stealthycat 28-Aug-16
WV Mountaineer 28-Aug-16
playin' hookey 28-Aug-16
deerman406 28-Aug-16
Fuzzy 30-Aug-16
Grubby 16-Sep-16
MichaelArnette 20-Sep-16
09-Aug-16
My 11 year old son has recently shown an interest in traditional archery, he has a compound but really hasn't been too excited about it. I have an old Shakespeare recurve that belonged to my father, I picked up a string for it and dug out some suitable arrows for it and he's been shooting it. He seems to be doing well with it so I am thinking about picking him up something better. I would love some opinions on what I should be looking for and what might suit him best. The kid is already 5'9" 175lbs and I'm sure he's not done growing yet. The Shakespeare is 45# and he has no trouble with that so he should be able to start with something hunting weight.

09-Aug-16
More important than the bow is a mentor or local coach who can teach him correct form, etc..

As far as a bow, the Samick's are affordable, very shootable, and offer inexpensive interchangeable limbs as he develops his back muscles enough to increase draw weight.

09-Aug-16
I don't think we are going to find that.....we are near the end of the earth. How about a video or book? His form looks good to me but I have never shot traditional equipment. He is shooting 3 under and was whacking a soccer ball consistently out to about 12 yards.

09-Aug-16
I'll check out the samicks, thanks For the record....the kid can rock a fedora!!

09-Aug-16
Grubby,your son is big but don't push the weight till he establishes some really good for.45# is good for any deer with a decent weight arrow.Don't go too short in length either,probably 58" plus.

Check out moebow's videos on youtube.Masters of the Bare Bow 3 vol series is also good.

09-Aug-16
He's a giant! Wow! Good luck he'll likely be getting a full ride to college for football:)

09-Aug-16
Totally agree on not getting carried away with the draw weight. Draw weight between recurves and compounds are completely different beasts!!!! Too much on a recurve will destroy his shooting! Do not exceed 50# at this point!!!

I would dare say, probably at least 50% of traditional archers shoot 50#'s or less! That will easily kill anything whitetail size and smaller.

09-Aug-16
You can get a Samick Sage with a warranty for less than $150 shipped and it's a decent bow. Lots of good used bows on the Leatherwall classifieds too. My kid is 11 and has been shooting recurves and longbows since he was 4. He wants to hunt but can't quite pull enough weight yet and has zero interest in compounds.

09-Aug-16
Nothing wrong with what he has, let him stay with it until he is hooked and then get him a new bow. Plenty of bows out there, go to the leatherwall classifieds and check out all the bows for sale, some excellent bows for sale there. Maybe the old man ought to switch over to trad and really make the son excited about archery.

09-Aug-16
I shoot a Fedora recurve 45# and under 25 yards have got passthroughs on deer. Sharp broadhead and 45# bow are more than enough for deer.

--Mitch

09-Aug-16
The Samick is a good bow. I'd also recommend staying with #45. It's enough for hunting deer and giving him too much poundage to deal with is going to be the number one cause of bad habits.

09-Aug-16
Good advise above. You might take a look at the web site for Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. They have a huge selection of used traditional bows both production and custom. Too much weight usually leads to poor form and bad habits.

The Sage is hard to beat for value. Heavier or lighter limbs are inexpensive and they are good shooters.

09-Aug-16
I started off shooting my grandfather's recurve bow (which I now own), and progressed from there. Compound came to me after years of being out of practice with a recurve. I really wanted to hunt, but didn't trust myself to make ethical kills with a recurve anymore. And so I switched to compound. I can relate though, I bought my 8 year old daughter a bow and she only used a couple times. She says that its too hard. I am not sure (most) young kids have the capacity to really put in the work it takes to be good with a bow.

09-Aug-16
If that Shakespeare is in good working order I would just stick with that myself, other than that maybe he can try some out if there are any in your area. Bows are a personal fit thing and some guys may rave about one kind of bow while others think it's junk.

