1st time Elk 21-Sep-16
priley 22-Sep-16
BULELK1 22-Sep-16
uteangler 22-Sep-16
Woody622 23-Sep-16
Florida Mike 23-Sep-16
Drahthaar 23-Sep-16
19-Aug-16
Got lucky this year with a 2nd archery New Mexico Elk tag. Been able to do a ton of research and study the heck out of the unit. I'm from Utah so the 14 hour drive makes it difficult to scout so I'm planning on going a few days before the hunt to check out some of the areas I've found on google and other research. Finding areas where the roads are not has been my challenge and from what I've read there's almost a road in every canyon, wondering if anyone has any good pointers on how to avoid the crowds in 34? Also any success pics? I'm getting pretty pumped!! Thanks

19-Aug-16
Never hunted unit 34 but a similar NM unit. Embrace the roads if you can't get away from them. Drive after dark and the hours before sun up listening for bugles. Do an occasional location bugle, find elk in the dark and be among them at daybreak. Your not hunting a crowded OTC unit your hunting a very good draw unit. You might bump into others but with roads everywhere the elk are used to it. If they are talking you'll hear bugles a few short minutes after shutting off your vehicle. It's nothing for elk in units like this to cross a well traveled two track road in the daylight. It seams unconventional for elk hunting but embrace the roads and use it to your advantage.

19-Aug-16
Great advice LINK thanks for the reply. Luckily I've been able to hunt elk now for the past 15 years in a row and killing a few really good bulls, this is just my first year in New Mexico! It'll be great seeing some new country!

19-Aug-16

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo
My first NM bull, shot at about 2 steps.

I've hunted it a bunch and a friend lives in the unit. It's my favorite place to Elk hunt. Roads aren't a problem, at all. One of my best spots is right behind a bunch of houses and I've found most of those good spots from Google Earth. Also, with a full moon this year, my experience has been those Elk can't read. They will not be bedded down at first light. In addition, depending where you are, they might only go 1/2 mile to bed and can be patterned pretty well. Not going to tell you where I hunt but most hunters and most Elk are in the center of the unit. They will be actively bugling the first day you get there too.

19-Aug-16
WapitiBob tahnks for the pic and info on the unit! would you suggest an atv? I've heard you can pretty much go where you need to with a truck..

19-Aug-16
Yep, the one place you can get around easily with the truck. I do take mine though, there are a few places it helps; ie muddy or an open trail.

19-Aug-16
Great unit, sadly no deer tag this year. I enjoy all the elk i run into when trying to get a deer. Pm sent.

19-Aug-16
Also, any recommendations on places to camp?

19-Aug-16
I stay at rio penasco rv; showers, laundry, central location in Mayhill.

19-Aug-16
I have been spending a ton of time in 34 this summer after moving to Artesia this spring. There are definitely roads and people everywhere but from what I have seen most people don't get off the roads and those that do stay on the trails.

I have seen some great bulls up there this summer and think you will have a great hunt.

20-Aug-16

priley's Link
seems like i read that wills canyon and aqua chiquita were closed for this mouse

08-278 Closure order for Protection from Recreation Activities of the NM Meadow Jumping Mouse and Riparian Habitats (news release). Maps: All Areas - Upper Rio Penasco - Upper Wills Canyon - Upper Agua Chiquita

20-Aug-16
Ive only turkey hunted there, but from what ive seen id say your in for a treat!!!

20-Aug-16
Priley, thanks for that info. It was news to me. Woody, as stated above, get out of the vehicle and cover some country. You'll be just fine and are in for a fantastic time. Do a search on Lincoln national forest, there are several campgrounds, it seems like a couple of them are seasonal though. They're all pretty convenient. There are other areas also, but that'll give you a starting point.

20-Aug-16
Woody622. A friend of mine and his two sons GUN hunted 34 two years ago. They killed a 340,350 and a 384 bull. There are some real giants there. Good luck

20-Aug-16
To say we're excited is an understatement. We realize the potential of this unit and with a little extra effort hope our hard work pays off. Never a guarantee with a bow in hand and that's exactly why we do it!

22-Aug-16
Another question... What is the weather like on 34 the last couple weeks of September. It looks like it gets quite a bit of rain in aug and sept, do the temps drop pretty good as well? When I think of southern NM I think dry and hot...

22-Aug-16
Hunted Unit 34 2nd Archery season in 2014 and 2015.

Weather? Who knows.... 2014 it rained 11 inches during the 8 days I was there. Not cold at all... just REALLY wet. 2015 it was 80-85 degrees all week. So I'd guess somewhere in between.

My son drew a Unit 34 rifle tag this year, so I'll be there in October with him. Can't wait.

