No.

24-Oct-16
Yup.

24-Oct-16
Yup

24-Oct-16
Yup

24-Oct-16
Yes and no. Electric feeders in places and corn spread on the ground in others. Feeders are the best way to murder hogs ! Corn sprinkled on the ground is better for deer.

24-Oct-16
yes

24-Oct-16
No

24-Oct-16
Nope......our lease has 4 feeders and I have not hunted over them once in 6 years.

24-Oct-16

24-Oct-16
Yes and yes because of my 10 year old girl wanting to hunt. That said IMO big bucks and bait are not a good combo, rare. Considering the work involved, proper placement etc I think the "easiness" of it balances out - meaning if you put that much effort into hunting in general success will be the same with or without bait.

I used to be against it personally, but over the years I have mellowed.

24-Oct-16
I prefer to not hunt over bait but that's because I have good success with trail watching. I do wonder if it plays a role in spread of disease though?

24-Oct-16

24-Oct-16
Legal in Oklahoma on private land. Don't use.

25-Oct-16
Never have, never will.

Good luck, Robb

25-Oct-16
Food is optional water is not! I love hunting water holes:)

25-Oct-16
No. Don't use bait.

Here is the rules for our state: According to Alabama law, it is illegal to hunt game in any area where baiting/feeding serves as a lure or attractant to game. However, when hunting deer or feral swine on private lands only, there shall be a rebuttable presumption that any bait or feed located beyond 100 yards and not within the line of sight of the hunter, is not a lure or attractant on the area where the hunter is attempting to take deer or feral swine. “Not within the line of sight” means being hidden from view by natural vegetation or terrain features.

25-Oct-16
I'm currently having this debate with my hunting partner. He wants to put out a feeder. It is in Kansas and legal.

I rifle hunt over corn in Wisconsin. I hate it. There is no hunting, no scouting, no research, no skill. It is just sitting there watching a corn pile.

In Kansas, I have worked very hard. I have scouted like crazy. I hung or set up about 20 stands/blinds. I have multiple trail cameras out and have studied those pictures in detail. I have researched like crazy using google earth. If I am able to connect with a decent deer, I will be very happy and very proud.

I cant imagine feeling much satisfaction if I just show up and set 30 yards from my buddies corn feeder.

25-Oct-16
Just because your buddy puts a corn feeder down, doesn't mean you need to hunt it. Just do what you would have done and enjoy yourself. Same with Wisconsin - no one is forcing you to hunt a corn pile.

25-Oct-16
APauls....straight on.

Think of bait piles like guacamole. If it's distasteful to you, don't partake. It's your hunt and your experience that counts.

25-Oct-16
I use all food sources. Ones put their by nature, ones put their by farmers, and ones I put there. I also have a one acre irrigated plot 100 yards from my house. In Oklahoma if your not feeding them someone else is.

25-Oct-16
Baiting deer is the surest way I Know to educate deer. Mature deer have zero tolerance for it. I know because I've tried it. Never, not once have my buddies or myself saw a big buck under a feeder. Trail cam pics reenforce that too. But, when we hunted away from the feeders we'd see and occasionally kill one. No feeders for bait for me. God. Bless

25-Oct-16
Not legal in PA except for a few small urban areas where they are trying to cut the herd size.

25-Oct-16
WV... I couldn't agree more!

25-Oct-16
"Mature deer have zero tolerance for it."

Seems to work pretty well in Saskatchewan and Kansas.

25-Oct-16
Didn't our leader just kill a very mature 200" buck as it approached a pile of cut alfalfa placed there for bait?

25-Oct-16
I have hunted over bait in Saskatchewan and loved it! It was an awesome way to look over a ton of deer and they were very relaxed, in Wisconsin i saw something totally different.

25-Oct-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
This one liked it last year as well as every mature buck I've ran across. I've never seen a corn shy buck. The one off pics are dear that aren't residents. They remember where that corn is and when back in the area will hit it.

25-Oct-16
Saskatchewan is different and I'll shoot a theory as to why: Deer need food in a whole different way North of the border. Spend a day outside after November and I won't need to explain any further. They also know this and know how much bulking up they need to do in Sep/Oct to be ready to survive the rut and the insane temps that follow.

Most hunters that I know of from Sask start baiting late summer and bait through fall and into winter. These deer spend almost half their lives feeding from a bait. It's a lot different than throwing out a corn pile for two months of the year. The hunters/acres ratio is completely different than anywhere in the US. Throughout most of the US whitetails are going to have run-ins with hunters, and react to human scent like I do to a skunk with it's tail in the air. Nothing good can become of it. In Sask, there is so little human scent out in the bush in comparison, that if a hunter carefully baits a spot every few weeks there is minimal human scent, and the deer come into very little contact with hunters in general so it also doesn't elicit the same reaction.

