Thunder Head 26-Aug-16
KJC 26-Aug-16
Chief 419 26-Aug-16
elkstabber 26-Aug-16
hntnbo 26-Aug-16
Beendare 26-Aug-16
drycreek 26-Aug-16
26-Aug-16
When elk hunting some of us have to fly to get there. It's painful but here is what I have learned.

The last time I flew (mule deer in NV two weeks ago) the TSA folks went through my checked bags and took a bunch of stuff. They took about 10 random things like a really cool tactical flashlight (worth good money) and a small really old used pocketknife (worth very little). The problem was that none of it should have been taken. "Taken" might be the wrong word because maybe they didn't do it on purpose but instead just gave the gear to someone else because the TSA people are sloppy. In my bag I found somebody else's protein bars. To be clear none of what they took was supposed to be taken by the TSA folks.

But, I also had a little Ziploc with essentials such as fire starter, matches, water purifying pills, hunting license, and spare bowstring (recurve). They took the Ziploc and I had to buy all of the stuff again. This took valuable hunting time and meant that I couldn't hunt until I went to a hunting license office to buy another copy of my license.

So from now on I'll always bring my optics and all of the important stuff (including license, maps, and anything else that is difficult to buy again) in my carry on bags.

Of course, I've filed a claim with TSA and haven't heard anything yet.

Please share your airline travel tips below so the friendly skies won't hurt so much.

26-Aug-16
Also, from now on I'll photograph my gear before packing it so it will be easier to file a TSA claim.

26-Aug-16
Another reason why I drive now! :)

I hope you have some success with your claim....

>>>>-------->

26-Aug-16
One thing you learn traveling over seas that applys to flying anywhere.

"ALWAYS" keep any important paperwork on your person. Never put anything valuable and hard to replace in your checked baggage if possible. When I fly to hunt my carry on is stuffed with optics, cameras, flahlights and other valuable items.

26-Aug-16
Pack a handgun in your bowcase. Your gear will get where it's supposed to go and no one will mess with it.

26-Aug-16
When traveling, I always put my optics, range finders, cameras, etc. in my carry-on. Any important paperwork, passports, cash, etc. stays in my pockets. The baggage monkeys have been known to steal and bust zippers open when throwing bags. TSA agents helping themselves to your stuff doesn't surprise me in the least.

26-Aug-16
KJC: THAT'S BRILLIANT !!! I've done it and you're right. They did exactly what they were supposed to and nothing more. I just checked and Delta doesn't charge anything additional to handle the gun.

26-Aug-16
The four hunts I've flown to, I claimed my bow as a firearm. It is checeked in a such. It was 30 minutes late arriving one time and United was going nuts because the paper work listed it as a firearm. I took a cooler as a checked bag on a hog hunt. Make sure you put a tag on it identifying it as containing perishable meats with dry ice also include note that if oppened it may leak. They will still screw up when checking it but they don't give you much grief when its in bold and taped to the cooler.

26-Aug-16
A guy just can't throw anything in his bag anymore...thats for sure.

They allow you one lighter.....if they find a couple they take them....thats the kind of stuff we deal with....

I think the most important take away is when you have anything else in your bowcase just assume they won't repack properly...so bow cables ans strings with sharp objects against them is a distinct possibility.

I like the Sitka nomad and my bow is in the bottom in its own soft case.

26-Aug-16
The main reason I will not fly, for any reason. I will not be subjected to that bullshit in any form or fashion. I quit flying several years ago, before it got as bad as it is now. If I can't drive, then I won't go.

Thanks, I feel better now !

• Sitka Gear