C-10 and a loop version. I used them for years. I liked the pull but is a little bulky in the hand when not using it. I would consider parting with them.

25-Jul-16
What he said ^^^

25-Jul-16
The strap does work and does reduce the "feel" of the poundage pulled.

25-Jul-16
I started shooting them back in the 90's. I have tried other releases but I always go back to my Winn. I use the hook style now with a D loop. I don't see myself changing any time soon.

25-Jul-16
Been shooting them since 1988. Have three of them. 2 are the newer style open for a loop. My oldest one I modified to use with a. String loop by cutting some of the metal away on the hook.

I hunt exclusively with them and love them. Our club won the team target state championship a couple years in a row with us all shooting them. We shot bowhunters class and used our hunting set ups to shoot target. This was back in the late 80s early 90s. God I miss those days good times had by all.

26-Jul-16
I still use the loop hook model but with the older one piece mechanism without the swivel in the middle. Came within about a half inch of winning the 80 yard shoot off over the weekend (about 3/4" over the Bigfoot X ring at 12 oclock)to a guy that shoots pro class most of the time.

26-Jul-16
Before and after rotator cuff surgery I used my wife's a little tight but a hell of a lot of difference in ease of pull I am considering sticking with it Lewis

26-Jul-16
I think I've had the same one since the mid 80s. I bought their caliper version once and returned it. I could never use another one. I absolutely HATE wrist straps. Don't like t-handle at all either. So I started using a Winns specifically because of the way you grip it. But I was young then too.

As I got older and my shoulders went to crap I realized the other benefits. Down the road when I was outfitting I had tons of older clients with shoulder problems and I recommended it to them. They all bought one and got back to me to tell me how much they loved it because not only did it eliminate or at least reduce the pain but also they didn't have to lower their draw weight. There's no question you can comfortably draw more weight with a Winns.

The last thing worth mentioning is how short the actual release part is. I can't imagine how people can use those wrist strap designs where the thing sticks out way beyond their fingers. To the point of even having to buy shorter draw length bows.

Winns Free Flight for life for me.

26-Jul-16
Good stuff, thanks guys. Glad to hear that the majority love and use them. I will give one a try!

Does the newer style with the swivel make a lot of difference?

26-Jul-16
SteveB I have short fingers and it's easier for me to reach the trigger with the old (no longer available) model.

26-Jul-16
As stupid as this sounds I actually trigger the winn with my middle finger. By putting my index finger on the inside of the hook I anchor with the first knuckle of my index finger under my jaw. I start my. Release by curling my pinky finger which pulls my next two fingers triggering the release. Similar to a back tension release.

I will bet I have shot as many arrows with the winn as anyone and this was a game changer for me. I have helped other friends overcome punching the release with this unorthodox meathod. A lot of guys set them up to be a hair trigger. I always kept mine pretty heavy and pulled through the shot better.

Good luck and shoot straight.

26-Jul-16
I like it. I didn't like the loop model as it kept sticking. No problem getting the regular one one your loop with a little practice. Definitely helps with the draw for us old guys. Thanks to Xman for one for one of his tips that has me shooting better. Hand position.

26-Jul-16
"I still use the loop hook model but with the older one piece mechanism without the swivel in the middle."

Same here, Wood. I have four that I hope to be shooting to the end.

26-Jul-16
I have been using mine for many years for hunting. I think it really does reduce the perceived draw weight, and it reduces draw length the least of any release (I have a very draw length so any extra I can get is helpful. The down side is that the release head doesn't flip away from the palm and so is often in the way of other things, and the head has only a limited range to civil so sometimes I wish the trigger and my finger aligned better. I shoot the c-10 version with a loop. It is simple to put my bow arm index finger against the arrow on the shelf to stabilize it, then clip the head to my loop without pushing the nock forward off the string

27-Jul-16
brianhood... I like it!

27-Jul-16
brianhood.......can you post a picture of what you describe?

27-Jul-16
I have been using the C12 version (relaxed finger) since the 80's, when I decided to switch from fingers to mechanical release. I thought the relaxed finger would be an easier transition from fingers to mechanical. I have tried several different pull trigger releases including back tension thru the years, and didn't care for any of them. Target panic is no problem with the relaxed finger. I have 4 C12 releases for backup now, they no longer make them. For the D loop version, I machined the 2 front prongs off the older style. The Winn Free C12 will be with me till the end.

27-Jul-16
Steve

It is very simple. Put the release on your loop draw your bow and anchor. Put your middle finger on the trigger and move your index finger to your face side of the hook. The head of the release will be between your index and middle finger.

27-Jul-16

Wood's embedded Photo
Wood's embedded Photo
brianhood, something I might try. Here's another idea some might want to experiment with. Replace the screw that holds the mechanism to the glove with a longer screw and a bushing to make sort of a thumb button. Just built this yesterday and still playing with it. Not sure if it will help or not.

27-Jul-16
Ridge Rock, They are now making the C-12 relax trigger version again and a loop hook relax trigger. I just ordered one off their web site. (Yes you can now order them directly from Winn Archery) Any tips on shooting the relax trigger version?

30-Jul-16
Wood, the last c-12 release I purchased was from Winn Archery, maybe 5 - 6 years ago. It is good to know they are still manufacturing a good thing. As for tips on shooting the release, I don't know of any other than I am more comfortable using the relaxed trigger than the pull trigger type.

31-Jul-16
Loved them when I shot compounds.

27-Apr-18
buffalo 1 do still have the hook style heads for sale?

27-Apr-18
buffalo 1 do still have the hook style heads for sale?

27-Apr-18
Love mine been using it for years and see no reason to switch

28-Apr-18
"I still use the loop hook model but with the older one piece mechanism without the swivel in the middle."

Same here. That's all I've used since I injured my wrist 20 years ago and could no longer use a wrist strap release. I have three Winns; they should last me until the ol' dirt nap.

• Sitka Gear