drycreek 11-Aug-16
2bitgreenhorn 27-Aug-16
Bigdan 27-Aug-16
bb 27-Aug-16
x-man 27-Aug-16
David A. 28-Aug-16
VARon 28-Aug-16
03-Aug-16
Apparently I am one of the few hold outs resisting going to a D loop. I just like having the connection with the bow string using a cushion button, especially for hunting purposes.

I have bought many releases over the years but none have I liked as much as this cheap old Cobra release that is probably 20 years old! That release seemed to have a little wider calipers on it and I never ever had a problem with servings wearing out. All of the releases I have looked at to replace it seem to have narrow caliper jaws that pinch the string. They seem to all be designed for use with a D loop. Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer making a release specifically designed to attach directly to the bow string? Thanks!

03-Aug-16
A Winn Free Flight might be a good choice to check out.

03-Aug-16
I was not aware of a D loop being required for any release. And do u mean kisser button ? As for releases I had great use from many Truefires and the other one I liked the name eludes me , yet I payed over a 100$ for each, they where sweet too , I gave them to another Bowsiter here a few yrs ago.

03-Aug-16

JW's embedded Photo
JW's embedded Photo
I always used some kind of rope release when I didn't use a loop. Easier on your servings than a caliper and very forgiving. Takes a little practice to get hooked up to the string quickly, but it can be done.

03-Aug-16
been using old gator jaw for years, will not die

not even sure if they are still sold, but it works

03-Aug-16
I looked at the Winn a few years back and I think I will look again. I like the dual opening calipers in general, but maybe they make a Winn that opens that way now? I just saw a Gator Jaw on Ebay for short money... I think I may pick it up as the design of grabbing above and below the arrow is pretty interesting...

03-Aug-16
Hot shot nano, carter 2 shot, scoot itty bitty goose ect ect

03-Aug-16
Only time I had a string blow up on me was when I wasn't using d-loop and string was going bad below serving and I didn't see it in time. String breaks on draw will have one's attention!

03-Aug-16
I believe Matt is still shooting sans the loop. Maybe he'll chime in.

03-Aug-16
I would shoot 60x an email and ask about the string material used now, it may not like the short bend radius you'll be putting on it.

04-Aug-16
Shouldn't be a short bend w/ the gator jaws.

04-Aug-16
fletch-matic rope release.I started with that release and a PSE mach 1 in I think 1982.I still shoot that release today!I am a short draw and dont want to give any up to a D loop.Awesome trouble free release!Looks similar to the one JW posted.

04-Aug-16

04-Aug-16
I would just add a loop. There is a reason why they are pretty much standard equipment now.

04-Aug-16
^^X2

04-Aug-16
x3^

04-Aug-16
X4

don't overthink this. just do it.

04-Aug-16
I use a tru fire caliper release. No D-loop. Been shooting this way for yrs. Never had a problem with strings breaking. My strings are custom made and are very heavy duty. I change mine regularly and don't wait for them to show signs of wear.

I did have a loop come apart on me once and that's why I don't use one.

Each to his own. I shoot just fine without a loop.

05-Aug-16
The universal d loop is relatively new and I was thoroughly against them but finally caved (along with drop rests). I had always shot the james greene gator jaw for hunting and a scott mongoose of some sort for 3d.

The gator jaw is nice for letting down, no fear of dropping an arrow while game is near. Which is why it gets my vote. From the sounds of it they can be had pretty cheap, worth a look.

11-Aug-16
I don't know if anyone has suggested it, but you might want to check out the Gator Jaw release by James Greene archery. My friend has used one for about 10 years now and loves it. If I ever go away from D-Loops it is the release I will go with.

11-Aug-16
Another vote for the gator jaw. I have shot one for longer than I can remember.

11-Aug-16
Before I went to a loop, I used a Scott Mongoose. Having said that, I will never go back to shooting straight off the string.

27-Aug-16
I'm just going to revive this thread because I wanted to share my observations. I have been shooting with the D loop for three weeks now. I just cut it off this morning and added an eliminator button. I use a real high anchor and I am most comfortable anchoring into my jaw. I couldn't really do that with the D loop and line up my peep sight. I felt really uncomfortable like I really had no anchor point with the D Loop. I am shooting a Martin Xenon that has a 34" axle/axle width. The pinch doesn't seem too bad so I am going to see how this works...

27-Aug-16

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Here is mine Its a pinky model been shooting it for 30 years

27-Aug-16
I use the Winn Free Flight, I don't use a loop or a cushion between the release and nock.

27-Aug-16
"I'm just going to revive this thread because I wanted to share my observations. I have been shooting with the D loop for three weeks now. I just cut it off this morning and added an eliminator button. I use a real high anchor and I am most comfortable anchoring into my jaw. I couldn't really do that with the D loop and line up my peep sight. I felt really uncomfortable like I really had no anchor point with the D Loop. I am shooting a Martin Xenon that has a 34" axle/axle width. The pinch doesn't seem too bad so I am going to see how this works... "

You can't leave your peep in the same location after switching to a D-Loop. It's important to keep your same anchor(more or less), and move your peep accordingly. Yes, you'll have to re-sight, but that is no big deal.

28-Aug-16
Due to an injury I'm doing some hunting this year with a compound. The TruFire Chicken Wing release works well w/o the D Loop.

28-Aug-16
Tried the D loop a few years ago and didn't like it... went back to directly to the string....use a Scott itty bitty goose.... have never had any trouble with serving or string wear.

• Sitka Gear