That being said, I dabbled in baiting in Saskatchewan when drawn there, and it isn't as simple as throwing food in the bush and the booners come to feed. We actually had a few good bucks hit the baits, (130's to 140's) but they left for the time-frame we came to hunt (the rut) as does are more important, and they were elsewhere. This was right after some bad winters, and we didn't see any bucks anywhere bigger than what hit the baits.

I imagine proper deer hunting over bait to be similar to bear hunting over bait. Just anywhere doesn't cut it - you need to find the right spots to use. You need to be careful in how you bait, what you bait with, and how often you visit the site. Killing a giant bear on a bait is no slam dunk either, and baiting for deer in Sask is a whole different way of hunting that has it's own efforts put in. By no way am I saying it is the most challenging, or the easiest way to hunt either. It is simply different, and it sure works to a degree over there.

Jim Shockey has a video where he kills the buck he is after after 21 straight days I believe it is of sitting the same bait. (100 yards away) He saw the buck once on like day 11 or something at 180 yards and wasn't comfortable with the shot. What if he took those 21 days and sat somewhere else? Would it have been less productive for that deer? More productive? Some kind of funnel? A scrape/rub line? Baiting is one style of hunting, and it isn't for everyone.

I got drawn for Sask this year and most likely will not bait. Simply doesn't make sense for the 7 day season I get as a Canadian resident. The bucks are usually running does hard at the end of Nov, so the bait hunting is tough. You can kill one there, but you can kill one just as easily elsewhere in my opinion. Will it be as controlled of a situation somewhere else? Not likely.

25-Oct-16
Different areas... different results. Different strokes for different folks.

25-Oct-16

drycreek's embedded Photo
Never say never........

Hardly ever would be more accurate. These are certainly not bruiser midwest bucks, but they are about as mature as they get in East Texas.

25-Oct-16
FWIW, I was mistaken. I do have several pictures of a big, mature 10 pointer eating apples I threw out before season about three years ago. He came the first night and never returned.

Maybe they do in those places midwest, Link, and drycreek. They sure don't in WV. And, these were feeders running in the largest bow hunting only area in the lower 48. Been that way for 35 plus years. There is no shortage of mature deer. For better reference, I think Apauls hit on it. When it is around every corner, deer learn to associate bait with hunters.

Just food for thought. I wander how many mature deer, guys in these places don't see because of bait? No one thinks about that. Also, big horns doesn't necessarily mean mature either in a couple of those areas. God Bless

25-Oct-16
Don't agree with baiting takes the fun and skills out of really hunting.

25-Oct-16
WV, I generally agree with your first statement, as all of these bucks pictured are still alive as far as I know. The bottom one I know for sure is, unless someone killed him last week or this week.

I mostly shoot freezer fodder around feeders, or pigs. ( I shoot lots of pigs !)

25-Oct-16
Baiting is legal in most of Wi, feeders are not legal in Wi. Sometimes I will drop a couple apples while walking to my stand, thinking any deer that happens to find one will associate my scent with food. (the chances are pretty slim but there may be a dumb deer where I hunt) I did watch a fox grab an apple one morning, look me straight in the eye and trot off through the woods. Never have & never will hunt over a bait pile.

26-Oct-16
WV stated: "Mature deer have zero tolerance for it. I know because I've tried it."

Well that settles that I guess.

And it is impossible to kill a mountain goat. I know because I've tried it.

It's also impossible to win the lottery. I know because I've tried it.

26-Oct-16
Uhhhhhhh didn't Pat just kill that monster over bait? Sorry boys but I have seen MANY mature bucks killed over bait and have many mature WT on camera before. The only difference is you will only get one or two daytime chances at them and if they feel any pressure they will likely not come back that season.

If you don't want to hunt over bait that's cool but some of us do and love it. I hunt all different ways and they all have their pros/cons.

26-Oct-16
Since I've stuck my nose in... I'll elaborate on what I've seen and only applies where I hunt. First, I'll say this... if you bait, good for you as long as it's legal in your area. In my area that I hunt in SE Oklahoma I've seen it time after time from other hunters putting up feeders and hunting over them with minimal success. The deer catch on quickly and before long they WILL not come into a feeder... could be human factors... could be other food sources... could be the females have drawn them away... whatever the dynamics, mature bucks in SE Oklahoma keep a wide birth, WHERE I HUNT. Yes, I've put up feeders (years back) to monitor early season deer in the area and to attempt to kill hogs over, but never to kill deer over (not my style). Personally, and you can take this however you like... I like hunting an animal, not waiting for it to come to my bait. Feathers ruffled...

BTW...I'd be a blind man if I didn't think there weren't BIG deer killed over bait sites.

26-Oct-16
Anyone who has ever baited/hunted bears for themselves will understand the dynamics and variables of baiting, especially when it comes to trying to harvest a mature animal. To start with, a productive bait site is found, not made.

