bigeasygator 26-Sep-16
midwest 26-Sep-16
TD 27-Sep-16
CurveBow 27-Sep-16
Kurt 27-Sep-16
elkstabber 27-Sep-16
APauls 27-Sep-16
21-Sep-16
Hey all..I am in the market for a GPS. I have been looking at the Garmin Montana 680t. I really like the size of the screen for easy map viewing. Just wondering what everyone else is using and what experience you have had? Thanks in advance for your time.

Keith

21-Sep-16
I have a Montana, and thought it was good but it's big and heavy. A few years ago I swapped to an Oregon as it's smaller and lighter and has pretty much all the features I'm looking for. On my elk hunt this year, I decided to use the onX HUNT app for my iPhone. I found it to be just as effective as the Oregon and means one less device I have to carry around. I kept my Oregon on me as a backup but I think I may leave it at home in favor of the onX app now.

21-Sep-16
I use a Garmin GPS Map 60. Its a bit older unit now and I think the current one is the 64. I would buy it again. My son has a touch screen unit, I'm not sure of the model #, but isn't impressed with it.

I like the 60 because all the buttons are on the front and have labels so you can see/feel what you're doing and its easy to use it even in the dark.

I know that a lot of folks are using phone apps, but I have no experience with them, In the backcountry areas I hunt, there is no cell service. Although, I'm not sure its needed to use a GPS app or whether a iPhone would wok on a GPS app in Airplane mode....

>>>>-------->

21-Sep-16
Thanks guys.....thought about trying the app but I don't trust my phone charge for a week in the back country. Last time I only got about 4 days on it in airplane mode.

Not many replies...I guess there are not many GPS users.

21-Sep-16
I just bought a Garmin GPSMAP 64s this year and I love it to death. Got the cheap version without maps and downloaded the maps online for free. USGS and Nat Geo topos.

I haven't used any of the larger screen or touch screen Garmins. However, I have a buddy who has an Oregon and he loves it as well. I guess it just depends on your personal feel for them. I chose the 64s because of price and ruggedness.

21-Sep-16
I use the Garmin Oregon 600. I have only one complaint that it will use up batteries pretty fast if you leave it on. Usually I just turn it on to get my bearings or mark a waypoint then turn it off.

21-Sep-16
How were you planning on keeping the GPS unit charged? I get much better battery life out of my phone than I do from GPS units for what it's worth. My experience with a unit like the Montana is that it would go through a set of AA batteries a day (a bit longer if they were lithium) even if the screen brightness is lowered (leaving it running while I was hunting). For a six day hunt I would have to carry a lot of batteries.

I recommend buying a backup charger from somewhere like Dark Energy, Anker, or Amazon. They weigh less than a pound and will charge your phone 4-5 times. I also picked up the Bushnell Powersync which you can recharge in the sun and then use to charge your phone. I think the phone power situation is much better than it is for the GPS units like the Montana or Oregon (and I own both).

21-Sep-16
bigeasy....I was thinking batteries for the GPS and only turning it on when needed. That is what I do using the Garmin Rhino.

Tell me more about the onX app. does it have the capability to show land ownership and 1:24 topo maps? Also what is the life of you phone battery with it on while hunting with the onX app running?

Thanks.

21-Sep-16
I second the phone charging. Heck, for the money of a GPS you can buy yourself a brand new iPhone SE on a plan and you have 4K video options, GREAT pictures for the size, GPS, and great battery life.

Make sure to use google maps in on your phone at the location you are going to and you will have crisp imaging of the satellite view of the ground. Really helps when determining if you want to walk to a certain lake, drain, clearing, etc.

21-Sep-16
I have the Montana 650t. Big touch screen is nice for aging eyes.

21-Sep-16
The onX software has great imagery and a TON of layers that you can add. Every bit as clear as google imagery and all the features of the Montana GPS. If you have a smartphone, it's smaller, lighter, gets better battery life, better screen (size and clarity) and has all the features of the Garmin units. I believe the navigation features (waypoints, tracks, etc) are part of the free app version. I don't really see any need to spend money on the Garmin units (take it from a guy who's already spent over $1k on them).

21-Sep-16
I have a 60CSX and a 64 model, as well as an Oregon...I prefer the either th 60 or 64 over the Oregon

21-Sep-16
I have a 60csx and a Montana 650t, both good but Montana is hands down better

21-Sep-16
Garmin Dakota. God Bless

21-Sep-16
Montana 600

Everybody I hunt with have given up on the phone apps. Only thing my montana wont do is get on bowsite.

22-Sep-16
Montana 600...it is heavier than the small screen models....but I love using it and would buy another in a heartbeat !!

Joe

22-Sep-16
Montana is not heavy, as long as you use the rechargeable lithium battery it comes with, if you use AA's its heavier

22-Sep-16
For 2 years now I have used just my Galaxy S5 Phone elk hunting. Battery last for a long time when put in airplane mode and use the battery saver setting. I leave it on so I don't have to start it up when I want to look at it. The Back Country navigator is the best map app I have found. You can also use the ONXmaps for land ownership.

