sfiremedic 25-Oct-16
ELKMAN 25-Oct-16
Ermine 26-Oct-16
Matt 26-Oct-16
Urbncwby 26-Oct-16
ELKMAN 26-Oct-16
wkochevar 26-Oct-16
20-Oct-16
Getting ready to buy a new bow and have been looking at colors. I've always shot a camo bow but kinda like the black and olive solid colors. I know it really doesn't matter other than aesthetics, but what do you guys think? How bout some pics of your non camo bows? Thanks!

20-Oct-16

DEC's embedded Photo
DEC's embedded Photo
I have been shooting black bows for the past 6 years. It has never effected my hunting.

My deer hunting bow is in the foreground. Turkey bow in the back.

20-Oct-16

BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
BOWNBIRDHNTR's embedded Photo
I had no issues shooting this coyote with my black and blue Chill R. To me most "linear" things I see in the woods appear black. I see no reason not to have a black bow in the stand or blind. Honestly, I'd hunt with almost any color but would avoid something shiny.

20-Oct-16

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
Black Hoyt Nitrum

20-Oct-16
I am of a different camp. I do nearly everything I can do to potentially minimize my being detected (I hunt exclusively from ground, mainly spot & stalk). I paint my bows flat random shades of camo - they look ugly, but they disappear.

I believe an entirely black bow has an increased chance of being detected.

Sure, lots of guys get away without facepaint/masks, neon bow accessories, etc. But I don't want to leave that to chance.

Guys like Randy Ulmer take camouflaging their bow very seriously, and I'd rather follow his lead. My bow is a tool, not a fashion statement.

Carl

20-Oct-16
no reason to risk a solid bow being detected. go camo.

20-Oct-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
I like the ninja look! Camo is way over rated except for Sitka of course:)

20-Oct-16
I think black vs. camo bow makes zero difference regarding detection by animals.

20-Oct-16
I'd concur from a treestand or in a popup blind camo may not be as critical. But spot & stalk ground ambush, I don't want to leave anything to chance...

20-Oct-16
I shot a black dead eye with red pin striping for a few years, then went to a black energy 35 with electric blue pinstriping for a year killed spot and stalk speed goats with the dead eye and elk speed goat and a whitetail all spot and stalk on the ground with the energy. Hell my rifle group shoots spot and stalk elk every year at sub 40 yards wearing blaze orange shoot the color of bow you like, it really doesn't matter what color your bow is.

20-Oct-16
What smarba said... hunt coyotes on the ground and you'll believe that every little detail helps... Ed F

20-Oct-16
I killed one of my best bucks with a bow that had an electric purple riser and white limbs. It was LH target bow I borrowed after a shoulder surgery. Shawn

20-Oct-16
Mine has the PSE Skullworks pattern; I guess it's kind of silly, but I like it.

20-Oct-16

smarba's embedded Photo
smarba's embedded Photo
Bingo BOWUNTR. I've killed coyotes and turkeys from the ground too.

There are plenty of stories about someone's uncle's friend's dad who smoked 3 packs and drank 2 fifths a day who lived to be 105 years old. Me, I'll play the odds and put things in my favor.

I don't have a good photo of my bow, but here's a snippet from a trophy photo. From the side some of my bow riser is still black (it was originally solid black) but from front view it's completely flat camo. I have quiver and limb pockets covered with fabric both for camo/non-glare and for silence when crawling.

20-Oct-16
Black bow..... archery lingerie...... sex on a stick.... =D

Spot and stalk axis on the ground, I've noticed no difference from my camo bows vs black. It's not a large enough surface to worry about, WRT your bow all the animal should see is a vertical stick, front profile. I do wear leafy suits and even a leafy mask. (thanks Carl!) but in many cases I "hide" behind my bow. Have never had any issues with it. You get caught moving, doesn't matter what you're carrying or wearing.... you're busted.

20-Oct-16
I don't think camo makes a bit of difference on a bow. Heck....Blacktail Bob doesn't ever even wear camo clothing and people are bigger than bows.

20-Oct-16
I shoot 'em with high gloss recurves inside of 20yds. I don't think a black or olive riser will make much difference!

20-Oct-16
Chuck Adams completed the Super Slam (27) wearing blue jeans, buffalo plaid shirt and blue tuke cap.

Ironicaly after completing the Slam he got a contract with Cabelas and started modeling and advertising camo clothing.

Think about how important camo is to success!!

20-Oct-16

Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo
Buffalo1's MOBILE embedded Photo

Green not blue tuke cap

20-Oct-16
great point Buff............just think how good a Bowhunter Chuck would have been had he gotten with the program and "camo'ed" up. No tellin'

20-Oct-16

smarba's Link
I guess so long as we're being nitpicky, it's "tuque"; also spelled "touque" or "toque", a word closely related to the French word toque "toque". But it ain't "tuke" LOL

Buy and use whatever color bow you want. But just hope the one time out of 100 that moving the bow when you turn or draw busts you isn't when the trophy of a lifetime is within range.

Even camouflage bows and components often have a distinctive shine. Recent article by Randy Ulmer link included. Maybe it's not quite as critical in overcast & dark timber. Here in the sunny southwest, everything shines. Randy is recognized for paying attention to the smallest details, and his track record speaks for itself.

20-Oct-16

oldgoat's embedded Photo
Most of mine aren't camo, do have one ILF riser that is dipped.
oldgoat's embedded Photo
Most of mine aren't camo, do have one ILF riser that is dipped.
First time trying to post a pic on the new website from my phone, hope it works!

