Wood 30-Aug-16
LUNG$HOT 30-Aug-16
Tracker 30-Aug-16
lewis 30-Aug-16
David Alford 30-Aug-16
ahunter55 30-Aug-16
Ollie 30-Aug-16
28-Aug-16
Let's bid a fond farewell to Levi and turn our attention to Pete Shepley. If I recall a number of years ago he was on a sheep hunt and in the last hour of the last day he took a 600 yd shot up the mountain he was hunting just to say he took a shot on his sheep hunt. Was this proper and ethical? I don't know. Perhaps a ground squirrel was sunning itself on a rock and the arrow nailed it. Or perhaps a grouse was heading home for the nite and kaboom, no more grouse. I have pondered this shot for a while now:)

28-Aug-16
Pete must be classified as a super stud, since we apparently now give accolades based on far bowhunters can shoot at game rather than how close they can get to it...

28-Aug-16
Pete Shepley is a very successful businessman and marketer.

He is full of baloney on a lot of things related to bow shooting and bow hunting though.....

28-Aug-16
Hey Pete Shepley is an amazing guy....

....but he is now like one of those great athletes that refuses to retire.

28-Aug-16
where do you guys find the time?

28-Aug-16

28-Aug-16
"....but he is now like one of those great athletes that refuses to retire."

#brettfavreofbowhunting

28-Aug-16
Yeah, sit on your couch watching TV, than go on the internet and bitch about people who have spent a lifetime dedicated to bowhunting. Pathetic.

28-Aug-16
Pete shepley dont bother me much, so i dont bother him much.

Is there a bow that can shoot an arrow 600yds up? Thats a looooong way.

28-Aug-16
A PSE missed??

28-Aug-16

ahunter55's embedded Photo
Pete Shepley, I knew & competed against him b/4 he was PSE in Ill.. I believe he shot a Dicky Roberts Recurve back then. HE "WAS" an awesome shooter then & even though many years older than most of you, still is.. I'm guessing he can put many to shame. Yes, even I was capable of an indoor 300 round & near perfect Field rounds back in those early RECURVE,FINGER days. Now, with all the trinkets, no, not for me anyway & yes, age takes it's toll. I cannot imagine not getting ready for Deer season & the last few years, even competing again. Yes, many things I cannot do because of bad knees & maybe sight isn't what we would like BUT, I still love the sport. Next time you see an old guy out there shooting or hunting, remember, he's probably done & accomplished everything you younger ones are still dreaming of.. My archery/bowhunting is even more rewarding since I have Adult Children & G-kids to share these events with now. How many of you break 500 on the Field round or have even shot one (10 through 80 yds 112 arrows in a day)? I see 70 age guys doing it on a regular basis.. Pete was a thinker & sometimes "modified" other ideas (he spent time in court on occasion). Regardless, he IS one of the legends that "changed" archery in the mid 70s. Vanes, releases & compounds came into our sport. I could write a book on things we endured getting to the tackle of today. Don't knock the "old" guy. I'm getting ready for NFAA National Archery tournament end of Sept. & Deer opener Oct. 1st & I just got back from a DIY, Public land, tent camping Antelope hunt.

28-Aug-16
Don't launch arrows into the sky in the woods. You could injure a good person.

Launch them into the sky in San Francisco.

28-Aug-16
Idyllwildarcher-Washington D.C. would be better. No one would be missed.

28-Aug-16
I've always liked Pete, I started bow hunting in 83'and his videos were great.

28-Aug-16
Taxidermy man X 2. I remember watching some of Shepley's movies from way back when.....they were entertaining, and allowed me to dream......his buffalo bowhunt was especially memorable to me.

28-Aug-16
First "real bow" I had was the Strato Flite Express. Bought it from Basspro mailorder for $100. Shot my first deer with it my senior year in high school.

PSE has been a big name in archery for decades.

29-Aug-16
I think Petes 600 yds shot was with a gun

29-Aug-16
The shot referred to was Pete looking at a sheep WAY too far away on the very last day of his hunt and saying "I'm not going to leave his hunt without loosing an arrow at a sheep" and he flung one, never to be seen again.

Responsible? Ethical? You be the judge.

IMO was done for the camera and seemed kind of dopey.

Carl

29-Aug-16
you guys are bored, bring on the hunting season :)

29-Aug-16

We can only wish we had the thrills he has had in Archery/bowhunting like so many other legends..

30-Aug-16
Back in 2007 there was a thread and utube video of Shepley shooting a Muley at about 100 yards on another forum. video is no longer available.

30-Aug-16
"Don't launch arrows into the sky in the woods. You could injure a good person. Launch them into the sky in San Francisco."

Lmao x1000

30-Aug-16
Another group of guys that have no respect for there elders. But oh well they can do it better so that makes it ok.

30-Aug-16
Oh for Petes sake he he he Lewis

30-Aug-16
Given his knowledge and skills, I'm surprised Shepley didn't do a bit more with recurve development. The PSE trad. line up is pretty mediocre, IMO. Pete could have taken over where Harold Groves left off...I guess he just wasn't that interested.

30-Aug-16
When compounds started taking over in the mid 70s I had 150+ recurves hanging in my shop. We could not give them away & eventually some of the Mfgs. started taking them back & we could replace with their compounds. when the compound craz took over, it came fast & the traditional stuff became a very small percent of Archery & almost not worth having any inventory in it.. I wish I had them now...

30-Aug-16
Ahunter55, you are most correct. I recall going to a local archery shop in Louisville, KY in the late-1970's and they had all of their recurve bows on sale for less than half price! Top of the line models by Bear, Ben Pearson, Browning, etc. Sure wish I had been smart and bought a bunch of them!

• Sitka Gear