26-Oct-16
Embry I get your point but will say unless your hunting on the ground spot and stalk your hunting a food source. You might be 10 yards from it or 500 but your catching them from a tree stand as the go to eat. Either way it's an ambush style hunt.

In NW Oklahoma I use corn/food plots to pull deer closer to a tree as there isn't an abundance to pick from. I wish Oklahoma would outlaw baiting but until they do I will. On the small 160 acre parcels I hunt, if you don't have corn out you can sit and see all the deer at the neighbors feeder 700 yards away. It's that simple. I can't hunt my neighbors properties so if I want deer to travel through and stay on the properties I can hunt, a food source is a must. Landowners don't usually want me farming up tgeir grass. You guys can argue over whether I should plant the corn or scatter it.

26-Oct-16
No.

26-Oct-16
"Embry I get your point but will say unless your hunting on the ground spot and stalk your hunting a food source."

Never said I wasn't hunting a food source. I said hunting over a pile of bait/feeder wasn't my thing... nor waiting over a pile of bait. To be clear... I wouldn't hunt over it if I hunted in NW Oklahoma either.

26-Oct-16
Baiters are not real hunters. They give us a bad name.

Hound hunters aren't real hunters. They give us a bad name.

Trail cam and Ozonics users also give us a bad name.

Ditto for food plotter's, sighted/lighted compound shooters, range finder users, scent free camo wearers, multi treestand hangers. You're all giving us real hunters a bad name. Surely there can not be too much scorned heaped on those that check wind and weather conditions, ON-LINE, from their warm kitchen, before they pick their stand. Are you so disconnected from nature that you can't just hold up a wet finger and let Mother Earth speak to you. WE real hunters can feel Her messages through our damp moccasin soles.

And there is a special hate reserved for are all you that have private land or free access to it or worse yet, lease it.

The rest of us real hunters better stick together to save the cherished passion of the pure hunt. WE should all have a copy of the local bus schedule so we can throw those wannabe's under the next one. All six or seven of us.

26-Oct-16
Ambush, don't forget to include the crossbow hunters.... unless they have a doctors note or a sign on their back saying 'Disabled Bowhunter'.

26-Oct-16
Thanks Knife2sharp. I had to quit typing.

Had to replace the sphagnum moss on the finger I cut napping a flint to cut the turkey feathers to go on the hand shaved cedar shafts I gathered while out practicing real woodsmanship.

26-Oct-16
The original question was "do you bait". Some folks said yes. Some folks said no. I personally do not enjoy it and do not bait.

26-Oct-16

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
Embry I understand but just know if you hunted next to me on a standard property in NW Ok and you didn't bait, you would have a few deer bed on your border and get up and immediately head to my plots/corn. If you attempted to get between us you would ruin your bedding area. You say you'd get him during the rut but he must be a 130" 8 or smaller because I had 45 days to hunt before rut and myself and my nephew killed the mature deer. Your options would then be to spend money on corn or more money on a bigger lease where you wouldn't have to contend with me. HA.

This is the average hunting spot in the county I live in. Notice the lone tree just beyond the well location. Some spend a few hundred dollars on corn and some spend a few thousand on a lease. Personally I refuse to lease land yet still have as many deer on the wall as the guys that do. Different strokes for different folks.

26-Oct-16
Cory... "Different strokes for different folks". <<---- That's what I said above also. Best of luck to you and hope you add another one to your wall, using whatever LEGAL method you feel it takes.

MAD_ANGLER... my sentiments as well.

26-Oct-16
Ambush +100000

26-Oct-16
You too Embry. I look forward to your stories.

26-Oct-16
I love these threads lol. In other news, check out Embry's 2005 turkey trophy photo - he didn't have a beard! Clean shaven!!!

26-Oct-16
why would you shoot a turkey without a beard. isn't that the whole objective to get a long beard?

26-Oct-16
I've since learned, it hides my second chin.

26-Oct-16
Kevin Dill - Curious - when did baiting become illegal in OH?

26-Oct-16

kellyharris's embedded Photo
kellyharris's embedded Photo
Best ever

26-Oct-16
ZBONE - where did Kevin Dill say it was illegal to hunt over bait or corn that it was illegal in Ohio?

He just answered the OP question ( Just wondering if legal where you hunt do you use bait piles? )

Kevin simply said NO

26-Oct-16
"WV stated: Mature deer have zero tolerance for it. I know because I've tried it." Bou wrote: "Well that settles that I guess.

And it is impossible to kill a mountain goat. I know because I've tried it.

It's also impossible to win the lottery. I know because I've tried it."

I guess I made that easy for you 'bou. However, I did clarify the point my second post.

'bou; king of the one liners got me on that one. BTW, you did a good job getting right to the point but, missing the important variables that would make your post a valid, indisputable contribution. Just like I did the first post. Let's pat each other on the back. :^)

God Bless men

27-Oct-16
done............consider it a mutual pat!

27-Oct-16
Thanks Kelly!

• Sitka Gear