22-Sep-16
Ok still on the fence between the onX maps and the Montana. Like I said the Montana has the big screen witch will make it easier for me to read beings my eyes sight seems to be a going south. The extra weight is not a big deal for me. The batteries are a negative but I carry plenty extra in my pack. I think the durability is better with the Montana. The onX maps sounds good also. I have been seeing some negative reports from users and having software issues with the onX maps witch I don't like. I have a Casio G'zOne witch is an older smart phone, not really sure how this would work with onX software. I may have to give it a try before pulling the trigger on the Montana.

Thanks again guys for the advice. Please keep it coming.

Keith

26-Sep-16
Question for the guys that are using their cell phones. Do you always have service where you hunt????

26-Sep-16
No, you don't need cell service to use the GPS apps. You can save imagery and maps ahead of going off the grid for use when you're offline. The GPS on your phone will function (i.e., identify your permission) without cell service.

26-Sep-16
You don't have to have service for the phone apps...you download the maps before you get there.

Unless I'm hunting around lots of private, I've never had any more need than my cheap little Garmin etrex and a paper map. They weigh practically nothing and a set of lithium batteries will last over a week.

27-Sep-16
I had both this year. Several times the phone couldn't lock on when the garmin rino did in seconds. And many times the phone app wasn't near as accurate. Even in airplane mode it ate battery life.

I'll likely still carry both....the touchscreen phone is more versatile in viewing maps, screen had better resolution and control.... but trust the gamin to get me to camp spot on in a two hour hike back after dark, of which there were a.... few.... And can't beat the radio and location lock of the rino in non-cell areas. Used it several times this year when it would have been impossible with a cell app.

27-Sep-16
Regarding the battery life, in most cases, there is no need to leave the GPS on all day. I hunted in CO recently for 6.5 days. I started with used alkaline batteries (owners manual says to not use lithium as they may fry the unit) in my GPS Map 60 and changed them one time. They ended the elk hunt with 75% power remaining. When I hunt locally or where weight isn't a paramount factor, then my unit goes 2 full days with the GPS on all the time I'm hunting in remote areas.

My son't Oregon has a very insensitive screen compared to an iPhone, like most of us are used to. Consider that. Plus, if we're trying to view something together, its almost impossible for 2 people as the viewing angle is so critical. This may be the same for the Montana.

>>>>-------->

27-Sep-16
I've been using my old iPhone 5S with the $19 GAIA GPS app for over a year now. The screen broke on my Garmin Oregon 450T last year rendering the $280 GPS and $150 backroads BC chip worthless. I have had 3 other Garmin GPS units fail too, two yellow etrex and a Gekko so am not at all sold on garmin's reliability versus an iPhone (not let me down yet in years of seemingly non-stop use).

A few comments on the iPhone to enhance battery life: Shut off blue tooth. It uses battery life. Better yet, just shut the phone off when you don't need the camera or GPS, although mine with blue tooth off in airplane mode has negligible power draw. I just got 6 days out of the old iPhone used as a GPS (sparingly) on a northern BC backpack fly-in hunt with 50% of battery remaining. Newer models have much better battery life and better cameras for what it is worth.

Having the google earth type of pictures on the phone is great to look at what was over the next ridge when hunting country you have never been in. I used it several times to plan our next mt caribou maneuver during the recent hunt (caribou did not cooperate).

Anyway, you couldn't give me another Garmin GPS to carry around versus using my iPhone for back country use. And no there isn't cell service for 1000 km where I was hunting in NW BC newr the Yukon border. Just save your aerial photos ahead of time. Ensure you have several gig of storage for the program and maps in your phone.

Good luck!

27-Sep-16
I've quit using a GPS unit. I use a phone app instead. Your biggest concern is battery life.

My iPhone SE used about 20% of its battery per day in the backcountry a few weeks ago. So the batter is good for 4-5 days without a charge. With a charging stick (available for $5-10) I can get another 4-5 days easily. Charging stick weighs about 2-3 ounces (I can't remember).

This was using the phone only for GPS, and turning the app off about half the time. I also used the phone as my alarm clock. I might have texted for 10 minutes per day if I had a signal but otherwise I had the phone on Airplane mode to conserve the battery.

Lastly, be aware that the phone's GPS isn't as accurate as a separate GPS unit. The phone's accuracy was about 3x less accurate but it's never been a problem. I always found my tent at night :)

Good luck!

27-Sep-16
I've always carried a Garmin eTrex that I've had for about 12 years and now in the last 4-5 years I've also used my phone. My phone gets 95% of the workout.

Being able to see beautiful google maps imagery as well as having a great camera, GPD, alarm clock, and phone all rolled into one bundle is tough to beat. Mine is in a lifeproof case so it is also drop and waterproof.

• Sitka Gear