Sitka Gear
How much rain does it take to germinate?
Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Mountaineer 18-Sep-16
Mountaineer 18-Sep-16
woodstick 18-Sep-16
Mountaineer 18-Sep-16
Mountaineer 18-Sep-16
Mountaineer 23-Sep-16
Mountaineer 23-Sep-16
MDW 24-Sep-16
18-Sep-16
Have waited on planting 6 acres until rain was certain. Finally got it all planted, fertilized & disced in yesterday.

The rain finally came today (first time in weeks). Plots were disced in between 1-2" and we got maybe 0.25+ inches of rain.

Is that enough? It's my first year of major plots this size and I waited as long as I could and just wondering if this is gonna work.

3 acres Eagle Broadside 1.5 acres Whitetail Institute Oats Plus + Eagle Austrian Winter Peas ~0.75 acre chufa

Thanks in advance for your insights,

Mountaineer

18-Sep-16
Thanks Tools. That gives me some comfort. I just found a NOAA website that says I got between 0.50-0.75" which would be nice to believe.

Now I'm thinking about your next point regarding what happens next. Did some preliminary math.... Ever hear of anybody using their sprayer to apply water in a drought. I have a 150 gal sprayer and "only" ~6 acres to cover. Could 2 passes really make a difference?

18-Sep-16
27154 gallons per inch acre. You'd need 41000 gallons to equal a 1/4" on 6 acres. I'm in southern WV and weve had rain all day here, 1st rain in weeks. We usually get some rain this time off year and the heavy dew helps. You should be fine, better if we get some tropical storms.

18-Sep-16
Thanks Tools. That gives me some comfort. I just found a NOAA website that says I got between 0.50-0.75" which would be nice to believe.

Now I'm thinking about your next point regarding what happens next. Did some preliminary math.... Ever hear of anybody using their sprayer to apply water in a drought. I have a 150 gal sprayer and "only" ~6 acres to cover. Could 2 passes really make a difference?

18-Sep-16
Yeah, that's not gonna help then. Haha.

Thanks wood.

23-Sep-16
Yeah, that's not gonna help then. Haha.

Thanks wood.

23-Sep-16

24-Sep-16
Like stated above, germination is not the problem, sustaining it is. Over the years, I spent considerable time and money trying to establish a plot. Finally figured out that i was trying to grow my plot in a sand pile basically. About a foot down is a layer of sandstone and when it dries out in mid summer, NOTHING can be made to grow there. ANSWER; Mid September I work it and broadcast wheat. It is the only green thing in miles. Deer flock into it.

• Sitka Gear