20-Oct-16
This year I was elk hunting and 2 of my friends were walking toward me. It was sunny. They were walking thru a meadow. I was amazed how much their bows shined and they were about 250 yds away. One had a black Bowtech. The other had a black PSE.

20-Oct-16
When you look around most hunting terrain, there is so much natural black (shadows, tree trunks, rock, etc.), I don't think it matters...never really has for me. When animals get close, un- natural movement is the killer, not the color.

21-Oct-16
Do non camo bows make your butt look smaller? I guess I don't get it.

21-Oct-16
I dislike glossy & black bows, particularly out in the west where I'm typically more exposed & in light colored backgrounds. And I have both. Still debating whether I bust out some rattle cans, tape, or find someone to dip or paint them.

21-Oct-16

Bushwacker's embedded Photo
I wasn't impressed with the all black at first, but it grew on me and now I'm glad I went with it.
I wasn't impressed with the all black at first, but it grew on me and now I'm glad I went with it.

21-Oct-16

21-Oct-16

svrelk's embedded Photo
svrelk's embedded Photo
I'm not into pretty...or shiny.. I've had friends shake their head at me when I grab my rattle cans after buying a $1000 bow.. Flat earth tones.. and I usually redo every time I think I want a new bow.. Only thing I want bright is my arrows..

21-Oct-16

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo
I see nothing wrong with a all black bow!

21-Oct-16
Bow? What bow?!

21-Oct-16

BoggsBowhunts's embedded Photo
BoggsBowhunts's embedded Photo
I love the Stone color from Mathews.

21-Oct-16
Mike Palmer once spray painted my recurve limbs black as a "warranty repair" for stressed glass. It was like turning up the radio to fix engine noise. But it didn't seem to make a difference in hunting effectiveness vs. natural wood limbs.

21-Oct-16
Sky blue is best for tree stand hunting. When game looks up it blends in with the sky.

21-Oct-16
I kinda like the green bows in kellyharris' post.

22-Oct-16
Thanks Kellyharris! I buy when the deal is on, color don't matter, I do like ninja bows though

22-Oct-16
Is that a new kind of draw stop that lady is deploying in the photo above.

If it is that thing should be patented.

22-Oct-16
I'll be getting a new bow and here is my dilemma... I'm going with a hoyt defiant. My choices are: get a new 2017 (carbon vs. non-carbon??) or a 2016 (new in box) defiant for 850. All are camo. I'm leaning towards the 2016 non carbon because the price seems really good. Any advice?

22-Oct-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
this buck did not care if the bow was in camo or not as did many others killed.

my best, Paul

22-Oct-16

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
Kind of partial to my black Mathews but every now and then wish I would've gone camo. This is my first non-camo bow. I don't think the animals notice at all as black is a natural color.

22-Oct-16
Great! I just learned how to fix pictures and now it's changed!

22-Oct-16

ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
ElkNut1  's embedded Photo
Here's a black Elite 32 Energy, my son, the elk had no clue of its color! (grin) Called to 22 yards!

ElkNut1

22-Oct-16
Camo's designed to appeal to the consumer. As long as the finish isn't shiny/glossy, it doesn't make a crapola of difference to the animal.

23-Oct-16
What TD said it doesn't matter what you wear or color of anything, if they see you move game over

23-Oct-16
roy,

are some colors more liable to be seen when they move than others in the woods?

23-Oct-16
I'd like a flat sand riser and olive drab limbs.

23-Oct-16
I agree on shiny bad, flat good, but camo or a solid color really doesn't make a difference, IMO.

24-Oct-16
A bow is naturally "broken up" with open areas like a bush, tree, etc, you can see through it. Not a blob of solid material. My favorite camo patterns have lots of "open" to them, they don't look like a picture of a mossy tree or a forest floor of sticks and leaves that essentially turn into a solid color at any distance. Some patterns like asat and predator I've had animals try to look "through" me, you can tell the animals eyes are trying to focus past you. Even when I've got my black bow.

I agree, shiny is not good. But I see plenty of camo that is shiny too. And not just bows.

25-Oct-16
If we don't care about bright fetchings why would a non camo bow bother?

25-Oct-16
The new buckhorn color (non-camo) hoyt looks awesome!

25-Oct-16
I have black limbs on a bow where Mathews replaced the limbs. The deer, turkey, and elk so far do not notice the change.

25-Oct-16

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo
This is an all Black Turbo. First time I've ever hunted with a Black bow, and if I'm honest I didn't love it. Especially the situation that went down with this bull. We had a 5 minute stand off at 6 yards, but as you can see all it ended as it should, but I don't see me going black in the future for hunting on the ground...

26-Oct-16
They will work, but I don't like black for hunting. I like tan thou

26-Oct-16
"We had a 5 minute stand off at 6 yards, but as you can see all it ended as it should, but I don't see me going black in the future for hunting on the ground... "

Good luck. Once you go black.....

The new Hoyt solid is a great color if you are not camo-inclined.

26-Oct-16

Urbncwby's MOBILE embedded Photo
Urbncwby's MOBILE embedded Photo

Elite Synergy. Black riser, camo limbs, and quiver hood. Stab is wrapped in camo fleece. I just like the black riser and camo limb look. Camo is over rated. Go for no shine and break up the human silhouette.

26-Oct-16
Agreed. The new Hoyt Buckskin is on the way!

26-Oct-16
Elkman, so do you think at 6 yards, your stand-off with that elk was due to your black bow? Just curious....

• Sitka Gear