snapcrackpop 22-Sep-16
EJG 22-Sep-16
RedOctober 22-Sep-16
Scrappy 22-Sep-16
dm/wolfskin 22-Sep-16
19-Sep-16
Score Me
Score Me
I'd like to do a poll of what style of harness you use.

Enter 100 for a rock climbing harness and 200 for a traditional full body harness.

Just comment "none" if you don't wear one.

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
Just a belt

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
so either i didn't set this up correctly or you guys are not entering a "score". ??? Thats' what I get for using my phone instead of computer

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
It says "isn't in range" I'm assuming 200 is too high.

Oh and for me.

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
Belt but also have 200 which I have not used.

19-Sep-16
Belt so 50

19-Sep-16
200 HSS

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
200 + lifeline...awesome set up

19-Sep-16
200 and a line from bottom to top. saved my butt a couple of years ago with a step strap broke.

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

But planning on switching to a 100....

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16
None, don't do anything above ground level. Hold onto the handrail when doing steps.

Terry

19-Sep-16
What Coyote 65 said

19-Sep-16
My Guess = 0
Average Guess =

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

19-Sep-16

20-Sep-16
Day one totals: RC= 14, FB= 42 and other= 4.

20-Sep-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Harness was on my friend but no life line and the strap on the climbing stick broke. Got to also use a lifeline!

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16
That looks painful at best.

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16
You're right Charlie, these numbers don't mean squat if you don't connect at the bottom of the tree.

HAPPY HUNTING EVERYBODY. Stay safe.

20-Sep-16
Not sure why anyone would use a rock climbing harness over full-body? The full-body harness is the same as a rock-climbing harness only it adds straps on your upper body, which would keep you upright if you fell.

Please stay connected 100% of the time!

20-Sep-16
Heardmanager, sorry you are wrong. In, a RC you hang in a seated position. In a FB you hang with legs down=suspension trauma quicker without recovery.

IMO a RC is more comfortable & works better with clothing options.

You can't invert unless you're overweight/shaped like an upside down bowling pin. And even if you could, you have WAY TOO MUCH slack in the rope. Try it, I have.

Both are better than a belt or no safety system.

20-Sep-16
Snapcrackpop,

Not trying to be a wiseguy here, but on the off chance that someone fell in such a way that they WERE inverted, the shoulder straps of a full body harness keep you cinched into the harness.....what keeps you from sliding out of a rock climbing harness?

I normally operate on the assumption that the harness is to arrest my fall. After that, I can right myself and descend....suspension trauma, while a concern, apparently assumes that I cannot descend. If my fall has been arrested, (and as a hunter, I will have a knife on me), couldn't I just cut a strap and climb down...assuming that I am using a ladder stand or a stand with climbing sticks? If using a portable climber, I'd just have to "inchworm" my way down....I might lose some chest hair, but it beats the alternative.

I would submit that it may be possible to invert in either type of harness (regardless of body shape)....most simulated "practice" falls probably assume a feet first fall....but I doubt that many people have attempted a headfirst "practice" fall. The length of the tether would also be a factor here, I suspect.

Since the potential for a fall is FAR more probable for a rock climber, than a bowhunter, I don't doubt that the rock climbing harness may have an application......is this harness debate common to rock climbers as well....or do rock climbers ALL use the legs only type of harness? In that case, is it for the concern with suspension trauma, or more likely, because the shoulder straps pose somewhat of a hindrance when climbing? Just wondering?

Since it would be rather easy for full harness manufacturers to simply lower where the tether attaches to the harness, if suspension trauma was significantly more likely in a FB harness, that attachment point should indeed, be lowered....unless there is a possible trade-off. Since I have never heard of a rock climber "falling out" of a harness when inverted, I wonder what the logic is for the attachment being located where it is on the FB harnesses....

20-Sep-16
The only way you wind up seated in a rock harness is if the tether is in the front of the harness, as in rock climbing. I don't want to be attached at the front, which will most likely twist you if you fall.

Rock climbing harnesses have a purpose......rock climbing where you are attached on the front of your body and facing the rocks. Very different than treestand hunting, where you face away from your tether point.

20-Sep-16
I didn't want to get into a debate about this RC vs FB, but I suspect is was inevitable. Someone posts a question or misconception and I want to respond.

