Fuzzy 31-Aug-16
Bigfishhunter 31-Aug-16
Ironbow 31-Aug-16
Badlands 31-Aug-16
Woods Walker 31-Aug-16
Mike_Parson 01-Sep-16
Paul@thefort 02-Sep-16
28-Aug-16
maybe this topic has been covered before and I missed it?

Anyways, in the past I've given my old bows to someone interested in the sport, some stick with it, some don't. I know a few people who can't part with their old bows. They buy a new one and will let a newcomer "borrow" it until they buy one of their own. Then they get it back and... what? I don't know...

I just bought a new bow yesterday and I'm in this predicament. Don't necessarily know someone looking to get into bow hunting, nor do I have a need for it. My kid's are way too young for a full size bow, so I'm thinking of selling it.

I'm definitely a hoarder when it comes to everything else, and I tend to be sentimental about stuff, by why not my bows? I mean, I've shot some nice bucks with them, missed some bigger ones, and had a ton of memories with them. Why do I feel like one bow is enough? What are you guys doing with your old ones?

28-Aug-16
I have passed them on to someone else. Relative when suitable. Teens are a good choice. If you High School has an archery program a good place to look or local sport shop or club..

28-Aug-16
Sell them. Not many lefties to give them to.

28-Aug-16
I've given them to beginners and Used my last one for bow fishing

28-Aug-16
I gave my last two to beginners who needed one.

28-Aug-16
Either sell them or give them to beginning archers.

28-Aug-16
I always used to keep one for a back up, now I sell them as I shoot both compound and recurve and use them as a back up. Shawn

28-Aug-16
Keep them! They still shoot as well as they ever did (now ME on the other hand is a different story!), and they are virtually the same as any new bow I may get.

Besides, I rarely ever buy a "new" bow. Most of the ones I get are as old or older than the ones I already have.

28-Aug-16
I have two Mathews Custom Safari bows. Together, they have killed every big game animal in North America. Unfortunately, they are not only 15+ years old, they are also 43+" axle to axle and have a draw weight of 100 pounds. However, they can be turned down to about 80 pounds. You'd need about a 29"-30" draw length for these bows to fit you, but if anyone is interested, they are yours for the cost of the postage....one or both. You can get the same KE with a newer bow that only has a 75#-80# draw weight.....but at least the price is right.....and you'd even have a back up bow (as well as a third bow if you cannabalized parts from both bows to keep one of the two original bows functioning).

29-Aug-16
I sold two of my old bows and gave two away to a friend and cousin that wanted to start hunting. I probably would have given the other two away to folks that wanted to start hunting if I knew someone close by me. If they are worth something,(less than 10 years old) put them on ArcheryTalk or eBay, they will sell quick, if not bring them to your local archery club, they will use them for teaching archery to adults.

29-Aug-16
A buddy gets 1-2 new bows every year. He likes to try out the newest models.

He occasionally gives them away. He keeps them under his name in case service is needed.

His only caveat is that they can not be sold. If you don't need them any longer, you have to give them away to someone just getting into archery or a student too poor for a nice bow.

29-Aug-16

stagetek's embedded Photo
stagetek's embedded Photo
I kept these way too long. I couldn't even give them away, so I had to throw them away.

29-Aug-16
Gave all but two away. Most were to entry level hunters.

29-Aug-16
Gave one to a guy that I worked with because his son wanted to get into archery. I gave him a Hoyt that had a complete set up, arrows, broad heads, case and release for $50.

2nd bow went to my ex S-I-L for a Christmas present. Same stuff as the first bow.

3rd bow (Mathews MQ1) went to one of my grandsons to get him into archery.

4th bow (Bowtec Fuel) that I won at the last CBA banquet went to my other grandson.

So, now I have a compound (Hoyt AlphaMax 32) and a Pronghorn bow (zebra wood limbs and risers) that I won at the CBA banquet three years ago. My son is still trying to get me to give him the Pronghorn.

29-Aug-16
Why not hunt with them? Might be fun to reminisce and actually see the arrow in flight!

30-Aug-16
Primary and backup. Then give the rest to someone wanting to learn. I have a couple of really old bows screwed to the wall in my garage as decorations (like the old Bear Whitetail II).

They make good examples to my kids to explain cars, boats, and negative appreciation.

30-Aug-16
Sold one at a reasonable and fair price to buddy. Then I kept one for a back up.

31-Aug-16
Convert to carp shooting bows. If you drop them in the water or they rust, you are not out the same as a new one.

31-Aug-16
My current bow is an 07 model. The one before that was my first that my dad bought me when I was 12, I won't get rid of it. My bows are like my vehicles, by the time I get a new one the old one is ready for retirement.

31-Aug-16
Give them to a young person that is interested in shooting a bow or bow hunting. Forrest

31-Aug-16
I usually sell them fully setup.

When I bought my first Mathews MQ1 I sold my Hoyt all setup for 100.00

Then when I bought a Legacy I sold my Mq1 for 400.00

Then I bought a Creed which was used (7 months old) completely setup for 1000.00 and sold my Legacy for 350.00.

I don't have a backup since I only had a bow go down one time in 40 years of bowhunting and had it fixed the same day.

I live in Ohio so if I were to need a backup bow my wife and daughter both own a crossbow and I could always use that for a day or two I guess?

Or we usually have someone taking a day off in camp and could borrow their bow if needed (if it fit)?

31-Aug-16
Sold some, and passed some on to others. Several I keep and use for demo when teaching the NBEF/IBEP Bowhunter Ed course.

31-Aug-16
what old bow,,,I still absolutely love my rival pro! I'm just getting old cause I tried all the new stuff for the past few years and I just can't find anything I like more... new bows are much faster but they just don't feel as good in my hand being so small and have that personality which has nothing to do with speed,,, 3/4" LW feathers with big fixed blades ah man I'm getting myself worked up again...

always have my eye out for another Rival Pro or original Conquest 50/60 @27.5 with original wood handles still on it, hint hint 8^)

31-Aug-16
My problem is I hunt with them too long and then they aren't worth much when I want to get rid of them. With the cost of shipping one, it's barely worth getting rid of them. Might as well give them away. I had to practically give away a Hoyt Maxxis 35 last winter, and I couldn't get rid of a Hoyt Vectrix XL. So I still use it for a backup.

31-Aug-16
shoot them and hunt with them

31-Aug-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

31-Aug-16

Fuzzy's embedded Photo
Fuzzy's embedded Photo

31-Aug-16
06 Tribute - still shooting well - why get a new one?

BTW, anyone know where I can get still get the speed mods?

31-Aug-16
For any of you guys that have old bows you can't give away, I will be happy to take them off your hands!

31-Aug-16
I'm surprised I haven't heard anybody mention turning it into a bow fishing rig yet. I haven't bow fished, but I think that would be a great use for them.

31-Aug-16
One of the reasons why I keep my old bows is that they are worth MORE than what I paid for them.

Other than my home, they're probably the only things I have that don't depreciate in value.

01-Sep-16
I am looking for cheep or free bows or equipment to use for a youth archery class. I have a group of kids at the local state youth home that would love to learn about the sport and maybe even do a shooting league if i can find the gear to help get them started. my funds are short but maybe i can work some deals out with anyone looking to help some underprivileged kids get a start. feel free to PM me if you have anything you can help us out with.

02-Sep-16
I had a drawing for youth at a recent CBA banquet for my old compound bow that I killed the Colorado Big Eight big game species with. The Oregon bow, arrows, quiver, release, case.

The smile on the face of the young winner was payback and I knew I had done the right thing passing it on.

my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear