PMcGee 07-Dec-16
bfisherman11 07-Dec-16
Kevin Dill 07-Dec-16
PMcGee 07-Dec-16
Aubs8 08-Dec-16
Brokenarrow129 12-Dec-16
11-Oct-16

Kevin Dill's Link
My post is directed at any nonresident hunters who might be headed to Alaska in 2017.

Many people know that AK drastically raised (as in doubled) its license and tag fees to NR hunters beginning 2017. Hunting license doubles to $170 from $85 and (example) a moose tag goes up from $400 to $800.

You can save a bit of money by buying your 2017 AK nonresident hunting license now or at least before the end of 2016. I confirmed this with ADFG today. The 2017 license can be bought at the 2016 price. After Dec 31 the price will double.

This savings only applies to the license and NOT to any tags. Those tags aren't available until calendar year 2017 at the new, higher cost.

And of course everything is available online.

11-Oct-16
Hmm, I'd heard that the tags were available at the current price too till the end of the year. They said that wasn't the case?

11-Oct-16
Yeah, I heard same thing about animal tags if purchased in 2016 for 2017.

11-Oct-16
I have spoken to ADFG in Fairbanks, Tok and Juneau. The licenses for 2017 can be bought now at 2016 price. Locking tags and permits for 2017 are not available for purchase and will be available first of the year.

Of course we're talking about a bureaucracy, Alaska, politicians and variables exist. A wise person will stay tuned and check for changes.

11-Oct-16
You can also buy tags for 2018 once they go on sale in November for the price of a 2016 tag. Prices don't go up until Jan 1, 2017

11-Oct-16
Bushwacker I hope you are 100% correct but that is not what the department of licenses and permits in Juneau told me this afternoon. Do you have a reliable source for that info?

11-Oct-16
I hope it is the tags as well. I've got bear tags to buy, deer tags to buy, and heck I might even buy a moose tag if it is tags as well!

Wish I could say I needed a sheep or musk ox tag.

11-Oct-16
thank you sir for the post, i will try and take advantage of the savings.

11-Oct-16
Thanks for the post! I also Hope It's tags

11-Oct-16
Thanks for the heads up. I will be getting a moose tag and license. Ed F

11-Oct-16
Thanks! Maybe this will help me draw:)

11-Oct-16
I sure hope my $62.00 combo fishing, hunting, and trapping combo license doesn't go up :).

That said, I'd love to trade my tiny condo for the cost equivalent 5 bedroom pad with a huge yard down south.

Good to know on the early purchasing though, I'll pass along to my NR roommate planning on spring bear hunts.

13-Oct-16
I just got off the phone with BJ in the Fairbanks ADFG office. You can buy your 2017 hunting license now for $85.00. After January 1st it will be $170.00. 2017 Big game locking tags are not available at this time. They go on sale January 1st 2017.

13-Oct-16
The biggest savings you can do is apply for an Alaska Airline Credit Card.

Upon approval you get 25,000 miles - that was enough for me to fly to ANC and back from DEN for $27.00 incl travel insurance. Plus you get 1/2 discount for a travel companion.

Those two tickets will save you about $1000 right off the top.

16-Oct-16
Another way to save $ is being smart about airline baggage charges. This fall I returned from Alaska with close to 300 lbs of gear, meat, capes, etc. I carried over 60 lbs of gear on my back through the airport. A large backpack that barely fit in the overhead bin plus a 30 lb carry on bag with my spotting scope, binos, cameras, camcorder, etc. I also gutted the foam out of my oversized rifle case that is on wheels. I had it loaded to the hilt with cloths and other large gear (fishing rods, tripod, etc). It weighed another 60 lbs. I probably saved a few hundred bucks of shipping charges thinking outside the box. I met guys on the plane to Alaska a few years ago that paid $2,000 to have their camping/hunting gear shipped up there!

16-Oct-16
I do exactly what Jims said... Ed F

16-Oct-16
Been years since I read Alaska's game regs, and it was a book back then... Say I want only a caribou tag in a non-draw unit or do I have to chose a specific non-draw unit a head of time?

26-Nov-16
For those interested I purchased my 2017 moose tag yesterday and it was for the 2016 price. I know several other hunters who have already bought 2017 tags and saved money. I assume this will only last until the end of 2016.

26-Nov-16
Kevin Dill, Thanks! I checked a few days ago and they were not available. Checked again after I read your post and just bought my grizzly tag for $500!

26-Nov-16
How much is the Grizz tag going up? Is it doubling as well?

26-Nov-16
As I understand it every NR tag price doubled for 2017.

26-Nov-16
Kota-man, Griz goes from $500 to $1000.

26-Nov-16
Thanks guys...

26-Nov-16
Right on... I'm in. Ed F

27-Nov-16
Went online and got my 2017 hunting license and moose tag today! Glad I was browsing thru Bowsite this morning! saved me $485.00!!!!!! Thanks Bowsite!

