tradmt 26-Oct-16
Don K 26-Oct-16
WapitiBob 27-Oct-16
LINK 27-Oct-16
APauls 27-Oct-16
WapitiBob 28-Oct-16
LINK 28-Oct-16
25-Oct-16
I just bought a jeep xj and am thinking about building a receiver hitch deer hauler. I want to build it a little bigger and stouter than the 50$ ones with a rail 6-8" up from platform. Surely some of you have modified or built your own. Let's see em.

25-Oct-16
I made all of mine from old bed frames ,1.5" angle iron , 24" X 55" . will hold a 60gt cooler or a big buck . No rails other then what the angle iron provides

25-Oct-16
I'm thinking about doing the platform out of either 3/4 or 1" tubing with runners instead of expanded metal platform.

25-Oct-16
Search Viking Solutions Tilt and Go

25-Oct-16
I have one that will haul a cord of wood. Friend built it for $100. Pics when I get home.

25-Oct-16

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
One inch tubing and slapped some one buys on it. I kind of over build everything. I bet I could load it down so bad I could pop a wheelie in my little tree hugger ride.

25-Oct-16
For hauling gear or firewood, ok. If you're putting a deer back there,not so good. Everything that your tires throw up and your engine exhaust all go back there. Not a recipe for good venison. MP

25-Oct-16

WapitiBob's embedded Photo
WapitiBob's embedded Photo

25-Oct-16
I like that wapiti, what are the deminsions?

Scrappy I'm a notorious overbuilder, ha! I once built an entertainment center out of barn wood that was 5'x7' and probably weighed 450 lbs, lol. When your in college and have a pool table taking up the living room you need something big to get the tv high. This was before wall mounted flat screens of course.

25-Oct-16
Mpdh I have some rubber mat I was thinking I would screw to the platform to help dust, I will also wrap deer in a tarp.

25-Oct-16
Yeah, put it on the front. A lot cleaner on all animals.

26-Oct-16

sam's embedded Photo
sam's embedded Photo
Mine is very similar to wapitibobs. You have to build your own, just not a decent store bought model out there that I've seen. I think I have about sixty bucks in material in this one, it should out last me.

26-Oct-16
I don't want side or walls on mine , I hauled a cloth dryer on it , and a week later a washer .

26-Oct-16
I have saw people driving down the road with a deer on a hitch hauler uncovered, nasty. I put the deer in the sled and cover with a tarp, all sealed up.

26-Oct-16
X man I like that. I was considering making it where it would tilt on the receiver hitch. I'm thinking I'll make a basic one then toy with a tilt style this winter. My fabrication knowledge is limited to my training in farm mechanics. Lol. Maybe I should just buy one.

26-Oct-16
CheeseheadMike built one that tips. I'll see if he has pics.

26-Oct-16
No, mine is a cheap store bought one but you can pull a pin out, hinge it up and put the pin back in to hold it there so it doesn't stick out so far when you're not using it.

26-Oct-16

tradmt's embedded Photo
tradmt's embedded Photo
Kinda prefer a roof rack myself, maybe not quite as handy to load the deer but it sure keeps it out of the way and out of the dust and exhaust and if it's sealed up tight enough to keep dust and exhaust out it surely isn't cooling well.

I would build it so you can use a trailer as well if it were me.

26-Oct-16
That's a lot of trouble to go through to give us a good view of your roof rack tradmt!

26-Oct-16
I wouldn't have thought of parking in a ditch to lower the roof level to make it easier to load the deer. good idea. lol :>)

26-Oct-16
Lol trad. You get out of that without help? I have know idea how I would get a deer on a roof rack, but I do like your rack. Most of the bucks in my area dress 160-220 and I'm not quartering in the field. I do have a small trailer like the one in your picture.

26-Oct-16
Lol, unfortunately I wasn't loading a deer.

I should add that not only will that winch get you out of stuff like this it can pull a deer onto the roof. :)

26-Oct-16
I hear ya LINK, I just got to thinking one day after busting my ass dragging a deer and then having to wrestle the damn thing into a pickup bed just to take it home and cut it up seemed kinda silly. Cut up first, and then pack.

Besides, an xj without a winch is like your bow without arrows. :)

26-Oct-16
I built one years ago from a hitch extension I used when I had my slide in camper on. Got hassled once from a officer because my rear license plate was not visible when I had the hauler loaded. (almost got ticketed) Now I remove the rear plate and mount it on the hauler so I cant give them a reason to hassle me......

27-Oct-16
Link, I'll get you the dims tomorrow.

27-Oct-16
Thanks bob. Don K surely you know cops better than that. After you move the plate you'll get pulled over for no tag light. Ha. For the record my brother is a state trooper.

27-Oct-16
trad - I have to 2nd the comments on that beautful ramp. Plus, if you shoot the deer with a rage you can flip it over to the side without an exit hole, and you won't even have a blood slide all the way up across your windshield ;)

28-Oct-16
Link, outside dims...

60 x 30 x 9, 1 1/4 square tubing

28-Oct-16
Thanks bob.

• Sitka Gear