Buffalo1 23-Oct-16
CJE 23-Oct-16
PECO 24-Oct-16
squirrel 25-Oct-16
x-man 25-Oct-16
22-Oct-16

Stickhead's embedded Photo
Stickhead's embedded Photo
I have this type of cedar on my property that is very purple in color. If I were to use these blanks for knife handle, will it hold up (is this wood too soft), and will the color stay if sealed, and what should I use? Any ideas or experience is appreciated in advance. I tried this on leatherwall, site will not let me post.

22-Oct-16
A quick Google search showed guys having good results with red and white cedar for life handles, most of my handles are oak or hickory so no personal experience.

23-Oct-16
Because it's a softer wood and will probably dent or crush more easily, you may want to use a more flexible finish than a solvent born alkyd. Shoot me a PM with an address that I can ship it to you and I'll get you a quart of a small particle resin size waterborne poly to try.

23-Oct-16
I can't help at all with your question but WHERE IS IT THAT GROWS SUCH BEAUTIFUL WOOD?? What type cedar and is it always that or just in your local soil?? That wood :) make a gorgeous turkey box call...

23-Oct-16
A local Knifemaker told me cedar is too soft for knife handle. Hardwood is more preferred for handles and grips.

23-Oct-16
It will be too soft for a knife handle. I would send it off and have it stabilized.

24-Oct-16
Squirrel, this wood is from a cedar, maybe Juniper tree here in south central Colorado. We live at 8,000' elevation, high and dry in the foothills of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. We are just north of the small town of Westcliffe. The color is beautiful, but all my research says it will fade. I will most likely not use and just get some purple heart.

25-Oct-16
Thanks for that info, hell I have two of those in my yard here in N-C CO mountains, never knew it was that color, and I have cut a few of them... May have to take my chain saw for a walk and get on dryer stonier soil.

25-Oct-16
It could work. Make sure it is dried properly so it doesn't split later. Finish it with finishing wax only, hand polish. You don't want a thermoset-plastic finish on soft wood.

• Sitka Gear