27-Nov-16
Kevin Dill, I'd kiss you if I could my friend. I was told last week by AF&G that I could buy the 2017 license now at 2016 price but the bear tags weren't going on sale until January 1 of 2017 and they'd be double the price. Just read this updated post, went on the the website and ordered my bear tags for my daughter and I and paid the 2016 price. You saved us $450. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

27-Nov-16
Thanks Kevin!

I told a few bowsiters about this as they are coming with me and TEmbry next fall. Hope they take advantage of it cause that'll mean more money for beers :)

Good stuff. Really, saving 50% on something like this is a no brainer. Best of luck to everyone headed to the Great Land next year!

28-Nov-16
Glad to help out. I don't know for certain how long it will hold, so my advice is to get it done asap. Let your friends know, too.

Bushwacker....I don't tell and kiss. Or did I get that backwards?.....

29-Nov-16
Kevin Thank for the post i got my tag licenses and tag today

29-Nov-16
Done.

The option was available for a short time on Nov 1, but then it disappeared so I thought the window had shut. In hindsight I think it was simply that big game locking tags weren't actually avalable then, but at the time I was bummed I didn't jump due to cash flow.

I'm in now!

Unfortunately like more and more states, Alaska is making it more difficult ($) for NR.

30-Nov-16
It is getting harder [more expensive] to hunt states in which we do not reside. Actually, it's getting tougher [both the expense and draw odds] to hunt nearly any western state....even as a resident. This is a very tough issue. I don't blame Alaska for raising the NR prices. It's simply supply/demand. The alternatives include having the place overrun with hunters or going to a draw for many of the current NR OTC hunts. I would rather pay more and be able to buy the tag OTC.

As hunters we must realize a very difficult realty. First, we NEED to recruit more members to our sport to keep our population base strong for the continuing fight we face. Second, we need to figure out a way to deal with the extra hunters we recruit.

We all appreciate other passionate and ethical hunters...unless we find them in "our" spot. Lol

I want there to be more people who are pursuing hunting each year. I just don't want them pursuing my draw tags, nor do I want them pursuing animals in my favorite canyons. I am making a very generalized statement here, but this is a legitimate situation that we face and we must approach this issue with care. I DO NOT want hunting to become a "rich man's" sport. I also do not want the opportunity to hunt to become so rare that people lose interest.

I don't know what the answers are. I think raising the cost of NR opportunities to help keep resident opportunities more plentiful and affordable is one potential strategy. I'm not referring to Alaska specifically here, I'm just thinking out loud on a broad scale. Sorry if this response is too far off-topic.

06-Dec-16
Are all of you sure that what you bought for locking tags are valid in 2017? Just read where locking tags are only valid through Dec 31 of the year they were purchased... Hoping everyone got 2017.

06-Dec-16
Mine say "2017 deer tag" on the receipt. Also talked to AK F&W prior to purchasing so I'm pretty sure I'm good. Next Nov. can't some soon enough!

06-Dec-16
Nick...On-line you can choose the year of locking tag you want. '16, '17 or '18. So, I HOPE that is not the case. I ordered my '17 Grizz yesterday and tried to order '18 moose today, but it won't let me order locking tags for 2018. My '17 Grizz tag went through fine.

06-Dec-16
Just got my grizzly tag yesterday and it is for 17.

Tim

06-Dec-16
Our two black bear tags arrived yesterday, stamped 2017

06-Dec-16
Mine clearly is a 2017 tag. I have about a dozen friends who have already received their 2017 tags and all of them are embossed with '2017' clearly.

06-Dec-16
Mine locking tag 2017 also.

06-Dec-16
Thanks for the heads up. I just bought my non-resident license, locking moose tag and applied for a drawing permit.

07-Dec-16
I realize NR"s really hate to see tags double, but Christ was still doing alter boy duty the last time we raised prices

07-Dec-16
I just ordered my moose locking tag and nonresident license. Can anyone tell me will they send the paper harvest tag with the locking tag or do I have to get that when I get up there?

07-Dec-16
My AK bou hunt was a highlight of my bowhunting career. I can't even remember the cost but it was worth every penny. I thought I did great on flying too because I used my miles for the complete trip on AK Air. I shipped my meat home via FedEx Gold rush. That was not cheap but totally worth it. I hope to go back someday.

Bill

07-Dec-16
PMcGee....

The paper harvest tickets are not available yet. You can get them online at ADFG or you can wait and get them when you arrive. I don't know when they will have them available so all we can do is watch and wait.

07-Dec-16
Thanks Kevin

08-Dec-16
Regarding 2018, I spoke with a lady at F&G the other day. You can buy your 2018 license now at the old price now. However, tags for 2018 will be sold at the new prices at a later date.

Mike

12-Dec-16
I just received my 2017 NR moose tag in the mail today. That was quick.

• Sitka Gear