t-roy 25-Oct-16
tadpole 25-Oct-16
JohnB 26-Oct-16
25-Oct-16

Porcupine's embedded Photo
Having moved to the mid-west a year ago and only having 1 deer season under my belt I find myself second guessing stand locations. I could use some help from experienced hunters.

A little background of where I am hunting. This particular farm is 600 acres, only 300 of it is in the attached picture as it is the portion with the favorable hunting land. This year they planted beans and were cutting them a week ago. When I hunted this farm last year I only saw one decent buck and didnt have any good trailcam pictures until January when I had pictures of a 145" 9pt and a 135" 8pt. I only hunted the Eastern portion of the farm but was alway intrigued with the western portion. When I shed hunted the farm last year I found the attached skull across the creek from where I considered hunting last year but never did.

This spring I hung a stand and have been collecting a lot of doe/fawn trailcam pictures along with 1 150+" buck. I have not hunted this stand partially due to the difficulty in accessing it across the bean field but also holding it for my son's youth season which is this weekend.

I really like the current stand location, its in a bottleneck section of the timber, crops all around it, and multiple bedding areas near by. The tree that I have my stand in is on the north side of the creek bank, 5' between the tree and the creek & 10 yards off of the bean field. Its too thick to see let along get a shot into the bean field and all of my focus would be to the south of me in the timber bottoms.

I am considering placing a stand on the south side of the creek along the south property fenceline hoping to open myself up to the option of hunting North winds.

1. Of the two ? stand locations, which one looks better on paper? 2. How would you enter the stand, Option #1 or #2?

Thanks for the help!

25-Oct-16

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Have you been able to determine from scouting or watching from afar if they cross between cut bean fields close to the "X"? Seems like a pinch, but not sure with what the deer movement is like there.

Have you asked a neighbour to get access through that wheat field? Sure would be nicer than walking through the bush.

25-Oct-16

Adam, where your X is located there is a bedding area about 50 yards to the east and then another one about 200 yards NE. Its a difficult spot to get into as the creek bank throughout that section has 10' high steep banks.

Here is a picture of the entire farm, the largest concentration of deer and activity is in the SW portion of the property. There is about 15-20 deer that hang out in the south central/central portion and they move from the neighboring property to the south. With typical winds being SE/S or NW/N its tough to hunt their movements.

Maybe I am over thinking it, but it seems safer with those winds to hunt east/west movements?

And no I havnt approached the property owner to the south primarily because they hunt and the fields to the south are smaller which I would assume may hold deer during approaching walks.

25-Oct-16
What does the sign on the ground tell you ?

Read it, hunt it.

Good luck, shoot straight.

25-Oct-16
Hunt where the deer are

25-Oct-16
The spot that APauls marked looks to be potentially a good pinch point spot. Is there a tree a little bit further WSW of your existing stand that would work? Are you allowed to trim any shooting lanes? Are you looking at only hunting these spots in the afternoon or in the mornings as well?

25-Oct-16
Getting up a steep creek bank of only tenfeet is easy. Just bring an old wooden ladder and lay it up the bank...climb up!

26-Oct-16
I would be around Adams X plenty of s. to sw. winds before late season gets here. It's going to be a warm youth opening weekend as well I will be out as well. Good luck to your son!

• Sitka Gear