Hope you have a great hunt... I don't have a lot of experience anywhere else to compare it to, but I'm sure you'll have a blast.

23-Aug-16
They should be screaming good the first week of october for the youth hunt...

09-Sep-16
Anybody hunting or been on 34 since the 1st archery started? Wondering how its going down there?

09-Sep-16
I was up there last weekend and can tell you it was really quite! There was a ton of people up there camping and running around on razors for the labor day weekend.

We glassed up a lot of elk early in the morning and for the most part most of the bulls were still hanging out together but we did find two herds with big herd bulls(340-350). They were not chasing cows by any means. I would think by the second season they should be really heated up!

09-Sep-16
I am going on my first elk hunt in this unit. Hunting with an outfitter though, heading up on the 17th. First time putting in for any elk draw, and I drew a tag! Good luck on your hunt Woody.

12-Sep-16
Very nice ColoBowman, you just got me pumped up! I've heard from a few land owners down there that they have started talking, but not necessarily coming into calls yet.. We just need them to be a little vocal and it should be all good :)

12-Sep-16
one last question i promise :)... how is the cell service in 34? i have verizon..

12-Sep-16
It's spotty. Several places have great service. Others have none. I'm headed that way right now!!!!

13-Sep-16

FISHSPY's embedded Photo
FISHSPY's embedded Photo
Sent you a private PM killed this bull in 34 2nd season last year and have hunted the unit many times

13-Sep-16
best cell service is on top of prestige hill right on top between wills and hay canyons

19-Sep-16

Woody622's embedded Photo
Thanks to everyone who helped out on this hunt. It didn't last too long... 15 mins into the opener this warrior came into the calls...

19-Sep-16
Congrats! Really hope to draw 34 someday

19-Sep-16
Well done! Give us more of a story when you have time.

20-Sep-16
I'd love to hear the story on that bull.

20-Sep-16
awesome bull

20-Sep-16

We arrived in unit 34 on wednesday night(the night before the opener) and set up camp and had a quick dinner. As we were eating we had screaming bulls all around us. Our plan was to go out that evening to find out where we would like to go in the morning, but because of the activity all around us we chose to hang tight and call and see if we could get any of the bulls to come into us. Within a few mins we were able to call out some cows into a meadow near camp and the bull (320" type) came out following them. It was pretty exciting to see elk right from camp and we knew we'd have a fun hunt!

Most the night the bulls were going pretty hard and there was a deep growler bugle right above us that we knew we wanted to go after in the morning. About a half hour before dark we left camp to hike up above where we heard the deep growler last. We were able to get into an opening and I let off a locate bugle, instantly the deep growler sounded off, he was to our north west and the wind was going right to him so we decided to work our way around the mountain to the east to get a better wind. At around 7:00am we got to a small ravine and starting climbing, as we started going in the deep growler screamed right above us not 100 yards away. He had circled around trying to get the wind and luckily we had beat him to it and had the wind in our favor. We climbed the small ravine quietly for about 50 yards. I left my dad in a small opening where he could see 30-40 yards around him, and I went into some thick cover to call. I started breaking branches and let off a few cow calls and that bull screamed instantly. I could tell he wasn't far. I raked a tree and let off another cow call, this time he was right on top of us. I couldn't see my dad because of the thick cover but knew he had to be close. A few seconds went by and then I heard the sound of my dads bow and a WHACK with the sound of the bull running straight down the hill. I let a few cow calls to try and stop him and within a few seconds I heard the sound of the bull crashing to the ground.

I ran over to my dad and gave him a high five and a hug. Even though we knew we heard him crash we still waited 20 mins to go track. We found blood instantly and knew it was a good shot with the bubbles in the blood and blood coming from both sides of the bull. It was a short 75 yard tracking job and we couldn't believe our new mexico adventure was over within 15 minutes of the opener. Couldn't have worked out better! We ended up hanging out one more day after to call some more bulls just for fun before our 14 hour drive back to Utah! Thanks again for everyones great advice and taking time to help us understand the area a little before we got there!

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16

That feeling after you get back to camp...

21-Sep-16
I am hunting muzzleloader in Unit 10 starting October 8th and am curious to know if anyone hunted there for archery this year or hunted muzzleloader or rifle there last year and has any insight.

22-Sep-16
woody622 you suck...

hunting with your dad and a damn good bull on your first hunt in NM...

congrats

22-Sep-16
Sweet!!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

22-Sep-16
Woody, I just finished up day 8. I'm solo. Can you come back over and call for me????

23-Sep-16
Uteangler if I could and it wasn't such a long drive you'd know i'd be there in a heartbeat!! Good luck buddy on the last couple days

23-Sep-16
Congrats Woody!

23-Sep-16
Beautiful bull. Forrest

• Sitka Gear