Allheart 24-Sep-16
Paul@thefort 24-Sep-16
Cheesehead Mike 26-Sep-16
OkieJ 26-Sep-16
luckyleo 29-Sep-16
23-Sep-16

Quick Draw 1's embedded Photo
Was elk hunting in Alberta last week, and had one of the greatest experiences ever. My guide, wife, and I were on the edge of a small clearing doing a set up and calling. After a short time, I looked to my left and couldn't believe what was walking in.....a large, male mountain lion. I had already ranged one of the small trees at 18 yards, and he came in closer than that. He seemed as surprised to see us as we were to see him. Rather than him bolting back into the timber, he just stood there and posed for pictures. At one time he even sat down. He eventually just walked back where he came from. It's rare enough to see a cat run across the road....much less have one come into under 20 yards and pose. Pictures and video to follow....

23-Sep-16
That's awesome! I'd love to see it...but then again I wouldn't, because I could never think of the darkness the same when I am walking in and out in the dark lol

23-Sep-16

23-Sep-16

23-Sep-16
really cool!!! but i agree with Apauls!!

23-Sep-16
Wow that is cool. What a pretty animal.

23-Sep-16
Beautiful ! But I agree, I'd rather not have him roaming around in " my " space, especially in the dark !

23-Sep-16
Awesome experience! I had something very similar happened to me 7-8 years ago. I was also lucky enough to have a camera. Unfortunately for me my hands were shaking so bad with the lion staring me down from close range that my image stabilization in my old camera couldn't keep up! Ha! I did get a few good shots though and have posted them on the site before. Very cool encounter! Thank you for sharing your pics!

23-Sep-16
That's awesome. I got to see one this year in Colorado. I didn't get any pictures though.

23-Sep-16
That's a big kitty cat there !!!

23-Sep-16
been there done that what a memory making day. My son will not bowhunt without a side arm anymore he was a little traumatized when the cat was as he said "kneeding the grass with his paws swishing his tail and licking his lips" at 20 yards or less. I was off in the brush doing the calling.

oz

23-Sep-16
Super cool!

23-Sep-16
50% awsome 50%scary....i dont know if i would have let him get that close unless someone had a beed on him,he looks kinda hungry and your kinda slow hahahaha 100% cool experience wow

MikeC

23-Sep-16
Could you have shot him if you had a tag or was the season not open? Just curious.

23-Sep-16
I guess I would be the dumb one of the group, cause my first thought was you should have done some mouse squeaks to bring him in closer. I know I have always been this afflicted with getting close to critters. As a kid someone would tell me to stay away from that dog and I would be like I can make friends with that dog. Yup I got bit a few times.

23-Sep-16
Super cool.

Rarely do we get to see them without dogs or roads. Glad you had the camera handy.

23-Sep-16
In response to Sage, would have had a very clean shot. But, I honestly have no idea whether the season was open. Even if it was, the last permit I would have thought I needed was a mountain lion! I did have a wolf, but knew that was a stretch. Being from Texas, my very first instinct was to get ready for a shot, because lions are not regulated here. Then I came back to reality and remembered where I was. My wife is actually the one taking all the pictures. She was terrified and kept asking if he was going to eat her. I just told her to start taking pictures and don't stop til he's gone.

23-Sep-16
cool pics I've called in 3 plus in Fl. turkey hunting thanks for sharing.Lewis

23-Sep-16
No freakin' thank you.........cats scare the heck outta me....almost as much as close lightening in the mountains. I ain't got any interest in encountering either.

23-Sep-16
A lion just doing what lions do and I would do what a hunter would do.

23-Sep-16
That is amazing!!!!!

What a great memory to have. I would have been very very scared and thrilled at the same time.

23-Sep-16
Picture how bad it would be when a 5lb house cat attacks you.

Now multiply that by 40 on a cat that is an experienced killer on 700lb elk. First frontal I get he takes an arrow and it's self defense lol I don't think I'd wait for the 0.2 second sprint from where he is to me.

23-Sep-16
And Two hunters meet. Awesome thanks for sharing. Forrest

23-Sep-16
APauls x2.

Remember BLM, Bowhunters Lives Matter!

23-Sep-16
Awesome. Great looking cat.

23-Sep-16
Great experience.

No fear.

Neat that your wife got to share in it with you.

24-Sep-16
I had a lion spook the elk where I was waiting yesterday, I just didn't get a pic in time.

24-Sep-16
Very cool! I had one come busting out of the brush behind a cow and calf at about 30-40 yards...I yelled and waved my arms and he stopped and stared me down. Kind of scary but I think I saved that little calf. I can tell you if that would have been me my elk hunt would have turned into a mountain lion hunt real quick! Definitely on my bucket list

24-Sep-16
Thats not fear in his eyes!

24-Sep-16
AWESOME! great pics as well

24-Sep-16
I bet this happen more than we think while calling elk but we never see the cat.

Pays to have a camera along. Good memory. Nice.

my best, paul

26-Sep-16

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Awesome photos Quick Draw 1. I had a similar experience with a pair of cats in NM several years ago.

26-Sep-16
Well the call must of sounded good enough to fool the cat.

29-Sep-16
I can't Find the video but the Rocky Mountain elk foundation posted a video of a mountain lion making a elk calf call. And it sounds a lot like a calf call!

• Sitka Gear