wildlifehunter 17-Oct-16
Charlie Rehor 17-Oct-16
Sawyer 26-Oct-16
Test Man 26-Oct-16
Big Joe 27-Oct-16
Porcupine 27-Oct-16
boothill 27-Oct-16
14-Oct-16
So for years we worked on making our bows as quiet as possible because we didn't want the deer to "jump the string". The other day, as I was enjoying a great afternoon in the deer stand, I looked at my lighted nock and wondered if a deer could see this as it leaves the bow? Light travels at 300,000,000 meters per second in a vacuum. I'm not a physicist but I bet the arrow hasn't traveled far off the sting before the light from the nock has hit the deer's eyes. Then I wondered if the deer would even be able to see the light from the nock because it's at the end of the arrow and not visible if looking straight on from the business end. Something to think about or do I have to much slow time in the stand?

14-Oct-16
Discussed in previous thread. Light is not visible from front of the arrow, so should be moot point from animal's perspective.

14-Oct-16
I have shot 40 plus deer with lighted nocks and I doubt any saw it coming. Lots else to worry about as far as I am concerned. Shawn

14-Oct-16
Lighted nocks are great fun! Don't be afraid:)

14-Oct-16
Being fairly new to this great sport of bow hunting, can anyone suggest what brand I should try.I used the newer style Nocturnals last season and had problems with them coming "un nocked "at full draw.Tried a brand new the other day and coming to full draw on what would've been my biggest buck ever, it happened again .The buck heard the arrow fall and thats the last I saw of that deer.The older style Nocturnals never let me down.Appreciate the advise.Good luck to alI .Mike

14-Oct-16
Agreed - I think it's to hard to see given it's facing the rear of the arrow. Bummer to hear that Hammer. I've been fortunate and had only good luck with old, and new style Nocktournals.

14-Oct-16
I just had my local bow shop re-service my string with a "gripper" service string. I had the same issue with my recurve bow, ie, string came out of nock. I just also added the Nocturnal lighted nock and shot them, no issue with the nock pulling off of the string with the new service.

my best, Paul

14-Oct-16

WVarcher's embedded Photo
WVarcher's embedded Photo
My buck never saw this one coming!

14-Oct-16
Mike, do you mean the nock fits too loose on the string and detaches when the bow is held at ful draw? I assume you use a release below the arrow, or do you use a d-loop?

As noted you could get new serving, but it much easier to simply adjust the nock. This was a common issue many years ago before arrow components were standardized.

Heat a cup or small bowl of water to near boil. Remove from heat. Dip the tip end of the nock into the water for a second or two, then quickly give it a gentle pinch. The heat will temporarily soften the plastic. It will hold the adjustment once cooled. Don't leave in too long or the nock can melt. Keep adjusting until you get the tension you prefer. Works just as well for nocks that are too snug, too.

15-Oct-16
Thanks for the input guys.I do use a d-loop.I'll try the hot water tip and see if that helps.Hunting public land on Long Island gets a lot of pressure so I cant afford any more issues.Gonna give it shot tomorrow and hope for the best.Good luck to all and be safe.Mike

15-Oct-16
bulldog: To be on the safe side, use a HECS suit to suppress those nock photons. :)

16-Oct-16
^^ :D :D

16-Oct-16
I'm thinking about getting lighted nocks but can't decide which one. I've read several good comments about Nocturnal but haven't seen anything on Clean Shot. Looking for info from anybody who has used Clean Shot lighted nocks, and pros & cons of these two options.

17-Oct-16
Shot doe last year clean pass through does the high kick runs off. Well all the commotion has all the other dear around me attention. One old doe locks onto the light from the knock and walks right up and sniffs the knock so my next arrow went right through her not thirty seconds later. Both does pile up about thirty yards apart. I also got it all on video.

17-Oct-16
Clean Shot nocks are shot activated so no failure. I use them on both my compound and recurve. No issues with function.

26-Oct-16
I have been using nockturnals for several years and have had good experiences with them for the most part. I bought a new pack this year though and they fit loose in my arrows and loose on my string and had an annoying buzz if you happened to bump the quiver, I emailed them about it and they sent me a new pack which are nice and tight in the arrows and clip on the string like they're supposed to. Also if you don't get a complete passthru they tend to fill with blood then they don't want to turn off completely and drain the battery.

26-Oct-16

Test Man's embedded Photo
Test Man's embedded Photo
Love the nocturnals, always worked for me.

27-Oct-16
I use Nockturnal because it's the only lighted nocks I can find in South Africa. The other day I shot a few shots at dusk with the newer Nockturnals to look at arrow flight. I was very disappointed with the new nocks. I had a pack of the older ones and never had any issue, but in 9 shots with 3 different nocks, I had one nock working well, one not switching off and one exploding at release. I contacted them and they said that they get some issues with bows of 80 pound and more.

27-Oct-16
I hear ya Big Joe, I put on a new pack of Nockturnal's this year and one morning on stand I nocked my arrow and it turned on. The crappy thing is that it wouldn't turn off so I sat in the stand with a lighted nock.

I've also had multiple others either not turn on or never turn off. For the money there are too many problems. Gonna need to find a different lighted nock the next go around.

27-Oct-16
Switched over to the Clean Shot last year after the Nockturnals kept filling with blood and not working so well after apptempting to clean them. Only issue with Clean Shot is the ring to switch from off to on will buzz if you hit them. I dabbed the edge of ring and nock with string wax and stopped it.

• Sitka Gear