Stickhead 24-Sep-16
greenmountain 24-Sep-16
deerman406 24-Sep-16
Badlands 26-Sep-16
APauls 26-Sep-16
Rock 26-Sep-16
wilbur 26-Sep-16
23-Sep-16
I've got a piece of my property that gets quite a bit of deer travel however there's not much around except for a few scrubby bushes and grass. I'd like to set a pop up blind there and leave it the remainder of the season. The question I have for the brain trust here is that If I'm able to leave it for a couple of weeks before I hunt it do I need to brush it in or will the deer get used to it?

I'm thinking they will get used to it and it will be part of the landscape over time. We have a house on the same property and deer walk past that all the time.

Thoughts?

23-Sep-16
brush it in JMO

23-Sep-16
Don't worry about brushing it in. Deer will get used to it. You can question it, but I have numerous videos of bucks walking within 20 yards of my ground blind that isn't brushed in.

23-Sep-16
You can put a hot pink blind out there and in a couple of weeks deer will ignore it. The only thing you want to do is have the windows that you are going to have open during your hunt, go ahead and open them when put it up.

23-Sep-16
You must stake that sucker in like hell, if there is no trees to block the wind that thing wont be there in two weeks, every time I use more and longer stakes, still find it in a tree. If you don't have trees just look in Ohio, it wont stop till it gets there. Try burlap and fence post.

23-Sep-16
Build yourself a permant ground blind. Needs to be 6 ft x 6 ft x at least 7 ft high so you can shoot standing up.

23-Sep-16
Agent a ASAT blind, no need to brush it in.

23-Sep-16
Most of them will get used to it, but there is always that one nosey old doe..................

I brush mine in, period.

24-Sep-16
My experience has been the more rounded the edges the better, sharp lines and corners get the deer's attention more than the curved natural set up.

24-Sep-16
I would brush it in. Or like suggested, build a permanent box blind.

24-Sep-16
I often hunt out of a doghouse blind. For bow hunting I like to plant it in the brush at least a week before I hunt out of it. More often I set up in the natural brush. Unless there is active logging deer seem to be wary of a change for a day or two. When loggers are in the woods they seem more tolerant of change.

24-Sep-16

deerman406's embedded Photo
deerman406's embedded Photo
I brushed this one in when I hunted Kansas last year. I put out a trail cam right by it and had pictures of good bucks the first evening it was out. Shawn

26-Sep-16
good feedback. I had a feeling I would get a mixed bag of answers. That's one of the reasons I like hunting. There isn't any right answer and there are multiple ways to solve the puzzle.

Thanks guys.

26-Sep-16
I don't see the downside to brushing them in. One thing to note, as Shawn posted a picture of his situation - he is close to a hay bale. Any time you place a ground blind in a field with bales in it, deer don't pay attention to it - even big bucks. I think to them it is just another bale. If you DON'T have bales I find they pay a TON of attention to it.

But seriously if there are bales around that is the best scenario ever.

26-Sep-16
If the Blind is out in the open where they can see it a ways off then it does not bother them. But if it is in heavier cover and they do not see it until they are close to it then it really bothers them. Try a Hay Bale Blind they look natural in every setting and do not bother the deer at all.

26-Sep-16

wilbur's embedded Photo
wilbur's embedded Photo
Even if the deer don't care brush it in anyway. It's fun to make ambush and you'll feel better about it after you tip one over.

I just got done with an Arizona elk hunt and brushed this bad boy up.

• Sitka Gear