Bob H in NH 20-Sep-16
Play Fair 20-Sep-16
brianhood 20-Sep-16
bb 20-Sep-16
bdfrd24v 21-Sep-16
Bullshooter 22-Sep-16
Candor 22-Sep-16
20-Sep-16
I'm new to hanging lock on stands. I've hunted out of a couple on other ground and wanted to try it at our place. So far I'm not pleased with the results.

Using Millenium M25 stand. Chain on top, strap on bottom

I can not figure out how to get the chain tight on top of the stand. I have the general idea behind it but the execution seems to be the issue. I've read some previous threads about adding a secondary strap for the top and I can do that, but I really would like to get the chain tight and seated properly and then add a strap for overkill only.

Again I'm new to this so any advise is greatly appreciated.

20-Sep-16
I always use a screw in step at the back of the tree on my permanent sets.....the chain goes up and over the step so it does not slide or anything.

20-Sep-16
I use a lone wolf with two straps but the idea would be the same. Put the stand on using the chain with the bottom platform in the upright position. Put weight on the stand bringing it down, THEN fold down the foot platform. This will cinch it tight.

20-Sep-16
The chain doesn't need to be tight, tight. You actually want the chain higher on the tree, than where its attached to the stand. Once its attached, you need to put your weight on the stand, to cinch in the stand cleats. Plus if your chain was tight, you would have a heck of a time getting it off. Especially if it was up very long. Add a ratchet strap if your Leary. BTW we used those stands for 20 years it seems! Not big enough, or sturdy enough for me! We now use either a ladder stand or a climber. Good luck!

20-Sep-16
Ok. Seems like I wasn't putting enough down pressure before opening the platform. I'll try that and get back to you guys.

We actually have almost all ladder stands on the property as it has been mostly a rifle hunting place up until the last few years. I didn't like all the shooting rails and objects to move around when bow hunting so that's why we are trying 3 of these. See how it goes. May dislike them altogether but worth a shot.

I'll climb in the evening but I won't do it in the AM. I don't mind coming down in the dark, but for some reason I get really nervous climbing up in the dark. Odd I know.

20-Sep-16
Lifeline and you'll FEEL safe and BE safe going up & down.

20-Sep-16
My 2 cents...If you hang a lock-on inn a hard tree(Hickory, Ash, Cherry, Beech, Gum) your asking for trouble. You can still do it but you need to then get your chain tight. The only way to do this right is with the little turn buckles. Lowe's carries them. Id for sure add a ratchet strap to.

20-Sep-16
double

20-Sep-16
I have hunted with chain on stands for close to 30 years and not one has slid. I have four now that are as quiet as a mouse.

Just as APauls outlines for you above. keep the platform up, wrap the chain around and get it as tight as you can when you clip it on. Then put the platform down and push it down. Make sure you have a harness on as you do all this, get on the stand and hold the tree and push at the back of the platform to lock it in to the bark. Now get a tree step and put it in the back of the tree under the chain. It's going nowhere for a long time. :)

Also, if you feel uncomfortable climbing, buy a set of climbing sticks to get up and down. Make sure the sticks go all the way to your seat on the stand so its easy on and off to climb.

If I lived close to you I would come help you hang them but I see your in PA, good luck.

20-Sep-16
I do have a life line in the tree and hung the steps with a lineman belt. I'm pretty strict on safety. Ill check out the turn buckle too.

Dad was a safety engineer, and I fell out of a homemade stand as a kid. Learned my lesson early there, and with just bruises I might add. I probably don't bounce as well as I did at 13.

Currently have this going on a maple. We had to move a lot of ladders because of the ash borer. We lost all of our ash trees. Shame.

20-Sep-16
Read the manual. Some chain stands you hang with the platform up, some down. I have one of each type.

Wrap the chain as tight as you can, then you need to put downward pressure on. The stand will actually drop a couple inches, but the chain won't move. If the chain does move, it's to loose.

Once seated, they are rock solid.

20-Sep-16
Let me add this, but please check the owners manual or on-line first. On the Millennium Stands I have used, the 'mount' that is attached to the chain, is placed upside down when securing the chain, THEN Cam'd over and it will take some of the slack out. Not all but most. www.millennium.com

20-Sep-16
Just take a ratchet strap with you and put it oround the tree over top the chain. Most of my stands have ratchet straps that are exposed to the weather and squirrels. By double strapping the stand with a fresh strap I carry in and out it gives me piece of mind. Always install before stepping on stand.

20-Sep-16
The chain doesn't have to be tight like you would make a strap tight. loop it around the tree as tight as you can but you don't have to knock yourself out trying to get it tight. Once you do that, pressing weight down on the platform will seat the stand and the chain will choke tight around the tree, you can make it rock solid doing this. Just sep on the platform next to the tree initially, not out on the end, this will seat the stand and it will lock into the tree

21-Sep-16
As always bowsite helped me out. 10 mins work and we are rock solid. Very pleased with how things feel. Thanks again to all that helped.

22-Sep-16

Bullshooter's embedded Photo
Bullshooter's embedded Photo
bdfrd24v, is your chain the Millenium receiver mount? if so the answer is a bit different. Those you need to get used to how tight the chain is before you "CAM" the receiver down into position. It can be difficult to select the right link in the chain to connect the other side' link to. I found that if I take a stout screwdriver with me I get plenty leverage when I want to cam the receiver back up to remove the chain, and it could help if necessary when hanging. Put the blade of the screwdriver into the receiver slot and use the handle to flip it into position.

22-Sep-16
I would be cautious about applying a back-up ratchet to a stand that is hung with a chain before it is truly set in place on the chain. The ratchet can be holding the bulk of your weight and the stand won't truly "seat" into the tree. I do use a back-up ratchet sometimes on my chain stands but always make sure the stand is locked into the tree by climbing onto it and the tension is placed on the chain before I would tighten up the ratchet. Hope that makes sense to someone other than me.

• Sitka Gear