09-Aug-16
Thanks for the input guys! Ill get him watching some video.

I have seriously considered taking up trad myself and this might be a good reason!

09-Aug-16
rick welches accuracy factory is a good DVD, its got a fool proof system to use.

09-Aug-16
I'm strictly trad...favoring the longbow. I picked up a Sammick Sage last summer for my wife...35lb at 28". She draws 28. Anyway, it's a good bang for the buck and even better with a GOOD string. I dumped the stock and replaced it with one of my "skinny" strings...WOW!

Start light, as stated mechanics are everything. Lots of good videos on YouTube. IF you can get to a trad shoot, you'll find lots of helpful guys.

Warning...trad is addictive...and just plain fun.

10-Aug-16
The Samick is a good bow, but not really a step up necessarily from the Shakespeare he's already shooting. There are some big trad shoots back East, my advice is keep him shooting what he has and try to go to one of those shoots. There will be vendors galore and a lot of bows to try and probably some shooting clinics, the right bow will pick him! And unless you are having a custom bow made, there's no reason to buy a new bow, one bowyer I know of, pretty famous one too, I wouldn't buy one of his bows new! I want one of his bows that's used, if it has been around a while and hasn't blown up, it's a good one! Not that a lot of his bows break, but once in a while!

10-Aug-16
Get him what he needs to hunt with the bow he is using , 45 is fine for deer, If he is doing good why change . He may want a new one and u may but try that after the season not just before.

10-Aug-16
Listen to Jaquomo. I started off with recurves, went to compounds, then back to a longbow then a recurve.

Form is actually a martial art. A good coach and mentor is everything. Bad form habits can be difficult to break. If he gets good with a recurve the switch to compounds is child's play.

10-Aug-16
45# IS hunting weight. Get him some well matched arrows and good 2 blade broadheads

10-Aug-16
G Fred Asbell's "Instinctive Shooting" is a good starter book.

Trad Archers are actually more plentiful at the "ends" of the Earth, than at the center ;)

10-Aug-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Big Kid, old 50# bow (Redwing Hunter)

10-Aug-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Big Kid, old 50# bow (Redwing Hunter)

10-Aug-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
same Big Kid, old 45# bow (Shakespeare Necedah)

10-Aug-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo
same kid, with old fart, and an old 60# recurve :)

10-Aug-16
I started with a 45# ben pearson spoiler hunted with it till I was 16 then bought a 50# bear recurve used that into the 80's...I still usually use a bow between 50# and 65#.

samick, greatree all make good affordable bows, I'd stay on the lighter side as mentioned. 45# is fine, He's big enough he should have a decent draw length.

Body size alone really isn't a good measure to use to determine draw weight.

10-Aug-16
That's great fuzzy!!

10-Aug-16
Look for a good used bow around 45 to 50 #s. You need no more then that to kill anything in NA. Lots of nice bows on the Leatherwall classifieds. Shawn

10-Aug-16
I'd have look at ILF bows. Interchangeable limbs make it a better option than the interchangeable Sage or Samick options.

You can pick up used for about the same price as those, but a better limb. New you can get limbs for 100 bucks or 1000+, and they'll fit any ILF riser from Hoyt to Italian to Irish. It's what all the Olympic guys shoot.

Bowmania

10-Aug-16
You have gotten some advice here. Listen to the guys saying master the one he has before buying him another one. It is plenty of weight. Shakespeare's are as good as any made. no need to upgrade until he develops. If you do that, he'll be pinging that soccer ball with that old Shakespeare, at 35 yards before long. Good luck and God Bless

10-Aug-16
Begin the journey together......

10-Aug-16
I wouldn't go over 50lbs...45 is definitely hunting weight and a very effective set up, 58"-62" are good hunting lengths and will give him good stability for accuracy. Like others mentioned there are some really good deals in the classifieds on leatherwall!

11-Aug-16
Don't get Fred Asbells book!!! Unless it's to read his tremendous stories and ignore his shooting tips!

11-Aug-16
11 years old, 5'9" and 175 lbs? Jesus Christ! What are you feeding him? Steer balls in HGH gravy?

11-Aug-16
Hi there, approach coach first for him.

11-Aug-16
I'd drop down 5# and protect his shoulders. Get him into football. He can hunt after his college and pro careers. ;-)

45# is about perfect.

11-Aug-16
Go to youtube and view a video called "The Push" - a very nice intro to trad archery.

I started with a 45 pound recurve over 40 years ago and continue to shoot trad to this day. My only advice is to be sure he understands he will most likely need to be within 20 yards for hunting. You get to watch a lot of nice animals stroll by unharmed . . . which understandably isn't easy for a lot of folks, especially young folks.

11-Aug-16
He can continue with the Shakespeare for now, I think for Christmas he (and maybe me) will get a new one . Football starts next week so he will be busy with that.

I really do appreciate all the advice.

I'll see if I can find a trad shoot to attend somewhere, maybe we will make a road trip!

11-Aug-16
I would also caution you about G. Fred Asbell's book. I'm sure it works for some but that was my book back when I was 13 and figuring out instinctive shooting for myself and I ended up with a bad case of snap-shooting/target panic that I largely credit to his style. I guess my brain just couldn't handle it.

11-Aug-16
best advice is let him shoot with the form that he is comfortable with as long as he is hitting, tennis balls and judo points are fun for smacking around or a swing target also. More changing up targets is more enjoyable for keeping a youth interested. Go over to the Leatherwall for further advise for the stick bow, there are folks that are very knowledgeable. Enjoy the journey it can be addictive.

12-Aug-16
45# is plenty for any deer or bear and ok for elk up close. I shoot 45# and have had pass thrus on my last 5 of 6 deer with shots under 25 yards. Its better to have him start off with lower weight and great shooting form.

28-Aug-16
Well the Shakespeare bought the proverbial farm. The lower limb came apart. I'm sure it's been shot more in the last month than in the previous 40? Years put together.

28-Aug-16
everybody that's every bowhunted started out using real bows and arrows until about 40 years ago

:)

28-Aug-16
Disregard the 20 yard mantra some of the trad police talk about. It will only suit him if he decides it should. God Bless

28-Aug-16
Sounds like that bow is treating him fine. 45# is certainly plenty to make it lethal on deer. I would add that, with traditional bows, the draw weight is for a specified draw length (most commonly 28 inches) and if the draw length is shorter the weight pulled is lower, usually by 2-3 pounds per inch.

28-Aug-16
I did not read all the posts but read he is whacking a soccer ball at 12 yards. At 10-12 yards he should be shooting a tennis ball size group(ecsp shooting 3 under)at 20 yards a soccer ball group is pretty good but anything under 15 yards should be less then half of that. I would say as big as the kid is, that 45-50#s would be fine and that is all you ever need. I have killed a lot of deer shooting 42-47#s over the years. I will say most bows out there that are sound will last many lifetimes. I would look for a Wing, maybe a wing hunter in say 58"s and 45-50#s with the small limb tips. They will perform with the best out there and can be had for $150 or under. Shawn

30-Aug-16
lol at all the negatives on Asbell's book. If it doesn't work for ya, you're not hurt, just try another method.

I shoot a60# metal handle recurve 3-under "bowhunter" (arrow as aiming point)

and I shoot a 60# Quillian Longhunter longbow Asbell-style....

both have advantages and drawbacks, both work.

16-Sep-16

Grubby's embedded Photo
Grubby's embedded Photo
The new samick showed up today, he really likes it. He was excited! The 35# limbs are nice....immediate form improvement!!

20-Sep-16
That's good form right there! Tell him he should fraught em his wrist slightly and lightly hold the bow using only his thumb and pointer finger...all other fingers should just be superficial. You might have him try using 3 fingers instead of 4...of course at his age it doesn't hurt to just have fun shooting.

• Sitka Gear