jstephens61 25-Aug-16
Butcher 26-Aug-16
HANS1 26-Aug-16
Owl 27-Aug-16
WV Mountaineer 27-Aug-16
Candor 29-Aug-16
IKE220 31-Aug-16
24-Aug-16
I'm hitting the road 2am tomorrow morning traveling cross country in pursuit of elk. The very first thing I loaded was my wheeler straped it down and continued on. Since then I've changed the strapes 3 different times. Am I wrong assuming loading the suspension is not a good thing. How do yall tie her down. Show me tell me I don't want to screw anything up. :note I'm a new first time wheeler owner. Thankyou pistolP

24-Aug-16
Don't worry about loading the suspension for 16-24 hours...safety first!

Make sure you have double the straps you think you need and double the "heavy dutiness" that you think you need.

Equally important is to make sure that no straps are over sharp edges of the trailer...to ensure that they don't fray and break on you.

Good luck, have fun on your adventure and report back with pics of you and your bull!

Mark

24-Aug-16
Ya don't want to strap em down too tight. usually two in back and two in front and I try to keep the straps as lateral as possible. Keep an eye on them and check at every stop.

24-Aug-16
Loading the suspension is a good thing, keeps tension thru the trip. Do not trust the just pull straps as they tend to slip. I do 2" ratchet straps for long hauls. I usually have my wife or a friend sit on the back corner to help load the suspension then I start ratcheting. Keeps it good and tight for the whole trip. I have a winch on the front of my atv and I usually engage it and winch the front of the atv down tight with it.

In my truck since there isn't a place to hook the winch in the center I have hooked a chain across the front of the bed from tie down hook to tie down hook, then just hooked the winch hook in the middle and sucked it down.

24-Aug-16

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
I ratchet strap off the frame and load the suspension just a bit.

The tire chocks with straps are pretty slick.

24-Aug-16
I should of clarified it will be in the back of my truck not trailer thank guys

24-Aug-16
Make sure you have at least 4 straps (one each corner) if you are heading into Colorado. It is a law, most do not realize it. In the summers I worked praying weeds as a commercial truck we were required to stop at any hazmat station or truck safety inspection point. THe only thing we ever were written up for was not having 4 strap on any hauled motor vehicle. 2 straps for anything else. In the truck bed might be different, but 4 strap flex the suspension and snug it down with good strong straps.

24-Aug-16
I use one front and one back but four sure couldn't hurt.

24-Aug-16
Wheel chocks and really good ratchet straps. Hauled mine all over the U.S. and Canada, never a problem. Just periodicaly check the straps and especially if you hit a lot of rough road.

I always used four straps-one on each corner.

24-Aug-16
For an ATV in a pickup bed, I always used a strap at each corner and never had any issues. Walked around and checked straps at every stop.

For my bigger ATV on a trailer, I'm pretty obsessive on long trips. Multiple straps at multiple points.

24-Aug-16
yep, ratchet straps on the corners loading the suspension...not those little buckle straps

24-Aug-16
I don't know if it's been said yet, but I don't leave hauled vehicles in gear or in park. It's awfully hard on the tranny.

24-Aug-16
Thanks x-man...didn't know that and I always leave mine in park. My 2 cents worth...ratchet straps only and 4-corner hookup criss crossed front to back

Joe

24-Aug-16
Really? Please explain as I have no idea

24-Aug-16
What about belt driven polaris.

24-Aug-16
Surprised no one has mentioned it yet, but I don't trust those hooks on the ratchet straps when there is suspension involved, if you hit a bump it is too easy for them to unhook when tension comes off. It would be nice if someone made them with safety clips so they couldn't unhook. I've seen a four wheeler disembark from the trailer in my mirror, was not pleasant.

24-Aug-16
I no longer tie my quad down in the truck. I built a quad corral with a 2x8 across the front, held with the vertical grooves in the sides of the bed and a 2x4 down each side, held laterally by notches in the 2x8. Quad can't go anywhere.

24-Aug-16
Stick slinger...they do exist...I just bought a pair on Amazon...$23 for a pair...orange and very wide...good quality.

Joe

25-Aug-16
and put it all the way to the front of the box and a tri fold aluminum ramp,its one piece .good luck

MikeC

25-Aug-16
You have to be careful putting it all the way to the front of the bed of the truck. Its easy to break the back window if it shifts or when loading. I would make sure there is something to prevent the bumper from contacting the window. A board across the top of the bed works.

25-Aug-16
I use 4 straps. The back hooks to the loops in the rear of the bed and go to the back of the front rack. Coming off the front loops going to the front of the back rack. Close the tailgate and you're good to go.

26-Aug-16
Look up Louisiana guard dog. No compression on your suspension and its not coming out. Fits in the receiver hitch of your truck and clamps to the ball on your 4 wheeler. I'll usually throw one strap on the front just in case

26-Aug-16
Don't ask me I have lost 2 actually 2 different occasions. Both times they landed upright and no damage. Really sucks when you get there and it isn't on the trailer.

27-Aug-16
Ratchet straps or rope with trucker's hitch. NO pull straps. 4 points.

Surge upon breaking is more of a concern than a loss, imo. Lots of busted back glass from "secured" quads.

27-Aug-16
Man, just use ratchet straps and secure the 4 wheeler. 4 for long hauls at each corner. Strap them from the atv to a low holding point to engage the suspension. It isn't difficult or something that requires a masters degree in physics or, a task that should take 20 minutes to complete. The key is using a good strap and ratchet it down until the suspension is engaged. That is all the thought required to pull this off successfully. God Bless

29-Aug-16
Just check your straps when you stop for gas. Especially if they are new and haven't stretched yet. Usually good for a few clicks.

31-Aug-16
X2 on Louisiana guard dog.

• Sitka Gear