kellyharris 24-Oct-16
x-man 24-Oct-16
DartonJager 24-Oct-16
Beendare 24-Oct-16
TD 24-Oct-16
IAHUNTER 24-Oct-16
Ermine 24-Oct-16
22-Oct-16
I think we all know good ways to keep our clothes somewhat scent free by storing them in the right containers and taking care when wearing, and spraying and stuff. But how do you keep the places that you keep the containers or the containers themselves scent free

22-Oct-16
Wash them periodically too. When dry add plants and leaves, soil from your hunt area.

22-Oct-16
Wash in baking soda add an earth scent wafer in and hunt the wind.

22-Oct-16
I put cedar shavings in ziplock bags, then punch a bunch of tiny holes in the bags.

22-Oct-16
Fabreeze sprayed in storage bags and moth balls.

22-Oct-16
Store all containers outside and never bring in house .

22-Oct-16
Forgot to add, I tried smoking my clothes last year and the jury is still out. Going to give it a go again this season and see what happens.

22-Oct-16
This time of year my clothes stay under my wood storage lean-to next to my wood burner .

22-Oct-16
I've used the carbon filters for fish tank filtration, scent wafers, and leaves and dirt from yard in my containers for years

22-Oct-16
Baking soda.

22-Oct-16
For any "next level anything", better get approval from TBM!! Ha

22-Oct-16
I use a commercial ozone unit. The entire room where I store my hunting clothes and their containers are in there. My towels I use after showering are in their as well as all my gear and boots. I do a saturation treatment after every hunt for at least a couple hours. Shawn

22-Oct-16
Also when I hunt out of state, I treat all my hunting stuff right in the enclosed cab of my truck. I run a lead cord and plug in the ozone unit and lay everything out in the truck and it gets an ozone treatment. Shawn

22-Oct-16
Scared me with all that next level talk. I thought TBM was back.

24-Oct-16
Hit the garage sales. Look for a real cedar chest. Put a couple cotton or mesh bags of cedar shaving in the chest and store your clothes, including boots, (in my case, tennis shoes,), in the chest. Been doin it for years. Keep all my stuff in there during the off season. However, a disclaimer. I don't worry much aout it anymore. My deer smell every scent in the world, every day. Diesel fuel would probably be a superb cover scent.

24-Oct-16
Baking soda. Nothing better. But then again there is Pat...

24-Oct-16
30 minutes of a brisk uphill walk to get in front of a bugling bull in Sept will wipe out all preventive measures for scent control. For those of us that hunt elk in Sept, hunt with the wind in your favor AMAP.

And, TBM is on another forum now. Saw a post the other day...

24-Oct-16
LOL, Bou I can see you sitting back with a huge smile reading all these responses.

Doesn't everyone use Ozonics?

24-Oct-16
While treestand hunting, I use skunk paste from James Valley Scents.

24-Oct-16
I can't wash my garage or closet.

I love the smell of Downey on a long hunt.....it is refreshing.

24-Oct-16
TBM's evil twin

24-Oct-16
I am very impressed! Do you guys even fart when hunting? I find the meticulous mindset is good for hunters, but my scent control has definitely taken a back seat lately. I do what I can, but hunt the wind and use nose jammer as a back-up.

24-Oct-16
I love hunting but never found much fun in scent control other than hunting the wind. I believe it can be effective but I'm ok with the level of challenge bowhunting presents when I don't worry about scent control. I'm sure there have been times when a strict scent control regimen would have made a difference. Maybe from hunting the west with a lot of hiking where after the first hill, pretty much whatever scent control measures you take are gone for the rest of the day.

24-Oct-16
I knew a guy that was meticulous about scent control. Then one morning after getting dressed for his hunt he walked down the hallway and got "sprayed" with one of those intermittent (automatic) room deodorizers that you plug into the wall. Just happened to be walking by it when it went off. He said it was a real flowery smell that was not natural to the whitetail woods, so he threw all his clothes in the washer for a short wash cycle. Was very late that morning meeting his hunting partner! : )

24-Oct-16
I don't.

24-Oct-16
Rut Nut, that would imply he was wearing his hunting clothes inside of the house, and would go sit in them in his pickup truck? Or was he hunting his own yard?

24-Oct-16
I wrap my clothing in a contractor garbage bag. I toss several new tarsel glands in with it.

I also pour any leftover deer scent all over my clothing. Then I put is up in the attic where temps get to 125 to 140. This allows the scent to distribute evenly thru my clothing.

Then when I pull the clothes out for hunting season I dribble skunk scent in the bag usually 2 or 3 bottles.

I am pretty sure there is no residual human odor after this?

Its a very affective approach to controlling human scent

24-Oct-16
I just pee on them/ in them. ;)

24-Oct-16
Count me as a reformed scent control fanatic. I say reformed because my scent control protocol became so involved and time consuming as to become not only cost prohibitive and exhausting, but flat out was taking the fun out of my hunting. I also accepted the fact it's simply not possible from a stance of practicality to only take equipment in the field with you that has been effectively descented of human scent. I simply wasn't able to afford the time and money to invest in enough equipment to insure that save for my bow, I would never take the same piece of equipment in the field more than once every 3 days or more. Now I practice as good a scent control protocol as is practical for stand hunting, and as has been said, if your camping while hunting as most of us do while elk hunting, scent control is simply impossible and as it has always been and always will be, wind direction is the all mighty God of scent control. Bottom line with scent control is there are simply far, far to many scent contamination factors that for all intents and purposes can not be eliminated so as to insure you won't carry a scent with you that wont end up spooking deer. Were talking parts per million in terms of a deer's ability to smell us and odors associated with us that spook them. Don't get me wrong I am still extremely careful on trying to keep myself, my clothes and equipment as scent free as is practical and yes I believe it does help, but if the wind is not in your favor, especially traveling to and from your stand, your chances of being winded go up accordingly.

24-Oct-16
I'm skeptical that anyone can emit zero odor in a 5 hour stand sit. Any discussion about next level scent control has to include your breath. How many liters of scented moist air gets exhaled every hour? Mouth wash is only going to help for a short time....

24-Oct-16
Like Deerman I treat all my clothes in my cab, usually driving back from a hunt. The choice of scent normally falls to either a Don Thomas or Rocky Patel..... and it's a personal goal to wash them at least once a month..... or until they start to make a crinkling noise when you put them on....

24-Oct-16
Baking soda washed clothes, change underclothes daily and watch the wind. The last one being key!

24-Oct-16
I don't do any of that stuff. When my clothes get dirty after a hunt I wash them. In regular Detergent. Stoves my clothes in the closet.

• Sitka Gear