Medicineman, RC climbers fall all the time. If "falling out inverted" was a concern, they would all wear a FB harness. Only children with small pelvis need a FB. When the waist belt has pressure applied, the circle shape becomes an oval. The waist belt is above the pelvic/iliac crest bones. If you have little slack in the safety rope, HOW would you ever fall head first? Try it. If you were sitting, and fell asleep, you would start head-first, but the rope would get tight before you came off the seat.

The "logic" for the front attachment as to do with suspension trauma... "Legs down" with a FB creates pressure on the femoral VAN(vein, artery, nerve) causing suspension trauma. RC harness holding you in a seated position creates less pressure in the groin area, small risk suspension trauma. Lots of rock climbers, "hang out" seated in their harness to rest because it is that comfortable.

A RC harness is less in the way when drawing and shooting your bow.

HerdManager, "The only way you wind up seated in a rock harness is if the tether is in the front of the harness, as in rock climbing. I don't want to be attached at the front, which will most likely twist you if you fall"

The only way you FALL is SEATED. As you fall, the "twist" also slows your fall...2 feet.

Attaching a RC harness in the (***correction***)BACK is a BAD IDEA. You would be dangling horizontal, face down, unable to rescue, but more importantly you are hanging legs down...causing suspension trauma. Don't try that!

FB harnesses are fine, but RC harnesses Pros outweigh the Cons IMO. I don't care which one you use, but use one. If you HATE a regular harness for "X" reason, you might like the RC, and then you would be safe. :-)

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16
"HOW would you ever fall head first?"......if you are short in the torso, and have one of the older tethers which were rather long.....OR if you have a deer coming in JUST as you are getting up to your platform. You manage to pull up your bow, and get an arrow nocked. Maybe it doesn't pan out and you are so distracted by the near opportunity, that you simply forget to take out the slack of the tether/prussic knot connection once you got seated. Maybe you actually make a great shot and the buck is waiting for your tag....but if you didn't pull up the prussic knot until it was tight, in the excitement of your descent, you have plenty of room to fall head first, because you did not take out the slack of the tether....

You are assuming that in normal circumstances, a head first fall cannot occur. I would agree. However, most falls probably occur when circumstances are NOT normal...THAT is why the fall occurs. Please don't misunderstand, I am not trying to debate the merits of FB versus RC....I am trying to learn if there is something better out there, than what I am currently using.

I come back to one of my original questions....if the threat of suspension trauma is such a concern, why aren't the manufacturers of FB harnesses simply lowering where the strap attaches to the harness? Then, the FB harness essentially acts like a RC harness, with the extra security of the shoulder straps? Maybe it is something that should be considered.....I was just wondering if any FB harness manufacturers could chime in....I see the merit of your comparison....just wondering why it hasn't been addressed, unless another factor is being over looked.....

I apologize for the tangent created here, as well.....

20-Sep-16
Suspension trauma with a fb harnesses is real. That is why several of the manufacturers include a suspension trauma strap to help you try and relieve the pressure. Now I will duck back out of this debate and grab the popcorn. Will never go back to a fb harnesses ever.

20-Sep-16
100 Rock climbing harness and don't see going back.

20-Sep-16
FB harness attach in the back. Lowering the attachment point "in the back" would not solve anything.

RC harness allows you to hang in a SEATED position, attached in the FRONT(sorry for the confusion in earlier post). As I stated to HerdManager, attaching the RC in the back (if you rigged it) would cause suspension trauma because of compression on the femoral VAN.

Back to your senerio..."short in the torso" would decrease a head-down fall because you are less top-heavy. "and you have one of the older tethers which were rather long", ? Are you talking about FB or RC harnesses? Confused.

If you have THAT much slack that you could fall head first, I would still prefer a RC over a FB. Why? You are at greater risk for being knocked unconscious. If you are KO'ed, would you rather be in a FB or RC? Answer: RC. Suspension trauma would kill you first, advantage RC.

Great questions! If you get a chance try one out.

Awareness about safety is a great topic for bowsite. I'm more upset that I didn't get the measurement "poll" working than I am about this tangent. So, not at all.

20-Sep-16
Snapcrackpop,

BTW, in your original post, you show a photo of what I assume is an RC harness. What are the squiggly lines that attach to the leg straps and the middle of the waist belt? Are they to help keep the individual "level" when suspended?

20-Sep-16
It is annoying to have the leg straps fall or slide down as you are walking or standing. They keep the leg straps under your buttocks.

20-Sep-16
What does an RC harness cost?

I don't see a clip on the "Edelweiss" side of the belt....how does it attach?...is it "just" a belt, with no clip at all? (Maybe it is just the way that the photo shows it).

20-Sep-16
double post

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16
Cost? $20-200

Attachment is with a carabiner or rope at the RED LOOP.

The only negative I can think of is using it lineman's-style. You can add side loops with rope or nylon straps or just attach both ends in the front. See DM/WOLFSKIN's photo for the lineman's attachment.

OR

Purchase a $200 MistyMountain Cadillac Tactical harness. The ONLY RC harness I know of that has weight rated gear loops: http://mistymountain.com/military-tactical/cadillac-tactical.html "The Cadillac Tactical harness strength is rated to 16kN (3,600 lbs), gear loops rated to 8kN (1,800 lbs), rear haul loop(***DONT DO IT***) rated to 10 kN (2,250 lbs) and front belay/rappel loop rated to 27 kN (6,075 lbs)." Then you could safely clip your lineman's belt to the gear loops.

OR

Others purchase a climbing loop and thread it around the waist belt for attachment points for the lineman's belt. I forget the name of that harness...

20-Sep-16
DIY Sportsman on YouTube has some great videos about climbing. Here is a long one with many good points about modifying a RC harness for linemans belt. And how to transition from climbing sticks to the stand without being disconnected.

Now he's showing a lot of options, but the blue "ascender" is just a fancy prusik knot; however, if you get one its you will see how much easier it is using one.

20-Sep-16
I can not count how many people started using a RC and say they'll "never go back." I don't recall anyone using a FB, then using a RC and going back to the FB.

Main advantage to me was I just hated hauling in the whole FB harness. They're so dang bulky.

20-Sep-16
Been using a RC harness for the last four seasons. I will never go back to FB.

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16

20-Sep-16
200 H.H.S.

20-Sep-16

21-Sep-16
New total: RC= 15, FB= 51 and 3 using a "belt".

So 74% using a traditional full body harness, 22% using a rock climbing harness and 4% using just a belt. Thanks for the info guys & gals. Stay safe.

Next poll should as Charlie's question. Who is connected from the ground up? I would guess 75% compliance.

21-Sep-16

Tried "falling" out of a tree with each, and RC wins for ease of self-rescue, by a thousand miles. If everyone actually tried this test rather than assuming that the front tether gets in the way (it doesn't), or that you can flip upside down (you won't), they would never sell another full body again.

22-Sep-16
Been eyeing RC for my next harness for last 4 years,,,,great option from everything I read

22-Sep-16
BOTH styles are safe when used correctly. RC is more comfortable, easier to put clothes & rain gear on/off without taking the harness off, no issues with drawing the bow & turning in the stand.

If you fall a RC is more comfortable hanging,easier to rescue(facing the tree) & much less risk of suspension trauma.

WHAT IFS: What is more likely: going inverted & falling out or losing consciousness(KO'ed or syncope)? If you pass-out in a FB, you can't self-rescue. Think about that...

22-Sep-16
agree with elk Yinzer - did all those tests when i got mine, hard to think anyone in reasonable shape , doing the same, that wouldn't choose the RC. but either is great. i probably just never got the right full body harness that could compare favorably, it's not like i tried a ton.

22-Sep-16

Interesting. Sure are a lot more options now than there used to be.

I use a FB harness because when I was shopping for a safety harness I went to cabelas and that's what they carry. Its the one with the shock dampener system made by summit. It sure is better than what I used to use years ago which was just a belt and strap. Never really considered an RC harness. Guess I knew they existed but being a hunter I went to a store that sells hunting equipment and the summit is what they carried.

22-Sep-16
Ha Red this is kinda off topic but you touched on a great subject. A few years ago I came to the realization that a product does not have to have picture of a big buck on it to work. In fact we all know the bigger the buck picture the more outrageous the price will be. I now try to keep an open mind and look outside the hunting industry to find things I need.

22-Sep-16
I've always uesd SOP. I got a new one with my Cabela's points and at the same time order a rock climbing harness. A hunting friend had come by the house and showed me his RC and show me how good it was. Once I got the RC in the mail and the SOP, I never used the SOP. It's hanging up in my hunting room for 3 years now.

• Sitka Gear