kscowboy 26-Oct-16
NvaGvUp 26-Oct-16
glunker 30-Dec-16
gunslinger 05-Jan-17
IdyllwildArcher 05-Jan-17
loprofile 05-Jan-17
StickFlicker 06-Jan-17
24-Oct-16
Just received an e mail from a booking agent about a 10 day sheep hunt on Tiburon Island for $90,000. Ridiculous price but I am sure the 4 hunts will sell out.

24-Oct-16

24-Oct-16
I'll take two.

24-Oct-16
Jeeze!

24-Oct-16
It could cost $150,000 and hunters will still pay it. Some guys just have a bigger piggy bank than others.

24-Oct-16
Apparently the cost of a DBHS hunt is going up faster than the COL...

24-Oct-16
There are people that work 5 years to make that much and people who can find that much in the cushions of their couch.

24-Oct-16
Jealous...no. Envious...yes. Wish I had that kind of spare change.

24-Oct-16
Must feel good to know the booking agent called you (grin).

24-Oct-16
Tiburon Island is not where I'd spend my money to hunt DBHS in Mexico. IMO, there are better options.

24-Oct-16
I would seriously question the knowledge of a booking agent who wanted me to buy a Tiburon tag.

24-Oct-16
Kyle, on Tiburon, cant you go back if you don't tag out? Are there other places that do that? I'd think that'd be a pretty big selling point for some.

24-Oct-16
Ike,

On Tiburon. you need a sheep permit and a sheep tag. You get the permit before you hunt and get the tag after you hunt.

A number of years ago a friend of mine bought a Tiburon hunt, got his permit and took a fine ram. But when it was time for him to get the tag that would allow him to bring the ram back to the USA, he couldn't get it, because one of the totally corrupt tribal leaders had sold that tag to someone else!

Sadly, Mexico is ripe with corruption.

24-Oct-16

Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Cazador's embedded Photo
Mexico corruption?

I make my living down here, just got rolled for a few bucks this weekend by a cop. 36 hours in Jail, 2000 peso fine and court appearance or, know your getting scammed and go with it.

Everything is a scam down here, sheep incluido.

24-Oct-16
Mexico's corruption has NOTHING on U.S. corruption....Hillary Clinton might be our next President!?

25-Oct-16
It is down to 3 tags now----

Good luck, Robb

25-Oct-16
It ends when the supply outstrips the demand for the hunt. No different than anything else. Does not matter if it is 90K for a sheep or $1,800 for a pronghorn or bear.

25-Oct-16
As long as people will pay, the price will continue to rise. Go to the sheep show once and see what guys are willing to pay for a Montana Gov. sheep tag. I see no end to this in the near future until the money runs out and that may happen if Clinton gets in. They announced today that the average health care premium is going to rise 20-25% for 2017.

25-Oct-16
Most who would start applying today in the state lotteries will not live long enough to draw a DBH tag. Thus the demand for these hunts by those faced with that reality.

25-Oct-16
Sure glad I drew a NV DB tag back in '91......the first year I put in at the insistence of a hunting buddy that drew a tag the year before. I think the tag was about $900 then. No way that I would spend the money to go on a Mexican hunt......even though I love to hunt sheep.

25-Oct-16
You can still be a successful hunter, and enjoy our passion, with little money. But, without a doubt, there are some things in the hunting world that are reserved for the wealthy - and the frustrating/sad part is that the trend seems to be steadily moving in that direction more and more.

25-Oct-16
Things like this hurt hunting over all in the long run. I already feel we are at the point if negative returns for money interjected into the hunting economy when we look at recruitment and retainment.

25-Oct-16
Not sure I really care about what someone else pays for a hunt. I don't think I could do that in good conscience. That money could do a lot of good for someone. I guess it just goes over my limit of what I think would be acceptable for me to spend on 1 hunt, no matter how much coin I had in the bank. Then again other people might think the same thing about me and how much I do spend. So to each his/her own, I guess 90k is a good deal?

25-Oct-16

Southern draw's embedded Photo
Southern draw's embedded Photo
There is more than one way to skin a sheep. Don't forget about the lotteries that you can win to hunt Mexico for a lot less coin. This was GSCO First Annual Convention in Biloxi, MS.

25-Oct-16
The Seri's own Tiburon Island.

A large portion of the money they get from selling these hunts is supposed to go to support the welfare of their people.

25-Oct-16
$90K for a sheep hunt?

Although not legal, I'd rather keep spending $10K every few years to hunt humans overseas.

25-Oct-16
WHAT?????????

Care to 'splain that one, Lucy?

25-Oct-16
Lol Pat,

What if your sponsors start talking that same talk?

Bou nailed it. Supply and demand.

There already is a cap and $90,000.00 is apparently not the cap if they still have 3 left and 1 has just sold!

Now if the other 3 don't sell they need to back off a bit....

25-Oct-16
If they have three left who were not willing to pop for $90K, then $90K may well be the cap.

You can book a Mexico free range sheep hunt on a yuuuge private ranch who's stock came from Tiburon Island and have five-star lodging and meals for far less than $90,000. Even better, your hosts will be trustworthy and honorable ladies and gentlemen.

26-Oct-16
My father got a ram that scored about 180" right across the channel from Tiburon. It was less than 1/2 the cost of the Tiburon tag listed. That being said, after he got this ram, the landowner started selling the hunts for $60K. Yes, you could go back, and he did. We were unsuccessful (passed on small rams) in November and he went back in January or February and got a bomber ram with 18.5" bases to complete his FNAWS.

Many folks at the Sheep Show were happy to see his ram and know that it was not a Tiburon ram, as those are a "bought trophy" sheep. Yes, it's free range and all but you are guaranteed a book sheep.

26-Oct-16
To my knowledge, you aren't 'guaranteed' a book sheep on Tiburon, but if you're patient, it's highly likely you'll get one.

The place I referred to above allows you to come back and the chances of taking a book ram are outstanding.

30-Dec-16
I would invest in 5 good elk hunts and give the difference away before I would spend $90K on any sheep. What is a troubling trend is alot of these tag buyers have been on very few if any unguided hunts. Basically they are hunting for all the wrong reasons

05-Jan-17
Guys this is not a secret anymore, words out for sure, Tiburon island is not the place to be paying 90k for these sheep anymore, your not killing the 190 rams and to be honest your one damn lucky if you shoot a 180 ram, this is a very challenging hunt on Tiburon and not easy and not for the faint of heart. Nvagvup is 100% right, and that's exactly why a lot of desert sheep hunters are not booking these hunts on Tiburon anymore, I take 4 sheep hunters a year in Sonora and every single one of them is shooting just a little bit smaller rams than on the island, and one of my good friends down there is shooting damn good ram on mainland that I know of. Why would I pay 90k for chance at a 180 ram when I have the same chance on mainland or baja , or elsewhere. your going to see these tag costs come down soon or there just not gonna get booked, period. That's just a fact, you have one of the best sheep outfitters in the world running all the hunts and if hes having trouble selling the hunts theres a reason and the reason is because the quality isn't there anymore, used to be but not anymore and that's just the fact and truth.

05-Jan-17
I don't see bowhunters complaining about the difference between a 190 and 180 DBHS. The quality of the hunt may have gone down and the cost may need to come down, but a 180 inch DBHS with a bow means you just killed the new world record.

05-Jan-17
Thanks everyone. Based on advice in this thread I definitely will not spend $90,000 on a Tiburon sheep hunt!

06-Jan-17
"The quality of the hunt may have gone down and the cost may need to come down, but a 180 inch DBHS with a bow means you just killed the new world record. " Not for long. The world record was recently bought, just like all the other world records will be before too long, by the rich that can buy year-round, state wide hunts. It's a shame.

• Sitka Gear