g5smoke21 25-Oct-16
Bou'bound 26-Oct-16
Ambush 26-Oct-16
Tatonka 26-Oct-16
coonazz 31-Oct-16
coonazz 31-Oct-16
coonazz 01-Nov-16
17-Aug-16
I'm going on my first (archery) moose hunt to Prince George, BC on 9/30. Just wondering what the typical body and antler sizes are for moose in this area.

17-Aug-16
Big bulls will be around 1000 lbs on the hoof and look to shoot anything you see over 40 inches. If you are taking all the meat home I would make sure you put any bull on the ground. Passing on younger bulls can bite you in rear later in the hunt.

17-Aug-16
Good questions for your outfitter, he should know.

17-Aug-16

Ambush's embedded Photo
Ambush's embedded Photo
The average, bone in, on the hook weight for bulls around here is about 400 pounds. Young bulls, less. Expect about 200 - 250 pounds of butchered meat. Older the bull, the better the meat to bone ratio. I've hung a few small bulls under 200 pounds. Few over five hundred. As for rack size, don't expect too much. Skinner is right about when to shoot.

This bull was about as close to Prince George as you can get without being in city limits.

36 year resident of Prince George and killed more than a few moose.

17-Aug-16
thanks all.

Yes - the outfitter has plenty of pics and stats, but I also wanted another perspective that wasn't selling me something.

Now - just need to figure out how to get all the meat back home to Dallas, TX.

17-Aug-16
From what I experienced in that area, it seems that the bulls have a tendency to grow their horns in a "boxy" way and go up rather than out. So what I am saying is that just because a bull isn't wide, would mean that he isn't mature. Low 40s will probably be a good average. Caveat: It's not usually as easy as you think. Think twice about letting a decent bull walk unless you have lots of time to hunt.

25-Oct-16
deleted.

25-Oct-16
You may want to check out there FB page. If you are the same Tony they are advertising as a "Happy Hunter" with your moose you may need to speak with them!

26-Oct-16
Was that a different approach to the hunt than they described in all the pre-hunt research and conversation with them and your references?

26-Oct-16
Too bad you had to spend ten grand to find out that road hunting isn't much fun, even in BC. That area is hunted hard from the road and year round. I assumed that the guide would get you off the road and into the bush where there are more moose and very few hunters.

I'm happy that you at least got a moose to salvage some of the experience.

26-Oct-16
For about $2,000 more you could have gone further north with one of the outfitters near the Yukon border and had the experience of a lifetime and had an excellent chance at a 50 plus inch bull... that's really too bad that you had such a bad experience. Live and learn, as they say......

31-Oct-16

31-Oct-16
deleted

01-Nov-16
deleted text

• Sitka Gear