Firsty 21-Sep-16
Orion 21-Sep-16
Nesser 21-Sep-16
Greg / MO 21-Sep-16
Salt 22-Sep-16
wildwilderness 22-Sep-16
mountainman 22-Sep-16
21-Sep-16
Well I was lucky enough to snag a 61 2nd rifle (i know, shame on me) tag in the reissue yesterday. I had to miss my anual trek out there for bow season so I'll gladly take it. Anybody hunted this unit care to give me some insight? I've never rifle hunted elk before so that aspect will be new. I've spent a lot of years in 62 next door bow hunting so I know what kind of terrain to expect. Thanks!

21-Sep-16
Well I was lucky enough to snag a 61 2nd rifle (i know, shame on me) tag in the reissue yesterday. I had to miss my anual trek out there for bow season so I'll gladly take it. Anybody hunted this unit care to give me some insight? I've never rifle hunted elk before so that aspect will be new. I've spent a lot of years in 62 next door bow hunting so I know what kind of terrain to expect. Thanks!

21-Sep-16
Pm sent

21-Sep-16
So you are the one who took my tag!

It will be tough, with the Early Rifle and 1st season hunts before you. However there are plenty of elk in there and way more than you've seen in 62. I would hunt the PJ and glass, and not pass up 300" bull if you want to tag out. If you are willing to eat the tag then there are better but a 330+ will take a lot of scouting and luck :)

21-Sep-16
Thanks! What is the PJ?Are you talking pinyon-juniper?

21-Sep-16
yes: Pinyon Juniper. Most will want to hunt high in the Aspens so you will get a lot of pressure. I noticed a lot of Acorns this year as well. So maybe the lower oak brush if they are still holding acorns.

21-Sep-16
Just talked to a buddy on the phone this morning who finally drew the coveted 61 tag... He said it was the worst hunt of his life, as the Game & Fish Commission had opened up a special rifle bear hunt and placed it concurrently with the archery season? Said shots were ringing out from everywhere and it didn't take but a few minutes of glassing to see someone from the orange army on an opposite ridge. He shot a cow and went home.

21-Sep-16
Greg MO really? I find that hard to believe? There might have been some bear hunters in the area but not THAT many?! 61 is a huge unit. Sounds like he wanted an excuse to go home......

21-Sep-16
That September bear season has always gone on. Sounds like your buddy didn't want to hunt and just wanted to go home

21-Sep-16
It's a great hunt . Get a mile off the divide road and it's you and the elk. And plenty of bears.

21-Sep-16
No idea... that's just what he told me on the phone.

I do agree with him though I wouldn't want rifle hunters of any species in the woods with me after I've waited 1/4 of my life to draw that tag. I even clear out of the OTC units before all the muzzleloaders invade.

22-Sep-16
Greg... Would have loved to had your buddys 61 tag.Tried to buy landowner voucher for that area again this year. Thats how good i think the area is!!!!!

22-Sep-16

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Yep, 61 is horrible with all them bear hunters and no elk.

I just wasted my time hunting with my buddy on his tag this year, trying to call in elk for him, not seeing bulls everyday, and not tagging out since its so bad. And my buddy just imagined passing on several bulls until he dreamt he killed one...

22-Sep-16
Where would a person go to try and even buy a land owner tag? Is it more of a word of mouth thing?

• Sitka Gear