TD 21-Oct-16
Pyrannah 21-Oct-16
The last savage 21-Oct-16
JIMBOW 21-Oct-16
Beendare 21-Oct-16
Buffalo1 21-Oct-16
Paul@thefort 24-Oct-16
20-Oct-16
I have read some great reviews of the VPA BH on many of the big game threads here on Bowsite.. So I ordered two three packs of the 125 vented VPA BH. Upon opening the packs and examining them they seems to live up to the reviews for being solid steel but upon closer testing of their "out of the box" sharpness, I was somewhat disappointed. At least one and sometimes two of the blades did not pass the sharpness test on each of the BHs.

Yes, they are easy to sharpen and resharpen as their web page states, with a fine diamond file and I did that, to bring all of the blades to razor sharpness.

Should I expect these BH blades to be razor sharp out of the box, or is it up to the purchaser of the VPA BHs to make sure all of the blades are sharp. If they can get one or two of the blades sharp, why not all of the blades? Looking forward to using them in Nebraska next week.

Anyone else have this experience of "dull" blades, out of the box?

my best, Paul

20-Oct-16
I don't know if mine were or not. I just touched them all up before I went hunting (100 gr solids).

20-Oct-16
I shoot the VPA Terminators (3-blade 250 gr 1 1/4", and Big Jim's Big-3 300 gr 1 1/2") out of my traditional bows. Always touch them up out of the package and often throughout the season. Great heads, tough as anything out there!

20-Oct-16
I bought a three pack of 125 non vented last year and only one out three was hair shaving out of the package. They do sharpen easily and hold the edge pretty well, I think they are a keeper.

21-Oct-16
So it seems that my overview is correct concerning "out of the box sharp" issue.

I agree, once resharpened, they are shaving sharp and ready to hunt with. Thanks for the replies.

While the manufacture, does mention that they can be resharpened, they do not state, they need to be resharpened out of the box, prior to going hunting the first time with them. Paul

21-Oct-16
Not that sharp out of the box, but easier to sharpen then the razorblade BHs, IMO.

21-Oct-16
Consider yourself a very lucky man! You're going to hunt the mighty whitetail rut with fresh sharp broadheads and likely your trusty decoy! Morning breaks and deer are on the move! Have a great hunt! C

21-Oct-16
Whilst 'caveat emptor' applies to mostly everything we buy now, when claims are made they need to be supported

Jack Harris on here is someone who knows VPAs and sharpening?

21-Oct-16
I have never shot the vented VPA'S but the 175 grain 3 blades always need to be touched up. A 3 sided jewel stick and they are scary sharp. Paul you also have to remember what is sharp to some is not sharp to others. Shawn

21-Oct-16

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Jack Harris's embedded Photo
This has been discussed many times on here, and Ray of VPA has addressed it. The design of this head is such that you are EXPECTED to shoot them all and often, before you hunt. There is no point in packaging them shaving sharp, and passing that additional cost on to the consumer. That is the beauty of these heads IMHO - I take full responsibility for their sharpness, and I can get them sharper than any factory could. They have and continue to perform flawlessly for me and many others. Good luck!

21-Oct-16

Jack Harris's Link
This link contains my "sharpen for you for free" offer, and several links on how to do it yourself.

21-Oct-16
I expected them to be dull, and they will tell you that they need to be sharpened. ie:) they are not expected to be sharp out of the box.

21-Oct-16
Paul, I've been shooting vpa since 2011 now and have not shot any head since. They don't come "hunting" sharp but I assure you I can have one razor sharp in 2 minutes or less. Typically I set aside 3 or 4 to designate as practice heads. I tune my arrows and make sure they fly good. Then I put a brand new one on, shoot it at 30 yards, if it hits on (which I've never had one head shoot diff than another) then I sharpen it on my stone and hunt. I just got a new pack few weeks ago and it was noticeably sharper than previous packs. I enjoy sharpening mine it's part of the whole hunt to me. If u got questions on how I sharpen them pm me and I'll give my process. It's very simple. Good luck

21-Oct-16
Excellent replies and I really appreciate that. The fine diamond file I used did a very good, "scary sharp" job. Thank you. Paul

21-Oct-16
A couple people covered it, but I spoke with VPA about it a couple years ago. They don't finish sharpening them at the factory and expect them to be shot then sharpened prior to hunting with them.

21-Oct-16
Maybe they should explain all of this on their website and packaging. Not all bow hunters will/can resharpen them prior to the hunt if they think the "sharpness" is what they get and then, good enough.

my best, Paul

21-Oct-16
I bought some 125gr VPA's, attempted to follow some of the sharpening threads, bought a diamond stone, jewel stick, a leather strop and Herb's stropping compound and I can't get these damn things sharp. I'd classify them as really pointy and sort of sharp. That being said, I'd classify a Havlon as being "scary sharp", my VPA's are not even close to that, but they do a crappy job cutting arm hair so I guess that's good enough.

I had no expectation of them being good to go out of the package, I also enjoy doing things like fletching, building my own arrows, attempting to sharpen my own broadheads, etc.

21-Oct-16
ben h - see if they pop a taught rubber band on contact... The angle of a havalon knive is not as steep. Steep angles don't "feel" as sharp and don't shave hair as easily unless you tilt it more. Does it feel sticky on your thumb nail or does it skip? Sound like either you don't realize just how sharp they are or you are doing something wrong.

21-Oct-16
Broadheads such as these are not meant to have the same edge as a shaving razor (Havalon blade or any other replaceable blade BH) but an edge sharp enough to hold it while it passes through fur, skin, and perhaps bone on its way to the important stuff.

21-Oct-16
I just picked up some VPA 125 two blade and while I did touch them up some.... they came fairly sharp out of the package. Guessing the two blades have a better angle on them? Did notice they get some flash rust on them pretty quick though. All I had on me at the time was a little lip balm, seemed to help.

21-Oct-16
ben h, one thing that really changed the sharpening for me was to use a sharpie on the edges and work a file until all the sharpie was gone. mine went from like you describe to actually sharp.

I've since moved on though, they are too expensive and don't fly well enough for me.

good luck

21-Oct-16
Mr Harris , excellent input,and well said..

21-Oct-16
For information purposes and not to boast but I just took 6 animals in South Africa with 150 3 blade VPA'S. I added up the blood trails from ALL of them and the total was 157 yards. I too sharpen them on a diamond flat stone then finish them off with an ultra fine DMT stone, Takes about 2 minutes and they are sticky- crazy sharp and hold their edge through animals. Good luck!

JIMBOW

21-Oct-16
I think VPA's strategy is right on the money. Spin check and shoot them beforehand may save you big time on that once in a lifetime shot. Maybe you got a brand new arrow with bad spine....the worst time to find that out is on a hunt.

I do it as it gives me total confidence knowing that arrow is going to fly to where I'm looking...if not....I can't blame the arrow.

21-Oct-16
I agree with Paul concerning the sharpness out of the box, but with just little work they are one of the sharpest BH in the quiver.

Best of luck in Neb.

24-Oct-16
Just received a good reply from Jeff at VPA stating what you guys already know about the BHs. They will be adding an instruction sheet to the BH packs to explains how to use them, ie, for target practice, and then resharpen them and then also for hunting, with a few strokes of the diamond file. Good idea to clarify why the blades are not exactly "sharp" of the box. Thanks, Jeff.

my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear